Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1288 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:55 am 
Just abs today...trying to keep fresh for the big race on Sunday...hopefully its not canceled :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:24 am 
Rabbit

Good luck for tomorrow! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:32 pm 

I just got back from my race and it went really well. Of course there was some type of drama at the beginning though :roll: The zipper on my skinsuit actually ripped on me. I was getting my number pinned on by a fellow Organic Athlete member and then I started warming up on my trainer. When I got up off my trainer I noticed my zipper was attached up top but it was slip for about 18" in the middle...it looked ridiculous. I had to pin it together with extra race number pins and I really cooled down from my warm up doing that. I had to run and rush to the start line and part of my cycling cleats broke off since I had to run in gravel. That caused more problems than I'd like. My fellow OA teammate was entered in her first ever bike race(she's a triathlete) ever. I was supposed to start some 5 minutes before her but there were once again missing riders so she started about 4 minutes in front of me. Anyhow I wasn't prepared at all and once I got to the line I couldn't clip my pedals in...they were full of dirt and gravel so they gave me another 30 seconds. I got my left foot in...then I had to get my left foot in. Again...that took a while and I didn't really get it in until I got about 10 pedal strokes into the race(I've got really bad luck with pedals as this is the second race in a row where something hasn't gone right).

Once I got started it was pretty much all smooth sailing. The person in front of me had a minute on me rather than the normal 30 seconds due to my mishap and I didn't pass him for a while but I caught him by the 10k mark...after that I was passing people pretty regularly....especially after the turnaround. The course was mostly false flats but more downhill on the way out than in and there was just a slight tailwind(compared to what I'm used to) and I knew the way back would be hell. At the turnaround you had to call out your number and they stopped your time...we all had to get inline to start again. That made it really tough to get started again. I think I had about a 3 minute rest...a 30 second rest is fine...and so is a 10 minute rest but 3 minutes just makes your muscles cold. Anyhow I was making really good time. The way back wasn't quite as fast. Again there were false flats but on the way in than on the way out. Either way I think I put in a negative split...we'll see when the complete results come out later. I just know my time was 49:06 for 36 Kilometers. My average speed was 26.5mph...not blazing but the false flats were a killer. Anyhow I won my category by a minute so I can't complain about that. Its nice to finally get a Time Trial win in...I pretty much won a time trial last year by 30 seconds but due to me starting 10 minutes late...my official time was 9:30 slower than it really was.

My OA teamate really kicked ass. She was really hesitant about doing a road race but she finished second amongst the women with pretty meager aerodynamic equipment. No aero helmet...no aero wheels...no aero bike...just aero bars. She came in well under 56 minutes and finished second amongst the women...not bad considering she's over 50 and a lot of the women she beat were half her age with full aero garb. She could really be a great time trialist if she had the right gear and focused on it. I bet she could be a nationally ranked masters time trialist...only time will tell though.

We had a great day...you can't complain about two podium spots for Organic Athlete!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:57 pm 
Elephant

Congrats! :D :D :D
POTTER! POTTER! POTTER! :P

:usa2: :usa2: :usa2:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:05 am 
Site Admin

Nice work Potter!

Congratulations man! Great to read about the event, thank for the recap.

Go OA and VP!

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:17 am 
Stegosaurus

Whoooa hoooo !! Go Potter GO !!!
and go lady with no areo parts :D !! That's awesome
Vegans are so determined don't you think ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:24 am 
Rabbit

Great work, Potter :D.

Is OrganicAthlete a vegan group or just organics, as the name suggests?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:09 am 
Thanks everyone :D

Ping...Organic Athlete is a national organization(we have international members but no chapters overseas yet outside of Canada which isn't overseas) for vegan athletes. Not everyone in the organization is vegan since we're trying to be open to everyone. Everybody on our pro cycling squad is vegan but since we're non profit and want grant money and things we've gotta keep open to others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:19 pm 
Elephant

congratulations Potter !

I'm probably gonna join a cyclist club in my region, cycling with semi-pros, representing Organic Athlete.
Talking about OrganicAthlete, I just got my clothes a few days ago and I wore them today for the first time, with the "go vegan!" written on back. I like the green/orange colors!
I wonder why there's not more OA chapters everywhere. No official chapters in Quebec, maybe just one or two in Canada. I'm a member of Kino (a fillmmaker organization that started in Montreal 8 years ago, after only a few years it was worldwide, with chapters opening in all cities of the world.

I did 60km with lots of climbing and I was sooo tired, worst pain I ever felt in my legs in all the years I've been cycling ! Next days will be better.

What do you think about all the drug use by the cyclist champions? Do you know Geneviève Jenson, she was winning most races in Quebec and Canada, I think she was also in the top female cyclists, but she admitted she used EPO since the beginning she started as a cyclist!
A French tv program telling the story, at "retour sur enquête, 27th March, première partie"
http://www.radio-canada.ca/actualite/v2/enquete/?r=3#

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:36 pm 
I'm happy you like your kit and wore it already. You should join a local club...there are lots of perks if you plan on racing. As for there not being OA chapters everywhere maybe you can start one. Thing is...you need vegans interested in fitness. In some places its hard enough to find vegans...here I can barely find any vegans...and its almost harder to find people that are fit.

When you talk doping and cycling you can pretty much guarantee everyone near the top is doping. Jenson was doping as a kid and there isn't even much money in womens cycling...especially when she was younger. Now think of how early doping happens when money is on the line. There's a good amount of cash and glory out there for men...there always has been so you've gotta figure its at least 3x a bad. I don't like it but at the same time some of these guys were raised on dope...the never knew any better and are now in the habit of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:38 pm 
I felt terribly on my ride today. I was fine when I woke up and figured I'd have a good ride but I was wrong about that. Anyhow I still managed to get my 100miles in. The hills felt extra steep today and I definitely put more effort in than I should have the day after a time trial. I still averaged 17.4mph but I really should have been under 17. I may force myself to take the day off tomorrow...we'll see. My race is on Saturday instead of Sunday so I've gotta taper a bit differently this week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:54 pm 
I took the day off the bike today. I did my standard 1000+ ab reps but no biking. My legs are shot...I've gotta lead the fast group tomorrow and hopefully I feel better for it. If not I'll need to take it really easy on Thursday and Friday. Hopefully things get cleared up. Sometimes I feel much better after a day off and a hard day but we'll see. It looks like the weather may be crap on Thurs/Friday so that may actually be good for my race on Saturday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:47 pm 
Rabbit

Rock on for the podium spots! That's FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:09 am 
Rabbit

I know my post is a little behind, but congrats on your win! That is awesome and I loved the detailed recap of your event. With all that seemed to be going wrong at the beginning it is awesome that you were able to overcome that and still win your group (final results will also be interesting). I know you would never give up and it probably pushed you a little more but I've heard there is a lot to be said about being in your "game" rythym/focus (mental, physical) and its cool that you were able to overcome and not let that affect your final outcome. :D

This may have already been discussed in the past but do you ever ride with helmet cams? That would be fun to see.

Congrats again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:44 am 
Thanks :D For some reason things always go wrong during my favorite race. As for my final result I had the 4th best time overall. I beat a few pros and a bunch of other really strong riders so I'm happy where I'm at. As for a helmet cam it wouldn't be legal in a road race(I think its only legal for mountain bikers)...plus even a small helmet cam would make me lose at least 8-10 seconds in time...I only lost my last race by 3 seconds. I'll probably use a helmet cam for the first time I go mountain biking though. I'm not sure when thats gonna be but I'm buying my boss' old bike and our head mechanic has a helmet cam so we'll have one on the ride...should be cool.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1288 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86  Next