Jeremy's Blog

Guest veganpotter

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone

Ping...Organic Athlete is a national organization(we have international members but no chapters overseas yet outside of Canada which isn't overseas) for vegan athletes. Not everyone in the organization is vegan since we're trying to be open to everyone. Everybody on our pro cycling squad is vegan but since we're non profit and want grant money and things we've gotta keep open to others.

congratulations Potter !

I'm probably gonna join a cyclist club in my region, cycling with semi-pros, representing Organic Athlete.

Talking about OrganicAthlete, I just got my clothes a few days ago and I wore them today for the first time, with the "go vegan!" written on back. I like the green/orange colors!

I wonder why there's not more OA chapters everywhere. No official chapters in Quebec, maybe just one or two in Canada. I'm a member of Kino (a fillmmaker organization that started in Montreal 8 years ago, after only a few years it was worldwide, with chapters opening in all cities of the world.

I did 60km with lots of climbing and I was sooo tired, worst pain I ever felt in my legs in all the years I've been cycling ! Next days will be better.

What do you think about all the drug use by the cyclist champions? Do you know Geneviève Jenson, she was winning most races in Quebec and Canada, I think she was also in the top female cyclists, but she admitted she used EPO since the beginning she started as a cyclist!

A French tv program telling the story, at "retour sur enquête, 27th March, première partie"

http://www.radio-canada.ca/actualite/v2/enquete/?r=3#

I'm happy you like your kit and wore it already. You should join a local club...there are lots of perks if you plan on racing. As for there not being OA chapters everywhere maybe you can start one. Thing is...you need vegans interested in fitness. In some places its hard enough to find vegans...here I can barely find any vegans...and its almost harder to find people that are fit.

When you talk doping and cycling you can pretty much guarantee everyone near the top is doping. Jenson was doping as a kid and there isn't even much money in womens cycling...especially when she was younger. Now think of how early doping happens when money is on the line. There's a good amount of cash and glory out there for men...there always has been so you've gotta figure its at least 3x a bad. I don't like it but at the same time some of these guys were raised on dope...the never knew any better and are now in the habit of it.

I felt terribly on my ride today. I was fine when I woke up and figured I'd have a good ride but I was wrong about that. Anyhow I still managed to get my 100miles in. The hills felt extra steep today and I definitely put more effort in than I should have the day after a time trial. I still averaged 17.4mph but I really should have been under 17. I may force myself to take the day off tomorrow...we'll see. My race is on Saturday instead of Sunday so I've gotta taper a bit differently this week.

I took the day off the bike today. I did my standard 1000+ ab reps but no biking. My legs are shot...I've gotta lead the fast group tomorrow and hopefully I feel better for it. If not I'll need to take it really easy on Thursday and Friday. Hopefully things get cleared up. Sometimes I feel much better after a day off and a hard day but we'll see. It looks like the weather may be crap on Thurs/Friday so that may actually be good for my race on Saturday.

I know my post is a little behind, but congrats on your win! That is awesome and I loved the detailed recap of your event. With all that seemed to be going wrong at the beginning it is awesome that you were able to overcome that and still win your group (final results will also be interesting). I know you would never give up and it probably pushed you a little more but I've heard there is a lot to be said about being in your "game" rythym/focus (mental, physical) and its cool that you were able to overcome and not let that affect your final outcome.

This may have already been discussed in the past but do you ever ride with helmet cams? That would be fun to see.

Congrats again.

Thanks For some reason things always go wrong during my favorite race. As for my final result I had the 4th best time overall. I beat a few pros and a bunch of other really strong riders so I'm happy where I'm at. As for a helmet cam it wouldn't be legal in a road race(I think its only legal for mountain bikers)...plus even a small helmet cam would make me lose at least 8-10 seconds in time...I only lost my last race by 3 seconds. I'll probably use a helmet cam for the first time I go mountain biking though. I'm not sure when thats gonna be but I'm buying my boss' old bike and our head mechanic has a helmet cam so we'll have one on the ride...should be cool.

My legs are still toast. I did the group ride today and stayed in the front pretty much the whole time again...no big deal to do it but it was harder than it should've been. My legs need a massage big time...and a few days off. Too bad I've got a race Saturday...not that I'd actually take off. I'm thinking I'll take it easy tomorrow and try to just spin a bit Friday. Luckily the crap weather will help with that. Anyhow today I rode about 50miles...35 or so with the fast group ride...the rest as commuting miles.

Great job Potter!!!!! Quite a story. Glad your pedals finally clicked in. Any thoughts is it just bad luck? I guess there isn't much you could do about being forced into running on the gravel.

And your friend, what a story. I hope she gets the right gear if she decides to continue on racing. Sounds like she is a machine on the course.

GO VEGAN TEAM OA and GO POTTER

You think you would have been in a better position than 4th overall if you didn't have complications a the start? How far ahead were the others?

As for the helmet cams, that would be cool. My friend told me there is a 'Tony Hawk' helmet cam they sell for like $25 at local stores like target and walmart and such. Ever heard of it? Worth buying? I would love to be flying down a road screaming yeah buuuuuuudy on a bicycle and filming the road.

Or perhaps showing all just how psychotic the streets of nyc can be and showing all the crazy mergers and others on the road as I try to pedal down the streets....

I bet I could have finished 3rd overall...the person in second was a bit too far ahead of me and the guy in first could very easily be racing time trials in the Tour De France...he decimated everyone.

When it comes to a helmet cam I wouldn't buy anything so high tech under $150...I bet the picture stinks or it just won't work for long.

I took another rare day off yesterday...I'm really cooked and need it for my race Saturday. Today I'm gonna take it easy and just ride the rollers for an hour and do some abs.

I'm workin on it....we'll see what happens tomorrow. I'm thinking I'm gonna beat my body to death just to finish with the main pack. This race has 11 turns and the laps are only 0.7 miles long...that means lots high speed/short accelerations from slow speeds...not my cup of tea but I'm really doing this to work on my bike handling and get more pack riding experience. I'm not planning on winning or anything...this is a course for a small/light sprinter.

What a crappy day on the bike Today I drove 2 hours to race in western Maryland. I warmed up...started...I was all the way in the back of the field for most of the first lap(quite normal for me). I worked my way up and at the crazy double 90 degree switchback after the start line after my first lap my front brake locked on me. I stopped to fix it and to see if I could get a free lap and they said no...so I drove about 100miles for 1 mile of

racing...yippeeee

I had a fun group ride today. Lots of little spurts of power to show who's king...it was a blast. 4 of us met before work and we rode about 40 hard miles before work...some really steep climbs that I did surprisingly well on too. I'm definitely gonna go back. There's a steep 18% grade climb that I ride near all the time and have never actually seen but now that I know its there I'm definitely going back.

What a crappy day on the bike Today I drove 2 hours to race in western Maryland. I warmed up...started...I was all the way in the back of the field for most of the first lap(quite normal for me). I worked my way up and at the crazy double 90 degree switchback after the start line after my first lap my front brake locked on me. I stopped to fix it and to see if I could get a free lap and they said no...so I drove about 100miles for 1 mile of

racing...yippeeee

That sucks!

racing...yippeeee

That sucks!

Yeah that sucks

I got some OK training in today. I rode on my rollers for 30 minutes...jump roped for 30 minutes and did a couple set of lunges...nothing too crazy. Hopefully I can get a decent ride in tomorrow after work.

I feel like major doodie but in a good way. I had a great ride today(perfect weather too...other than the pollen). Lots of intense spinning and some hard non spin efforts. No 100% effort but lots of 90% efforts. I was out there for nearly 4:30 and put in 80 miles. Hopefully I've still got some gas in the tank for the group ride tomorrow but if I don't its not a big deal.

***I made a big sale today too so thats always good. Business has been pretty slow considering how many nice days we've had but today I made a $5000 sale before 12pm...big sales almost never happen in the morning so I can't be more pleased.