GIVE ME INSPIRATION!

JoshD

LoL hey guys, long time no talk. Since I last was on here a couple months back, my gym routine has just gone to shit, I'm getting skinnier and skinnier(losing muscle size) and yeah, no matter how hard I train I can only seem to maintain what I have. I'm eating lots doing pretty much everything I can. I've been working out for about 3 years now and never had a problem like this before untill I went vegan. Im not gonna change being vegan though as I've never felt healthier, but holy crap. I used to weigh 198lbs at like 8% body fat, I'm still 8% but I only weigh 172:( Help Meeeee. Gimme new routines for size , or diets for size, or Something my skinny chest is driving me nuts, i bench the same weight but its so much smaller than it was. BLah. help me out guys, l8rz

-Josh

Hi there, I went through the same thing, as a meat eater I was so used to being beefy but as soon as I went veggy I lost half of what I had then when I went fruitarian I lost all of what I had and then some:shock: for me my ego and pride were the hardest to get over as I really liked being a big strong fella! I later realized that I was getting smaller because I was no longer ingesting all the chemicals and growth hormones from the meat I was eating !!! I eventually came to terms with it all and knew that the change was better for my health and system and I became more at ease about waiting for my body to adjust! THINGS DO GET BETTER I'm now bigger than I was when I ate meat!!!! Hope that helped.

hey josh - sorry to hear that you have been having problems.

one idea, regarding your routine, is to completely change it. i assume (judging by your low bodyfat) that you bodybuild. this would usually involve higher reps and more sets.

try power building (not power lifting, but a slight emphasis on bulk building).

totally cut out the isolation exercises. totally cut out the machines (well except for maybe the calf raise machine).

base your routine around heavy compound exercises. this is what i have just started:

monday: touch and go benching, based on sets of two reps. heavy barbell curls for sets of two.

tuesday: clean and press, based on up to 10 sets of 3 push presses.

wednesday off

thursday: squats. 4-6sets of less than 4 reps. calf raises too.

friday: paused benching. reasonably high volume, starting with 5x5 and reducing the reps and sets whilst increasing the weight. chins also.

saturday off

sunday: deadlifts, and lots of them!

i dont know why you would be losing weight but giving something new a try will help.

you state that you are eating everything that you can, which is great. the way forward would be to include even more calories into your diet if you can. increasing your fat intake to 150g plus a day will really help ( i nearly always take over 150g a day).

smoothies are also a great way to get more calories in. try blending 2 ripe bananas with a can of coconut milk, a scoop of protein, and what ever else you put in (spirulina and flax oil in my case). there is over a 1000cal in that.

i hope that you sort this problem out; keep us posted

jonathan

Inspiration or tips?

Tips you've got a few. I'll say if you want to gain weight eat more calories than you expend. Then eat a few more. Not all protein, fats and carbs too. That's just basic stuff though.

Inspiration...

Nothing gets done without doing it.

I know I've posted this before but I like it. Here is some inspiration:

We are bodybuilders by Robert Cheeke

When bodybuilders travel we are often on the receiving end of many odd and strange looks from the public. Not just because we have larger than average physiques, chiseled with rock hard muscle, but because we have behaviors that are foreign to most people. Observers stare and watch as we pull out protein bars from our fanny packs on the airplane and consume not one, but perhaps two or three at a time. We carry around a suspicious powder with us, only to add water, shake it up, and use it as another protein supplement to stimulate more muscle growth and enhance our physiques.

We care not what others think because we find solace in the fact that there are thousands out there who understand our determination and struggle to maintain what we’ve worked so hard to achieve. It is through grueling hours of sweat, and punishing weight-training sessions, that the foundation of our muscular body is based upon. We take what we’ve been given and fuel ourselves with the highest quality foods produced by Mother Nature to enhance every aspect of our being. We are never satisfied with how our body looks, and we’re always searching for improvements and paying close attention to detail. We are not content with our work ethic, continuously thinking of ways to demand more from ourselves.

Moderation is not a word in our vocabulary, and we strive for as close to perfection as is possible to attain. We are not abnormal, but we stand out in a society of mediocrity and contentment with low levels of individual success. We are driven to succeed and overcome many barriers that keep the average person down and deterred from attempts to accomplish significant feats.

We are true, passionate athletes worried not by how our competition compares to us, but how we compare to our prior selves. We are forward thinking individuals paving the road for followers who have an innate instinct to better themselves and the intrinsic motivation to pursue the bodybuilding dream. We don’t just push heavy weights around; we push ourselves to our physical and mental limits. We raise the standard of excellence everywhere we go. We live to inspire others, creating dreams within them. We are warriors in the gym, chefs in the kitchen, and the masters of our own destiny, forming our own legacy.

We are bodybuilders.

Robert Cheeke

May 9, 2004

Here is another one for you Josh:

Although I've taken a 2-week break since my contest, this is a summary of how I've trained in the past, and after being around Topher, it is safe to say that he trains this same way. He is Super Intense!:

TRUE INTENSITY by Robert CHEEKE

Whenever I hear someone say, “My workout today was really intense,” In my head I’m thinking, “Yeah right.” We all have our own perception and ideas about measurement of intensity. What is intense for one person may be a walk in the park for another person. I can imagine that walking up a steep hill for 30 minutes would be quite intense for

someone who is overweight, and it would just be an ordinary stroll for

a trail runner.

I think the word “intensity” gets thrown around too loosely. Just like

the words, “great, excellent, and awesome,” which are all way over-

used. Right here and now I want to explain what “True Intensity” is.

Allow me to tell you a story. When the moment came that I decided to take bodybuilding seriously I had to start training seriously; and that is precisely what I did. In 2001 I was preparing for a bodybuilding competition and learned first hand what True Intensity was all about. Before leg workouts I would be nervous and have butterflies in my stomach. This is typical of sports competitions, games, and some practices, but not so common for a simple workout. The problem was, it wasn’t just a simple workout; it was a test of my own courage and strength. I was walking into the gym knowing in the back of my head, that I might not be walking out under my own power. I pushed insane amounts of weight for my size and bodyweight. If you were to look at me, you’d think my eyes were about to pop out of my head or you’d think to yourself, “is this guy crazy?” I would often weep from the pain of training with this kind of intensity and occasionally vomit during or after the leg workouts. Is this normal? Not for average people, but for elite bodybuilders it is very familiar

territory.

There is nothing like pushing your body beyond its normal physical

limitations. When your mind takes over and you convince yourself to

go harder than you ever thought possible, it is one of the best and

most powerful feelings you can ever experience. When you scream

through the pain and tears roll down your face, and upon completion of

the last rep all you can do is lie there motionless trying to regain

your breath and control of your body; you know you are training with

True Intensity.

When people tell me that they are training hard but are not achieving

their desired results I know they are not training with intensity, or

perhaps their diet is lacking. I believe people when they say they

train hard, anyone can do that. But when you step into the world of

intensity you will see results; you have to. If you aren’t than you

need to take your nutrition program seriously and make the dedication

to nutritional excellence just as intense as the workouts. In 2001

when I started this intense odyssey I achieved great results and was

pleased with what I was able to accomplish. In a short time I made

huge gains because I wasn’t satisfied until I was certain that I was

the hardest working person in the gym.

There are a few limitations with true intensity as there are with

anything. To take your training to the next level requires an

accurate evaluation of what your body can handle. On a few occasions

I had to learn the hard way. I have collapsed under the weight while

doing squats, I’ve been crushed by the hip-sled leg press more than

once, and I’ve hurt my shoulder and biceps from taking the intensity a

little too far. Recognize the difference between pain from the

quality of intensity and pain from muscle injury. This is very

important and should be taken seriously. It is all a waste if you

work really hard in the gym achieving results only to have it all go

away from a careless injury.

If True Intensity is controlled it can lead to the greatest workouts

of your life, respect from others in the gym afraid to give it their

all, and bodybuilding results you only dreamt about before discovering

this method of training. I don’t mean to suggest that you throw up

after each workout or have to be helped out of the gym to get home,

but push yourself harder and harder each time until you feel that you

are truly training with intensity.

True intensity does not only refer to training but encompasses your

entire lifestyle. When it comes to intense nutrition this includes

drinking a gallon of water a day, eating enough calories and protein

to compliment your workouts and put on muscle, and taking advantage of

supplements that may assist your bodybuilding progress. This also

means preparing meals so you don’t miss an opportunity to eat during

the day and carrying supplements with you. This also means that you

take care of yourself and get enough rest and sleep and stay away from

things like alcohol, smoking and things that will inhibit your

progress and not allow you to reach your full potential.

Train with intensity, passion, desire and purpose and I have no doubt

that you will see your physique transform the way you’ve always hoped

it would. Leave everything in the gym, go home, eat and be proud of

your efforts. Then go to sleep. You deserve a nice rest because you

know that tomorrow is going to be a big day and you might even have

butterflies in your stomach before your workout. Then you know you

are training with True Intensity.

By Robert Cheeke 2004

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/imgs/albums/ShipShape4/ship2.jpg

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/images/ship/ship4.jpg

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/imgs/albums/Rob-2004/ship2.jpg

Whenever I hear someone say, “My workout today was really intense,” In my head I’m thinking, “Yeah right.” We all have our own perception and ideas about measurement of intensity.

intense for me leave me throwing up in the toilets afterwards... but then again, i'm real like that.

• 4 weeks later...

Good news boys, thanks for all the help, started getting a lot more commited and working out 5 days a week, making steady gains, upped my strength a LOT. example, single arm dumbell curls on the precher bench have gone from 35lbs for a set of 8 reps.. to 50s!!! for a set of 8!!! . Woot ive just exploded,packed on about 9lbs. i guess i just needed to eat more and step my training up a notch. thanks again guys.

-josh

Awesome!

Thanks for the report Josh. I need to take my own advice. I've been away from the gym pretty much since my 2nd place contest finish back on October 29th! I've only been in a handful of times since then. Mainly due to other projects (movie, book, etc) but I need to get back in there and get after it!

I'm happy to hear you are back on track. I hope to be able to say the same thing soon.

Good work 9 Lbs More Muscle Man

Robat