About beforewisdom's calcium sticky

I was reading through the sticky on calcium and was amazed at how the calcium in greens is so well absorbed compared to other foods. Sesame seeds aren't as great as I once thought. I am shocked at the spinach absorption, though. 122mg in and only 6mg absorbed? Why is the calcium in spinach so much harder to absorb than other greens? Is this possibly a mistake on their part?

http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

The oxalates in spinach bind calcium so that it cannot be absorbed. There's some more information about vegans and calcium here.

Well that sucks. I knew they were supposed to bind some nutrients to an extent, but not that much. I still eat a ton of kale, collards, broccoli and other stuff, so I should be fine. Thanks for the link.

One of the reasons for the USRDA for calcium being so high, aside from the Dairy Council wanting people to drink more milk, is that getting enough calcium is also an absorption issue. Spinach and chard are the worst examples of vegetables that will not give it up. You don't absorb much from beans. Kale has high absorbability. As far as supplemental calcium goes the most absorbable kind is calcium citrate balance with 1/2 part magnesium.

A lot of these things are mentioned in the book "Become Vegan"