Who here doesn't take supplements?

I'm trying to do that trying to eat healthier so that there is no need to take tablets. I haven't taken tablets for a while. I haven't taken protein powder for a long time either. I primarily want to avoid that because its expensive though.

Exactly why I started too. Those things are expensive! Then I read about the Toxicity of taking over the amount you should, and adding Multi Vitamins would make the problem worse. Good luck man!

I take only vitamins. I feel i'm on the safe side with them as i think out food is deprived of their natural amount of nutritients.

So i take a multivitamin and brewer's yeast.

As soon as i can afford, i'm gonna get me some non-soy protein powder.

I love protein shakes

With your definition, Id think you would be on Carnitine or something Never heard of this "brewers yeast" before. Whats it do?

It's yeast

It's a byproduct of the beer industry, therefore it's quite cheap.

It contains a stack of B vitamins, minerals, trace elements, protein/essential amino acids.

On the package it says it's for healthy nails, hair and skin But i take it because B vitamins play a major role in energy and protein metabolism

I still take vitamins and minerals, although not as much as I used to.

I used to take Brewers Yeast too - been meaning to get it again - for the reasons Alex has already stated. Lot's of B Vit's very cheap.

Go for Brewer's Yeast in tablet form. Do not ever buy the powder - it is truly hideous and virtually undrinkable.

It's yeast

It's a byproduct of the beer industry, therefore it's quite cheap.

It contains a stack of B vitamins, minerals, trace elements, protein/essential amino acids.

On the package it says it's for healthy nails, hair and skin But i take it because B vitamins play a major role in energy and protein metabolism

Thanks for the info on it, sounds good! Waste products, yay!

Go for Brewer's Yeast in tablet form. Do not ever buy the powder - it is truly hideous and virtually undrinkable.

Sounds like this one Soy Protein Powder I have. I throw up when I drink it...

That's too bad. You appear quite dogmatic about it.

For anyone else reading, all vegans should take B-12 supplements and something with omega 3's (like flax oil). That so many don't bother to educate theirselves on this, is why vegans currently have an average life expectancy that is no better than the average meat eater.

Hi Jay, When I was a fruitarian I was always told that there was no way I could survive on a diet of fruits because I wasn't going to get certain nutrients, over time I learnt that going raw opens you up to things that you would not of known otherwise, I ended up being a fruitarian for ten years trouble free. I was confronted by many,many people like you that found it in their hearts to impose their opinions on the way I chose to live my life as a strict fruitarian, it scared me at first but as I carried on and saw the results for myself I grew in confidence, although you may see your intentions as being good your only seeing the world through your eye's, just because Kollision choose's to get his nutrients from the food he eats doesn't make his personal choice "a shame" you/we need to see the world through his eye's to see why he's made that choice, we all have our personal thoughts and experiences that guide us to take certain views or paths in life but we should also realise that it is just that "personal" infact I also choose to use whole foods as my source of nutrients and not take supplements the only difference is that I question the whole nutrients thing period from food or otherwise! so to me supplementation is useless! but that's my personal opinion. This life expectancy thing goes way deeper than vit b12! it's the same for raw vegans they don't live any longer than anybody else either, I personaly think this is because we are all products of cooked food, our parents ate it and their parents ate it and their parents and that's without mentioning any other abuses or world wide pollution/radiation exposure! When it comes to true health there are so many things that can affect your absorbtion of whetever nutrient you think your getting such as storage/handling, soil depletion etc, can you look at an apple and be able tell what or how many vitamins your getting? I don't think any of us can, can you take a vitamin pill and be sure your absorbing it?. Believe me I've learnt that the body is a resilient thing if the body can cope with cooked food and anything else we throw at it all these years! Have you ever heard of Pottenger's cats? check this out http://www.nutritionreallyworks.com/Pottengers-cats.html it's pretty interesting . Another thing I learnt as a raw vegan is that there are so many lies out there! the only truth is that people need to sell products! That's just personal my opinion.

Can a Natural Diet Require Supplements?

by Jack Norris, RD

Some vegans wrote me after reading earlier versions of Vitamin B12: Are You Getting It?, saying that by implying vegans need to take a supplement, I am portraying the vegan diet as unnatural. One person said, "All the vegans I know are healthy and they neither take vitamin B12 supplements nor eat foods fortified with vitamin B12."

It is true that many vegans do not supplement with B12 and remain apparently healthy for many years. These vegans normally have no idea what their homocysteine levels are, nor what chronic diseases such elevated levels might be causing. They also do not know if they are suffering from unnoticeable nerve damage. You are taking a big chance by assuming you have transcended a need for a typical B12 intake.

As people live longer, homocysteine has more years to cause damage to the body. Because of this, the human need for B12 has increased over time. The longer a vegan does not supplement with B12, the lower their active B12 levels will drop, increasing their homocysteine levels.

In Western society today, it is easy to ensure an adequate B12 intake. Vegans who supplement with B12 can have superior B12 status to non-vegetarians who do not supplement. In fact, the Food and Nutrition Board says that all people (not just vegans) over age 50 should "meet their RDA mainly by consuming foods fortified with B12 or a B12-containing supplement."

I would encourage vegan advocates to make achieving superior B12 status for all vegans one of our goals. As such, all new vegans should be told to ensure an adequate supply of B12 by the people or organizations who encourage them to change their diet.

For anyone else reading, all vegans should take B-12 supplements and something with omega 3's (like flax oil). That so many don't bother to educate theirselves on this, is why vegans currently have an average life expectancy that is no better than the average meat eater.

b12 is present in meat because of cows eating grass etc and consumin dirt/broken down plant life...

humans store b12 and if you stopped eating any b12 at age 20 you'd prolly have enough to still have a wee bit in reserve in your late 40s

mushrooms and tempeh(soy beans bound with a mushroom culture) will provide you with b12.

Pay for my supplement, then we will have a convo You're making it sound as if we have all that money to spend on supplements.

Pay for my supplement, then we will have a convo You're making it sound as if we have all that money to spend on supplements.

Just buy soymilk that comes fortified with B12, it doesn't cost any more than normal soymilk. And you can get bulk flax seeds for really cheap too

Just buy soymilk that comes fortified with B12, it doesn't cost any more than normal soymilk. And you can get bulk flax seeds for really cheap too

I don't buy soymilk, it's pretty expensive down here.

Even a B-12 supplement is really inexpensive, particularly if you use it sparingly and make it last. I'll use the B-12 spray we sell, for example - there's 175 servings per bottle on the average, and if you were to take it once per week....welll....you get the picture as to how long you can make a $9.95 item last if you wanted to. Over 3 years' supply for less than $10 is pretty reasonable to ensure against potential problems from deficiencies.

I myself don't plan on gambling that my diet encompasses every nutrient combination perfectly. I know that it doesn't because I know how I eat, so why take a chance?

Ryan