Beth's Training Journal

I figured I might as well make myself comfortable here start a Training Journal here.

I am will not be competing in anything, but I am back in college to become a Personal Trainer and want to be in the best shape I can be in. I want to look the part!

Also in Sept I will start training for a big cycling Tour so want my bodyfat lower with an increase in strength.

My Body Transformation – 3 month program

Start date – May 1, 2008

Specifics - Loss 1.5 inches off my waist, 1.5 inches off my inner thighs. To add enough muscle to have good definition. And get down below 20 percent body fat.

Measurable - Use tape measure once a week and record progress, weigh on scale for BF reading.

Attainable - Lose 1 pound of fat per week, and gain ½ pound of muscle per week

Realistic - Have all the tools and knowledge to achieve my goals. Continue to research proper weight lifting techniques, and always keep an open mind on better nutrition.

Tangible - Visualize what I am going to look like when I reach my goals in 3 months, what I am going to feel like, how it will improve my self esteem.

Nutrition

1. Eat 5/6 meals a day

2. Eat fruits and veggies throughout the day

3. Drink more water

4. Vit B's in fortified products

5. Omega's from Hemp and other seeds and nuts

6. Focus on eating 60% carbs, 25% protein, and 15% fat

7. Calorie range 1300-1600

8. Limit sugar and processed foods to Free Day

9. Limit soy to just milk and protein powder except on free day

10. Allow one Free Day to eat what I want, no calorie limits

I won't be taking fat loss supplement for this program - Don't like them

Muscle Growth and Fat Loss

1. Make sure to get enough calories

2. Drink a Soy or Hemp shake twice a day.

3. 6 Day Split Routine, working each muscle group twice a week, free weights with occasional machines.

4. Cardio 7 days a week, 3 HIIT with 4 traditional cardio training.

5. Take 500mg of L-Glutimine before each workout

Other Daily Suppliments - All vegan forumulas

Womens super Mulit V in the AM

250 to 500 mg Vit C afternoon and evening

400 IU Vit E evening

500 mg Calcium in the evening

Skin

1. Get 1 to 2 hours of intentional sun a week

2. Moisturize twice a day

Mental Health

1. Relax at least 1 hour a day

2. Keep mind free from negative thoughts

3. Meditate 4 or more times a week

4. Yoga and/or Pilates 3 times a week

Body Composition

Frame - Small to Medium

Height - 5.8

Weight - 153

Estimated BF - 23%

Lean body weight in pounds - 118

Measurements in Inch

Upper Arms - 11.5 inches

Chest - 35 inches

Bust - 40.5 inches

Rib Cage - 32 inches

Waist - 27.75 inches

Hips - 33.75 inches

Buttocks - 37 inchs

Biggest part of thighs - 20.5 inches

knees - 14.5 inches

Calves - 14 inches

Typical Workout Schedule

Mondays and Thursdays Mornings - Chest, Back & Rear Delts

30 mins of HIIT

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press - 8 sets of 8-12 reps

Dumbbell Rows - 10 sets of 10 reps

Dumbbell Flyes - 2 sets of 10 reps

Bent Over Lateral Raises - 3 sets of 15 repetitions

Evening Yoga or Pilates

Tuesdays/Fridays Mornings - Shoulders, Arms & Abs

60 mins of Cardio

Dumbbell Shoulder Press - 3 sets of 10 reps

Dumbbell Upright Rows - 4 sets of 10 reps

Dumbbell Curls - 8 sets of 10 reps

Dumbbell Overhead Triceps Extensions - 8 sets of 10 reps

Wednesdays/Saturdays Mornings - Quads, Hams & Calves

30 mins HIIT or 60 Mins of traditional cardio

Dumbbell Squats - 6 sets of 8-12 reps

Dumbbell Lunges - 4 sets of 8-12 reps

Dumbbell Stiff Legged Deadlifts - 6 sets of 12 reps

Dumbbell Calf Raises - 7 sets of 20-40 reps

Evening Yoga or Pilates

Sundays - Hiking, cycling or power walking No weight lifting

All days will have good stretch after workout, and a light stretch after warmup

Great to see you have a training journal!

Awesome having you here. Now we have quite a few people from Arizona on the board.

Train hard!

Thanks Robert

Well today is Leg and Butt day. I am getting ready to go for a nice power walk with some sprints this morning, while it is still cool outside. I will do 100 or so walking lunges during this time. I am going to wait till around noon to lift weights. Maybe I can get my husband to go to the gym with me today. If not I will just lift at home.

Food today. I am still working on getting more protein, but it is not easy unless I suppliment to death.

I ate 1 large banana and 1.5 cups of mixed berries already. After my walk I will eat a sprouted grain english muffin with 2Tbs natural peanut butter and some hummus with celery.

I haven't planned on how the rest of the day will go food wise, but I am not going to eat any grains, fruits or beans after 3PM.

Edited by BethL

Keep up with your progress, you're doing great

Also great to hear that you're not taking any diet pills

Thanks Tasha

Well Sunday is here the beginning of another fun filled week. Things are looking Sweet!

Had a great Spill class this morning, No weight lifting today, but will be staying on a solid food program going to keep my calories under 1400 today.

Follow-up on today. Food is still in check, only 80 grams of protein so far at 3PM, going to run out of calories allowed so will just have steamed veggies with a little tofu at dinner time.

How about a 30 mins brisk walk, Yes I think So!!!

Great training journal so far! Where are you going to get your personal trainer cert. I am also studying to be a trainer, but not going the college route. Every time I looked into it, the biology would have been a big problem because of the dissection. So I am going for my cert from AFAA. Good luck on your endeavors.

Great training journal so far! Where are you going to get your personal trainer cert. I am also studying to be a trainer, but not going the college route. Every time I looked into it, the biology would have been a big problem because of the dissection. So I am going for my cert from AFAA. Good luck on your endeavors.

Hi Hsorlando, Cool that you are going to get certified as well Here in Tucson we have a couple different colleges outside of the UV. I will be going to Pima Community College and will finish up next May. I might get one certification before then, but not sure yet. It depends on a couple things. But I am planning on taking the ACSM and ACE. Will probably work at the YMCA this fall but will do a Co-Op starting in January. I am very excited about this

Try to get into a workshop through the AFAA if you can. The ACSM was suppose to have one last month here but they canceled, I guess not enough people. But I hope they have one this fall, from what I have heard, these workshops really help to prepair us for the exams. I still need to get CPR and First Aid certified too, but planning on doing that in July I guess.

Good Luck and Study Hard

Thanks, I finally got my first aid and cpr certs last week. I'm planning on taking AFAAs 3 day personal training seminar when they have it in this area again. I've heard from lots of trainers at my local Y that it's a tough course, but a very good one. So for now I am studying the book that I need to study, and am hoping that I will be ready.

Thanks, I finally got my first aid and cpr certs last week. I'm planning on taking AFAAs 3 day personal training seminar when they have it in this area again. I've heard from lots of trainers at my local Y that it's a tough course, but a very good one. So for now I am studying the book that I need to study, and am hoping that I will be ready.

Sounds like you are all set to go. I am sure you will do fine.

Mondays, I love Mondays! Means the weekend is behind me and I can focus on my program more without distractions.

Mood is good, energy level high

Already had an hour power walk and 15 mins of abs exercises early this morning. Getting ready to go to the gym soon to work on my Bi's Tri's and light work on my shoulders. I have a center delt injury so trying to take it easy so it will heal faster. This is the second shoulder injury I have had in the last 2 years but thankfully not the same arm. Will I ever have nice developed delts?

Started out the day with good nutrition. Mixed berries and a banana before my walk. And had boca patty on asprouted grain english muffin with a tiny bit of veganianse.

After my weight lifting session, I will have a soy protein shake made with unsweented soy protein and lite soy milk, and will add a Tbs spoon of ground flax seed and a few fresh strawberries for sweetness.

Late Lunch will be, 1 cup of pinto beans with a sprouted grain tortilla and some hot sauce. Plus a good size raw veggie plate with some calorie free dressing and salsa.

Dinner will be limited to just steamed veggies and a little tofu with salsa,

NOTE: I am out of Hemp protein so must go shopping tomorrow

Terrific Tuesday!!

Sleep well and sprits are high today, I should get in a great workout. Oh yesterday evening I walked another hour. Averaging 2.5 hours of exercise daily. If I don't start losing some bodyfat then I will either have to shorten my workout time or eat more food. Probably better for me to shorten my workouts. I DON"T WORKOUT 2.5 HOURS STEADY though unless I am hiking or taking a long bike ride.

Today is Back and Chest day, my least favorite because I can't use heavy weights on either area. Back is a risky area for me do to some back problems I have had in the past. And it has not been a full year since my surgery so not suppose to be working out the chest muscles with heavy weights.

Will be walking for cardio again today - getting ready to do that soon

Going to try to drop down to a calorie range between 1300-1400 today and see how that goes. This is not easy if I want to get all the nutrients that I believe I should have.

Food schedule for today.

Breakfast - Apple (waited a half hour) then had 1TBS peanut butter, 1 Boca Patty on a Sprouted grain enlgish muffin with a 1/2 TBS veganiase.

Midmorning Post workout - 2 TBS Hemp protein powder, 1 Cup lit soy millk, 1/2 cup mixed berries

Lunch - 1 cup black beans with a veggie Salad and calorie free dressing

Mid afternoon - 2 slices of Sprouted grain bread and a 1/2 TBS Vegan butter

Dinner - 2 servings of Tofu with steamed veggies

Late snack - raw veggies

If all goes well Total Calories - 1,350 ---- 56% Carbs, 27% protein and 18% fat -------- 93 Grams of Protein

Today is going okay, A little stressed about Moneyand could have go more sleep last night, but over all Life is Good!

Still need to workout. Getting ready to take a power walk, but not lifting weights till late tonight. Going to gym with hubby after he gets off work. Legs and Butt day again Oh Boy My favorite. No Really. I remember when I hated to do squats, but I love them now.

Foods wise, things are going good too. My total calorie intake will be around 1550 today with 80 grams of protein. Got to get these calories lower. Too bad I love to eat lol

WOOHOO Feeling Good. Just got back for a 30min HIIT on the stairmaster stepper, had a really awesome sweat. Going to lift in a couple hours. Bi's, Tri's and Shoulder day.

I am going to use my 25 pound dumbbells today. Not sure how many curls I can do, we will see. I have to be careful with my left delt, it is really giving me some trouble. So still just using my 5 pounds therapy dumbbells for that.

I am really going to try to get my calories under 1300 today. In order to do this I need to stay very busy.

Breakfast - Orange, two slices of sprouted grain bread and a little vegan butter

Midmorning - Green salad with calorie free dressing and a cup of Pinto beans

Lunch (post workout) Protein shake with lite soy milk and mixed berries

Midafternoon - Small baked potato and 1/2 cup of Pinto beans

Dinner - Steamed veggies and a soy yogurt with some protein powder

Snack - sunflower seeds

Changed mind, I will keep using this journel page too because maybe there will be something useful coming my way from here.

Saturday and all is well. Got a good workout today. Walked with sprints and walking lunges then did Squats, kick backs and worked on my calves.

Food well so far so good, not a free day today or anything, but will try to keep calories under 1500.

Yesterday went well with exercise and food. It was bi's, tri's and shoulder day. It is nice to be able to curl 25 pound dumbbells again. It just seemed like I would never get the strength back.

Today is Chest and back day. I may take pictures after my workout for the contest. Although I don't have a whole lot of chest muscle since I am I just now starting to work my chest. But I have a great chest regardless lol

Lets see food today, 1300 day, This is what I have planned

Wake up - orange and green tea

Breakfast - Whole wheat tortilla, chick peas, kale, and tomato

Mid Morning (post workout) Hemp protein powder, lite soy milk and half banana

Lunch - Boca burger on two slices of sprouted grain bread

Dinner - steamed mixed veggies with 1 serving of tofu

Evening - green salad

Thanks Dave

Yeah I would love to get to the point of not counting calories, but I am still tweaking a vegan diet. It was so much easier when I ate lean meats and veggies, with minumal fruits and grains. Now a whole new world, but I love it.

Have a great day!

TGIF Today I will work on entire upper body, I missed a weight lifting session Weds so making up for it, also yesterday did up hill hiking, climbing between and over rocks. It was awesome and had the pleasure of Seeing a Gila Monster in all her glory. Hiked closed to 5 hours, excellent workout.

Yesterday I didn't eat enough for the amount of calories burned but that is fine with me. Today still going to keep things in control shooting for about 1500 cals today.

Wake up Breakfast - Banana, apple and small baked potato with a little vegan butter

Mid morning - Sprouted grain english muffin, 1/4 block of tofu, 1/2 cup raw kale and a little veganiase.

Lunch (Post Workout) - 1 serving of Hemp Protein powder, 1 scoop of Soy proten powder, with 1 cup of lite soy milk

Mid afternoon - 1 Cup of Spilt peas

Dinner - Green salad and 1 cup northern beans

LOVE to see when someone's got it right, and you get it!

I dont think you need to count calories with your plan, and I'd hate excessive calorie counting be your downfall as it is with many women.

Best of Luck!!!!

Yes, she does need to count calories BodhiDave... and watch her carb intake if she wants to keep the fat off.

No offense, but sometimes guys do not understand that women need to not only count their calories but watch their carb intake like a hawk. Especially over 35. Everything slows down and it take alot more work to keep the fat off for 98% of women. There are the 2% that don't need to watch it and have naturally fast metabolisms, but the rest of us can do cardio until we die... if we're not watching the calories and macronutrients of carbs/fat/protein our bodies will remain the same.

Keep up the great work Beth!

No offense, but sometimes guys do not understand that women need to not only count their calories but watch their carb intake like a hawk.

I disagree ( hey its VBB! ) about the need to count carbs if calories are accounted for. It isn't a woman only thing either. I exercised like a bear ( hey you can count carbs like a hawk ) for years and could not get my weight to go down until I started counting calories.

I still post on a diet site that is mostly men. Most of the people there were obese and morbidly obese most of their lives then lost lost massive amounts of weight by calorie counting. There is a "100 pound" club there and we just had two members create the "200 pound" club.

All men, all calorie counters.

You ever notice how people will risk approaching total strangers to ask them for part of their newspaper, even though a paper only costs 35 cents?

There is a weird mentality like that with calorie counting. It only takes about 5 min a day and can be more effective for weight control then extra workouts. 5 min a day. Yet people react to it like it means a trip to the proctologist.

No offense, but sometimes guys do not understand that women need to not only count their calories but watch their carb intake like a hawk.

I disagree ( hey its VBB! ) about the need to count carbs if calories are accounted for. It isn't a woman only thing either. I exercised like a bear ( hey you can count carbs like a hawk ) for years and could not get my weight to go down until I started counting calories.

Thanks for the post veggieprincess and beforewisdom. Actually I agree with you both. Although I honestly believe that I need to watch my fat intake as much as my starchy carb intake. I am big on calorie counting and don't see it as a downside at all, I would love to be free from it, but chances are I will have to continue to keep things in check forever.

Yes age does play a big part in keeping our BF down, but I am happy to say I am at my lightest weight as an adult. Over the last few years I have lost more than 50 pounds of bodyfat. it came off in chunks and pretty slow but I am happy I did it the way I did. No crazy diets or excessive exercising, although some people think I exercise excessive anyway.

I have been working out seriously for 26 years, but until I took full control of my food I never was at a normal weight. It wasn't just counting calories, it was changing the foods I ate. Getting rid of processed foods was a major key, but also finding a the right ratio of Carbs, Protein and Fat was essential. Not because I don't believe that a calorie is a calorie, but calories are not created equal, for instance some burn a lot faster while some keep us satified longer. By having a perfect balance, helps keep me in my calorie range.

I really appreaciate the posts though, you guys are great

Saturday Early morning, getting ready for a short Camping trip. Will be hiking today for my cardio, just a two hour hike today. Desided what to take for food. Will take fruit and nuts for sure, maybe some fake lunch meat. Pretty much today is a Free Day so there will be some Margarita's too

I posted a photo for the chest contest, photo is pretty good, I sure hope other women join in the contest, but if not well at least I had the courage to do it.

So far so good. I will be leaving for Illinois next Weds for two weeks, but plan on going to the gym a couple times a week and doing a lot of walking and hiking. But I would like to get a couple more pounds off before leaving.

Game Plan

Stay at the lower end of my calorie range which would be around 1250 calories. Continue to workout as always.

I already had a 90 min power walk today. Got that done early since it could be as high as 102 degree today. I will be weight lifting before noon, working on my back and chest today. Still using light dumbbells for these two areas, just 15 pounders, but better than nothing. I wonder if it will ever be safe for me to bench over 100 pounds again. I guess it really doesn't matter that much.