Hows your love life?

kollision

Hey Chesty,

I've been known to take a thread or two off topic before in my time.

This thread has been subject to several multiple hijackings though. Like I said expecting to read about how lucky or unlucky you folks all are and there is this serious debate going on.... I must confess I didn't read much - too heavy for me on a Monday morning - I just went back to see when the thread went off-tangent, which was page 2 I think.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, what are your expectations? Do they need to be a certain race, have a certain body, etc.?

Okay back on topic!

My criteria for looks are as follows:

must be female

I might consider a hermaphrodite, I'd have to think about it. But if they were like primarily a woman, but just had some kind of deformity in the genitalia, I can't see how that'd really be a problem.

That's about it. I don't care about race, fashion, ugliness or anything else to do with appearance.

other criteria is lengthy...

ethical vegan who agrees with my morals regarding animals

non smoker

non drinker

drug free

must be unconcerned with appearance

not religious

not spiritual

not sexist

not racist

not ageist

logical - listens to reason

patient

not abusive / overly angry

not childish (I hate bickering, whining, over-reaction and manipulation)

not self-centered

doesn't flirt with other people

isn't offended by swearing / jokes

able to communicate with me comfortably so we're on the same 'wavelength'

honest and also open

doesn't have kids

doesn't want kids

well really most of those criteria can just fall under the general heading of 'not an asshole'. The more specific criteria are really:

non smoker

non drinker

drug free

not religious

not spiritual

isn't offended by swearing / jokes

doesn't have kids

doesn't want kids

"If you live to be a hundred then I want to live to be a hundred minus one day because I never want to live without you."

--Winnie the Pooh

This sums up my feelings for my husband. My love, devotion & passion for him provide me endless joy. I cannot imagine my life without him. Our individual traits, quirks & personalities are perfectly compatible or complementary. We will be married 19 years in January.

"If you live to be a hundred then I want to live to be a hundred minus one day because I never want to live without you."

--Winnie the Pooh

This sums up my feelings for my husband. My love, devotion & passion for him provide me endless joy. I cannot imagine my life without him. Our individual traits, quirks & personalities are perfectly compatible or complementary. We will be married 19 years in January.

Awe...that's so sweet. I love Pooh Bear. Congratulations on almost 19 years!

At first I thought you might have missed some criteria Richard....the list seems "small" - so, I referenced my mental log and it appears you have included it all. Fine job.

For myself. Basically. I like vegan, nonsubstance-abusing, agnostic/atheist, creative nerds. I love them! Everything else is pretty irrelevant - especially ethnicity and appearance.

Oh, and, of course, have to accept and embrace my kiddos.

oh yeah. i don't swear like a sailor but i guess i could be considered offensive so the person would have to be somewhat tolerant of that.

wow, 8 pages already. And a lot about drinking, drugs and caffeine. Those things aren't even that important. The important thing is respect. If you don't respect your bitch the relationship is going nowhere.

Also, I believe everything is okey as long as you don't hurt anyone else while doing it(smoking, being not vegan). Sure alcohol and drugs are bad for you, but so is water(if you drink 6 liters at once). And sure alcohol and drugs are addictive, but so is sleeping.

:D

Oh, and, of course, have to accept and embrace my kiddos.

Your daughters, Tiff, are such sweet, compassionate kids that it wouldnt be hard for any non-family member to fall in love with them.

I am always so amazed and moved by compassionte children. It gives me goosebumps to visualize the compassionate and passionate adults they will grow up to me, and that is truly very heartening ...

Ah!!! I found this list I made up! Little detailed, yeah.

Independent

Vegan

Artistic (in any capacity)

Expressive and Open

Liberal - not opposed to anarchist thought

Agnostic - or at least not practicing a religion

Gentle

Humble

Compassionate

Nonjudgemental

Thoughtful

Nerdy

Free-spirited (within bounds)

Substance Free

ha! wow. that about does it.

Strong agnosticism (also called hard agnosticism, closed agnosticism, strict agnosticism)—the view that the question of the existence of deities is unknowable by nature or that human beings are ill-equipped to judge the evidence.

Weak agnosticism (also called soft agnosticism, open agnosticism, empirical agnosticism)—the view that the existence or nonexistence of God or gods is currently unknown but isn't necessarily unknowable, therefore one will withhold judgement until more evidence is available.

Apatheism—the view that the whole question of God's existence or nonexistence is beneath consideration or concern.

Apathetic agnosticism—the view that the whole question of God's existence or nonexistence cannot yet be properly answered, and therefore one should free oneself from a fruitless search.

Ignosticism—the view that the concept of God as a being is meaningless because it has no verifiable consequences, therefore it cannot be usefully discussed as having existence or nonexistence. See scientific method.

Model agnosticism—the view that philosophical and metaphysical questions are not ultimately verifiable but that a model of malleable assumption should be built upon rational thought. Note that this branch of agnosticism differs from others in that it does not focus upon the question of a deity's existence.

Agnostic theism—the view of those who do not claim to know God's existence, but still believe in his existence. (See Knowledge Vs Beliefs) Whether this is truly agnosticism is disputed. It might also imply the belief that there is something resembling god (or gods,) but a doubt of their exact nature or validity of claim.

Agnostic spiritualism—the view that there may or may not be a god (or gods,) while maintaining a general personal belief in a spiritual aspect of reality, particularly without distinct religious basis, or adherence to any doctrine.

Agnostic atheism—the view that God may or may not exist, but that his non-existence is more likely. Some agnostic atheists would at least partially base their beliefs on Occam's Razor.

Strong agnosticism (also called hard agnosticism, closed agnosticism, strict agnosticism)—the view that the question of the existence of deities is unknowable by nature or that human beings are ill-equipped to judge the evidence.

Agnostic atheism—the view that God may or may not exist, but that his non-existence is more likely. Some agnostic atheists would at least partially base their beliefs on Occam's Razor.

Interesting. I guess I am a strong agnostic. I am also an atheist. But the definition of agnostic atheist doesn't really fit, probably largely because it doesn't include the strong agnostic definition in it.

I see a strong distinction between knowledge and belief. That's how I can believe that humans cannot know whether or not there are any gods, yet hold a strong belief that there are none.

Oh, I also believe that everyone is either a theist or an atheist and that there is no inbetween position. That is because the definition of atheist is really simply "not theist." If you have one word that means "X" and one word that means "not X" then the two terms are exhaustive, because if one is not "X" then one is by definition "not X" and vice versa; one cannot be not "X" and not "not X" simultaneously. Of course, this all hinges on acceptance of the definition of atheist being "not theist" which is not universally accepted. But that's the way I use it.

Edited by FormicaLinoleum

Interesting. I guess I am a strong agnostic. I am also an atheist. But the definition of agnostic atheist doesn't really fit, probably largely because it doesn't include the strong agnostic definition in it.

I see a strong distinction between knowledge and belief. That's how I can believe that humans cannot know whether or not there are any gods, yet hold a strong belief that there are none.

I'm a weak agnostic. I believe the answers can be found through theoretical astrophysics (by discovering more about the origin of the universe) and microbiology (by discovering more about the origin of life).

I'm a weak agnostic. I believe the answers can be found through theoretical astrophysics (by discovering more about the origin of the universe) and microbiology (by discovering more about the origin of life).

I guess my thinking is that gods are nearly all conceived of as being smarter and more powerful than humans, so if they didn't want to be detected by us, they'd be able to avoid it. I think that we can probably rule out certain specifically defined gods based on the characteristics they are supposed to have and the things they are supposed to have done, but can't rule out all the entire class of gods.

Some theists actually use this kind of argument, saying that the fact that science doesn't match with literal interpretation of the bible doesn't mean the biblical god does not exist, because god could have made the scientific evidence look that way. Some see this as a potential test of faith to see if some folks will be lured away from Him by this science. As long as this argument can be made, then scientific evidence can't prove there is no god.

I agree! I love "The Elegant Universe" & other specials & books that are similar. I have difficulty wrapping my mind around some of the concepts, but it's fun to try. Like all times existing simultaneously -- ???? Is it even possible, given our linear perspective, to really grasp that? I wish I was more fluent in the language of math. --sigh

BTW, I read a sci fi book where there were buildings that were going backward in time. I don't recall all the details, but I found the whole idea fascinating.

Some see this as a potential test of faith to see if some folks will be lured away from Him by this science. As long as this argument can be made, then scientific evidence can't prove there is no god.

Speaking of that, have you heard of the Flat Earth Society? They believe that the devil has fooled people into believing the Earth is round.

"The last world model propagated by the Flat Earth Society holds that we live on a disc, with the North Pole at its center and a 150 feet high wall of ice at the outer edge. Curiously, the resulting map is basically the symbol of the United Nations, something Johnson used as evidence for his position. In this model, the sun and moon are each a mere 32 miles in diameter." -Quote from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth_Society

I agree! I love "The Elegant Universe" & other specials & books that are similar. I have difficulty wrapping my mind around some of the concepts, but it's fun to try. Like all times existing simultaneously -- ???? Is it even possible, given our linear perspective, to really grasp that? I wish I was more fluent in the language of math. --sigh

Awesome! Brian Greene and Stephen Hawking are two of my favorite writers. Multiverse theory is fun to study too.

I wish I was more fluent in math as well. I only took a couple of semesters or calculus in college so I can't do calculations beyond elementary physics

Ever heard of the religion with the "Hollow Earth" theory? That we live in the inside of the earth...its interesting...

http://koreshan.mwweb.org/

http://www.v-j-enterprises.com/holearth.html

I can't believe I've been going through life thinking that there was a solid layer of magma, rocks, and metals under the surface of the Earth. The devil must have fooled me