Sprouted Grains, do you love them?

I am addicted to sprouted grains now. I started eating the breads, fruit bars, cereals etc. a few months ago, and just love them. I still eat brown rice and oats occasionally but for the most part I have given up the whole wheat flours.

What do you guys think?

We have a local bread company and we like his sprouted wheat bread best. Ezekial comes in a close second and those manna breads are addictive. I've tried making some myself but they usually turn out like bricks.

I'm not sure what sprouting does if you just mix the sprouts with regular flour and bake it...it does taste great though but I don't buy them due to the price. I do however love eating sprouted grains by them self...or on salads.

I am going to start sprouting my own pretty soon, waiting on the sprouting jar a friend has. I buy the products from our health food stores. Picked up some english muffins this morning. They are coming out with everything now, Tortillas the works.

I am not sure how difficult it would be to make your own bread though, seems time consuming, to have all the different sprout like what is in the Ezekiel 4:9 products.

I am just glad that there are products out there and we dont have to do all the work. Yeah they are more expensive then regular breads etc, but not really that much.

When I sprout grains, I tend to sprout a larger amount than a jar would hold. I just put them in a colander, over a bowl and cover with a large towel. Then I put them somewhere dark (closet). I think grains are easy to sprout without any extra equipment.

Hemp sprout bags are great. I bought one directly from The Sproutman...its holds a hell of a lot of sprouts and you don't need to deal with molding the way you do with a jar. I actually regret not buying another.

currently I'm just soaking quinoa and long grain brown rice overnight in a bowl of water, rinsing once or twice over a 24 hour period per Dr. Fuhrman's advice (to greatly increase the nutritional value of grains) from Eat to Live. Usually I keep the bowls on the stove under the stove hood with the light always on and the fan on too. Do I want air flow around the bowls? Do I want to keep the light on or do I want it dark? Is this process suitable or should I make some changes?

I can see the grains aren't sprouting and I don't think they are suppose to but per Dr. F, reactions are taking place within the grain to increase the nutritional value...

I started to answer this post and realized that there are very big differences in sprouting suggestions, depending on the source. Here is a link that should help.

As with all sprouts, it's important to rinse them a few times per day, keep them in the dark and not let them sit in water (to keep the bacterial load down). If you don't have a sprouting jar, bag or trays, a colander over a pan or bowl works well.

I like the idea of a Hemp sprout bag too. Going to see if I can find a couple.

DV thanks for the link. That is a good one, I found that one last week. But has a lot of info and I have bookmarked it this time

I used to germinate seeds by rapping them in a wet towel, but of course for sprouting to a certain height I need something that I can continue to rinse every day. So a colender is a good idea to get started with, and yes it holds more than a jar would.

Anyone made any bread or tortillas yet?

I started to answer this post and realized that there are very big differences in sprouting suggestions, depending on the source. Here is a link that should help.

As with all sprouts, it's important to rinse them a few times per day, keep them in the dark and not let them sit in water (to keep the bacterial load down). If you don't have a sprouting jar, bag or trays, a colander over a pan or bowl works well.

Thanks DV, I forgot to mention that I am steaming the quinoa and long grain brown rice after I soak them. Thanks for your advice on the light aspect too. Will steaming the grains kill some of the bacteria?

Troy, I thought you were sprouting, not soaking. I wouldn't worry too much about bacteria if you are just soaking things overnight (or 24 hours) and then rinsing well. Steaming will kill some bacteria but not all. Again, I don't think you need to worry. You might not even need to keep them in the dark for your purpose.

DV, thanks... I am working my way to sprouting. My food prep time takes a chunk of time out of day as it is but as soon as I know enough info on the subject I'm going to start little by little. Thanks for the heads up.