Sarah's progress not perfection journal

So I think I've finally recovered from my vacation. Camping for 4 days with 80,000 of my closest friends was not my idea of relaxation, but we did manage to see some amazing shows. Yesterday was my first day back at the gym in a week!!! For some reason, I had no desire to weight train so all I managed to squeeze out was a 30 min. jog. Today, however, my training resumes!

Diet was crap this past week so I'm really focused on cleaning it up even though I already ate a handful of wasabi peas. Here's what I ate:

M1: Peach, 1/2 mango, soy yogurt w/ hemp protein mixed in

M2: Homemade Gazpacho w/ 1/2 and avocado, handful of wasabi peas

M3: Clif bar

M4: Spiru-Tein Mixed w/ H20

M5: My mom's in town so I'm going out to eat...God give me strength!!!

AM Workout: 20 min on spin bike, 15 min. on step mill

PM Workout: Chest/Tris/Shoulders

So, I had a really good day today. Lots of energy and I feel like I'm back to myself after the vacation.

AM Workout: 35 minutes HIIT on the treadmill

PM Workout:Back & Bi's

- Assisted Pull ups: 11 10 10 90

- Barbell Curl: 15x25 14x30 14x30 15x30

- Lat Pull Down: 15x75 12x80 12x80 10x80 10x80

- Preacher Curl Machine: 10x20 10x20 11x20

- Bi Curl Machine: 10x40 10x40

- Rear Delt Row: 12x80 10x80 13x80

- Dumbbell Curl: 12x12.5 14x12.5 13x12.5

Also did 9 sets of Abs

Diet:

M1: Spiru-Tein & H20 with flax seed oil

M2: Steel Cut Oats w/ cinnamon and an orange

M3: Gazpacho w/ avocado & 1/2 cp. brown rice

M4: Banana and hemp protein pudding

M5: Left over Green Curry w/ 2/3 cp. brown rice and veggies

Yesterday was another good day. I'm so glad to be home and back into my routine. Although, I weighed in at 113, which is the heaviest I've been since I lost 8 pounds at the beginning of the year. I'm trying not to stress because I know it all has to do with my vacation, but it still sucks. On a brighter note, my diet has been spotless (IMO) since I got back.

M1: Smoothie with canned pumpkin, kale, almond milk, scoop of spiru-tein and a frozen banana...this is one of the best one's I've made!

M2: Tofu scramble in a whole wheat tortilla

M3: Huge salad> baby greens, spinach, olives, tomatoes, artichoke hearts, raisins, bell peppers and balsamic vinegar

M4: chunk of cantaloupe and 1tbsp. of natural peanut butter on a slice of Ezekiel bread

M5: Vegan Barbeque!!! Amy's organic burger, which we burned but I still ate , veggie kabob with portobellos, zucchini, and red onions, and grilled Yukon potatoes

I also had way too much red wine...If I can't shed these 3 pounds in two weeks, the wine has got to go!!!

AM Workout: 30 minute spin class and 15 minutes on the step mill

PM Workout: Leg Press 10x130 13x130 14x130 14x130

Smith Squats 13x95 11x95 13x95

Dead Lifts 10x45 9x55 11x55

Seated Calf Machine 28 27 25

Lying Leg Curls 12x60 10x60 12x60 9x65

9 sets of abs!

Been busy so I haven't been updating my journal. Monday I did chest/tris plus 40 minutes on the step mill and 9 sets of abs.

Incline Chest Press: 13x50 10x50 11x50

Chest Press Machine: 12x40 12x40 12x40

Butterfly Machine: 10x20 10x20 11x20

Dumbbell Flyes: 13x20 12x20 11x20

Tricep Press Overhead: 9x30 10x30 11x30

Tricep Dips: 14 12 9

Tricep Rope Press: 9x60 12x50 11x50 10x50

Skull Crushers on stability ball: 13x25 12x25 15x25

Yesterday was legs w/ a focus on glutes plus 25 minutes of HIIT on the treadmill and 9 sets of abs.

Lunges: 10x30 10x40 12x40 13x40

Butt Blaster Machine: 9x25 9x25 9x25

Lying Leg Curl: 13x60 13x60 11x60 11x60

Calf Raises: 4x to failure

Today all I did was 30 minute spin class and 20 minutes on the step mill.

Today's diet:

M1: Hemp protein w/ unsweetened almond milk

M2: Steel Cut Oats w/ apple and 1/2 a banana

M3: Okra Masala (yum) with basmati rice

M4: Canned pumpkin with apple and 1/2 banana

M5: Homemade veggie sushi w/ 3/4 cp. edamame

Diet was on track today.

M1: Rice protein shake with H20

M2: Steel cut oats with peach, strawberries and flax seed

M3: Spinach salad with tomatoes, carrots and alfalfa sprouts & 5 pieces veggie sushi

M4: 1/2 cp. canned pumpkin, 1/2 clif bar, 1/2 banana

M5: Rice protein shake with H20

M6: 1 cp. Lentils w/ canned tomatoes and spinach salad

Workout was pretty intense. A friend of mine who used to train me suggested that I try lighter weights and higher reps to see where that gets me w/ the 3 pounds I want gone. To be honest, I didn't like it. I really wasn't able to go to failure on many exercises and I felt like I was cheating myself. I guess I'll stick with it for a month or so to see what kind of results I gets. Today was back and bis.

AM Workout: 30 mins. HIIT on treadmill plus 10 sets of abs

PM Workout:

Assisted pull-ups - 10x90 11x90 10x90 10x90 (These were to failure.)

Lying Row - 15x22.5 13x22.5 11x22.5

Seated Row - 15x40 13x40 12x40

Rear Delt Row - 17x70 16x70 15x70 16x70

Lower Back Extensions - 3 sets of 10 holding a 10 lb. weight

Barbell Curl - 15x25 17x25 15x25 16x25

Preacher Curl Machine - 13x13 12x13 11x13 (These were to failure.)

Rope Hammer Curls - 17x25 18x30 19x30 17x3

Concentration Curl - 15x10 11x10 12x10

This past week has been pretty good, but I'm still finding it hard to get back on track as far as consuming less calories, and getting several servings of fresh vegetables every day, I think eating all of that crap for a couple of weeks really dramatically increased my appetite. I haven't had any problems at all with dieting the past 6 months or so until I went to L.A. When I was in Taiwan it was easy to diet because there is so much healthy vegan food everywhere.

I know exactly what you mean. It's like you get off track for a week and your body is paying for it for a month! I think my appetite was increased too, but it seems to be pretty much back to normal now. Although, I'm still dealing 2ith 3 lbs. I want gone. My trainer/friend is trying to convince me it's muscle, but I'm not buying it!!!

Yesterday was pretty good considering that my energy level was really low and I was in a rotten mood all day.

AM Workout: 25 minutes of spin class and 20 minutes on the step mill

PM Workout:I did legs and could barely get through it. I was nauseous by the end. I didn't think it was food related, but came home after and had some carrots and hummus and felt instantly better. Later, I asked my trainer and he fussed at me for not eating enough carbs.

Dumbbell Lunges: 11x35 10x40 10x40

Leg Press: 16x120 14x120 13x120 14x120

Lying Leg Curls: 12x55 14x50 14x50 13x50

Calf Raises: Total of 6 sets to failure

Inner hip Abductor: 15x40 16x40 15x40

After my snack at home, I did a half-ass ab workout. Also, my piriformous is bothering me again so I'm stretching like crazy...I even stretch at my desk in the office. I'm sure my co-workers think I've lost my mind.

DIET:

M1: Rice protein & H20

M2: Tofu Scramble & a mango

M3: Pinto beans, salsa and 1/2 an avocado w/ 2 corn tortillas...and a handful of what I'm sure was sugar-laden granola...my only stray for the day

M4: banana, cantaloupe & Rice protein

M5: Huge spinach salad w/ tomatoes, mushrooms, bell peppers and some steamed broccoli

TOTAL= 1400 calories, 55% carbs, 25% protein, 20% fat

I'm leaving for Austin for the 3-day weekend today tonight. I've already squeezed in a 30 min. run and an awesome ab routine and I plan to do back & bi's at lunch today. It sucks because right as I feel like I'm making gains, my boyfriend whisks me away!! I know it's awful to complain about that, but I also know when I get back on Monday my diet will have suffered and I will have missed 3 days at the gym. Oh well...the things we do for love

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since I posted. I went out of town and then came home and was extremely busy. The good news is, everything is back to normal. This week has been awesome as far as diet is concerned. I haven't had any wine since Saturday (yay) and I'm back on track as far as calories go.

Today was:

M1: Rice protein shake w/ almond milk

M2: Banana and nectarine

M3: Tofu Scramble (tofu, bell peppers, onions and mushrooms) and a green salad

M4: piece of homemade banana bread and handful of grapes

M5: Vegan Enchiladas (corn tortillas, black beans, carrots, and zucchini)

Portions were small so I only hit about 1300 calories

Yesterday's workout:

Bulgarian Split Squats ( my first time so my form was awful)

11x30 11x30 11x30 16x25

Straight-legged deadlifts

15x40 15x45 15x55

Lying Leg Curls

9x55 10x50 12x50

Seated Leg Curl (quads)

14x55 12x55 13x55

Calf raises

6 sets to failure

Outer abductor

15x55 12x55 12x55

Today's workout:

Incline Chest Press

17x40 10x40 12x40 13x40

Pec Deck

14x13.5 13x13.5 13x13.5 14x13.5

Chest Press Machine

10x70 12x60 12x60 14x60

Pushups

2 sets to failure

Tricep Dips

10, 10, 11

Tricep Rope Press

14x55 12x55 13x55 12x55

Tricep Kickbacks

13x10 12x10 12x10

• 4 weeks later...

So I know I haven't posted in a while. I've been pretty busy, which is still no excuse. My diet seems to be better than ever and it's because I've really taken the time to put together a diet that reporesents a vegan athlete. It may not be perfect, but it's a definite improvement. This is what I ate yesterday:

M1: Protein Banana Muffins

M2: Rice protein & H20

M3: Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots w/ Pesto Sauce over raw spinach

M4: 1/2 Apple, 1/2 banana and 25 gms. natural peanut butter

M5: Broccoli, yellow squash and seitan

53% carbs, 29% protein, 18% fat

I also have a little story to tell if anyone actually reads this. My brother has recently converted my parents 30 acres in Louisiana to an organic farm. He's only farming about 5 acres now, but wants to make it fully functional by the end of the year. He also has about 18 chickens that he uses to sell their eggs at the market. I was visiting there last weekend and decided to take my dogs for a walk around his gardens. Now my dogs are "city" dogs. They turn there heads when they see potential prey such as a mouse or bird. That's why I was shocked when my 10 lb. miniature pinscher took off after one of the chickens. I mean she was full speed ahead and neck to neck with this chicken. Well, I naturally freaked out and was able to corner the dog and get her away from the chicken. I carried her away until I thought we were far enough from chicken territory. Right as I put her down she took off again. By the time I caught up with her the second time, she had the chicken pinned down and was in an all out battle with poultry. I didn't know what to do and instantly became hysterical at the site of this poor chicken being tortured. My mom came running and as she went to help the chicken, my other dog went in for the kill and took the chicken out by the neck. I WILL NEVER FORGET THAT SIGHT! My innocent, sweet baby taking a chicken down by the jugular. Now I know this is nature and I know a dog's instinct is something much different than that of humans, but that didn't stop this event from making it's mark. I'm still pretty upset, but in a way it only strengthened my vegan convictions.

• 1 month later...

I contemplated starting a whole new journal, but decided to continue with this one. Long story short, I've been dealing with a lot of stress and most of it was stemming from my job. It was affecting everything...my relationships, my workouts, my diet, everything! So I quit and the relief is unbelievable. I;m taking this opportunity to really start hitting it hard at the gym again and returning to my clean diet ways. If you could've seen my diet during the past few weeks, I probably would've been kicked off this forum! Let's just say it was shameful and I've got 8 extra pounds to prove it. Today is the start of me taking control of my life and reclaiming the old me! I'll be posting workouts and diet like I used to and weighing in once a week to track my progress.

Regarding your statement about regaining control and the old you...that's totally how I feel. i'm working to regain my old habits and my old body...struggling with time constraints and stress...didn't study for an exam I was suppose to take tonight but because I had a medical procedure my prof is nice enough to let me take it wednesday too bad i have another test that day too. I bindged so bad on friday so I know what you mean about not wanting to post your diet...lately my hunger has been out of control as has my mindless eating...

your workouts are great...I'm trying to find the time and energy to do the same...just ordered a weight bench so i can do more at home.

• 3 weeks later...