Michigan Members?

SeaSiren

Hello from Michigan! If you go to HappyCow.com, you will find some restaurants in that area. My favorite is Inn Season Cafe in Royal Oak, but I have gone to Om Cafe (that is bare bones type of place, but awesome desserts - not that you would be interested in desserts with as cut as you are now!). There is some raw food place right in Detroit that I saw on the website, that might be cool to check out (it is too far from where I live. Inn Season Cafe is already a 45 minute drive on I-75 from my house).

There is a Whole Foods Market on Orchard Lake Road and 14 mile (just off of 696) that has an awesome deli (though they are now in the process of renovation, but it has a nice one still). There are also alot of Thai, Middle Eastern (any of the La Shish restaurants are nice - if they are still up and running due to the owner being deported back to his home country!), Ethiopian restaurants (VegMichigan likes to go there for their Friday Night Out alot), and others. So check out the website and see if you can google it to get directions (I think the website has maps for them). I would like to go if I could, but I am right in the middle of soccer season with two of my boys, and the weekends are pretty much filled with games.

I would like to go if I could, but I am right in the middle of soccer season with two of my boys, and the weekends are pretty much filled with games.

Don't think you are getting off that easy This place is really awesome, Lake St Clair is gorgeous. So I def am coming back! Next time though, I will let everyone know way before hand. This was a really last minute thing. But so glad I came out.

Thanks for the info!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm back! For a while anyway...... several years, a life time, who knows?

On a side note, I am about 4 hours from Chicago and 3.5 from Toronto, Canada now. So quite a few comps in these areas and I am biting at the bit to hit Toronto! I here plenty of places for that post comp meal

I'm still getting my bearings in regards to the surrounding towns (and not being able to turn left except at a turn around on major roads... turn right to turn left ... and then you can turn left on a red light apparently.... so I give it a few days before I go head on into someone, lol ), but I am in Harrison Township

Oh, you are in Boat town. Very beautiful over there. How are you enjoying the wild Michigan weather we are having lately? I just love it! I am a lover of storms, and it has been so dry for the longest time here in Michigan during the past summers. I was one of the lucky ones who had power during the downed power lines from all the storms. Hope you are doing alright where you are at.

Weather regarding the storms I am very used to. We had huge "thunder boomers" which rolled out many evenings near the ocean. I absolutely love watching the dark clouds rolling in with the powerful winds and you can smell the rain coming...... ah, heaven.

The only thing I can not get used to is ..... it's freaking cold out there!!!!! Everyone looks at me like I have gone completely mad. Not sure if I will ever make the adjustment, but give me 90 degree weather all year round and I'd be a happy camper, lol

Yes, this town is very beautiful, and so are the people. Looks like the bid was accepted on a home I was looking at, 5 bedroom , 3 bath, 3 car two story garage, living room, kitchen, dining room, office, mud room, basement (but one of those "Michigan" basements so they call them .... maybe 6' clearance? .. so only really good for elevated storage) and game room with wet bar. Balcony off the game room (on second floor) screened deck, open deck w/jacuzzi and tons of room for a pool & garden.

The house needs work.... but then again, could not have afforded something that size ready to roll anyway. Met a lot of the neighbors, they kept coming out and talking my ear off and pleading "PLEASE buy the house!" ... it's an upscale neighborhood and all the neighbors across from me have boats on their docks. So I told them I am going to have a a house warming party and putting a paint brush in every one's hand, lol .... they seemed cool with that

The first occupants husband died of cancer and she moved next door into a smaller home. She sold it to a gentleman who leased it out to a ton of adults who where apparently drug dealers and the police where constantly up there and also watching the house. Those people tore the living daylights out of the interior, so broken glass, holes in the dry wall and had an animal in there, who apparently was not house trained. So first things first, rip up the flooring! I need to run air purifiers and through baking soda down several times before replacing the flooring with something other than carpet (not a fan of carpet). Drywall, I can do, Windows I will have to pay someone to come in for ..... then I can actually move in and do the rest as I go along. I am actually handier than most people realize, lol .... I'll take pictures as I go of the transformation.

Edited by SeaSiren

So first things first, rip up the flooring! I need to run air purifiers and through baking soda down several times before replacing the flooring with something other than carpet (not a fan of carpet). Drywall, I can do, Windows I will have to pay someone to come in for ..... then I can actually move in and do the rest as I go along. I am actually handier than most people realize, lol .... I'll take pictures as I go of the transformation.

WOW! This impressed me a lot. Way to go.

You think it is cold now! Wait till September, no better yet wait till February! Below 0 degrees is a good day (wind chill included). Layer up to keep the thermostat down!

Seriously, welcome to Michigan! You are in a good neighborhood. And people love to help with anything dealing with home improvements in this state. I have never seen so many Home Depot or Lowes in surrounding communities around here. We even have a Home Depot in our neighboring little town of Lake Orion!