Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:34 am 
Rabbit

gogh_me~

I am at the same aerobic level as you, so no worry! Being conditioned in one area, doesn't quite equate with the other areas. I think a heart rate monitor makes the playing field level! Go slow, challenge your self to increase your work capacity...either with more reps or increasing the speed or explosiveness as you notice your heart rate level declining (as you become more conditioned). Don't try and push it too hard too fast or you'll end up injured, but go too slow and you'll become bored with lack of progress. Listen to your body and keep an eye on the heart rate monitor and I bet you'll be suprised with how quickly you'll advance! And then, BOOM...you'll be out on that field passing up all your competition!

And don't forget to nourish your new found muscles properly so they can help support you in acheiving your dreams!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:45 pm 
Rabbit

Jason- The energy bars can be found in The Thrive Diet book so if you make them and like them check out the book.

1 small apple (cored)
1 cup fresh or soaked dates
1/2 cup sprouted quinoa (or cooked)
1/4 cup almonds
1/4 cup ground flaxseeds
1/4 cup hemp flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
sea salt to taste

Blend it in a food processor until smooth. Then transfer to a clean surface and make a loaf. Cut into 12 pieces to form the bars. Place a sheet of wax paper on a baking sheet and put the bars in them and freeze. Once they're frozen you can either wrap them individually or put them in a freezer bag.

HighVelocity- Thanks for the advice again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:49 pm 
Rabbit

I did nothing physical today and enjoyed every minute of it :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:49 pm 
Rabbit

Glad you enjoyed your day off!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:36 pm 
Rabbit

Did more bboying today. I love it so much!
I also did 30 mins of stretching.

Good day. Good day.

Food however... I'm coming to the decision of including cooked foods in my diet. I cannot seem to eat enough calories when eating all raw, its so much volume! A salad that has 100 calories makes me too stuffed to eat for 2 hours. My smoothie of 350 calories takes me over 2 hours to drink, its so filling. I don't know how people get everything down, maybe it just takes time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:29 am 
Cut your smoothies in half if their taking that long to drink. Smoothies should be taken in very fresh. If you have trouble filling yourself with calories try dried fruits...they're very dense. If this doesn't work maybe raw isn't right for you. If you feel sustained by few calories(I know I do when I'm raw but I can also eat tons of raw calories when I feel like it) then keep going but if you feel you need a lot more and can't do it then don't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:47 pm 
gogh_me wrote:
Veganpotter, I don't like your know-it-all attitude and I would like for you to keep it out of my log from now on please. You don't know what level I'm at and you don't know what a workout is to me. I shouldn't have to defend myself against some stranger's assumptions so just stop it.

HighVelocity, thanks for being reasonable. The only cardio I've done in the past year is low intensity and its been sporadic at that. I have a HRM but I haven't been using it when I dance or do aerobics, I've opted for the "how wet is my sports bra" test :wink: but I think I will start using it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Whoops...just noticed this so I'll be outta here for the most part. Thing is it doesn't matter what level you're at. Cardio is cardio...it has a specific definition. Cardio in itself is an exercise done for an extended period of time...plain and simple...not much too it. Heart rate is relative to everyone and 60% of my heart rate is much different in terms of performance than someone elses 60% but that 60% is the key no matter who you are. These zones are what determines what your body is burning and whats doing all the work...your heart or your muscles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:59 pm 
Rabbit

Yesterday was a reluctant day off. I didn't work out before my hair appointment and then my hair was too fabulous to get sweaty so I just stretched for 30 mins.

Today I actually went out jogging for 30 mins.

I need to step it up. I need to start up GTG again. But I have taken a step that I hope really turns into something. I found a local cycling club and I'm going out with them Saturday. I miss biking so much and I'm so happy I've found people to bike with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:06 pm 
Manatee

Another Pavel fan! That Cindy Crawford workout actually sounds great for building endurance. I may just have to try it myself, just don't tell anyone :lol: .

You mentioned getting back into GTG. If so, it would be great if you could post how you're applying it. I've always been curious how a lifter knows how much is enough versus how much is too much. I was always more of a PTP guy, since the routine is easier for me to "set in stone," if that makes sense. Keep up the great work, Comrade Gogh_Me :D .

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:14 pm 
Rabbit

I just did the legs for Cindy Crawford today, will get around to the abs after showering. I'm avoiding the upper body because my wrist is really painful today (not an injury, just a chronic problem I've had treated unsuccessfully). I hope it is better tomorrow afternoon because I finally used my Christmas gift card on the missing piece in my gym, an incline bench! I can hardly wait to try it out.

Hi Mike, thanks for commenting. I totally forgot about PTP until you mentioned it, I think you might have made me hold off on GTG even longer in favor of PTP.
I'm having a hard time mentally preparing for GTG because of what you mentioned, overtraining is definitely a "once bitten, twice shy" experience. Heaven knows I've overtrained a couple times on max strength techniques and ended up avoiding the gym for over a month, I cannot have that.
And you should totally try Cindy Crawford's The Next Challenge. Check out Amazon's ratings for it if my enthusiasm isn't enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:15 am 
Rabbit

EEEEEE! I went for my group bike ride this morning, it was a bit over an hour. I enjoyed it so much I looking foreward to next Saturday already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:12 pm 
Rabbit

veganpotter wrote:
Whoops...just noticed this so I'll be outta here for the most part. Thing is it doesn't matter what level you're at. Cardio is cardio...it has a specific definition. Cardio in itself is an exercise done for an extended period of time...plain and simple...not much too it. Heart rate is relative to everyone and 60% of my heart rate is much different in terms of performance than someone elses 60% but that 60% is the key no matter who you are. These zones are what determines what your body is burning and whats doing all the work...your heart or your muscles.

And I just noticed this.

I don't know what you're still trying to get at. Since I'm not able to go as long as you can I'm not doing cardio??? Google aerobics if you don't know what it refers to.

Quote:
Definition of Aerobics:

Using the same large muscle group, rhythmically, for a period of 15 to 20 minutes or longer while maintaining 60-80% of your maximum heart rate.

Quote:
Many types of exercise are aerobic, and by definition are performed at moderate levels of intensity for extended periods of time. Aerobic exercise involves a warming up period at 50-60% of maximum heart rate, followed by at least 20 minutes of exercise at an intensity of 70-80% of maximum heart rate and a cooling down period at an intensity of 50-60% of maximum heart rate.

Quote:
The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) defines aerobic exercise as "any activity that uses large muscle groups, can be maintained continuously, and is rhythmic in nature." It is a type of exercise that overloads the heart and lungs and causes them to work harder than at rest.

Quote:
Aerobic exercise is any extended activity that makes you breathe hard while using the large muscle groups at a regular, even pace.

You insistance that I don't know what I'm doing is rude and irritating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:21 pm 
Rabbit

So I did my upper body using my new bench in as many ways as possible. I didn't have any scheme in mind when I went at it, I was just eager to hit the weights again.

Incline Bench BB Press
3 x 75 lbs x 12

Incline Bench DB Bicep Curl
3 x 19 lbs x 12

Incline Bench Leaning DB Lateral Raises
3 x 14 lbs x 12

Incline Bench DB Rows (I admit, lame exercise, I just wanted to use my bench for my rear delts, my weak little rear delts)
3 x 25 lbs x 12

Lat-Pulldowns
3 x 80 lbs x 12

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:31 pm 
Those are for aerobic exercises...true cardio/fat burning is different. 70-80% of your max heart rate is way too high to hold for extended periods of time. Cardio/fat burning is done at a much lower heart rate and its relative to the person. So long as you have enough fuel in the tank...everyone can maintain a 60% of max HR for over an hour. Thats why heart rate is universal. I could hold the same 60% of my max HR for three hours when I was 300lbs as I can now. Only now I'm going much faster...but really the effort is the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:16 am 
Rabbit

But I'm not doing it for fat burning, I'm doing it for my heart and mostly for my poor gasping lungs. I had no idea there was "true cardio" because I've never seen a source with such a limited definition as yours, but I'll just refer to it as aerobics now.