Courtney's Food Journal and Fitness Log

When you first go vegan it is easy to eat lots of vegan junk food...tofu cream cheese and sour cream were my weakness;)...but they have trans fat....so I stopped eating it. If you try putting peanut butter on half a bagel( that is my solution to everything put peanut butter on it) and have a piece of fruit and soymilk..that would keep you fuller...(1tblsp of peanut butter 3.5 grams of protien) and heathy fat...and be better for you. For Migranes( completely homeopathic..no narcotics..only 7$ a stick) buy that stuff "head on" my bf gets migranes soo bad he pukes....but he was in a full out attack..he put that on and was fine within 15 minutes...SERIOUSLY.

Good Luck:)

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For my migraines I am on Imitrex. It's the only medicine I have found that works for them. That "Head On" stuff didn't even touch it. I tried that one a few years back and it was a waste of money for me.

I will have to try your peanut butter idea though for bagels and such. I haven't tried Smart Balance yet but I love Earth Balance. I love peanut butter and I really love the Earth Balance too.

Saturday June 14, 2008

Today I am taking the advice of Lean and Green and having nothing but water today. Maybe a liquid diet today will help my body flush out some of the crap in there and get me on the road to feeling better on the inside.

Ounces of water: 64

Exercise: Not sure I am going to get around to this today. I will be working a 10 hour shift and some friends are coming over tonight to have a girly movie night. I may run by the store after work for a bit and that can count as exercise, right?

Sunday June 15, 2008

Last week's weight: 236

This week's weight: 241

Change: gained 5 pounds!

Okay, apparently all I did last week didn't work. I was terrible. But all is not lost. Folks can screw up, even on a vegan diet. I'm proof of that now.

I am going to try going mostly raw next week. I've been doing some reading online and seeing how raw food benefits the body. Besides, I am going out of town for my first full week on my new insurance job. The little town I am going to is LaMoure, ND and there are no vegan friendly restaurants in the town at all. Therefore, I am taking a cooler along. The hotel we are staying in doesn't have a fridge in the hotel room or a microwave so everything I take along must be able to be eaten cold from the cooler or room temperature. I am making a small shopping list of what I need to get from the store when I get off work tonight and will be ready to go tomorrow with a mainly raw diet. We'll see if things go better.

Okay, I have a large variety of veggies and fruits that I am taking along with me! They are apples, bananas, mango, radishes, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers, grapes, avocados, and carrots. I also have a few Luna Bars to take with me for the munchies on the road and have two bottles of juice to go along as well. I've got a gallon of apple juice and a gallon of pomegranate cranberry juice. I am taking some salad dressing in case I want to dip any veggies in there. And of course there's an unlimited supply of water at the hotel as well, complete with ice! So let's see how things do this week for me with a much healthier mix of food.

Monday June 16, 2008

Well today I did well in a couple of ways. First of all, I had healthy food today! I ate a banana, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, grapes, and a Luna Bar. I am not hungry at all right now. And I drank apple juice as well. Second of all, I made a stand for gophers in North Dakota. Apparently people out here, especially folks who are big farmers, hate them. I guess they destroy their crops or something. While on the road today with my new boss, he intentionally swerved and ran over a gopher who was crossing the road. Well I let him have it and told him that it was very cruel to intentionally swerve to hit any animal. He tried to make jokes about it but I would have none of it. I told him that he'd better not try to injure any animal, especially in my presence.

I also made my first insurance sale today, so i was super excited about that! Woo hoo!

Yeah, no kidding. But I'm the one driving today and will intentionally swerve to miss any gophers running across the road. They won't get injured on my account, that's for sure.

Tuesday June 17, 2008

I've started my day with an apple, mango, and some apple juice. I wish I had gotten more sleep last night though. I was exhausted but talked to my husband on the phone for an hour. It's weird not being right there with him. This is my first traveling job and I am not used to being gone. I'll get used to it though. I am so glad I brought a cooler along with me while I am out here. The tiny town of Kulm, ND doesn't have many food options for non-meat eaters. Last night we went out and I ended up with a garden salad. It was a good salad, but woman cannot live on salad alone.

On the job front, I am hoping to make another sale today. That would be freaking awesome!

Sorry about the gopher,and your boss.People can suck! Earlier this week I saw a car hit a squirrel. I didn''t see as much of it as mymom, and brother because they were in the front seats. The person didn't even try to swerve out of the way of the squirrel, and we just kind of saw it get hit, and it was awful. But later that day we didn't see any evidence of roadkill, so perhaps it was just stunned and got away.

I'msorry but smart balance does not taste good. I got it once because th store was out of Earth Balance. I couldn't stand the taste and ended up taking it back to the store. Earth Balance all the way!

lol...you should have given it to me!

Monday June 16, 2008

Well today I did well in a couple of ways. First of all, I had healthy food today! I ate a banana, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, grapes, and a Luna Bar. I am not hungry at all right now. And I drank apple juice as well. Second of all, I made a stand for gophers in North Dakota. Apparently people out here, especially folks who are big farmers, hate them. I guess they destroy their crops or something. While on the road today with my new boss, he intentionally swerved and ran over a gopher who was crossing the road. Well I let him have it and told him that it was very cruel to intentionally swerve to hit any animal. He tried to make jokes about it but I would have none of it. I told him that he'd better not try to injure any animal, especially in my presence.

I also made my first insurance sale today, so i was super excited about that! Woo hoo!

That is unbelievable....does he know you are vegan and did that anyway???

He knew I was vegan afterwards and I gave him a few choice words about animal cruelty.

Let's just say that I am not with his company anymore. Not only did that royally piss me off, but I can't handle being gone from my family 4 nights out of the week. So I am back to my desk job with Wells Fargo, which I loved anyway even though it doesn't pay enough. I am working now on finding a second job to supplement our income and allow my husband to continue to stay home with out daughter.

Wednesday June 25, 2008

My weight increased this week again but I do have good reasons for it. Over the weekend we went to a wedding. A vegan wedding at that! I still have leftover chocolate cake. It's so good! I think I had 4 pieces of it over the weekend. And the Tuesday was my husband's and my 2nd wedding anniversary, so of course we went out to dinner. And I ate too much there too. I doesn't help that I am drinking a margarita right now and on my second slice of pizza.

Where the hell has my motivation gone? And how do I get it back before I get back to the 260 pounds that I was at before I got pregnant with my daughter? I'm at 245 now, which is another 4 pound gain this week. That's not good for me. I have to stop this cycle of eat and eat and eat.

Thursday June 26, 2008

Breakfast: 16 oz. soymilk, banana

Lunch: potato chips, miso soup, carob peanut butter cup

Dinner: apple, organic butternut squash soup with scallions

Ounces of water: 20

Exercise:

I have a job interview this afternoon at 1:00PM with Bankers Life and Casualty Insurance. Basically if I go in and find that it's another traveling job I'm not doing it. I just need to be home. Physically I am still trying to recover from being gone so much. I have had diarrhea for a week now (pure water) and have been so exhausted. Once I get back to my normal schedule I should be fine, but I am still working back towards my normal. And being on the road and not sure what options I'd have for food didn't help much, believe me. The only vegan things I could find out there were dinner salads (lettuce and carrots) and fresh fruits. There were no sources of vegan protein and I didn't take any in my cooler, so I think that my be what's got me so messed up in my intestines.

Edited by VeganGirl2006

A vegan wedding.....??? HOW COOL IS THAT! I wish I was invited to a vegan wedding. The chocolate cake, mmmm that's gotta be good. Don't beat yourself up about falling off track. It only makes it that much more frustrating when you get back, rather, just prepare yourself and just get at it again, saying ok, I can do this. It was only a minor setback. You'll get there. Something will just click inside of you and you'll get that drive you need and anytime you fall off your regimen, just ell yourself you're taking a break at the moment and when you resume you'll be just as optimistic as when you started.... ;)

Glad your sticking with it! Happy Anniversary!

My diet control seemed impossible before I started regular exercise. It throws a switch in my brain that allows me to moderate my consumption of food. The increased metabolism also burns the calories I take in faster. Now I really develop an appetite, and can satisfy it. Before I was just eating and often wouldn't stop until I crashed out for the night, with my gut full. I also try and not go too many hours with out food, which drops my metabolism and innervates me. 20 minutes of "fast as you can" walking a few times a week is the best start, I believe, a regular, modest habit.

That's awesome that you got to go to a vegan wedding. I'm going to a vegan prom in a few weeks! No, I'm not 18. LOL.

I haven't read your whole blog, but do you go through periods where you eat super healthy, and then binge on "bad" foods? That can really screw our bodies up. I have gone through that sort of pattern myself in the past, where I'll eat great for a while and then go nuts with dessert and just feel atrocious. I find I'm happiest when I let myself have "bad" stuff pretty consistently, while eating really well at the same time. Different things work for different people though, we all have our strengths and weaknesses. I can stop after two cookies; not everyone can. But if you give me the choice between a cookie and a banana, I will take the cookie every single time!

I haven't read your whole blog, but do you go through periods where you eat super healthy, and then binge on "bad" foods? That can really screw our bodies up. I have gone through that sort of pattern myself in the past, where I'll eat great for a while and then go nuts with dessert and just feel atrocious. I find I'm happiest when I let myself have "bad" stuff pretty consistently, while eating really well at the same time. Different things work for different people though, we all have our strengths and weaknesses. I can stop after two cookies; not everyone can. But if you give me the choice between a cookie and a banana, I will take the cookie every single time!

Yep, you hit the nail on the head. I can do fabulous for a short period of time. But I am so partial to the bad stuff that once I let myself have "just one" it never stops. Sadly I am one of those people who eats one cookie and then must eat the whole bag. I can't stop after just one for some reason. I know it's got to be a mental thing. I have to find a way to retrain my brain to say "It's okay to leave some for later." I know that there are times my lack of self control annoys my husband. He is very good at having one or two cookies and putting the rest away. Then I go in and eat a cookie or two and the next thing I know I keep going back to the jar all day long until they are gone. Then he goes in the next day to get one and there are none left. In the past I've tried removing all traces of sweets from my house so that there's no temptation. But then I just go to the store and get something. So even getting the snacky foods out of the house does me no good. There's got to be a way to get my head out of the mindset of having to eat everything.

Do you tell yourself that you can only have just one/once? I know my personality type hates that kind of thinking, I get really emotional and angsty over it, and when translated to food I know it has caused me to be a bit more bingey than I normally am (i.e. with things that I can only buy in certain places, and can only have occasionally, I'll tend to go overboard and buy/eat a lot at once sometimes). All or nothing thinking can lead to bad places too. I don't really know how to overcome it though. The only thing I've found that helps ME is not considering anything final (i.e. can't have a cookie... except this once.) I don't know if that made any sense.

Yep, I'll tell myself that I can only have one or two. I actually take that amount out of the jar and go out of the kitchen to eat it. But once it's gone I usually end up heading back for seconds. I am so bad at dieting! I guess like most things in this world, it takes practice. I didn't get fat overnight and I won't be able to change everything overnight either.