Funky's Fitness Blog

Well I thought I'd give this a go since the paper log I have been taking to the gym is getting destroyed and I am past the point of embarrassment that I can't lift much for an athletic guy. I am kinda new to following a program so your going to have to bear with me if your actually reading this, and feel free to offer suggestions cause most of what I am doing I am getting from books, magazines, and the internet. I don't talk too much to guys or girls in the gym cause I am painfully shy, the internet is easier cause well it's the internet Any way here goes nothing.

This is Week 3 of me actually following a program. That I add to or skip things so you can see my ADHD shining through.

Treadmill - Jog 30 min - 5 walk, 20 jog 5.7, 5 walk. Dist 10.5 laps

situp-pushup-legraise - 50x12x12. 2 sets as little rest as possible

swiss ball oblique crunch - 3x12xbw

stretch

(setxrepxweight)

bench press - 1x12x50 +bar

2x10x60

incline dumbbell fly - 3x12x20

=fly machine - 1x12x60

2x7x60

dumbbell row - 1x12x30

1x12x40

1x12x45

=peck deck - 1x12x90

2x7x110

tbar row - 1x12x45 +bar

2x12x70 +bar

The = is where I added something, tonight it was because it was busy and I didn't feel like standing still while I waited. Other nights I may add something just because I want to do that exercise. Any way till next time. At the very least this gives me something to do when I get home from the gym and can't sleep

Oh yea and I have no clue how much the bars weigh they aren't marked and I never really noticed before cause I just would lift light weights till failure.

Edited by funkybioped

Thanks Robert. Hoping that it will help me find some consistency with my workouts. I am also hoping that it helps me push myself in the gym, don't really think I have every really pushed myself too much to increase resistance in the past. I was always worried about bulking up too much. Reading other peoples threads, seeing their pictures, and reading their stories have been helping me too. My both my diet and workouts have been better since lurking around and joining this forum. I love that people have had such impressive gains on a Vegan diet. Hopefully I can move in that direction too.

Well the scale finally moved for me tonight and in the direction of my goal. I was feeling bad cause I skipped out on my workout cause I got some sweet hockey tickets, wich also ment beer and junkfood. So feeling guilty when I got home I weiged myself. 197 on my elchepo scale in my bathroom. Ill check again on a more accurate one but hey I must have still lost something. I am pretty happy with some of the chest gains that are making the "hole" in my chest seem to fade a bit. Ill blog (?) out my workouts at the end of my week, I just wanted to toot my own horn

• 2 weeks later...

April 6 - 12

It has been pretty krappy week so I can't say I had the greatest workouts, or that my diet was super strict. I did get to the gym and all but it was pretty busy and I was already in a bit of a krank so little things were driving me nuts. I hate baggage, wish I was a buddist monk or something. Any way its going to be a better week. I don't really like writing out each exercise and weight to so I think Ill just summarize everything each week and go on from there, post the successes and vent every once and a while about my lack of motivation when times suck! Probably the best time to do a full workout and push harder. Anyway whatever.

Exercise: Gym - Mon, Thurs

Pool - Tues.

Bailed rest of week

• 4 weeks later...

May 5 - 11

Well it's been a while since I jotted down my work outs. I have fallen out of habit with writing everything down. At first it was ok I was still getting to the gym for resistance training about 3 times a week and getting out for some cardio, a run, bike, or swim about 2 or 3 times a week. Diet was pretty good too. But this past week I can see that the writing is what keeps me focused. This week my diet has been off and I haven't really had good workouts. So I am going to get back to it this week. I am still on my way to my goal and have way past my goal weight of reducing to 195 by the end of June. I am beginning to see some ab definition too. I am not seeing a great increase in the weight I am lifting though and have to figure out how to get to pushing more weight to add some lean muscle mass. Anyway till next week.

Rooting for you guy. I have managed to put to memory my workout as I am doing it and then recall it later. I t take attention and me reinforcing it in my head by repeating to myself while I am working out. But it works well for me. I loved to play Lacrosse and started when I was in 6th grade. Played 1st string center midfielder (faceoffs) in my senoir year of high school.

Good job on meeting your weight goal (looks like you did it a whole month and a half early ). I was just curious what goals you have for yourself. Are you going for particular lifts or maybe just to have a particular look you are trying to obtain? I am looking to begin more of a program as well, I've also been mostly just lifting when I make it to the gym. Getting ideas now. Once I have that I may post a journal as well.

Once again congrats and good luck on your routine and building.

Thanks for the encouragement Vegan Joe.

Hey Dawg, I was basicly messing around in the gym on and off for about a year before I found this forum and others. After reading forum posts and discovering that having a balenced program is a real good idea for many reasons, and seeing people who were pulling off some pretty good before and after pics I decided I wanted to be like them. I set a goal to get to the weight of 195 (from 205 - 215, I bounced around depending on the sport season) by the end of June or to see my abs. I was hoping to build some muscle with that, but I don't think I am eating right to build any real significant muscle, plus I workout alone and outside of computer land am pretty shy and have a hard time talking to people. I think it's hard to push it without a spotter I watch some guys and girls in there wow I wish I could push it that hard! Anyway the diet I tried to follow along with was the Men's Health Belly off one but with out the meat. I think I am taking in 2000 to 2500 cal per day, occasionally a 3000 cal day but not often. I try to write down the weight I am lifting so I can get better but I don't really think I have a goal as to how much I want to get to, just that I would like to progress and get a nice chest and back. When this goal date is done I may try a new program with deadlifts and stuff I keep reading some real interesting ones and would like to try, guy at the gym is just killing krazy lifts looks like he's in a strongman comp! Anyway I would highly suggest a journal like this, keeps you motivated and I find it cool that other can give enouragement or constructive critism or just say hey, since I basicly keep my head down in the gym and look at my feet

Week 7. May 12 to May 18.

I lost a few weeks of tracking my workouts due to some crazy life krap and some plain and simple laziness. This week I got back to tracking but it was a busy week and I really didn't have much to track. Kudos to those who somehow manage to stick to the w/o schedule no matter what. It being the long weekend I went away camping and cut loose a bit, well not really a bit

Monday: Gym - Butt, thighs, legs.

Tuesday: Jog - 10 laps

Swim - 1hr - 10 laps & 1/2hr tread water

Wednesday: Gym - Jog - 30 min - treadmill

Gym- Chest, arms, back.

Fri - Sun: Camping. Way to rainy to jog or try to get out to do much. Small hike with family, and some walking.

• 2 weeks later...

The end of May has held a lot of cheat days on the diet for me, and to make matters worse, I have been a little less active. I have made it out to the gym but other things that I might do in between, those activities have fallen off. I think I am hitting a motivation wall. I am super happy with how far I have come. From 205 lbs and ??? Body Fat (I am sure it was up there) to 178 lbs, and 12% Body Fat (I took it with a machine, I would like to double check to make sure.) Anyway this week I'm gonna rock it as hard as I can.

Week 8, May 19 - 25

Tues: Gym - Arms, Sholders

Wed: Cardio - Swim 1 hr

Friday: Gym - Chest, Abs, Back

Week 9, May 26 - June 1

Mon: Gym - Butt, Thighs, Legs

Tues: Cardio - Swim 1 hr

Wed: Weigh in 179 lbs, 12% BF

Thurs: Gym - Arms, Sholders

Fri: Cardio - Hockey

Yea I removed my rant.

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, the most exciting part of my week was just figuring out you can change the name of your blog! How fun. Last week was pretty weak for me. Didn't get out to the gym to much, wish it was on purpose but I have just been too laxed and lazy. Went for a 40 km bike ride on Sat though. But I did it while drunk so I wouldn't advise it. Especially after not having a drink for about a month. Not to mention I guess it's illegal and kinda dangerous. I had a great time though, nice ride. It was hell on my body though and I think it took about two days to recover. I went to the gym tonight and everything was sore. Oh well old enough to know better and young enough to do it anyway I guess. Back to the grind, but the next two weeks are super busy with work and work parties so I imagine I will be having a pretty hard time to stay the course.

I have lost weight and leaned out. I can tell cause I look in the mirror and can see it. I like what I see, I think its almost where I want to be before I really try to put on some mass and some shape. I was 205 when I started and I am 176 now. I have been off track over the past few weeks lost some motivation to push past the busy stuff that happens in life. I was feeling real good though, knowing now that I can probably get to a "look" I might like. Then tonight a good friend I haven't seen for a while told me I am looking sick. I sit here a bit paranoid that I might not be looking as good as I thought. I know 31 pounds is a decent amount to loose but I am eating, I am assuming about 2300 cal to 3000 cal a day. Lots of veggies, more nuts and seeds, blah blah blah. In the past before stuff like that didn't bother me, I feel weird cause to be honest, its really riding me.

Well I am in the 12th week of the "program" I set out on way back when. I finish out this week and check my progress against my before pics and maybe post them if they look ok. Here's my stats to date. Started out wearing a 36 waist pants, I think my actual waist measurement was like 35 or so. I weighed in at 205 lbs. I just had to go out and buy some shorts cause even with my belt they were beginning to look real silly. Waist 31! Weight 176! I have to say I am pretty happy. Can't believe I was worried, I feel great. I need to start thinking about my next goal. I would like to build up my chest a bit I think, got to figure out how to do that and still have a well rounded program.

• 2 months later...

Well it was a long summer, and I have to say I fell off the wagon pretty good with the "treats." Didn't get to the gym even close to enough. But all it took was a read back through the trusty Vegan Bodybuilding forum to provide the kick in the ass I needed to get back into the gym. I haven't set a new goal yet cause I don't really know what I want this time around, so I guess Ill set this as a first goal. Get back to an intake of 2500 cal a day. and get into the gym for resistance training 3 days a week, 2 days of cardio. I guess that is as good a goal as any when I don't really know what I want to try to accomplish yet. I think I would like to try to bulk up a bit but I am a bit nervous about taking in too many cal and having a return of the dreaded muffin top! Any way Ill see if I can get a 5 of 7 plan going consistently for September then Ill decide what my next goal is.