adaptive training

Hero

it seems ive fractured my ankle skating. its the same ankle that ive broken before, the one that always gives out for no reason doing whatever, that I always sprain.

anyway, I will be using a lot of machines now, instead of dumbells and I will be lifting for upper body only for 8 weeks, until my ankle has healed. it is not casted, and I do not want to bear any weight on it or injure it any further so all activities are on hold for right now except for upper body training.

I will be doing, everyday that I go to the gym:

pullups (widegrip, regular, and chin-ups)

dips

lat pulldowns

tricep pushdowns

shoulder press

chest press

pushups

ab crunches (maybe?)

that should about do it.

and im eating as much as my poorness can allow me.

I eat a bag of bagels a day w/peanutbutter, some spaghetti, variety of nuts, banana, and maybe some soymilk and some Vega protein powder.

Topher I sprained my ankle last year. They gave me a protective device to support it. It was essentialy a splint of plastic that fits the ankle comfortably and keeps it stable, do you have something like this? Also might I suggest some bone training after you get healed up. I'll have to find out if you can do it for the ankle but there are wrist strenghtening exercises so perhaps there are some for the ankle. You could make it stronger to protect it.

Hey Hero!

Injuries suck

You're right with training around it as well as you can.

I will be doing, everyday that I go to the gym:

pullups (widegrip, regular, and chin-ups)

dips

lat pulldowns

tricep pushdowns

shoulder press

chest press

pushups

ab crunches (maybe?)

Looks good. Why lat pulldowns? I think this exercise is only for people who can't do pull ups with their bodyweight.

You can do push ups but not bench press? I don't understand that. I thought your ankle is injured... why can't you bench press, how can you do push ups? One feet up?

I'd definitely include exercises for the core muscles, or else you'll be weak in the main moves like squats and deadlift after you ankle is healed. Back extensions (or hyperextensions, as some call them), twists and so on.

Get well soon!

Looks good. Why lat pulldowns? I think this exercise is only for people who can't do pull ups with their bodyweight.

You can do push ups but not bench press? I don't understand that. I thought your ankle is injured... why can't you bench press, how can you do push ups? One feet up?

I'd definitely include exercises for the core muscles, or else you'll be weak in the main moves like squats and deadlift after you ankle is healed. Back extensions (or hyperextensions, as some call them), twists and so on.

Get well soon!

I do pullups with my own bodyweight. but I think lat pulldowns are great, because it allows me to use more than my own bodyweight. I currently weigh about 170lbs. and with lat pulldowns I am can add more weight than that. plus I love the slow and controlled motion I can use behind my neck. because of the pinched nerve in my arm, I cannot do pullups behind my neck, but with lat pulldown I can. so I opt to do that.

I cannot do bench press....because it requires me to have both feet on the floor, and I also have to load/unload the weights....which I cannot carry cause of my foot. I am not gonna hop on one foot with a plate of 45lbs. that could lead to something disaterous. its much easier to just pull out a pin and adjust the weight on a machine.

and yes, I do pushups with one foot. the injured foot I cross over on top of the good one, and I do pushups.

Ive never done back extensions or twists. there is no need for them. my core is extremely strong and stable. when I can go back to squats and deadlifts, I will. my priority is to let my foot heal, and then get it back into proper functioning.

thanks mate.

Sorry about your ankle Topher, I hope it heals soon.

When it gets better you might consider wearing one of those ace ankle supports on it when you are doing something. They offer a little extra pressure and support, but not enough to cause your ankles to weaken. My ankles are a weak point for me, I sprained one playing soccer in high school and then sprained the other foot/ankle falling into an irrigation ditch. I find when they are bothering me that the Ace things help.

• 2 weeks later...

I am getting bigger.

what's grown on me:

-biceps

-triceps

-forearms

-traps

-chest

-abs

what hasnt grown:

-legs (due to fractured ankle)

-------

sorry I dont keep a log but its impossible for me to write what I do. hope to take some new pics soon.