LIVE from New York! Blog this!

Hey man, i'm certainly here to pay support to a fellow new yorker, right on man, the pics look great!!!

Thanks L&G! Maybe we can do a healthy day down your way sometime. Maybe put me through a good gym routine? PM any time or email.

anytime my man anytime. The pleasure would be all mine. I wouldn't mind coming up there one day as well. I have to look up the area but I would imagine it's more rural and peaceful than nyc, which would be a good change of pace. You know, I don't think I have EVER trained with a vegan in the gym??? That is a horrible thought.

I am going to be on vegan overload for VV08'. Perhaps it will help to wean me into it if we get a good workout session in here or there before I go into that environment

Have fun on your vaca!

NY David is coming to town!

Let us know your schedule as you get closer to your days here. I've got something going on Sat. morning and evening but am willing to meet you guys or have you over for an early dinner on Sunday or whatever. My husband is out of town this weekend so I actually get to have a social life!

NY David is coming to town!

Let us know your schedule as you get closer to your days here. I've got something going on Sat. morning and evening but am willing to meet you guys or have you over for an early dinner on Sunday or whatever. My husband is out of town this weekend so I actually get to have a social life!

Sweet, Diane - that would be great! The only time constraint on Sunday is picking up a rental car (for our cali trip) between 3 & 4pm at the airport and heading to Sisters about 3 hours away. So - Sunday, the 27th, we have an early end to our Portland stay. Don't forget, we'll be back in Portland on Monday the 5th as well. I don't know what internet access I'll have on vacation so, what is the best way to contact you otherwise? PM if you like. PEACE

David and Jonzen showed up at the gym tonight and then we went to dinner. David, I give you a lot of credit for being able to work out after that flight, especially with the time change!

It was so good to finally meet both of you.

• 2 months later...

Hey people. Feels like it's been a long time since I've been on these boards. After my April/May Portland & Northern Cali vacation, I had every intention on blogging my vegan highlights. It's still not too late but, I'm just feeling back to a normal groove. Upheaval at my job had me moving offices, joining a second gym so I would have a place to go on lunch and trying to just deal. Since I'm only getting a 1/2 hour workout during lunch, I'm adding time at my first gym closer to home in the evening now and adding a personal trainer a couple nights a week. Striving for nutritional excellence... Vega is always a staple and I absolutely LOVE the sesame goji probars along with my normal fruit & veg intake. I'm also a huge fan of a cold quinoa, black beans & lentil salad I make that I have for lunch with greens and sometimes as a quick dinner with something like broccoli. Seems the clif bars have lost their appeal though - I still keep them around. I guess we all go in cycles with our food but, I felt like I was just eating goo and the probars 'feel' more nutritionally like a whole food.

I chatted with DV about this but, curious if any others have a hereditary cholesterol issue. I've always been borderline high and my recent number was 208. I'm not even a HUGE nut eater but, as mentioned have the probars, the occasional hummus [tahini] and I guess any trace oils in other products [hemp granola??] would be an issue.... and I don't even put dressing on my salad!

I just mentioned in the retail blog that I also have an extra copy of the Vegan Fitness Built Naturally DVD if anyone would like it. Just a post a reply and it's yours for free.

• 4 months later...

Yup - I'm still here. Here is a little piece I wrote on a vegan blog and I've deemed it good enough to share here so - enjoy.

There is nothing I have found more empowering in my recent past than getting out and meeting my vegan community. If it's something you are passionate about and, maybe, feel isolated once in a while, you will do yourself a great service by mingling, workshopping, vacationing, etc. with your fellow vegans.

I just want to encourage the masses that if you have the opportunity to drive a little further, take a plane or get there however you choose - just do it. I had attended the Boston Vegetarian Festival a couple years in a row and, after being vegan for 13 years, sat in on a talk by Erik Marcus and began my transition to becoming vegan. That was 4 years ago. At the end of 2006, I was at the end of an intimate relationship and fell hard into depression for most of 2007. In June of that year, I took a 6-hour car ride with my parents to Vegetarian Summerfest (vegetariansummerfest.org) for a weekend of workshops and sharing meals with the likes of Howard Lyman and Victoria Moran. It helped me through and gave a glimmer of hope in my darkness. The so-called 'celebrities' of the vegan movement seem to always make themselves available because they are passionate about the same things we are and that just serves to bring us all together and make us stronger. It made me feel less isolated in my vegan pursuit and was the catalyst to starting my own vegan blog and finding like-minded individuals in my own community. In May of this year, I took a vacation to Portland, Oregon and met up with vegan bodybuilder Robert Cheeke and other members of the vegan bodybuilding forum who were just wonderful, down-to-earth and incredibly inspiring people.

Today, I supported the Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary by attending their annual Thanksliving fundraiser with a menu of the most amazing vegan appetizers, main course and dessert. The speakers included the always hysterical Dan Pirraro, Skinny Bitch Rory Friedman and Kris Carr of Crazy Sexy Cancer fame. Before we knew it, Kris was circling our table with video camera in tow and interviewing my mom, my dad and myself for the sanctuary. Dig that ... Kris Carr wanted to ask ME about my vegan journey. I'm sure I didn't say anything too profound but, it was just one of those cool vegan moments that waits for you to just show up. Kris has one of those beautiful energies that you are just happy to be part of for that fleeting moment.

So - take part in your own life. FEED your passions! If you are so passionate about veganism, honor it. Seek out other vegans even if it means taking a trip to meet them. It will be SO worth it - I promise.

PEACE & Vegan Love - David

Edited by davidmNY

David,

It's so nice to hear that you're doing well! Very exciting times for you. I saw your video on vegan.com recently!

Take care.

Diane

You are the rockin'-est! I miss you guys, I miss Portland - I miss your amazing vegan sausage!! I think I will have to make a trip back in 2009 [?] I hope.

PEACE - me

• 1 year later...

Back from the depths of VBBF forums - I was 4 pages in - last post was Nov 25, 2008! Still, I've been here lurking, looking for my inspiration which came in the form of p90x. I've never been organized enough to push myself on a gym routine - I never feel like I know what to do so, p90x is my personal trainer and keeping me focused.

First week of p90x was interrupted by 2 days of snowpocalypse and digging out from snow which was work-out enough. I had about a day of rest, which is part of the program anyway, and then back into it. My muscles certainly didn't feel as though they missed a beat. I'm now in the middle of week 2 and the burn continues. I stopped trying to have dinner beforehand and waiting an hour before exercise. It wasn't feeling too good so, I get home from work and right into exercise now. My brain activity is starting to really pick up, which feels great. That's happening, I believe, because of a concert of influences. Along with the workouts, I picked up some vitamin D supplementation. Although my recent blood test showed I was on the low end, I was still within normal ranges. I also read up on Holy Basil/Tulsi and picked up some caffeine free, Organic India Tulsi Tea. Along with exercise, vitamin D and the tea last night, it felt like my brain was dilating and everything was crystal clear. It was an awesome feeling. I've been having pretty vivid dreams this past week too which has been great. I haven't had some good, memorable dreams in a long while.

I was struggling after work yesterday at the thought of going home to exercise. It's still difficult at times imagining keeping this up. Being fit and keeping at it is a bitch though, I'm hoping as time goes on, it just becomes routine like taking a shower. I hope that my struggles and eventual triumphs will be an inspiration to those like myself who who have a tougher time keeping it going. There are many ways to keep fit. Find the one that's right for you.