Drug use.

Nope, I'm drug-free and have been for my 25 years of being alive. I plan on staying drug-free and hope to find a drug-free mate

Some of my friends do some drugs, drink alcohol, or smoke, but most of my family stays away from it and a small percentage of my friends are totally drug-free too.

-Rob

Meggy, those are drugs, too

Me, sXe. Life time drug free

Too true, too true. But I was referring to the sorts of drugs that are illegal. None of those. Ever.

I went through a phase at around 13 when I thought smoking weed would be cool....but I could never bring myself to do it because I didn't want to do anything that could damage my lung capacity, and therefore damage my sports abilities. Grew out of that phase, and never have tried it or anything else, not even cigarettes.

But, also when I was still playing ball, I would take 6-8 ibuprofen at a time to deal with my knee....that was bad news. Doctor started making me do blood tests to make sure I my liver was still functioning fully and whatnot.

Now I just deal with it and only take OTC's when absolutely necessary.

I am kind of sxe, too. Only exception: Cacao once in a while and about 5 times alcohol in the last 12 years.

Drugs make you weak. I like being in control of myself.

Only if you abuse it, and most of it applies to the Western sense of drugs. Theres a whole other world where drugs has their uses.

Only if you abuse it

In the non-medical sense... taking drugs is always abuse, isn`t it?

, and most of it applies to the Western sense of drugs.

What do you mean by that?

Theres a whole other world where drugs has their uses.

Drugs have uses in many "worlds" (medical, spiritual etc.). And of course the only diference between medicine and drugs is the dose. But I think topic is about using drugs in an abusive sense (just for fun).

Only if you abuse it

In the non-medical sense... taking drugs is always abuse, isn`t it?

, and most of it applies to the Western sense of drugs.

What do you mean by that?

Theres a whole other world where drugs has their uses.

Drugs have uses in many "worlds" (medical, spiritual etc.). And of course the only diference between medicine and drugs is the dose. But I think topic is about using drugs in an abusive sense (just for fun).

What I mean that for us Westerners, we automatically shun the idea of using drugs because of what we see around us, abuse. No one actually uses them for the purposes that they were intended to be used for.

For example, there are some tribes that take drugs in order to experience past transgressions and develop themselves as a person.

I just think that the idea of just shunning drugs just because in our world it is abused it not necessarily far or open minded at all. Not saying you in general, and you probably werent even commentting on those, but I just thought I would mention it.

Besides the facts you and I mentioned before about spiritual use of drugs which took and takes place in many civilisation (also ours) it is still absolutely okay to shun drugs just because of personal experience in our civilisation. Although in other civilisations drugs are used in another context it is still okay to say no to drugs categorically because only the context differs, the substances and effects stay the same.

Besides the facts you and I mentioned before about spiritual use of drugs which took and takes place in many civilisation (also ours) it is still absolutely okay to shun drugs just because of personal experience in our civilisation. Although in other civilisations drugs are used in another context it is still okay to say no to drugs categorically because only the context differs, the substances and effects stay the same.

I agree

Sadly, in todays society, all it is is about getting that high and running away from your problems. Kinda odd that it is the exact opposite of what it's intent used to be.

i used cannabis for about 6 weeks when i was 18. it was pretty funny whilst i did it, but not very productive - in the end it made me feel very unfit and poor. so i stopped. i wouldnt ever do it again - i really do not like being intoxicated (july 2003 was the last time, and that was alcohol). going to nepal was a good test of my will power as the cannabis was growing wild and i ignored it

jonathan

I don't do any illegal drugs now. There were about 4 years of my life (ages 16-20) when I smoked pot on occasion, first with H.S. friends (we lived right near Woodstock!) and then with a friend in college. I managed to never have to buy or pay for it! Even though it was over 4 years, I don't think I smoked it a huge number of times.

The last time was 13 years ago, though. Since then I haven't done any illegal drugs.

i'm interested in your opinions.

I don't take drugs, I used to drink a little when I was about 14 or something, but haven't done alcohol since then, so been sober for about seven years almost - my reasoning is that personally I like to be in control of what I'm doing, and be responsible and answerable for anything I've done.

However, I think that in general, what people do to themselves which doesn't affect other people should be up to them. The trouble-makers are the ones who you'll hear about and run into. A guy sat in his room smoking weed, he isn't causing anyone a problem apart from himself, and I don't have much of a problem with that. The only problem I have with heavy drug use is that it is highly likely that it will hospitalize you in the future, in which case it's lame that you'd be taking up a bed in a hospital which could have instead been used to help someone who was just unfortunate in an accident etc, rather than poisoning themselves for fun.

Having said that, there are lots of drugs which, if they're taken in 'moderation' (yeah I'm not sure what that is either), then they generally won't totally ruin your health. I know a dude who smokes weed now and then, smokes tobacco and he drinks alcohol. It is irritating for me to be around him when he does those things, but he generally keeps away from me because he knows how I feel about it. So for a high percentage of drug users, I don't really have a problem with them doing it, so long as they're not around me, puking, falling over, and saying they love me just before hitting me with a pool cue.

Other aspects of why drugs suck is because of the types of people involved, and perhaps where the drugs come from, which could be moral dilemmas. If you buy weed from someone who grows it in their shed, okay I don't see a problem with that. But dealing with thugs and lowlives and debt-collectors, that's just not the way to go, and those people shouldn't make money in my opinion.

Other aspects of why drugs suck is because of the types of people involved, and perhaps where the drugs come from, which could be moral dilemmas. If you buy weed from someone who grows it in their shed, okay I don't see a problem with that. But dealing with thugs and lowlives and debt-collectors, that's just not the way to go, and those people shouldn't make money in my opinion.

Yeah, that is one important issue. If you aren't growing your own drugs or getting directly from growers, that's a big problem. The drug industry is violent, and by buying drugs, you are supporting that violence.

My friend had a girlfriend who was rather conservative and was very hostile to certain types of people, "criminals" being among them. Yet she did drugs. Not heavily, but she dabbled in a variety of them. I found it highly hypocritical that she would be so mean-spirited (a 'lock them up forever, or why not just kill them' mentality) towards violent offenders when she was supporting them and their activities when she bought drugs. I don't think she made the connection whatsoever.

Funny, it's kind of like how people don't make the connection between walking into a McDonalds to buy a burger and the factory farms and the slaughter and all that. Like how people will say they could never kill an animal but have no problem requiring that other people do it for them.

Anyway, back to the drug issue--I don't think I thought about it much when I was younger and smoking pot. And, being right near Woodstock, most of the pot we got actually was grown in personal stashes. But that doesn't excuse it, either, because where did those people get their seeds to get started? It's all tied together. Anyway, now I am aware of these issues. I mean, people are murdered and tortured and have their lives ruined because of the drug trade. I couldn't support that.

And yes, one can argue that these acts of violence occur because drugs are illegal and that legalization could put and end to that. But the point is that they are illegal right now, so if one buys drugs now, that's what one is supporting.