A couple of questions

CrispyQ

When I do lat pull downs, I can feel the muscles in my back working. But as I let up, it feels more like my arms working. Am I doing something wrong? Do I just need to concentrate more on using my back or is the nature of this exercise?

And, second, I'm curious how much wieght some of the women here are bench pressing.

Theres one girl that can do 280+ lbs on bench press. I posted her pic on here a while back, so she's prolly way past 300 lbs already.

Who is she?

Mariam Power. Shes only 150 lbs and she is all muscle (but isnt like those roid users).

http://images.google.com/images?q=mariam+power&svnum=100&hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&safe=off&filter=0

Ah yes, I do remember seeing her pictures before. Cool.

Theres one girl that can do 280+ lbs on bench press. I posted her pic on here a while back, so she's prolly way past 300 lbs already.

Who is she?

Mariam Power. Shes only 150 lbs and she is all muscle (but isnt like those roid users).

http://images.google.com/images?q=mariam+power&svnum=100&hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&safe=off&filter=0

Ah yes, I do remember seeing her pictures before. Cool.

She's beautiful, I like her. She doesn't have a mans body, but boy is she strong. Also at 150 lbs, man that's a huge lady! Heres a video of her talking:

http://www.naturalbodybuildingcanada.com/mariam_interview.wmv

Crispy, before you even start to do the lat pulldown, pull your shoulder blades together as if you were going to pinch a quarter between them. Keep this position throughout the workout. Also what CollegeB said, go a bit slower as well on the way up.

Thanks. I will try both suggestions!

Crispy, before you even start to do the lat pulldown, pull your shoulder blades together as if you were going to pinch a quarter between them. Keep this position throughout the workout. Also what CollegeB said, go a bit slower as well on the way up.

Thanks. I will try both suggestions!

You are welcome. With most Lat exercises, such as rows and lat pulldowns, you always pinch your shoulder blades together before you even pull it back or down, and you keep it this way until you are finished with that set.

Also at 150 lbs, man that's a huge lady!

I'm 150... unfortunately it's not primarily muscle.

how does being 150lbs and female constitute being huge? kathryn is 145lbs and she is anything but huge. johanna, over on vegan fitness (german international rugby player) is 175lbs+ and she looks great.

i hate it that women who are say 5'9" are expected to be 125lb. its unfair and unhealthy.

jonathan

how does being 150lbs and female constitute being huge? kathryn is 145lbs and she is anything but huge. johanna, over on vegan fitness (german international rugby player) is 175lbs+ and she looks great.

i hate it that women who are say 5'9" are expected to be 125lb. its unfair and unhealthy.

jonathan

As I mentioned 150 is a healthy range for women. But comparing a 150 lb women to the normal "healthy" women, it is pretty big since they are mainly 120 and lower.

As I mentioned 150 is a healthy range for women. But comparing a 150 lb women to the normal "healthy" women, it is pretty big since they are mainly 120 and lower.

The healthy range for my height (5'5") is somewhere around 112-150, if you buy that BMI stuff. I'd guess that most women who are within that range (and apparently, most women in the US are overweight and would be above that range) are at the higher end of it.

For myself personally, I do think 150 is a little heavy, and I'd like to get in the 135-140 range. I can't imagine getting below 135 with my body type. I've been 140 for most of my adult life, so that's probably the most reasonable target for me. Of course, since I started working out I have been trying to rely not so much on scales and more on how I look and feel.

I do understand about 150 being pretty big for a bodybuilder, though. A bodybuilder would have very little fat, so being 150 pounds would mean having a lot of muscle mass for a natural female. (Though I guess it depends on what her height is.)

I tried this & I definitely felt the work in my back more! It was difficult to keep that form while letting up on the weights, but I think with practice it will become easier.

Thanks!

jonathan

Amen to that. I'm an easy 5'11" and I'd probably die before I got down to 125lbs...yet that's exactly what fashion models are. My height, that weight. Scary.

jonathan

Amen to that. I'm an easy 5'11" and I'd probably die before I got down to 125lbs...yet that's exactly what fashion models are. My height, that weight. Scary.

hehe! that means you are abou the same height as little topher! awh - bless the little guy!

jonathan

hehe! that means you are abou the same height as little topher! awh - bless the little guy!

jonathan

Yeah, Topher's got me by maybe half an inch? I think? We're right about the same size.

I used to hate being so damn tall....I still don't love it but I think I've gotten used to it. I used to refuse to date guys shorter than me and I finally just stopped caring cuz there isn't an abundance of guys taller than me. Buying pants though - now there's a whole different issue. Why can't women's sizes be like men, where you select by waist AND inseam, not just waist! All women do not have the same length legs, HELLO!

*sigh* anyway.......sorry to get all off topic guys Maybe I'll take my rant about womens clothing elsewhere

Why can't women's sizes be like men, where you select by waist AND inseam, not just waist! All women do not have the same length legs, HELLO!

I am with you! I am 5'5", which I thought was pretty much average height, but "regular" length pants are all too long for me and I have to search for "petite" pants. I'm not petite in any way!

Why can't women's sizes be like men, where you select by waist AND inseam, not just waist! All women do not have the same length legs, HELLO!

I am with you! I am 5'5", which I thought was pretty much average height, but "regular" length pants are all too long for me and I have to search for "petite" pants. I'm not petite in any way!

Yeah I do NOT understand what they were thinking when they set woman clothing size standards...

I'm the opposite, my legs are freakishly long I need a 34in inseam- not easy to come by, and when I do.....usually really expensive!