What religion do you associate yourself with?

kollision

there have been some interesting developments in the catholic church, with the vatican endorsing darwin/creationism in response to the idiocy of "intelligent design" that's being pushed by american christians.

and also the ordination of a priest who is married.

although that's more of a one off to spite the anglicans as he was formerly an anglican...minister?

The Catholic Church accepted Darwinism and Evolution? Did I understand correctly? I would think that would be one of the last things they would accept.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there have been some interesting developments in the catholic church, with the vatican endorsing darwin/creationism in response to the idiocy of "intelligent design" that's being pushed by american christians.

although that's more of a one off to spite the anglicans as he was formerly an anglican...minister?

The Catholic Church accepted Darwinism and Evolution? Did I understand correctly? I would think that would be one of the last things they would accept.

Evolution in the bible, says Vatican

By Martin Penner | November 07, 2005

http://www.news.com.au/story/0%2C10117%2C17162341-13762%2C00.html

THE Vatican has issued a stout defence of Charles Darwin, voicing strong criticism of Christian fundamentalists who reject his theory of evolution and interpret the biblical account of creation literally.

Cardinal Paul Poupard, head of the Pontifical Council for Culture, said the Genesis description of how God created the universe and Darwin's theory of evolution were "perfectly compatible" if the Bible were read correctly.

His statement was a clear attack on creationist campaigners in the US, who see evolution and the Genesis account as mutually exclusive.

"The fundamentalists want to give a scientific meaning to words that had no scientific aim," he said at a Vatican press conference. He said the real message in Genesis was that "the universe didn't make itself and had a creator".

This idea was part of theology, Cardinal Poupard emphasised, while the precise details of how creation and the development of the species came about belonged to a different realm - science. Cardinal Poupard said that it was important for Catholic believers to know how science saw things so as to "understand things better".

His statements were interpreted in Italy as a rejection of the "intelligent design" view, which says the universe is so complex that some higher being must have designed every detail.

basically they're claiming that's what they were always saying.

Evolution in the bible, says Vatican

By Martin Penner | November 07, 2005

http://www.news.com.au/story/0%2C10117%2C17162341-13762%2C00.html

THE Vatican has issued a stout defence of Charles Darwin, voicing strong criticism of Christian fundamentalists who reject his theory of evolution and interpret the biblical account of creation literally.

Cardinal Paul Poupard, head of the Pontifical Council for Culture, said the Genesis description of how God created the universe and Darwin's theory of evolution were "perfectly compatible" if the Bible were read correctly.

His statement was a clear attack on creationist campaigners in the US, who see evolution and the Genesis account as mutually exclusive.

"The fundamentalists want to give a scientific meaning to words that had no scientific aim," he said at a Vatican press conference. He said the real message in Genesis was that "the universe didn't make itself and had a creator".

This idea was part of theology, Cardinal Poupard emphasised, while the precise details of how creation and the development of the species came about belonged to a different realm - science. Cardinal Poupard said that it was important for Catholic believers to know how science saw things so as to "understand things better".

His statements were interpreted in Italy as a rejection of the "intelligent design" view, which says the universe is so complex that some higher being must have designed every detail.

basically they're claiming that's what they were always saying.

What the.....Just to make sure, they used to denounce the very thought of this....right?

1. What were you born into?

Presbyterian

2. What are you now?

Agnostic

3. What made you change? (if you did)

Skepticism

4. What are your ideas on religions in general?

Science is my religion, all of the others are mythology to me. Still, I like any religion that preaches peace; and oppose any religion that preaches hate.

2. What are you now?

1. Nothing in particular; parents are atheist, but didn't force me to be

2. Agnostic - sure about nothing, but live as though there is no god / supernatural because i've seen no evidence yet

3. I used to be atheist, but I should just say "I don't know" with regards to something which lacks evidence, rather than say than I am definitely sure about it one way or the other

I believe that the existence or non-existence of G-d is irrelevant for the following reasons:

1. I don't need my ethics spelled out for me by a 'supreme' being, a priest, or any other being for that matter. I know what is right & what is wrong. Even if a person chooses a 'pre-defined' ethical code, if you believe in free will, it comes down to each moment & will you follow the code you have chosen or not?

2. I don't need the motivation of reward or the fear of punishment to do what's right. I choose to do what's right because it's the right thing to do. If I choose not to do what's right it's because I sold out my ethics; I lowered my standards. Only I can deal with that.

3. The question of life after death is irrelevant as well. The only moment that matters is THIS ONE!

===

A turning moment for me was when I was about 9 in a Sunday school class. The teacher was telling us that you could reconcile the big bang theory with G-d because where did that inrush of hydrogen come from? "G-d!" she explained. I casually asked "Where did G-d come from?" & was promptly taken upstairs to the minister’s office where he gave me a lecture on faith. It seemed to me that if you could accept that G-d has always been, then why is it such a leap to think that the hydrogen just came into being?

As I got older I had serious issues with "G-d the Father, G-d the Son, ..." Where the heck are the women in this religion? Relegated to being a reproductive vessel & mother, I suppose. The feminist in me rebelled. I was taught that G-d has no gender. Well if religious leaders truly believe that then they should come up with a respectful, genderless pronoun as a way to refer to G-d & G-d should be referred to as a Parent, not a Father.

I hope my post does not offend anyone. On a lighter note, I like this saying:

Life is a sexually-transmitted, terminal condition.

2. What are you now?

1. Catholicism. My mom's family is Irish Catholic. My dad's side is not Catholic, but he went to church with us and eventually converted when I was a teen. My brothers and I went to Catholic school K through 12, went to church every Sunday and holy day, were in the CYO (Catholic Youth Organization) for a few years, were confirmed, and so on. My first, middle, and confirmation names are Elizabeth Mary Bernadette.

2. I am an atheist and an agnostic and a humanist. I'm also quite interested in Buddhism.

3. I stopped believing in god when I was in my teens. I think some of my (bad) religion classes contributed, because they made me question what I was being taught in those classes, which led me to question all of it.

4. That would be a long answer. To sum it up, I think religion has its good and bad points. Some good points are that it seems to make some people happy and give them some hope and joy in their lives. Some people claim that it's only religion that keeps them in line, and though I'm not so sure I believe them, it's a good thing if it is true. Bad things are that fundamentalism in religion can discourage people from thinking about moral issues for themselves and can lead them to try to control other people's lives.

christian

2. What are you now?

I've invented my own complicated dual system of logic/atheism and creative hope/pantheism.

I'm too smart to be a christian. I was making fun of how ridiculous religions were when I was 7.

The fervently religious suffer from schizophrenia. The others are nonthinking assimilators. Together they have turned earth into a hell.

1. Baptist

2. Anglican

3. There was a moment many years ago.. I guess I was in high school or college at the time where the Baptists were boycotting either Disneyland or Disney World (I can't remember which) because they were having a Gay Pride thing there and all of a sudden I felt embarrased to say 'Baptist' when someone asked what religion I was. I started calling myself Methodist and went to Methodist Churches for a while before I stopped going to Church pretty much altogether for another long while. Around the time I got pregnant with my daughter I went thru a phase in my life where I wanted to 'find' religion again. And I wanted to be religious for vegetarian reasons so I focused my efforts there. I thought that would help make being vegetarian easier (meaning just dealing with other people) if I could say it was part of my religion. That didn't work out so well. AND it left a bad a taste in my mouth for so-called religious vegetarians. I remember some men talking about going to an all-male boarding school where they had snuck out to go eat burgers at the local burger joint because they didn't want to eat the vegetarian school food.

4. In my heart I still believed in the Christian God /Jesus etc. I only wanted a BIG God and I finally found that. Thus that it is how I got where I am. No religion is perfect. But I have a home parish where I can worship, pray and grow in my own spirituality and in the end that is all that is important.

christian

2. What are you now?

I've invented my own complicated dual system of logic/atheism and creative hope/pantheism.

I'm too smart to be a christian. I was making fun of how ridiculous religions were when I was 7.

The fervently religious suffer from schizophrenia. The others are nonthinking assimilators. Together they have turned earth into a hell.

well put. my thoughts exactly. i was not popular whilst hymns were being sung at school - i usually sang something completely different

jonathan

Raised as a methodist until 14.

Gave it up, and haven't set foot into one of those vile churches ever since.

I consider myself an agnostic for the most part.

Religion is probably the single most evil, despicable human creation ever, and has led to more war, suffering and hatred than anything else in the history of humankind.

well put. my thoughts exactly. i was not popular whilst hymns were being sung at school - i usually sang something completely different

jonathan

Soooooommmmmmmeeethiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing compleeeeeeeeeetely differeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Although I'm agnostic, I want to respond to all of the religious bashing on here:

For every negative effect associated with religion, a positive could be named. For example consider deeply religious people such as Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr, or Mother Theresa - all had a positive impact on the world and were devoted to their religious beliefs. Religion is not inherently good or evil, but powerful people can twist religion to serve their selfish interests, or to serve humanity.

jonathan

The only good thing I got from church was I learned how to sing harmony. You can sing loudly & if you hit a note wrong, no one knows who it was!

Although I'm agnostic, I want to respond to all of the religious bashing on here:

For every negative effect associated with religion, a positive could be named. For example consider deeply religious people such as Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr, or Mother Theresa - all had a positive impact on the world and were devoted to their religious beliefs. Religion is not inherently good or evil, but powerful people can twist religion to serve their selfish interests, or to serve humanity.

I'm with you Will. Religion is something evil people manipulate to be evil, and something good people use for good. Sadly though, the evil examples tend to be grander than the good examples.

2. What are you now?

I was born and raised a catholic.

I am now an atheist.

I changed because I am not an idiot.

From another thread, something I hate is the catholic religion. Organized religion in general. I really have a problem with missionaries. Spirituality and a belief in a higher power is fine if that is what you believe in, I just prefer that organized religion stop influencing my life and the laws I have to abide by.

2. What are you now?

1. I was born into the Church of Christ, the son of an ordained minister. I don't think I missed 17 Sunday services the first 17 years of my life, and shortly before I joined the Navy and moved away from home, I was attending Sunday morning services (Baptist) with my parents, Sunday evening services (Assemblies of God) with friends of mine, Catechism classes on Thursday evenings, and Saturday evening Mass by myself. While I stopped going to church shortly after I left home, having grown disillusioned with the behavior of the other members during the other six days of the week, I still was fairly religious up until age 27 or so.

2. Stone cold "you die, you're dirt" atheist.

3. Not gonna go into the details, but some events in my life made me ponder just how loving and benevolent "our father" really is. I realized that there were really only two possibilities. Either he's not nearly as loving as I'd been led to believe (normally I phrase that a bit differently), or he didn't exist. I couldn't believe the former, so I had to go with the latter. Once that veil was lifted, so to speak, the situation became much clearer.

4. I think Jesse Ventura pretty much had it nailed. At best it's a panacea for those who need one, at worst it's a reason to hate everyone who doesn't believe the same way you do.

What religion do you associate yourself with?

If by religion you mean "a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance." Then my religion is equality. In fact, you might call me a zealot of equality.

However, I don't associate with "a particular system of faith and worship," if that's what you mean by religion. I am agnostic -- just agnostic. Not warm and fuzzy agnostic, purple and yellow polka-dot agnostic, backwards Tuesday agnostic, or any of the other silly things people can think of to place before the term agnostic. (For the record, I'm sure purple and yellow polka-dot agnostic might be wonderful people -- I'm just not that kind of agnostic.)

...I just prefer that organized religion stop influencing my life and the laws I have to abide by.

You can say that again! I'm sick that the religious zealots have such influence in our government & are trying to change the very fabric of our country. I keep my religion, or lack of it, to myself. They should do the same.

I wonder, sometimes, if their desire to convert/control the rest of us stems from an unconscious lack of faith or lack of confidence in their belief system. They are certainly some of the most hypocritical & hateful people I've seen in action. Their whole agenda makes me retch.

Greek Orthodox

2. What are you now?

I *think* I am Greek Orthodox with my own beliefs (reincarnation, ghosts, etc.) I also try to respect others' beliefs and not bash them if they don't hurt anyone human and nonhuman, etc.

I may be Christian, but I'm not stupid -- I question things and can be a bit irreverant.

I agree with willpeavey, veggymeggy and tylerm. Church and state should always be kept separate. IMO it's the people who try to control other people that are to blame -- not God, Jesus, Allah, Buddha, the Great Spirit, etc.

(And I probably would've been laughing my a#@ off if I heard jonathan's and Richard's "choirizations." )