Shoes for mountain biking & rock climbing, my vegan choi

Just got a mountain bike and wondered if there are any brands of shoes that are Vegan suitable for wearing on my bike.

I have read that some people use skateboard shoes for mountain biking, so any choices used in skateboarding that may do the job too ?

Also I was looking into doing some in door rock climbing and wondered if there are any recommendations for footwear.

Not into mountainbiking myself, but Im quite sure wearing skateboard shoes is suboptimal . Sidi has some vegan cycle shoes, not sure which models but Im sure one of the cyclist will come along and tell you about that.

As for rockclimbing I have no idea.

What kind of mountain biking are you doing? What type of pedals do you have?

If you're using flat pedals, skate shoes are perfect - the pins on the pedals should stick nicely into the soft soles. There are also BMX shoes (pretty much the same as skate shoes). There may be an Etnies Taj Mihelich model (he's a vegan bmx'er). Etnies and many other skate shoe co's make some vegan shoes because there are a number of vegan pro skaters. Also, Macbeth makes some really sweet vegan shoes - worth a look.

If you're riding clipless pedals, I'm no help - ridden flats my whole life.

I have vegan climbing shoes from evolv. I have the electra (women's) and I believe the defy is the men's version. I am pretty certain that they have quite a few more vegan-friendly models. www.evolvsports.com

The Defy is the most common one you'll find in local shops. They're made well and affordable but they *do not* fit wide feet very well. (I have wide feet ) Evolv also makes some wider varieties but I haven't found them locally to try on. FiveTen makes some synthetic climbing shoes, and do other brands like Montrail.

MooseJaw.com has a vegan footwear section with a lot of different climbing shoes. I've never bought from them, I just remember their large selection.

Trev

What kind of mountain biking are you doing? What type of pedals do you have?

OK, I’m a total newb on all this. This is my first bike, since I sold my BMX in 1982. So I am really lost with the advances in cycling. And it took me all of a few minutes to realise I have a lot to learn to catch up with the times.

The pedals I am using I think are these

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360006642&N=Wellgo%20LU%20987U%20Flattie%20Pedals

Just bog standard ones that came on the bike. The bike is a hard tail bike with front suspension.

So I take any flat shoes from the skate board and bmx world would do (the vegan versions that is). Now do such shoes as the Etnies and Macbeth have it clearly marked that they are Vegan suitable? I buy New-balance trainers (sneakers), they do animal friendly shoes, but they don’t put their “bunnyâ€