Eat.

Troy

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wednesday Mar 11 2008

5.25 meals

Yep, its a full blown head cold!!! Its the first time I've been ill since I started the plant based diet. I'm not sure what to attribute it too... Possibly lowered the immune system due to lack of sleep the prior few nights, I also ate out to eat the night before last, could of been something I ate... someone maybe sneezed on my food! Maybe all these sick people around me overwhelmed my system.... Maybe all the vitamins and phytonutrients that I take in decided they didn't feel like being absorbed lately? Where the hell are you antioxidants!?!? Get off your lazy molecular ass and get to work! Do you sense frustration? Anyways, on the bright side I'm experimenting with something new and had a positive results yesterday... I will share the results and what I did... hopefully I continue to have the same results.... stay tuned for the mystery...

Where the hell are you antioxidants!?!? Get off your lazy molecular ass and get to work! Do you sense frustration?

I hear you...I had a cold a few months ago and wasn't happy about it. But then I realized it was my first cold in over two years, after a lifetime of having three or four colds every year. All hail plant foods!

after a lifetime of having three or four colds every year. All hail plant foods!

True that... its my first cold this winter and actually winter is almost over... the seasons are starting to change and usually when that happens a head cold comes my way.

Yeah dude, it's a real pain up the ass. I was out of action for many days, hope you recover soon. When I recovered, I got a real rush, because I had been held back for so long and was busting to get going again.

Back to about 90%!! Trained today but changed a few things up because of my shoulder, I'll get into that in my training log. Usually it takes me over a week to recover from a cold.

Yeh I also got a rush when I got back to the gym from being sick last week. Glad you're feeling better Troy; this whole forum got sick last week. It was crazy.

What were you able to eat when you were sick? I was barely able to put down fruits and I could hardly drink down water. I was sleeping about 18 hrs a day for the first 3 days. Took 4 days off my training as well..

Wednesday Mar 11 2008

Anyways, on the bright side I'm experimenting with something new and had a positive results yesterday... I will share the results and what I did... hopefully I continue to have the same results.... stay tuned for the mystery...

So I've been trying to attack this horrid gas problem that I've had with this diet. It's hard to pinpoint something like this since so many things can be the problem.... too much powdered protein, eating too fast, eating too late in the day, eating too much fiber, etc...

Well I came across some old post regarding food combining and thought I'd give it another whirl. I tried it early on in the diet and at the time, it was too difficult and seemed too time consuming. Reason was that I was trying to spread out 6 meals into 12... each meal I was dividing into 2 meals and seperating the meals by about an hour. I ended up trying to eat all the time... which became way too time consuming and overwhelming and I didn't feel like it helped with the gas. I think the reason for that was that I was giving anything time to digest as food was always coming in.

Well this second time around I think I've been successful. Prior to this past Wednesday my eating plan looked like this:

Meal 1: Green/Berry/Ezekiel/Flax/Gemma Smoothie or Post-Workout Smoothie

Meal 2: Quinoa or Rice with Udo's Oil and maybe a tomato

Meal 3: Green/Berry/Ezekiel/Chia/Gemma Smoothie

Meal 4: Quinoa or Rice with Udo's Oil and maybe a tomato

Meal 5: Green/Berry/Ezekiel/Walnut/Gemma Smoothie

Meal 6: Quinoa or Rice

So taking some food combining advice I've decided to simply blend the fruit separately from everything else that I include in the smoothies. I will blend all the berries that I plan to consume in a day and then vacuum seal them in jars, then blend all the greens/ezekiel/fat source/gemma and do the same with those. Come meal time I consume 1 blended berry drink, wait 10-15 minutes for it to digest on its own... then consume the green smoothie following that. This is much easier to accomplish then the previous food combining efforts and this seems to have phenomenal results in the gas department. Its been cut down drastically. I tried to think mechanically as well when consuming the smoothies, I assume they travel through my system a bit easier then say chewed food, so a theory I came up with was that the rice and quinoa meals were backing up the smoothies from being digested and letting the fruit ferment? So I leave the quinoa and rice meals until the end of the day, that way when I wake up in the morning my system should have a relatively clean highway for the smoothies to pass through. So it now looks like this:

Pre-Workout: 1 Blended Whole Red Grapefruit

Meal 1: Blended Berries or (fruit from Post-Workout smoothie).... wait 15 minutes... then Green/Ezekiel/Chia/Gemma Smoothie (Protein from Post-Workout Smoothie)

Meal 2: Blended Berries.... wait 15 minutes... then Green/Ezekiel/Flax/Gemma Smoothie

Meal 3: Blended Berries.... wait 15 minutes... then Green/Ezekiel/Walnut/Gemma Smoothie

Meal 4: Blended Berries.... wait 15 minutes... then Green/Ezekiel/Combo/Gemma Smoothie

Meal 5: Quinoa or Rice with Udo's Oil and maybe a tomato

Meal 6: Quinoa or Rice

Opinions to my whacky thinking?

What were you able to eat when you were sick? I was barely able to put down fruits and I could hardly drink down water. I was sleeping about 18 hrs a day for the first 3 days. Took 4 days off my training as well..

Thanks LG I ate my normal meals, tried to get all my smoothies down as they are the most nutrient dense... but as you can see fell a meal or 2 short on some days... either from lack of prep time or lack of appetite, some meals I had to force down.

Hello...your meal plan seems really well thought out!!! I'm wondering what sort of options and flavors (if any at all) you add to the gemma protein isolate. Also, do you know the difference between this product and just regular pea protein (like that sold by Pure Advantage)? Thanks!

Hello...your meal plan seems really well thought out!!! I'm wondering what sort of options and flavors (if any at all) you add to the gemma protein isolate. Also, do you know the difference between this product and just regular pea protein (like that sold by Pure Advantage)? Thanks!

Thanks justjoshin2, I don't add any flavors, although I just bought some stevia herb and have putting a 1/4 teaspoon into each smoothie now that I'm consuming the berries separately. Today I forgot to put the stevia in and I don't really mind, I like to get use to how the natural taste is. I don't know much about Pure Advantage's pea protein, other than it is also an isolate... I'm sure the AA profile is relatively similar since both are pea protein isolates.

• 2 weeks later...

Whoa... I've been away for awhile... March 17th being my last meal post.... I've been really busy with work lately and haven't felt the best... just when I started to get over my head cold, I relapsed with another one... effin A. Getting better now and am heading back to the gym tonight. The last 13 days has been sketchy for food. Averaged about 4.5 meals per day. I don't think I got down 6 full meals over the course of the past 2 weeks. Without training and being sick the appetite has been way down. We'll see if we can change that.

I saw your youtube video. You threw in a ton of kale. I thought great, such an easy way to get greens in me until I tried some. Kale is so bitter! I went ahead anyway and threw one leaf into my smoothie and didn't notice a bitter taste at all. Yesterday I tried 3 leaves and it was still delicious. And tonight I tossed in a quarter of a head of kale it was still awesome! So thanks for the kale idea, i would never have done it on my own.

I just wanted to say I am super impressed with your results. Reading your log and seeing your pics certainly is motivating. Thanks for sharing.

Your welcome and thank YOU for your interest... this whole forum has been motivating me since I joined...

...Kale is so bitter! ...So thanks for the kale idea, i would never have done it on my own.

Your welcome...Try freezing the Kale... Kale gets sweeter when you freeze it! Glad to hear you are adding one of the most nutritious foods to your smoothies!

I love all the new members who are go-getters and making things happen.

Thanks Robert... I've been seeing alot more go-getters on the forum lately... community is continuing to grow in a positive direction!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of detail this past month... yo-yo city, work, health, travelling, ... I'm all over the place lately. Yeesh...

Update on the food intake...

over the past month I'd say I've been averaging about 4.5 meals a day. Usually 4, sometimes 5, rarely 3 or 6.

I may try extending the time in-between meals, cutting back to 5 meals a day but put an extra 125 calories in each meal... I may need to crunch the numbers to see if my stomach can handle the extra mass of food at each meal... hmmm. I think this way I may get all the calories in without skipping a meal or two. Also I think this may give my digestive system more time to digest between meals. Lately I've been only waiting about 1-2 hours between meals...

• 2 weeks later...

Made some changes over the past few weeks.

Per some peer advice, I'm discontinuing the use of Udo's oil. I am replacing the fat source with more chia, flaxseed, and walnuts. The addition of more whole foods has allowed me to reduce the amount of protein powder and Ezekiel cereal in my smoothies. 3 refined products being replaced or reduced with raw nuts and seeds in place of them. A wise choice?

I will however be in search of a high quality vegan DHA supplement.

Per Dr. Fuhrman's advice (to greatly increase the nutritional value of grains) from Eat to Live, I have started to soak quinoa and long grain brown rice for about 24 hours, rinsing about half way between the soak, and just before steaming. I'm not too knowledgeable on soaking and rinsing grains... is this sufficient?

I reduced the number of meals to 5 instead of 6. I'm finding this is much easier to do, and I have been consistently getting all 5 meals in each day for the past couple weeks.

I revised my original post to reflect my current diet, so head back to page 1 if you're curious as to what my daily concoction is now.