Jeremy's Blog

Guest veganpotter

I definitely had poop legs today so I'm giving them a bit of rest. So this morning I decided to kill my abs...I may do a bit more too. Tomorrow will be a day with lots of easy miles before work...if I don't go crazy.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

damn, 80 pages on your training journal, now I understand where your 8 thousands posts come from.

Hey man I checked your interview on the Profile section. I'm curious about one or two things...

You said: "When I’m being really good about my diet I also try my best to eat as little protein as possible to try to break my muscles down and not allow them to build back up again. "

Why is it so important for you (or for any cyclist ?) not to have to much lean mass? I guess it's just a matter of total bodyweight, like the importance of being light in sports like Formula One and horse racing. Is there another reason?

Also, do you consider that the fact of smoking pot increase your performances as an athlete, or decrease ? if it has no effect physically, perhaps it helps you psychologically, which then improve your performance ?

I like the way you said : "I like the fact that I can wake up every day knowing I’m not going to be responsible for killing others. I only wish those other people woke up every day thinking about they animals they kill on a daily basis. "

I'm thinking about paraphrasing this in a blog I wanna write about veganism, you along with some quotes of Einstein, Huxley, Ghandi and H.G. Wells.

Power to weight ratio is everything. A cyclist's power is measured in watts and a 100lb cyclist pushing 200watts will demolish a 200lb cyclist pushing 400 watts every time unless the road is perfectly flat and there is not need for slowing and accelerating. I'm at a huge disadvantage in that most of the people I'm competing with are under 160lbs...when I get to the next level many of my competitors will be under 140...some under 130. So thats why I don't want any of the mass of muscle I have now. It doesn't do me any good. Actually it does few cyclists much good which is why cyclists that are naturally very thin can often get away with athletes anorexia while still competing at a top level. Its worth it to lose a lot of power if you lose weight with that power. I'd be willing to lose 35% of my power if I could lose 30% of my weight.

Unless you're always stressed out...I don't see how smoking pot can make you a better athlete. If stress is causing you to do poorly...smoking pot may help you...otherwise you'll probably only hurt yourself...unless you only use in moderation. When it comes to pot smoking I wouldn't do it since its illegal for athletes. If I'm gonna risk taking an illegal drug it'll surely be one that'll give me much more endurance/power. If it wasn't illegal and had no ill physical effects I may be willing to smoke(I have but the last time was 12 years ago). If pot helps you that much mentally then I say go for it...but chances are you could tackle those problems another way.

I had a great ride today. The winds were relatively calm and it was only the second day of the year that I've gotten away without gloves, sleeves or knee covers. Anyhow I really laid it down today. I put in 80 hard miles with a good amount of climbing. And I really suprised myself when I checked my cycling computer near home. I averaged 19mph...normally I average 18 at most so thats quite a difference considering I wasn't using aero wheels.

I was surprised while reading your answer to my question about smoking pot, and first I didn't understand... I don't smoke that neither, but you know why I asked you this question? you're gonna laugh (or at least laugh at me ) I always tought you were a cyclist that smoke marijuana every evening to relax after a long ride! lol. I guess it's because I'm French and I mix up some words like your nickname Veganpotter and also from what I've read on your myspace page many months ago "I'm a potter, but not any potter, a vegan potter"...

I was laughing at myself when yesterday I finally understood what you meant by potter. I knew since the beginning you were doing pottery but I never made the connection between pottery and potter !

Now it's gonna take me some time to think as you as someone making pottery rather than someone smoking marijuana.

Nope...I just make pots....I don't do pot Although I think you'd be surprised how many pot smoking endurance athletes there are out there. I went to school with a few guys that are near world class marathon runners...all of whom smoked pot and now smoke even more. I'm also an acquaintance of a runner with two Olympic Medals(one gold) in the sprints who was smoking a little over 2 weeks before the 2004 Olympics in Sydney(I saw it myself and couldn't believe he was doing that so close to the games)....I'm very good friends with one of his very good friends.

I had a good day in the aero bars today...nothing too intense...just making sure I'm re acclimated after not riding it much the past few weeks. I wound up doing a few longer intervals(just over race intensity for obviously for shorter sessions) but didn't kill myself. Basically a not so easy and not so hard 34mile ride before work.

I had a great last ride before my race. Nice and hard intervals with modest rest. I'm feeling good and strong. I did a nice hilly route and put in 52 miles in about 2:55. I'll try to stay off my feet as much as possible tomorrow...hopefully I have some luck doing that. It looks like the thunder won't hurt my race but it may be wet(that actually makes for faster times since there's less friction on the road). Unfortunately the forecast is calling for 14-16mph winds...out here that means 25mph winds...hopefully this place has better meteorologists. It shouldn't hurt me too bad if it stays a side wind like the forecast states but I doubt things will be that perfect.

I knew about organic athletes team but I never would have tought about looking at their clothes on website, thanks. Wow those clothes are really amazing, and it's a combination of elements I've always love : spirals, and the word "organic". I'll buy some cycling clothes there for sure, thanks.

You should become a member...its cheaper to buy the clothes...if you buy the gear under the OA discount you'll pretty much pay for nearly half the membership...plus the money goes to a great organization.

Things went well...but not as planned. I was to be on the line at

9:30 on the nose and the guy that was supposed to start ahead of me

didn't show(we were sent off in 30second intervals). It caused some

confusion and when I was up the timer beeped...nobody was holding

me(you're supposed to be on the line 15-30 seconds before hand with

someone holding you up in place)...I wasn't clipped in...then when I

started pedaling I realized I was on the wrong side of my pedal so

again I still wasn't clipped in with my right foot. So I'm thinking

I lost at least 5 seconds and as much as 10 seconds since I really

didn't hammer it off the start the way I planned(I had to get a lot of

speed because a big hill was coming).

Now to the course. The roads were nice and smooth...very low

traffic. However the course description was way off. I've never

done a TT so hilly...or seen one so hilly for that matter. On the

way out(it was 20km out and 20km in) the winds were terrible and it

took me a while to get my rhythm(I'm sure it did for everyone not from

the area). I'm thinking I pushed way too hard in the middle of the

first half of the race(it was obvious since I caught 3 people before

the 10k marker(that means I was 120 seconds ahead of them...not 90

since there was a missing guy infront of me). By the turnaround I was

toast but I passed another 2-3 people before hand. That was pretty

much all the Cat 4 racers that started before me. I was really

lagging at the turnaround but I was still passing people. I was

passing people in mass which felt good. I was going 5-10mph faster

than some people when I passed them...I'm sure it was very

discouraging for them:) Anyhow the course was far from flat...even

with a great tailwind for the way back I had to climb a hill and I

dropped to 13mph...thats insanely slow considering how much of a

tailwind I had. Once I crested the hill...at least there was a nice

downhill. I actually hit 42mph...thats a sign the race isn't close

to as flat as claimed. I had a strong finish but wish I laid off a

bit before I got to the halfway point. I really think I lost some

time and spent too much time recovering at the start of the second

half of the race. Anyhow...now for the results...I came in at

57:18(my goal was to break 56 but that wasn't happening with all the

hills and wind). I didn't think my time was all that fast until I

actually saw what the other times were. I missed first by 3 seconds

which was lost from my start and then some. Anyhow even with that

result I bagged $60...I should have gotten $100 but what can you

do???

Anyhow looking at the other times really makes me feel good about my

fitness, and makes me realize how terrible I am at crits considering

my TT time. One of my customers is a 54:30TT rider(and a Cat 2)...I

beat him by 1:30 and I beat a couple other sub 55TT racers which makes

me think he didn't just have a bad day(on his $10,000 Pinarello

Montello). My time also would have put me in 8th in the Pro/1/2

category(a few of them didn't even break an hour). Observing

everyones results makes me believe the sub hour guys lost at least 3

minutes to the wind and hills relative to a flat TT. This means I'm

ahead of the game and can lower my goal from breaking 55 minutes this

year. I'm going for broke and trying to break the 54 mark and I'll

call it a stretch but maybe I can hit 53:30. I've barely done any

power training and I'm thinking this is a reasonable goal considering

where I am now.

You're right...my left leg is much stronger for pushing...I need my right for pulling though...especially off the line. As for a pursuit I'd love to show the Diva whats up...I bet I can put down a 5:08 or faster right now. I didn't expect to be where I am right now and I can't wait to get to a track and put a time in...I just wish it were the Victoria track With this time I'm thinking I should surely be under 5 minutes by the end of the season...I'm really excited about this!!!

Unfortunately...that person feels the same way and bugs the hell out of everyone...if I'm in a big group at least 1-2 people want me there.

You should become a member...its cheaper to buy the clothes...if you buy the gear under the OA discount you'll pretty much pay for nearly half the membership...plus the money goes to a great organization.

That's what I did. I'm now member and I bought for almost 300$ of clothes. It would have been a bit pathetic to do cycling with all those OA clothes on without being really associated with that team.