Changing major - nutrition vs. exercise science

veggymeggy

So I've been really debating this lately. Right now my major is Nutrition, dietetics option, and my minor is in Exercise Physiology.

I'm starting to wonder if as a vegan nutrition isn't a good path for me to go down. I could never advise someone to consume meat/animal as part of their diet, and yet I won't be ablet to get through school without at least pretending that those things are ok so as to pass my classes. Then once I'm out, the only way I could support veganism through dietetics is through private practice, which just isn't realistic coming straight out of college. I'll need several years of clinical experience, and to get through grad school. Basically, many years down the road I might be able to counsel in favor of veganism, but for a long time between now and then I'd have to play along with more 'mainstream' dietary advice.

Also - dietetics turns out to be a lot more chemistry than I find enjoyable or interesting.

On the other hand, exercise science is currently my minor, and I LOVE it. I love anatamoy, I love kinesiology, and I find those classes to be the ones I'm really drawn towards.

Back when I first chose my major, it was a toss up for me between pursuing physical therapy or dietetics, and I'm wondering if I should have gone the other way. I'm still not sure phys therapy is where I want to go, but getting my exercise science degree would set me up beautifully to roll right into personal training, which my old trainer always pushed me towards because she thought I'd be really good at it, or even getting into PE school work, like in high school or something - I could definitely see myself going that way. My family has always said I should be a teacher.

I don't know, moral of the story is right now I'm confused and frustrated with school, and feeling like I really need to make a decision about this ASAP to save myself from being here any longer than I have to. Right now I could switch without too much extra time in school, but if I wait even another term..... someday I just want to graduate!!!!!

Please advise........

IMHO I would go with your gut on this one. Sounds like you are already on your way to making a decision. Getting a degree and being un-employed wouldn't be much fun. So, the fact that you see a future in exercise sounds like a good path to choose. Ultimately, it needs to be your decision since you have to live with it. Good Luck!

You should probably choose the excercise thing. If that is more enjoyable, it will make you happier, and it will be more easy. The only thing is that you have to ask yourself if you still like the excercise thing when you are older, of if it is just a temporary thing(which I have a lot).

I know my love of exercise science isn't temporary because I've always been interested in it - I was always an athlete so knowing stuff about the body and exercise was always important. Like I said, my original decision was between physical therapy and being a dietician.....I'm just hesitating to undertake another major change like this, but I know if I'm going to do it NOW is the time, I can't wait any longer....

IMHO I would go with your gut on this one. Sounds like you are already on your way to making a decision.

I thought the same thing!

I know your dilemma, and let me tell you, it will go on I'm having difficulties to decide what i want to do ever since i finished school, and K-oz is going through the same right now.

Do what you feel is right, but don't rush decisions.

One thing i wanted to mention: i don't think that choosing the nutrition path would mean you'd have to advise animal products once you're finished. You'd "only" have to get through the exams pretending.

One thing i wanted to mention: i don't think that choosing the nutrition path would mean you'd have to advise animal products once you're finished. You'd "only" have to get through the exams pretending.

My concern is that I'd be working within an organization, probably a clinic or hospital, and that my superiors would expect me to advise clients/patients based on their standard nutrition guidelines. If someone came to me requesting veg counseling that's one thing but if I recommend it myself - I'm afraid that might not go over well - I could be wrong. I've always thought that as someone in the nutrition field I would have a chance to promote veganism as an 'expert' - and that appeals to me.

I'm flummoxed.

I can always come back to the nutrition part once I'm established in a career though. I consider education to be a lifelong process, so I think maybe I could pursue exercise science now, because I know I can get through school no problem and I do love it, and if I still want to do nutrition I can go straight into grad school for it....you don't need a BS nutrion to get your MS.

Plus, as a personal trainer, I still get to make dietary advice.....

And, as a PE teacher, personal trainer, or physical therapist, I'm still helping make people healthier, and that's my ultimate goal, the whole reason I know health sciences is the path for me....

IMHO I would go with your gut on this one.

Good advice! Since you love anatamoy & kinesiology, & obviously exercise & fitness are priorities in your personal life, exercise physiology sounds like a good fit.

That said, I would love to have more professionals, who even if they aren't vegan, are at least open to & educated about a vegan diet!