Phils Introduction to Fitness!

Week two went pretty well. I felt like i got a few more max sets in there. I have had the problem since i dont have a workout partner finding a weight that i can max out on for 6 reps. I did it with maybe a 1/3 of the excercises this week. 2/3 were near max. I am already seeing progress both in my body and the weights i can handle. Not much but enough to tell the difference. I had gained some weight because i deferred a student loan adn had all this extra money to waste on fast vegan food and cupcakes. I am loosing that again. good thing since its gay pride next weekend.

Someone contacted me as per my craigslist ad and wants to go out door bouldering tomorrow after work some im looking forward to that. my arms should be really sore by tomorrow though but its a good chance to go with experienced climbers.

side note. I am trying to loose 1 lbs this week by walking during my lunches and eating more healthy.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

week 3

A:

behind the neck press with barbell

shrug

side deltoid raise

french curl

preacher curl

forearm curl

reverse forearm curl

B:

hack squat

leg curl with ankle weights

leg extension with ankle weights

seated heel raise with barbell

ankle felxion with weight plate

stationary lunge with dumbells

standing kickback with ankle weights

C:

decline bench press

dumbell fly

good morning

one arm dumbell row

dumbell trunk twist

oblique trunk rotation with weight plate

dumbell side bend

After this week it starts on the first week so hopefully i will see my max increase. i cant wait to see my results from the whole 3 months program and then step it up a notch. Getting in a minimum fitness level has really made me desire a body that is reactive so i can kung fu punch someone while jumping over a vehicle and saving a cat all in one process.

It looks like you're doing great!! I've often thought about rock climbing but then get too intimidated because I'm afraid I won't be strong enough and then I never go. That might be something I try this summer ...

I love that you've incorporated climbing into your workouts. I'm thinking that in a year's time I might start kung fu again.

Good luck with your program!!

• 2 weeks later...

Week 4: It is suppose to be a reiteration of the first week but i have changed a few things. Because i do not have a workout partner i have switched all bench presses to dumbbell presses (incline and regular) Also instead of doing a warm up set then a 6 rep max, I have switched to a warm up set and a 75-85 max weight for 6 and then another set that is my max rep for six. Previously i had stopped at six even if the weight was slightly light. i am going to start trying to get past six so that i am positive of the weight i should be using. Also i was working out Saturday Tuesday Thursday. By doing this and then having to many conflicting things i ended up missing a day. so i am on a Monday Wednesday schedule OR a Tuesday Thursday Saturday schedule. This gives me leeway to either skip Saturday if i am immobile and work out on Sunday.

A:

overhead press with barbell

upright row

side deltoid raise

lying triceps

barbell curl

forearm curl

reverse forearm

C:(switched the routine up. I am biking to work so i want to do legs last day so as to recover on the weekends)

bench press(using dumbbells)

dumbell fly

wide-grip row

dumbell swing

dumbell trunk twist

oblique trunk rotation with weight plate

leg raise with ankle weights

B:

lateral lunge with barbell

hack squat

?? hamstring excercise (perhaps standing leg curl?)

front squat(new change)

heel raise with dumbells

ankle flexion with weight plate

stationary lunge with dumbells

while i am starting to feel more muscular and my body is barely starting to take some shape i feel slightly weaker when i climb. I may do a two day split followed up with 2 days climbing. i have neglected this aspect of my training having loved getting into learning about the weights. we shall see. perhaps ill do this after the three months are over.

hey man just checking up to see what you've been up to....

Very cool that you are rock climbing 2 days a week. That 'rocks'! Seriously though, that is totally awesome.

I'm glad you're learning about weights and training. For me, growth usually comes in waves. I'll explode in growth and then level off for awhile and then out of nowhere it will happen again, as if I am like superhuman for a week in comparison to the other weeks. Remember how much you gained right away in the beginning? Maybe it's your bodies way of acclimating itself to the new growth and adapting and before you know it, you'll have another stage out of nowhere.

Dunno the rhyme or reason, it didn't happen according to the changes I would make, just comes whenever it feels like and all sorts of things happen for about 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 weeks and then it levels off, for me at least......

don't ever get discouraged my friend, just keep on doing your thing and make sure you eat clean often.

Karmakatcher: thank you for the words of encouragement. i had missed your comments previously.

L&G: I appreciate your compliments as well.

Note: I feel like i want to modify my program i just felt weird today, could be because for the last two days i have not eaten much food stuff. I am giving it one more week with me eating clean and see how i feel. I just realize while doing this that i do not have very good endurance. Im thinking about switching up the pace working out lighter with more reps and sets. Again we shall see what happens this coming week.

• 2 weeks later...

so last week when i did a leg day i was so week that i just kinda got discouraged and stopped working out all week until sunday when i did some out door rock climbing. I am not entirely sure the program i was on was right for me. This week im going to be rock climbing all week to help some endurance issue i feel im facing. then next week im starting a strength training program with cardio.

Hey Phil,

Great to read your training journal - both as a gay vegan and someone who just recently started lifting (6 months now, 2-3 times a week)- a lot of your story rings familiar to me, especially some of the early body image stuff.

Looking forward to reading more and sharing more of my journey as well

peace,

Jade

Hey Phil,

Great to read your training journal - both as a gay vegan and someone who just recently started lifting (6 months now, 2-3 times a week)- a lot of your story rings familiar to me, especially some of the early body image stuff.

Looking forward to reading more and sharing more of my journey as well

peace,

Jade

Hello Jade,

I would love to hear and share stories with you. I often get discouraged because at times it feels like others perhaps do not understand some of the internalized pressure that my history can enforce. I would love to know what your training plan is as well, you look amazing!

looking forward to hearing from you.

Phil

Soo i stopped counting weeks because i have fallen off the wagon in terms of weight lifting. I did however rock climb every other day last week and this week as well as through 15-30 minutes of cardio in the mix. I really enjoy rock climbing i just do not have the endurance as of yet to encorporate both rock climbing and weight lifting congruently. I think i will climb this week and next week, then get into a 2 day split with 2 days rock climbing. I am feeling great as i am decreasing my body fat.

Emotional response and feedback ajustment:

I have been walking around my house topless for the last few weeks so that i can get use to the idea of my body. I have not enjoyed my body for quite some time, but i have also never endeavored to change it until now. So i am doing a duel program of working to improve myself as well as my emotional response to my physical self. there are things that i cannot change on my body that have been damaged by being severely overweight but there is much that i can change. In the end it is about having unqualified love for oneself in all aspects.

Hey Phil,

My heart goes out to you re: all that internalized pressure / personal history / self-care challenges. In my line of work (as a Personal Trainer of sorts) I hear these kinds of concerns a lot. Believe it or not, I have some strategies for you to try if you're game. You can check the website below my signature for more info... I bet what I teach (EFT - Emotional Freedom Techniques) could really help with those troubling emotional issues that seem to "drive" some of the not-so-good habits and feelings... anyhow - just thought I'd throw that out there!

Here's to going easy on yourself and not taking it all so seriously. I've been going to realjock.com to get their free workouts, then going to the gym and doing what I want, what feels right. my pic makes me look bigger than I am, btw.. hehe.. but I too am working on my alignment and just going with the flow - and trying to stay out of all the self-judgment stuff - easier said than done!

Something I do that has done wonders for me physically is visualization. It's pure quantum physics (plus, it feels really good) to imagine yourself toned, feeling great, feeling connected, really inhabiting your body, giving yourself good nutrition, not needing much sugar... feeling sexy, whatever is on your personal 'goal' list. Being able to fully inhabit the feeling of what you desire for yourself is Step 1. The rest is just taking inspired action...

anyhow, I'll get off my soap box - been thinking about hanging out a shingle for fitness/performance stuff more - so just trying it out!

be well,

Jade

• 1 month later...

so i have not been doing well. I havent been rock climbing for a while now and no working out to be had. i lost some weight but its mostly fat so not too worried there. I have never felt so bad about myself before this week which is weird because i have been really over and really underweight. I think im dissapointed in myself which is the hardest thing to shrug. My weight lifting plan was not working for me, besides giving me a sense of completion as far as working out it was not the right program. I jsut feel so new at excercise that its hard to train without someone telling me how to do this or that. I am going to revamp my program and my nutrition. I also feel really bad about my chest. the extra skin is killing me. It makes me depressed every day to look at it but i don't want to get surgery without trying my hardest with working out first. and i can honestly say that while i have put in effort it has not been maximum effort with maximized nutrition.

I am going to try to eat 2500 calories or so a day with over 120 grams of protean. I think before now i have been only getting about 50-70g of protean if i try really tried hard. I looked into the gemma protean powder and i can get enough for three servings a day for over three months for under 100 dollars. which is amazing.

Next comes the workout plan. I want something challenging but not overwhelming. I am thnking that since the gym is free weight and cross fit to start intensively doing body weight workouts incorporated with weights. like dips chin ups push ups pull ups with squats dumbell pressess and what not.

I really need help here finding a program for me any suggestions would help me greatly as i follow direction well i just suck at innovation.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright guys new plan. I worked out once this week with the following routine. I am listing two routines first being a modification of what my normal one is because i am working out at my crappy office gym. next week my schedule normalizes and i am able to go to the awesome gym.

i can see how that would be more benificial. This week i have somewhat modified my routine since i found out they have a gym at work and in order to save me some hassle of walking to and from work then too the gym i am working out here. Until next week when i start at noon and can reasonably get up and go to the fully equip one.

They do not have a chin up bar nor a dip bar. they have an Olympic weight set and then a rack of dumbbells as well as a rack of ez curl bars in various weight increments from 5lbs to 200 lbs. they also dont have a squat rack. so i am modifying this weeks program to the following

Monday:

barbell over head press

close grip upright row

bent over one arm dumbell row

Cable Rear Pulldown

Today I will do the following:

hack squat

good morning

dead lift

Dumbbell Single Leg Calf Raise

pilates for 20 minutes for core

Friday:

pushup

Dumbbell Decline Bench Press

dumbell benchpress

then i will start with the work out modified with everyones suggestions.

==================

day 1

pull ups

overhead press

upright rows

wide grip rows

day 2

squat

dead lift

front squat

roman chair

step ups

day 3

pushup

dumbell benchpress

dip

day 4 rockclimb

day 5 rest

day 6 start over.

Weight:172

BF %:22

Edited by phillipeb

Day two went well. Did a modified version of my program since i am working out at work this week. My legs are feeling a bit tired today but i think i have to hit them harder next week. i was hoping to destroy them but as a warm up routine not bad.

Hack Squat

Dumbbell Single Leg Calf Raise

2 leg machines one for quadriceps and another for the back of the leg.

next week ill be adding in my squat variations so it should be a good deal.

• 1 month later...

alright people i know it has been a while since i have posted. For a bit, i got discouraged because either the program seemed to hard or not hard enough and i couldnt get my nutrition right, I am still working on my nutrition but i have been working out for about 6 weeks now. This last week i started a new program that i am going to keep for about 6 more weeks before adding some agility exercises and more specific exercises to the plan.

edit:i posted the wrong workout, here is the correct one.

here is my workout plan for the next 6-10 weeks

day 1

dumbbell bench press 3x12

cable front pull down 3x12

incline bench press 3x12

bent over single arm row 3x12

day 2

dumbbell squats 3x12

dumbbell straightleg deadlift 3x12

dumbbell single calf raise 3x12

dumbbell lunges 3x12

day 3

dumbbell shoulder press 3x12

dumbbell upright row 3x12

dumbbell rear delt row 3x12

tricep extensions 3x12

dumbbell curl 3x12

day 4:

modified bicycle kick (2 sec per side) 15 reps, followed by 30 reg crunchx3

reverse crunch 20 repsx3

roll ups (5 seconds down) 10 repsx3

rockclimbing (just for fun)

This is the most ambitious and hard workout i have ever tried. But I am a weak bitch and im tired of being a vegan stereotype.

/the end

Here are some pictures from today that i took. You can see my origonal pictures from the link in my signature.

even though i am the judge i am still going to track my progress. Ill post stats later this week.

legs:

http://assets.realjock.com/photos/member/468/43082_336713.jpg

back:

http://assets.realjock.com/photos/member/468/43082_336714.jpg

front:

http://assets.realjock.com/photos/member/468/43082_336715.jpg

side/arms:

http://assets.realjock.com/photos/member/468/43082_336716.jpg

171lbs 20% body fat.

My goal at the end of this three month challenge that i am embarking on is to be 175lbs and 16 percent body fat. I know it is doable i just gotta get it done. Ill be posting here regularly again.

• 3 weeks later...

I like the routine, but that fourth day seems like a "whatever" sort of day, but that is okay! It should be modified to read: workout/hike/rock climb though . Speaking of, we should go bouldering sometime! I hear there is good stuff in Little Cottonwood Canyon (I just got a guide book for it).

The pictures are good too, it seems to me (and I know you've mentioned this) that you will be able to build massive quads if you so desire. Be happy, many of us cannot!

I'm looking forward to you updating this more often

Hey Crystal,

Thank you for stopping by my thread. I agree i think i could gain massive quads. Right now im going for a bit of muscle and to get my endurance up. I have been doing this routine for three weeks as of today and the results are phenomenal. I was using a 6 rep max routine before so switching to three sets of 12 has been a pain but a good one. I am almost back up to the amount of weight i was using for the 6 rep on 12 reps for 3 sets which to me is amazing. I would love to be as an end goal 185lbs at ten percent bodyfat. Right now i am shooting for 175lbs and 12-16 percent body fat. I am currently 171 and 20 percent or so. I have about two more months of this bulking phase and then im going to cut to see what i have gained. I am also thinking about after next week doing a 1 week cutting phase then two weeks bulk one week cutting, as my body gains fat very quickly. Not sure yet. I do know that all my clothes do not fit me so i do have a bit more fat than before on me.

You are absolutely right about the 4th day. I realized at three days i always felt like i didnt do enough and at 4 days i felt it was too much work so i threw in a purely abs day to make sure i was moving and getting some sort of exercise. I would love to go bouldering. I have never bouldered outdoors only rock climbed. Let me know when you would like to go and I am down!

Phil

I like the routine, but that fourth day seems like a "whatever" sort of day, but that is okay! It should be modified to read: workout/hike/rock climb though . Speaking of, we should go bouldering sometime! I hear there is good stuff in Little Cottonwood Canyon (I just got a guide book for it).

The pictures are good too, it seems to me (and I know you've mentioned this) that you will be able to build massive quads if you so desire. Be happy, many of us cannot!

I'm looking forward to you updating this more often

• 2 weeks later...

Note to self: No one wins the death lunge race 2008...no one. *groans* lol.

Alright so updated blog. Hopefully I am going to keep this workout log fairly updated as i am gaining a good amount of strength. Lets see before i describe today i am going to go over some things. I think as of 5 weeks i have gained around 3 lbs of muscle 2 lbs of fat or something to that effect. Which is great. I definetly feel more bulky in the back and chest. I noticed today that doing squats was easier because i have gained some trap muscles for the bar to content with. I am now consistantly doing 12 reps at 3 sets of my 6 rep max of 5 weeks ago. So yeah im doing well.

Alright now for the training blog. Today was my introduction into power style lifting or at least i think its called that. Crystal and I meet up for our first joint workout, and let me tell you she is a task master. She showed me how to do a power clean and a hanging clean. Something that will help me immensly in my workouts. I found just ask she described that i didnt feel work out for the compound movements but i am sure i will be feeling the DOMS tomorrow.

So of course what do two insane hardcore people do on there first workout meeting Squats day, because if you dont squat your not working out.

We did forward squats and regular squats. I find that forward squats are more difficult to keep proper posture. After this and some warming up learning the clean movement we did the ultimate lunge race of death. She did 30lb dumbbells and i did 25lb dumbbells. We were lunging until failure and i definitely collapse after the finish line. While Crystal is the clear winner of this race, i realized in hindsight that no one wins in the squat race. lol. We finished off with some single leg dumbbell raises for the calf and then the quad machine to just add another movement for the day. I have never used the machine on one leg at a time but it makes much more sense to do this.

I cant wait to workout with crystal again because i learned so much and it was nice having someone who is a patient teacher as well as competitive. I have some form issues to work on but having seen them in person it is more more clear as to what i should be doing in comparison to what i am currently doing. One thing is for sure i am going to incorporate light weight cleans into my warm up for my other days workouts so that i can gain familiarly with the movement.

Next workout with crystal is going to be at the university gym so i can see what my small gym is missing besides leg room.

After working out we chowed down on some vegan dinner food. I was stuffed and walking funny by the time i dropped her off.

More to come later.....

I learned the clean and the hanging cling as well as a few other things.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/vegancrystal/10Nov08workout/P1000744.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/vegancrystal/10Nov08workout/P1000751.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/vegancrystal/10Nov08workout/P1000755.jpg

muscles! yup i have them

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/vegancrystal/10Nov08workout/P1000767.jpg

my legs and back are probably my best assets

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/vegancrystal/10Nov08workout/P1000772.jpg

side arm and a picture of my vegan friend crystal the powerlifter extraordinaire.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/vegancrystal/10Nov08workout/P1000782.jpg

last but not least:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/vegancrystal/10Nov08workout/P1000779.jpg

P.s. we ate lots of food! and then some. Lol last time me and crystal got together we tag teamed a vegan food fundraiser and basically bought all the food and ate it. everyone was staring mouth agape at our food intake. Totally worth it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/vegancrystal/10Nov08workout/P1000784.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/vegancrystal/10Nov08workout/P1000785.jpg