HSOrlandos 2013 Journal: Being vegan in a non vegan world

(Wednesday): walked to gym, and did Body Pump. Went a bit too light on a couple things, but went heavier than everyone else, (my usual weight) on biceps. Am getting slightly better at the new ab set. You start in a hover, then side plank, then hover again, then side plank on opposite side, then finish with crunches with a plate in your lap. I'm strong enough but my balance sucks!

(Thursday): muscle toning: was supposed to be a trainer I like, but was someone from a different YMCA location. I don't want to sound mean but I really didn't enjoy her class. She mainly had us doing the same thing over, and over. And there were some various exercises that just felt a bit odd! I know I'm not a personal trainer "yet", but some of the exercises seemed like a person could get easily injured. Perhaps it was just me though. After the class I only ran for 3 miles,due to a tight schedule. But I did my best to go a bit faster than usual. I also asked the running instructor about my overall form, and on Tuesday she said I had pretty good form, but she did notice that my running gait is extrememly short, and that hinders my getting faster. The only time I really have longer strides is when I sprint.

(Friday): I was going to do another BodyPump class, but before work I decided I would take my usual day off. So then of course my brother wanted to go to the gym, so I got to go and wish I had my stuff to workout in, but just sat there for 45 minutes and read some magazines.

(Saturday): Cardio Strength class was basically a Body Pump class with intervals of cardio in it. I was a bit worried when the trainer said it was going to be really hard. For me that entails a lot of bodyweight exercises, and jumping from a standing positon to a pushup position. I'm not that agile obviously! But it was still a tough class. Then I ran for 4.5 miles, ansd then walked to the library, which is about another half mile. Later I am going to meet my Mom, and then go stuff my face at the vegan restaurant.

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both group classes I took today were quite difficult, but soooo much fun! Step was very fast paced, and by the end of it I could barely tell my left, from my right. And the Body Pump class may well have been the toughest one I've ever taken. The instructor took sets from different releases and I swear each body part had the hardest sets that we've had so far. And I did my best to go as heavy as I've ever gone. I didn't quite get there, but it made me want to take it to the next level.

Well I finally got to the library so I can update this a bit.

Monday: 31st Muscle Toning 45 minutes (can't remember what it was like but I know I got in a good workout)

Tuesday:April 1st: ran 2.5 miles For various reason I was tired, so I was going to cut the run short after I ran with the trainer, and one other person, but it ended up being shorter than I wanted because my ride got there early.

WednesdayApril2nd: BodyPump class

Thursday: I did a 1 hour Muscle toning class that about killed me, then I ran for about 5 miles, the longest I've run. I can't be sure though because I don't have a pedometer. It was a really fun run though, and I did pretty good timewise too.

Friday, and Saturday I took off

Sunday April 6th: Step class, and BodyPump. I'm finallly back up to a 40 pound barbell with my squats even though the new track has an extra set. I'm also improving on my side planks at the end, and I'm feeling a lot stronger lately.

MondayApril 7th: Muscle Toning 45 minutes. We used hand weights, and a barbell, and I actually managed some 35 pound bicep curls, not too many though. I'm just surprised I could lift my arm at all.

After the class the group exercise director asked me if I was still interested in getting a job at the Y. He said normally they want people that have more experience, but he also said they want nice, personable people. I didn't know I was that personable lol, I'm pretty quiet, but I have a good feeling about this. He's not just in charge of the group classes, I guess he's also covering the Wellness department now, which is basically making sure people aren't going to hurt themselves, and setting up cardio machines, and stuff like that. I'm not getting my hopes up, but I think I may actually get my foot in the door soon, and maybe even before I'm certified to train. I'll just have to wait and see.

Tuesday I ran with the running instructor. I was the only one that showed up, so it was a good time to talk about my progress in my runs I had a really bad cramp in my side so after 2 miles I stopped, but then I ran another 3 miles.The trainer also told me about an upcoming race that she's running along with some people from the running club. It was nice to be invited, and after the run she said a friend invited everyone for breakfast, and she said I could come too. I suppose there would be some sort of fruit, and of course coffee, so I might go.

Wednesday: Body Pump (barbell training class) 1 hour

Thursday: Muscle Toning ( it was a substitute from another Y. She was alright, but it wasn't the bast workout of my like. Ran about 4 miles I think. I had another cramp in my side, I'm thinking it's because I'm eating too soon before I run.

Friday: rest day

I finally have an internet connection again, hopefully this is the end of my computer trouble. So I checked out the website for the group classes schedule, and they've finally added Body Pump on Saturdays. For some reason certain instructors seem to make me want to work harder too. I do my best to push myself with the weights in each BP class. Sometimes a 20lb barbell is heavy enough, and sometimes a 25lb barbell is what I use, it depends on what track the instructor chooses. Today we went with the the track from the 63rd release for BP, which is what the instructors started with when they first got certified. It's fun to go back to an old set and do it again. Today my weights were 20lbs warmup weight, 40lbs squats, 30 lbs chest, then for the last minute we dropped some weight, so I went down to 20lbs for the last very long 60 seconds. For back I went back to 30lbs, and this was also an older track. Triceps I tried very hard to complete at 25lbs, but couldn't quite do it. I started biceps at same weight but had to take the extra five lbs off after a minute. Lunges used 20lb barbell, and two 5 lb plates when we did alternate lunges. For shoulders I tried a 20lb barbell for overhead press, but haven't improved much, if at all,also used two 5 lb plates at end for lateral raises, and overhead presses. Abdominals were ok, did hovers, side planks, and used a 10lb plate at the end for some regular and side crunches.Then I got to stretch!

Today was also the Y's "Healthy Kid Day", so it was a packed gym. I sat down for about 15 minutes after I ate a banana,and then went running. I did alright during the run, I believe it was a five mile run. But once I got back inside I was feeling a bit funny. I think it was a mix of the heat, humidity, and hot Florida sun. I was so red in the face, I probably looked like I was going to pass out. One person did ask if I was alright. Anyway I think I will have no choice but to run a lot earlier, or later in the day from now on. The only day this concerns me is on Saturdays, the other days I run in the evening so the sun isn't as hot. I hope to get up to a 10k run before it gets too much hotter, then during the next several months of a hot summer I will just concentrate on getting my mileagein, and not concern myself with my times. This is what I've been told by the running instructor. During the hot Florida weather if you can manage to get your runs in, and if at the same pace, then after summer you will have actually improved in running. I'm trying to check my mileage on mapmyrun.com, but my computer can't handle the map because it isn't working for me.

Stree, stress, stress! Sucks sucks sucks!! I wasn't stressed until I finished my workout, so unfortunately I couldn't beat it out of me. But back to my training.

Today I did Step, and Body Pump. Step class was fun, and the choreography got kind of wacky. I don't know how the step instructors do it, because once you do the right side, you have to balance it out on the left. I know I get a good cardio session in when I can't remember which way is left, ha ha.

Body Pump was also great. Because I did a BP class yesterday I did go a bit lighter on chest,triceps,and biceps, but I also got through all the sets without stopping.

Today I did 30 minutes on the precor, then muscle toning for 45 minutes.

In a 45 minute class we packed in a lot of stuff. There were barbells, 10, and 6 lb weights, and a leg band in use.

Squats with bb were 40lbs, lots of bottom half squats. Shoulders, I used a bar for front rows at 20lbs, then tiny 6 lb weights for overhead presses, which I continue to struggle with, ugh. Lunges using the step I held 2 ten lb weights. Chest presses I used a 25lb barbell, and both sets of weights. triceps were overhead, and I used a 10lb weight, and biceps used a 25, and then dropped it to a 20 lb barbell. Aldo used the leg band for outer thigh exercises, and then did ab work with a 10 lb plate.

Thursday: Muscle Toning,and ran for 3 miles

Friday: rest day

Saturday: Body Pump class/ran for 6.5 miles, and then cooled down for half a mile to make it 7 miles total. I was doing great, but halfway through my right ankle started to hurt, quite a lot too. Anyway I managed to get to 6.5 miles alternating walking,and running. Now I am resting my ankle, and hopefully it won't be sore tomorrow because I will be taking a Step class.

way to pass the 10k mark, you go girl! As per the post on thurs, join the race and run. What could be better than congregating outdoors with a whole bunch of runners to go a certain distance and share some good clean and healthy vibes? Make it happen, you'll be pleased that you did and you'll want to enter more, I can assure you. Best part about running a race is that unless you are in the top 20 runners bracket, you really are racing against yourself and the course which most sports do not have. Golf is another but i despise golf. It is the worst thing ever and I am horrible at it. No matter how hard I tried because my pops wants me to golf with him. That sport is not for me.

Sunday: Step class, and Body Pump

Monday: decided to do something a bit different, so I took a spinning class.

Got dropped off at the gym early so I did 15 minutes of cardio to warm up. Then I did a quick, like 20 minutes, workout of biceps, and back. For biceps I used 12 pound weights, probably could have used 15. I did regular curls, hammer curls, bicep curls with a twist, and another variation I can't remember now. For back used the lat pulldown machine, wide, and narrow grip, and did some unilateral rows. I was about to use a rowing machine, but then someone else got to it before I did. Again the spinning class really isn't for me. I just don't feel it, at least not in the 45 minute time frame of the class. I checked the person next to me, and I was going about the same pace, most of the time. I'm not used to changing the gears on these spinning bikes, so I wanted to make sure I had enough resistance. Anyway then I did abs, and stretching and was done.

Ok my normal routine at the gym has been mixed up this week. Today I walked to the gym after work. Actually I have to do this every day now as the family car is used at this time so my brother can get to work. I took a Muscle Toning class, and it was brutal. Five minutes into it I was already sweating. I usually meet a running instructor on Tuesdays to work with me on my slow running, but I'm meeting her on Thursday instead. After MT I did run, but I'm not eating enough, so I only ran for a pitiful 2.5 miles. But I did go faster I think. Of course my legs were torn apart from the mt class so it may have just felt like I was going faster.

Ok, I think the running instructor was trying to kill me tonight lol. She wanted to know how far I was going to run, so I casually said probably around 5 miles, thinking I'd go 2 with her, and then finish by myself. Well she said we could just go her normal route of 4.5 miles. So I knew I was in trouble. I never ran so fast! I got through a bit more than half, and then we were at a park and got some water. There's also restrooms there, so it seems like a good route to go. Then we started the second half, and I was slowing down more, and more. I only do this when I'm at extremes. So I walked a little, and then ran more, and I was never so happy to get within half a mile of the Y. In all we ran past, over, and around 4 lakes, so it is a scenic run. I'm also going to start doing hill training with her, when we run. I didn't think Florida had hills! But there are some near the gym, so I have that to look forward to.

Today I didn't workout because I was at another Y location taking cpr, and first aid. So now I finally have those certs, and am one step closer to my goals.

Unfortunately all I had to eat all day, was a bowl of Kashi with unsweetened silk soymilk, and around 12pm a luna bar that I am so grateful I thought to put in my purse. I had the thought that I would buy a smoothie, but the Y I went to did not have a "Tropical Smoothie", but at least it had free coffee. So then I got home and finally ate a meal of brown rice, and bean burritos.

I have been so busy all week, with taking the bus, waiting for the bus, walking to the gym, training at the gym, and going home and crashing around 8pm. Here's what I've been doing at the gym this week.

Sunday: 1/2 hour of cardio on an eliptical (skipped step because it was a substitute) Body Pump class 55 minutes ( I seem to remember going quite heavy for some of the exercises that day)Great workout

Monday: 45 minutes of free weights (muscle toning class) I can't exactly remember what we did, but we hit shoulders and hamstrings quite hard because I felt it for a few days in those areas

Tuesday:walked to gym after work/ did a tempo run for 3 miles, then ran another 2 because the instructor wanted me to run with someone that's just getting back to running, so I couldn't say no

Wednesday:1/2 hour on eliptical, and Body Pump (was quite tired for a few reasons but managed to get in some cardio, and a BP class, but went with less weight than usual)

Thursday: Muscle Toning class 55 minutes Throughout the class there were pushups about every five minutes, tons of planks, lots of bicep curls, lunges, cardio intervals like jumping over and onto the step, jumping jacks, etc. At the end there were leg raises holding a bar (mine was 15lbs) and some other stuff I can't think of right now. skipped my run, would have pushed myself but felt it was wiser to skip tonight

Friday: rest day- felt yesterdays class mostly in my hip flexors, and quads, more in my left leg than right leg too

Today I went to the gym early, around 9am. I decided to run before I did anything else. So I went for a nice 4.5 mile run. Actually I just mapped the run I did yesterday, and it was closer to 5 miles, because at one point I ran down the wrong street, which sent me further, although at first I thought it was the opposite. I've been a little tired and worn out this week, so I did end up walking for part of it. Then I had a power smoothie, which I was surprised only had like 200 calories, at least that's what the nutritional sheet said. At 12pm I took a Body Pump class. I'm doing another BP class tomorrow so I didn't go as heavy as I could have. Of course the instructor told me I need a day of rest inbetween, so I just mentioned I had taken a day off yesterday. The way I figure it is if the trainers have to weight train more than one day in a row when they teach classes, then why can't I. If I get tired I'll just skip a set, or some reps, just like they do. I''ve been doing this for a while now and I have had no problems. Now if I were lifting heavy, heavy weights then I would need more rest, but I'm mostly doing endurance stuff at this point, because of the class setting. Who knows what will happen later this year.

Edited by hsorlando

Today I took a Step class, and did another Body Pump class. The Step class was so much fun today. There was a lot of interesting, but hard choreography, and I kept at a pretty good cardio level the entire time. In Body Pump I went heavier for the warmup, but only by five lbs. I want to go heavier for squats, but it's already a bit difficult to lift the barbell over my head and onto the shoulders. I do tend to stand in front of the class, near the instructor, so maybe if I mention it, I can get help removing it. I'm a little embarassed at the amount of weight I use, especially when I look at some of the other female vegan online journals. I just have to remind myself that right now since I am doing 98% class settings that it is more of a higher rep, and thus lower weight workout for endurance, and definition purposes.

I skipped the gym today because I had a bit of a sore throat when I woke up. And I have a feeling the trainer who I've taken the last three classes from would have yelled at me to go home and get some rest, and not overdo it lol. But tomorrow I will be taking a muscle toning class, and then go for a run after. I'm not meeting the running instructor because she can't be there, but was asked to show up at the usual time in case anyone else comes for a run with us. Since I ran for 5 miles on Saturday I think tomorrow I will go for a shorter maybe 2-3 mile fast run.

Had a horrible run, but terrific muscle toning class. Except for the fact that there was a stupid camera man in the room filming us, they do this when they have something on the news about the YMCA. And since the YMCA I go to is the main one they almost always film stuff here. And no one ever tells you if these people are coming so it's always quite unexpected. Anyway in MT there were lots of squats, lunges, pushups, and quite a bit of cardio, which was mainly running around the perimiter of the room. And because my legs felt like rubber, and I didn't eat enough today I only managed to run 2 miles, and not fast like I was hoping. But I also wasn't feeling 100% yesterday so perhaps that had something to do with it.