Sparrow shot for downing domino record bid

CrispyQ

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/11/16/sparrow.domino.ap/

snip...

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands (AP) -- The Dutch animal protection agency said Tuesday it is investigating the shooting death of a sparrow that knocked over 23,000 dominoes during an attempt to set a world record.

The ill-fated bird flew into an exposition center, threatening to derail a world record Monday, before it was chased into a corner and shot by an exterminator with an air rifle.

The bird was a common house sparrow -- a species placed on the national endangered list last year.

more...

The Endemol production company, which organized the Domino Day event, defended the killing. The organizers wanted to break their own Guinness World Record of 3,992,397 dominoes set last year by toppling a chain of 4,321,000 blocks.

Around 200,000 dominoes were left to go, and the bird knocked down 23,000 of them.

Endemol spokesman Jeroen van Waardenberg said organizers made a "split-second" decision to shoot down the bird.

"That bird was flying around and knocking over a lot of dominoes. More than 100 people from 12 countries had worked for more than a month setting them up," he said.

the only good part of this sad story...

A Dutch website called Geenstijl offered a $1,200 reward for anybody who knocks over the dominoes ahead of time to avenge the bird.

===

So 23,000 upright dominoes are more important than the life of a small bird - one on the endangered species list, no less. This pisses me off so bad!

This is a truly shameful event. Some people are ignorant beyond belief, but stupidity isn't a crime -- however animal cruelty is. These "domino dons" better get their acts together and get their priorities straight.

I wonder how those responsible for this tragic act would feel if they were in the same situation. Compassion should not be on the endangered list.

Yes, Dutch people suck arse. I am trying to immigrate asap. This incident has been discussed all over dutch television. It even caused remarks like "Sure it is tragic that this sparrow got killed, but think about the millions of innocent animals killed for food". I agree with that, and hope this accident has opened peoples eyes.

A Dutch website called Geenstijl offered a $1,200 reward for anybody who knocks over the dominoes ahead of time to avenge the bird.

Hmmm... not a bad idea, that would more than cover a plane ticket and a fun trip to knock over hundreds of thousands of dominos Probably have to run away from an angry mob though