Ben's Trog-Liog (Training + Life Blog)

Results from Sunday's 30K

Man on man, this was probably physically the hardest race I have done yet, it was nothing but hills up and down. up and down.

check out this quote from this article written about it

"In this 18.6-mile race, there was not a single easy stretch of running. If you weren’t climbing up one monstrous hill after another, you were falling off the cliff down the other side. Toss in a troublesome, blustery wind and some unseasonably warm conditions and the ARA 30-K is a race that will be talked about (and grow in legendary status) for years and years to come."

http://www.runtex.com/web/1-1162.asp

click above for full text, although it also has this quote in it as well.

Just how hard was it? Perhaps third-place finisher Michelle Maton summed it up best when she said afterward: "The marathon {AT&T Austin Marathon on February 17th} will seem easy compared with this race."

ANYWAY, I think I did pretty allright considering I haven't done much hill training at all (totally flat at home where I was for the past 3 weeks) and had been doing hard cycling for the previous 4 days with no real break.

I got 5/11 in my age group and 101/705 overall with a time of 2:33:28 with a average pace of 8:13 but I totally slowed waaaaaayy down towards the ends espeically with some of the steep hills I felt like I was nearly crawling up them I was running so slow. My super goal was to place in my age group and while I was only a minute way from 4th the 3rd place was done in 2:14:47, over 15 minutes faster- yikes!

I was paceing with the woman who was the overall female master winner in the beginning/middle but of course she pulled ahead of me after a few hill and ended up with a time of 2:26:42.

After I'm recovered I plan on def. working on alot more hills, but I feel that the marathon while it may be longer is going to be a way easier course.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got 5/11 in my age group and 101/705 overall with a time of 2:33:28 with a average pace of 8:13 but I totally slowed waaaaaayy down towards the ends espeically with some of the steep hills I felt like I was nearly crawling up them I was running so slow. My super goal was to place in my age group and while I was only a minute way from 4th the 3rd place was done in 2:14:47, over 15 minutes faster- yikes!

Wow, great result, especially your overall placing. My goal is to do 30k in about the same time. Hopefully without all the hills.

Now that school has started up we'll see how I'm able to keep this up.

I've been on the green cleanse since sunday night and so far its been going good. Nothing but green smoothies and raw green soups, no fats nuts or seeds (or vega!). I haven't felt hungry or deprived or had any food cravings the only tiny thing is that I have urges to bite into a pear or apple instead of putting it into a blender, but I just have to mentally check myself momentarily and then everthings good. my meal lay out doesn't look that interesting but today it pretty much looked like this

9:30- green smoothie

12:40- green smoothie

4- 20 oz green juice

5-blended frozen bananna with water

1 hour easy run

6;20- green smoothie

7:40- raw green soup

and probably at 9:30 I'll pureee two frozen persimmons for dessert and put some spirulina on them to make it green mmm

Taking it easy to recover from the rough 30K on sunday, monday 6 miles bike, tuesday 20 minutes swim, wednesday 20 minute jog, and today I finally got out and did a 1 hr light run.

I have a little twinge of pain in my left butt when I run and sometimes just when I move it wierd. I also have a bruise over there so I think Im gonna go to the trainer tomorrow and see if I injurged something during the 30K or if it is just from the bruise.

There's a 50m bike race next weekend that I think some of the guys from the cycling team are doing..well see about that, my thought is to wait until the colllegiete races come around/ I get a little faster but on the other hand it might be good for me to get out there and get my butt kicked OFFICIALLY before I start nearing the marathon taper period.

I did just a hour of laps around campus and worked cornering a little bit as well, mabye tomorrow I'll go out on a ride with the team but I'll see how I feel especially since I'm on the cleanse, but I might just eat a ton of bannas before and bring some water w/lime juice and dulse in it and mabye bring some banannas with me on the road.

Went to the trainer and the shooting leg pain was just because of the bruise and I apparently bruised? one of the nerve too, she said it would go away as the bruise went away so at least its not a serious injury as I feared.

Well I finished up with my green cleanse sunday night and broke it with a meal of tasty raw burritos. I'll probably stay raw (but with solid food and not just smoothies/soups) for the new couple of days. I'd like to try 100% raw but I may just got back to 80-70% for now and wait until I'm in a less hectic time/place (this summer?)

I'm behind on my marathon training and am gonna go for a 21M run tomorrow. The run I am doing is basically the Austin Marathon, just with about 5 miles in the middle taken out, so it should give me a good idea of the route and whatnot.

I just signed up for a 50m bike race on saturday- ack!

You're lucky. There aren't any 50mile races on the road for people that aren't cat 1/2/3...actually there are only 2 in the area for cat 3s and the rest are for 1/2 riders. The longest Cat 4 races are 15-20miles at best...crits are that long but no road races.

Tuesday I went on a great 21m run that was basically the marathon with the northernmost 5 miles chopped off and it was WAYYYY EASIER than the 30k i did a week ago. I was still running about 8 minute pace but I think that with the race adrenaline and if I work on my speedwork over the next 4 weeks I should easily be able to get in the 3:15 range.

Had my 50m bike road race yesterday. My goals going in were to 1. not get last 2. have fun 3. get a good workout in and it was haha...well i got dropped from the pack pretty quickly and probably got like 5 or 6 from last but for the most part was by myself so just made the best of the situation and tried to make it a good workout and not worry the race (not like there was anyone around me). but I look forward to learning more and focusing and getting faster on the bike after the marathon.

Ugh I had brunch at the macrobiotic palce in town and its a brunch buffet and ate a very un-macrobiotic amount...hopefully my stomach will be empty enough for me to do a 5K tempo run in a little bit.

{edit}

yea totally am still full from brunch, after about a mile into the 5K I slowed down and just did a light pace for the rest, I knew I shoulda done it right when I woke up in the morning but my apartment was too messy I just had to clean! haha

got in a light leg workout after my hour run today. I think I'm gonna try to keep up with the weight training (I'm under 110 now sometimes- want to at least be able to donate blood!) with 2 lower body and 2 upper body workout somehow squeezed in a week.

I'm thinking about scheduling a massage for the day after my 22m run (probably sunday)before I enter the marathon taper but we'll see.

Had my 50m bike road race yesterday. My goals going in were to 1. not get last 2. have fun 3. get a good workout in and it was haha...well i got dropped from the pack pretty quickly and probably got like 5 or 6 from last but for the most part was by myself so just made the best of the situation and tried to make it a good workout and not worry the race (not like there was anyone around me). but I look forward to learning more and focusing and getting faster on the bike after the marathon.

Chances are...that race really slowed down after you got dropped...they always do. The first race I ever did was a Cat 4/5 12 lap crit...the first three laps all averaged 27mph...after that it dropped to an easy 21. I got dropped the first three laps...then caught up after 2 more. I didn't get dropped again until the 9th or 10th lap when they picked things up again. Enthusiastic Cat 5 riders are notorious for starting races fast thinking they can keep it up...then it almost goes to a crawl. Often times if you force yourself to stay near the middle you'll be fine. It'll kill you at first but then it'll die down and be easy until the last 1/4 of the race.

Well I hate to admit this but i think.......i got

.....a cold

not to bad, and I know Flu is in full swing here in Austin right now, so if this is the flu's manifestation for me than I guess thats allright. For the past two days I've been a lil bit sniffley and then this morning i didn't feel too great and I had a bloody nose when I blew it.

So in interest of being 100% for my 22m run on sunday I'm gonna take the day off and hope that my body can heal itself better than if I put in the hour long fartlek and lower body weights workout that I was planning on doing today.

Today I did my last long marathon training run before I enter the taper

I did 22m in 2:45 with an average 7:30 pace which would put me at a a 3;15ish marathon time, would I would totally be cool with, but i betcha that during the race I am probably gonna be pushing myself a wee bit harder than during the training run so I'm totally hoping to get sub 3:10, which we give me a boston qualifying time hehe which would I;d be super cool with for my first marathon.

I had been running closer to 8/m miles on the long runs but today i ran with the other guy from the cross country team thats doing the marathon and running withsome else helped me keep a good paace and not slow down during the end I guess.

I;m thinking of racing a 5k or mabye a 10k next saturday, but kinda leaning towards the 5k.

I scheduled a massage for tuesday because the place where I get a discount were mostly booked tomorrow, but I might skip my last class If i can get it changed to late monday late afternoon (which they did have an opening but I have class) but well see. it will be my first proper massage so I'm excited none-the-less

went to a mediterrian potluck tonight and ate juuuustttt a bit too much, jeez im gonna go try to finish my music theory homework before i pass ouuuuuutt

went out yesterday morning with another guy from the cycling team to do some hill repeats but he got a flat like 5 minutes into it...so I just rode around and did some hills for about an hour and then did a quick lower body workout in the gym.

likewise today just did a breif jog and then an upper body workout. In leiu of acutally racing a 5K tomorrow, I'm just gonna run one reallllly hard (hopefully get under 20 minutes) and then go to the farmers market to relish in some fresh citrus

went out today and ran a mildly hilly 5k at race pace (in leiu of running an acutal 5k race today) and was pretty pleased. I did it in 19:40 which is 30 seconds faster than the last time I acutally ran a good 5k (bout a month ago) and this had quite a few mild hills in it.

right before I got a flattop ( o yea!) haircut, mabe thats why I went faster than before?

went to a raw food potluckk and aaaaaatteee waaaayyy too much ( a reacurring trend at potlucks for me...). I don't care how many enzymes were present my tum tum still hurt. heh

stayed up late last night listening to my gf's radio show and didn't get up till 9 and because I wanted to get going on stuff for the day only did like a 4-5 mile easy light/run.

hopefully tomorrow I can get up in time for an hour of fartleks before class. I just signed up to help work on the garden of the macrobiotic campus/restaurant on sunday afternoon and will be getting free brunch out of it. something tells me I'm going to be rather full while I'm gardening...haha

• 2 weeks later...

Well the big race is 4 days away and I think I'm ready. tomorrow just gonna do 20 minute job, friday off, saturday 20 minute light job and then sunday is 26.2

my legs/knees feel a bit wonky, but I havnen't been icing them as much as a I should of. if still not feeling top tomorrow may schedule a massage for friday but don't really feel like spending another 35$, but should probably schedule one for the monday after the marathon anyway?

Well today was the marathon!

Things started out well and I followed my plan of sticking between the 3:10 and 3:15 pacers and slowly moved into the 3:10 pack after a few miles of warm up. I stayed with them for a bit but then gradually started to shift back and lessen my pace. I was still going pretty strong until about mile 20 (the the part of the course that I hadn't run in training) and I started to slow down.

I then kept with the 3:15ers for a bit and then they passed me up. The last 5 miles or so were pretty tough for me and my legs felt pretty dead. during the last 1 1/2 the 3:20 pacers passed me, which I was a little disappointed with but unfortunatly didn't have it in me to kick it into a higher gear.

I ended up with a time of 3:22:07, which I would of like to have gotten 3:15 but am still very pleased with for my first marathon. Next one I do, totally plan on getting a Boston qualifying time (3:10) and if its in Austin train on the full course and not just 3/4 of it.

Also my nips are chaffed, first time that has happened during a run!

I got about 4 "Go Vegan!" comments..I was wearing my organic athlete racing singlet..over a long sleeved technical shirt which I wish I hadn't had on because I got a bit too hot. next time just wear a junker sweater that I toss off and then just be in the racing singlet.

Planning on taking this week very very easy and hopefully get a massage on tuesday if I can schedule it.

other stats for me

29/214 in my age group (20-24 M)

360/5134 Overall

316/3093 Men

62.1% Age Graded Results

"Age-Graded Rankings"

100% = Approximate World-Record Level

Over 90% = World Class

Over 80% = National Class

Over 70% = Regional Class

Over 60% = Local Class

for more info on age-graded rankings

http://results.active.com/pages/age_grade_help.jsp?rsID=59455

• 1 month later...

haven't really kept up with this since the marathon, but may give it another go now.

Today I did my first crit and it was...a good learning experience.

Racing Cat 5, I didn't feel like I would be left behind too quickly but I was totally wrong. I'm so still not used to sprinting on a bike and rather still have that long-distance running mentality of taking it easy in the beginning. I ended up getting 2nd or 3rd to last, but there are these quasi-informal crit's every thursday night until 5/1 so I plan on hopefully doing better the next time I do one (probably in two weeks)

I also didn't feel like I pushed myself hard enough, especially after one of my teamates (who got 4th in the Cat 4's) told me that he felt like he was going to throw up during the whole second half haha

Upcoming I've got collegeite stage race/crit on the 5/6, then an 150+ houston to austin non-competitive ride 12/13, and then the last collegiete road race/crit of the season on the 19/20.

After that I might do a running trail 30k or 10K on 5/4 , then India for 3 weeks aftewards full on triathlon time!

woke up early and headed to the pool for good quick work out

warm up

5 X 66m in 60 seconds, 30 second breaks

2 X 400m in 7: 30, with 50 second break

cool down

was gonna do some weights after I was done with everything on campus in the afternoon but by the time got done laying out my newspaper page, I was a bit hungry and tired. Speaking of hungry went to the macrobiotic restaurant in town for dinner and had ....3 plates of this food, haha, I think acutally had 4 samosas, gosh darn it they were good.

Soup: Turnip, Cauliflower & Summer Squash Soup

Grain: Short Brown Rice

Bean: French & Red Lentils

Greens: Mixed Greens w/ Cilantro Pepita

Veggie: Sweet Potato Samosas

Pickle: Kim Chi

Salad: Mixed Greens w/ Miso Cilantro

Sauce

for one reason and then another didn't get around to do any training yesterday and it was gonna look like that today but didn't

road bike is in the shop so hopped on my mtb and did some spin-ups on a downhill in nearby neighborhood, which ended up being fun. I should do those more often, should help me get used to a higher cadences and whatnot.

did two workouts today, an early morning swim that consisted of

warm up

6 x 66m in 1 min w/50 second rest

4 x 200m in 3:40 w/20 sec rest

cool down

and then around 5 did a weights workout.

hmmmm the early registration pricing for the San Antonio marathon/half marathon in nov. ends tonight.......

• 1 month later...

ack I totally didn't post in here the whole time during collegiete cycling season. so I guess I might sum it right if possible.

It was more than anything a learning experience. I got in a few crits and roadraces and two TT's one of which being a total uphill 1KM sprint. I look forward to growing better as a cyclist this summer and next season whoop it up.