Alison's Training Journal - Now with Progress Photos Yay!

Hey, time for me to start a journal. I am starting to see some good results and thought it would be great to document as I go.

I started off trying to do it on my own but wasn't seeing any results and I hate feeling like I'm working hard but not smart, so I signed up with Veggie Princess and I'm going like a boeing. I'm in my eighth week of working out with weights now. My upper body is quite weak and I was getting back into it after a bit of a long break. Excuses, excuses. I have to be careful of my shoulder as it gets very inflamed at times, an old injury, so I try not to lift weights heavier than that I can hold perfect form. Anyway so today I did:

Leg Curl 3x12/11/8 40 pounds

Single Arm Front Raise 3x12/12/10 8 pounds

Machine Side Shoulder Raise 3/x12/10/10 35 pounds

Rear Lateral Raises 3x12 5 pounds

Glute Kickbacks 3x12 50 pounds first set, 65 second set, 70 third set

Walking Lunges 3x24 (12 each leg)

Crunches on pilates ball 3x20/20/14

Cardio: 1 hour, half treadmill on incline, half elliptical.

I'm almost embarrassed at doing only 5 pounds on the rear lat raises, but I swear by number 12 I am hardly lifting half way! Also, my gym is annoying in that it goes from 5 to 8 pounds. there are no 6's or 7's. Same with the barbells, it goes from 20 pounds to 40! I mean how about a 25 or a 30? So sometimes I am stuck with the 20 because 40 is just too heavy, but the 20 is really light.

I am eating very strictly which feels wonderful. I operate very well within very strict, structured plans. I have a goal of July 31st, the goal is to lose weight and body fat and look great in a bikini as I am off to Thailand for a holiday and from there moving to Dubai. I definitely don't want to be arriving in a new place feeling under-confident as I have to land myself a fabulous job!

I'll try and post daily and pics will follow soon!

Edited by alison

Nice! good luck with your goals.

For the free weights at your gym, it sucks. Try suggesting them to buy some 25, 30 and 35lb barbells. As for the dumbells, if they don't wanna buy 6 and 7lb, it costs almost nothing so they should do it, to keep their clientele satisfied. If they're too stupid to do that, try working on the machines...

I hope we can see how your progression goes with some pictures soon.

So today I did:

Single Leg Press 3x12 at 50 pounds

Smith Machine Incline Bench Press 4x15/8/7/8 at 30/40/40/35 pounds

Tricep Rope Pulldown 3x12/10/8 - Not sure what weight I'm doing since there are no numbers on the weights, its number 3 down so maybe 30...

Leg Extension 3x15 at 50 pounds. I did these really slowly with a good pause at the top of each one, really felt the burn!

Tricep Dips 3x12

Standing Calf Raises 3x15 at 40/60/80 pounds

Pushups 3x6 - this is the first time in my life doing 'real' pushups and I nearly land on my face at the 6th one. Try to keep perfect form.

Cardio:

10 min Elliptical warmup prior to weight training

50 minutes elliptical/treadmill after weights

Diet is dead on target. All going well. I am taking some Pure Advantage Pea Protein, Mint Chocolate Chip and Vanilla flavor! Man oh man it is absolutely delicious!

Nice! good luck with your goals.

For the free weights at your gym, it sucks. Try suggesting them to buy some 25, 30 and 35lb barbells. As for the dumbells, if they don't wanna buy 6 and 7lb, it costs almost nothing so they should do it, to keep their clientele satisfied. If they're too stupid to do that, try working on the machines...

I hope we can see how your progression goes with some pictures soon.

Thank you! Its kind of weird in Taiwan, they don't seem to worry about keeping customers happy here. Its like "if you don't like it, why don't you go somewhere else?" and since there is only one gym in the entire area.... Its also why we can only go to specifically vegetarian restaurants here and haven't eaten pizza since we moved here. You can't ask for something without cheese, or can I have this but without the mayo etc, the attitude is, this is how it comes, if you don't like it then why did you come here? They just don't do menu changes!

Today is a rest day which makes me feel guilty, yet I know I need it. Its perfect coming in the middle of the week as I am just about worn out. Until this afternoon I planned to just do an extra cardio session this evening, but from about 4:30 onwards I thought it was a bad idea. I am just wiped out. Not to feel too sorry for myself but I am organising a huge across continent move as well as working full time in a highly active energetic teaching job and of course trying to whip my ass into shape at the same time.

Its hugely exciting though! I didn't know too much about Dubai but from what I've been reading it sounds fabulous, really the place to be! I have lined up a trial job as a journalist on a magazine when I get there. They are only prepared to offer me a trial as I haven't got any journalism experience, though I've got a degree in English and am a writer, but I write books, not articles, so they want to give me a trial first and then see about the offer.

Anyway I'm done for, going to get a really early night!

Congratulations on the job offer in Dubai, and good luck juggling everything you've got going on!

Thank you very much!

Today was good. even though I only got about 5 hours sleep I woke up before the alarm at 5:40 and felt fine. I did:

Upright Rows with 20 pound barbell 3x12

Shoulder Press Machine 3x12/12/10 at 40 pounds

Bent Arm Side Lat Raise 3x12 at 5 pounds

Smith Machine Lunges 3x15 each leg, 50/60/70 pounds

Ab Slings 3x10

Twist Crunches on Pilates Ball 3x20/20/16

Cardio:

5 min Elliptical warm up before weights

After Weights:

25 minutes Stairmaster

30 minutes treadmill

But good look for your goals!

Thank you!

Today I did:

Lat Pulldown Wide Grip 4x12/8/4/12 at 50/60/70/50 pounds

Barbell Bicep Curl 4x10/9/7/12 at 30/30/30/20

Seated Row 3x12/12/10 at 40 pounds

Preacher Bicep Curls 3x10 at 20/25/20

Smith Machine Squats 3x15 at 70 pounds

Close Grip Lat Pulldowns 3x12 at 50 pounds

Seated Calf Raise 3x15 at 50 pounds

Cardio:

20 minutes Elliptical

20 minutes Stairmaster

20 minutes Treadmill

I have seriously hurt my neck. Not sure if it was on the Smith Machine, or if it was doing the barbell biceps. I usually do 20 pounds with a straight bar, the next one up in the straight bar is 40 pounds. There is one of those curved bars at 30 pounds, so I decided to try that today. I find those very uncomfortable to hold, even though it is supposed to be easier or something. Also while 20 may be too light, 30 was definitely too heavy. On the last reps of each of the sets I was straining in a major way and form went out the window. I should know better! So I actually think that was where I pulled something. I can't move my neck to the left, if I need to look left I have to move my whole upper body! So I hope that is going to be okay tomorrow. Have to do a cardio workout tomorrow and then on Sunday I want to do some more and some yoga too.

So glad its weekend! Yay, yay, yay!

hey allison! this is the first time i've read your blog. i work with veggieprincess too! you're doing awesome! the first thing i read that cracked me up was about the rear delt raises being 5 pounds. 5 months later and i'm still hitting ten pounds tops. that exercise is friggen hard! don't be embarrassed about 5 lbs. you will get stronger!

awesome work!

Oh and I forgot to mention that I had to get up at 5:00 am this morning! Hectic! I have to get all the way across town to the gym and then all the way across town to work afterwards on a Friday. I never used to be a morning person, but since it is the only time I have to work out, I started doing the affirmation "I love getting up early!" and it seems to have worked! I could never do it before and now I'm doing it every day! Though thankfully the 5:00am start is only once a week. Otherwise its a much more civilized 5:45

hey allison! this is the first time i've read your blog. i work with veggieprincess too! you're doing awesome! the first thing i read that cracked me up was about the rear delt raises being 5 pounds. 5 months later and i'm still hitting ten pounds tops. that exercise is friggen hard! don't be embarrassed about 5 lbs. you will get stronger!

awesome work!

Oh thank you so much! I've been reading your blog too! That is so funny! Yes that exercise just kills doesn't it!

Well my body clock has completely reset, I woke up at 6:15 this morning and couldn't go back to sleep. And its Saturday! Sleep in day! So I gave up, got up and have just finished 40 minutes cardio on the treadmill. That'll be it for today. I just got a new diet plan, it looks fantastic and I'm excited to get started.

I'm going to the doctor later, not sure if they'll be open on a Saturday and can't phone of course as I don't speak Chinese. Hoping to get some blood tests done just to make sure things are all working as they should be...

Thanks VeggiePrincess, I will send those logs. Will only hear back from doctor on Thurs so will let you know.

I thankfully slept in a little this morning, got up at 8:00 and did a Cindy Crawford DVD. It kicked my butt! I've had it for years and years, its called "The Next Challenge" and its super athletic, lots of kicks and jumps, squats and lunges. All the weights are done at super fast pace and with light weights, I do the whole thing with 6 pound dumbbells. it was really fun to do for a change and it feels like a nice end to the week to finish off with a full body overall workout without heavy weight, yet that can still kick your ass. Since it is so fast paced its a great cardio workout too. Probably too much of a cardio workout for my goals right now as I'm supposed to be keeping my heart rate at a more moderate intensity, and this has sections where I'm panting, but that is just during the leg workout which is only about 20 minutes. The whole tape is an hour and the other 40 minutes is abs and upper body weights so that is then a nice cardio range. I ordered a heart rate monitor so I can keep track, the ones on the cardio machines at gym don't always work.

Well I took some progress pics this morning. was thinking of entering the legs competition but then I couldn't seem to take pics where my legs looked longer than 5 inches. I didn't want to ask my husband as we would still be sitting there working on the lighting two hours later. Anyway so these are just to show progress, well I can compare some later pics with these. So here goes:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r155/nickyandrews1/Nicky%20Progress%20Photos/DSC01670.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r155/nickyandrews1/Nicky%20Progress%20Photos/DSC01676.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r155/nickyandrews1/Nicky%20Progress%20Photos/DSC01669.jpg

Thank you Beforewisdom

Today I did:

Leg Curl 3x12 40/35/35 pounds. I had to go down in weight as I felt quite weak. I think its from the Cindy video kicking my butt yesterday.

Front Raise 3x12 at 8 pounds

Machine Side Shoulder Raise 3x12/10/10 at 35 pounds

Rear Lat Raise 3x12 at 5 pounds. Don't know when I'll ever progress on this one!

Single Leg Glute Kickbacks 3x12 at 50/65/90 pounds

Walking Lunges 3x12 each leg

Crunches 3x20/20/15

Cardio:

20 minutes Elliptical

20 minutes Stepper

20 minutes Treadmill

Thankfully my neck is feeling fine. I can feel it if I try and turn my neck around too far. But it isn't really sore, just a kind of warning. I was totally freaked out yesterday, my husband went for a massage. I'll have to post a photo. Unbelievable. The woman was using a bottle to rub his back. She was using oil with it and he said it didn't hurt, but holy sh*t. It is even worse today, but it doesn't hurt, its like she burst all the blood vessels on the surface of the skin, its just these marks, they're not grazes or anything, just these marks. They're much darker today. Check it out!

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r155/nickyandrews1/DSC01687.jpg

Hey alison! Looking good really! I'm pretty sure that you will reaching your goals probably sooner than you think. It's awesome that you got out vegan personal trainer

The back of your husband is really red!!! I've seen that kind of massage before in Asia. It was East Timor or Indonesia, a friend of my parents got it and I saw the pictures... The guy's red lines were thicker than your husband's, it feels weird though, thinking that a massage gets your skin like that.

Thank you Lena! Well the marks are fading quite fast! I heard from some other people as well that this is quite a typical massage in Asia! Strange!

Well today was rest day. I went yesterday though and put in a good workout, yet I wasn't feeling my usual energy. I actually put some of the weights down from the week before as I just didn't have the strength. I did:

Single Leg Leg Press 3x12 at 50 pounds

Smith Machine Incline Bench Press 3x15 at 30 pounds

Tricep Rope Pulldown 3x12/10/10 at 30 pounds

Leg Extension 3x15 at 50 pounds

Tricep Dips 3x12/10/10

Standing Calf Raise 3x15 at 40/60/40

Pushups 3x6

Cardio:

20 minutes Elliptical

20 minutes Stairmaster

20 minutes Treadmill

Isn't it so annoying when someone hogs a machine but they're actually wasting their time. This woman was on the leg extension machine lifting about 10 pounds for 5 reps a time then resting and stretching for a good 5 minutes inbetween but not letting anyone get on the machine. She knew I was waiting for it, I managed to do three sets of tricep dips, calf raises and pushups before she got off the thing. some people!

Yay Yay Its Friday! had the usual 5:15 start this morning to fit it all in. But wait I must still post yesterdays workout.

Thursday:

Upright Rows 3x12 at 20 pounds

Shoulder Press 3x12/12/8 at 40 pounds

Bent Arm Lat Raise 3x12 at 5 pounds

Smith Machine Lunges 3x15 each leg at 70 pounds

Ab Slings 3x10

Twist Crunches on Ball 3x20/20/14

Cardio:

35 minutes Elliptical

25 minutes Treadmill

Friday:

Lat Pulldown Wide Grip 3x12 at 50 pounds

Barbell Bicep 3x12 at 20 pounds

Seated Row 3x12/10/10 at 40 pounds

Preacher Curl 3x12 at 25 pounds

Smith Machine Squats 3x15 at 70 pounds

Lat Pulldown Close Grip 3x12 at 50 pounds

Seated Calf Raise 3x15 at 50 pounds

Cardio:

35 minutes Elliptical

25 minutes Treadmill

I got a report on my book yesterday. I sent off my second draft to a place called The Writers Workshop in London which gives you advice on your book. I got a very positive review that is absolutely invaluable, I couldn't have got this advice from anyone else. She said 'lets make a good book into a great book' which is wonderful and of course I want a great book, but it is going to take tons more work! I really didn't have any idea how much goes into a book. I just wrote it and thought I was done with it, well that was nearly 2 years ago! And there is still lots of work to do! Its great though!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've had a bad week. I got hit by such hectic fatigue on Monday, that after going to the gym, I actually couldn't make it to work. I took the rest of the week off, (gym, not work) and was literally dragging myself through the days. Thankfully its sorted itself out. So I'm back in there from tomorrow. Diet has gone way off this weekend. It was my one year wedding anniversary and we booked into a very swanky hotel. Also went out to dinner and of course breakfast this morning, and I even had a glass of champagne last night, in the enormous jacuzzi! My husband is completely teetotal so that stops me from overdoing it. Still, it was my first drink in over 3 months so I was definitely a little woopsy. And since I am a perfectionist in the worst way and today is already ruined food-wise, I might as well just consider the whole weekend a write off and start again tomorrow! So that's what I'll do! Banana smoothies and movies at home tonight! Yay! Bring on the carbs and lots of them! Okay not too many....