Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:18 am 
Rabbit

Changed mind, I will keep using this journel page too because maybe there will be something useful coming my way from here.

Saturday and all is well. Got a good workout today. Walked with sprints and walking lunges then did Squats, kick backs and worked on my calves.

Food well so far so good, not a free day today or anything, but will try to keep calories under 1500.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:06 am 
Rabbit

Yesterday went well with exercise and food. It was bi's, tri's and shoulder day. It is nice to be able to curl 25 pound dumbbells again. It just seemed like I would never get the strength back.

Today is Chest and back day. I may take pictures after my workout for the contest. Although I don't have a whole lot of chest muscle since I am I just now starting to work my chest. But I have a great chest regardless lol

Lets see food today, 1300 day, This is what I have planned

Wake up - orange and green tea

Breakfast - Whole wheat tortilla, chick peas, kale, and tomato

Mid Morning (post workout) Hemp protein powder, lite soy milk and half banana

Lunch - Boca burger on two slices of sprouted grain bread

Dinner - steamed mixed veggies with 1 serving of tofu

Evening - green salad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:44 pm 
Manatee

LOVE to see when someone's got it right, and you get it! 8)
I dont think you need to count calories with your plan, and I'd hate excessive calorie counting be your downfall as it is with many women.
Best of Luck!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:11 pm 
Rabbit

Thanks Dave :)

Yeah I would love to get to the point of not counting calories, but I am still tweaking a vegan diet. It was so much easier when I ate lean meats and veggies, with minumal fruits and grains. Now a whole new world, but I love it.

Have a great day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:43 am 
Rabbit

TGIF :) Today I will work on entire upper body, I missed a weight lifting session Weds so making up for it, also yesterday did up hill hiking, climbing between and over rocks. It was awesome and had the pleasure of Seeing a Gila Monster in all her glory. Hiked closed to 5 hours, excellent workout.

Yesterday I didn't eat enough for the amount of calories burned but that is fine with me. Today still going to keep things in control shooting for about 1500 cals today.

Wake up Breakfast - Banana, apple and small baked potato with a little vegan butter

Mid morning - Sprouted grain english muffin, 1/4 block of tofu, 1/2 cup raw kale and a little veganiase.

Lunch (Post Workout) - 1 serving of Hemp Protein powder, 1 scoop of Soy proten powder, with 1 cup of lite soy milk

Mid afternoon - 1 Cup of Spilt peas

Dinner - Green salad and 1 cup northern beans

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:02 pm 
Elephant

BodhiDave85 wrote:
LOVE to see when someone's got it right, and you get it! 8)
I dont think you need to count calories with your plan, and I'd hate excessive calorie counting be your downfall as it is with many women.
Best of Luck!!!!

Yes, she does need to count calories BodhiDave... and watch her carb intake if she wants to keep the fat off.

No offense, but sometimes guys do not understand that women need to not only count their calories but watch their carb intake like a hawk. Especially over 35. Everything slows down and it take alot more work to keep the fat off for 98% of women. There are the 2% that don't need to watch it and have naturally fast metabolisms, but the rest of us can do cardio until we die... if we're not watching the calories and macronutrients of carbs/fat/protein our bodies will remain the same. :wink:

Keep up the great work Beth!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:24 pm 
Stegosaurus

veggieprincess wrote:
No offense, but sometimes guys do not understand that women need to not only count their calories but watch their carb intake like a hawk.

I disagree ( hey its VBB! ) about the need to count carbs if calories are accounted for. It isn't a woman only thing either. I exercised like a bear ( hey you can count carbs like a hawk ) for years and could not get my weight to go down until I started counting calories.

I still post on a diet site that is mostly men. Most of the people there were obese and morbidly obese most of their lives then lost lost massive amounts of weight by calorie counting. There is a "100 pound" club there and we just had two members create the "200 pound" club.

All men, all calorie counters.

You ever notice how people will risk approaching total strangers to ask them for part of their newspaper, even though a paper only costs 35 cents?

There is a weird mentality like that with calorie counting. It only takes about 5 min a day and can be more effective for weight control then extra workouts. 5 min a day. Yet people react to it like it means a trip to the proctologist.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:47 pm 
Rabbit

beforewisdom wrote:
veggieprincess wrote:
No offense, but sometimes guys do not understand that women need to not only count their calories but watch their carb intake like a hawk.

I disagree ( hey its VBB! ) about the need to count carbs if calories are accounted for. It isn't a woman only thing either. I exercised like a bear ( hey you can count carbs like a hawk ) for years and could not get my weight to go down until I started counting calories.

Thanks for the post veggieprincess and beforewisdom. Actually I agree with you both. Although I honestly believe that I need to watch my fat intake as much as my starchy carb intake. I am big on calorie counting and don't see it as a downside at all, I would love to be free from it, but chances are I will have to continue to keep things in check forever.

Yes age does play a big part in keeping our BF down, but I am happy to say I am at my lightest weight as an adult. Over the last few years I have lost more than 50 pounds of bodyfat. it came off in chunks and pretty slow but I am happy I did it the way I did. No crazy diets or excessive exercising, although some people think I exercise excessive anyway.

I have been working out seriously for 26 years, but until I took full control of my food I never was at a normal weight. It wasn't just counting calories, it was changing the foods I ate. Getting rid of processed foods was a major key, but also finding a the right ratio of Carbs, Protein and Fat was essential. Not because I don't believe that a calorie is a calorie, but calories are not created equal, for instance some burn a lot faster while some keep us satified longer. By having a perfect balance, helps keep me in my calorie range.

I really appreaciate the posts though, you guys are great :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:10 am 
Rabbit

Saturday Early morning, getting ready for a short Camping trip. Will be hiking today for my cardio, just a two hour hike today. Desided what to take for food. Will take fruit and nuts for sure, maybe some fake lunch meat. Pretty much today is a Free Day so there will be some Margarita's too :)

I posted a photo for the chest contest, photo is pretty good, I sure hope other women join in the contest, but if not well at least I had the courage to do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:40 am 
Rabbit

So far so good. I will be leaving for Illinois next Weds for two weeks, but plan on going to the gym a couple times a week and doing a lot of walking and hiking. But I would like to get a couple more pounds off before leaving.

Game Plan

Stay at the lower end of my calorie range which would be around 1250 calories. Continue to workout as always.

I already had a 90 min power walk today. Got that done early since it could be as high as 102 degree today. I will be weight lifting before noon, working on my back and chest today. Still using light dumbbells for these two areas, just 15 pounders, but better than nothing. I wonder if it will ever be safe for me to bench over 100 pounds again. I guess it really doesn't matter that much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:58 pm 
Elephant

Beth,

On your workout days, you need a little more than 1250. You can get away with that little on a non-cardio days, but it is really on the low side if you're going to do a serious workout. Because your risking your body storing fat if your consumption is way under your activity level.

My suggestion is 1400, but don't use starchy carbs to make up the difference. Fibrous carbs, protein or even a little increased healthy fat. :) My two cents

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:27 pm 
Rabbit

veggieprincess wrote:
Beth,

On your workout days, you need a little more than 1250. You can get away with that little on a non-cardio days, but it is really on the low side if you're going to do a serious workout. Because your risking your body storing fat if your consumption is way under your activity level.

My suggestion is 1400, but don't use starchy carbs to make up the difference. Fibrous carbs, protein or even a little increased healthy fat. :) My two cents

Hi Melissa, thanks for your advise. I have enough complex carbs in my diet that is forsure :) I can easily add some more veggies, a little more protein and some sunflower seeds. Not a problem getting more calories is it lol

Have a great day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:50 am 
Rabbit

Happy Hump Day. I am in a pretty good mood, I was very excited for Hillary last night when she took Kentucky, her speech was excellent as always. It would be wonderful if she pulled this off. I wonder how much money she received last night. Obama has a lot of weathly supporters which really is hurting Hillary as far as the Super Delegates go. She speaks for the poor, the under educated, the blue collar workers and of coures women and children. Who don't have any money unfortuantly to really support her :( But I have a good feeling she will be back in 2012.

Okay back to my traning and food log, but he things going on in our lives has a huge effect on our progress. This reminds me I need to meditate a couple times this week still. Slacking there.

Today is Leg and Butt day WOOHOO my favorite. I am getting ready to take a power walk with some sprints and around 100 walking lunges. Then when I get home I will do squats, calf raises, and glute kickbacks. Maybe some more lunges depending on fatigue. Then before dark I will take an hour power walk.

Food today, Cutting back on whole grains to just 2 servings instead of my usual 4 to 6. This will take a little gettign used to the next few days, but I am determined to get a little belly fat off. I plan on eating around 1400 calories.

Preworkout meal - 1 Serving of oatmeal, 1/2 cup of black beans

Post workout - 1 cup lite soy milk, 1 serving of hemp protein powder, 1/2 cup berries, 1/2 banana, and 1/2 serving of soy protein

Lunch - 1 cup black beans, 1/2 cup brown rice, 1 cup steamed spinach

Midafternoon - 1 serving of sunflower seeds

Dinner - 1/4 block of lite tofu with steamed veggies

Evening Snack - Depends on total calories already used, getting ready to figure that out now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:47 pm 
Elephant

Diet looks really good! Much better than the coffee and o.j. as Meal 1 I saw the other day :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: Calories seemed way more balanced. Great effort your putting into meal planning!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:33 am 
Rabbit

veggieprincess wrote:
Diet looks really good! Much better than the coffee and o.j. as Meal 1 I saw the other day :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: Calories seemed way more balanced. Great effort your putting into meal planning!!!

Thanks Melissa, I have been a very healthy eater for several years now, but the scale hasn't moved much in a year. Especially since I became a vegetarian. I should probably reduce my starchy carbs and replace some of that with fat and protein, but I want to keep my power outage high. I mean what is the point of being an athlete if we are exhausted all the time.

Tweek Tweek Tweek the plans lol