Oi from Detroit, MI

Valente

Hi. I'm Valente and I've been a vegan for about 18 months. My journey to a vegan diet was gradual. First the severe lactose intolerance since teenagery, then a few years later, the for the taste of red meat, the tiring of poultry and fish, and finally a girlfriend raised vegetarian with which to take the final step. I'm now much more conscious of the environmental and moral benefits of a vegan lifestyle.

I'm so fortunate to have found this community after searching for ways I could optimize my diet, and gain more core strength for my favorite activity, Capoeira!

I had no idea there were so many vegan athletes; especially body builders! This forum is rich with education and love. I look forward to learning and sharing a lot.

Welcome! Although I have never tried capoeira, I am into Tae Kwon Do. It's nice to meet another martial artist!

Nice to meet you, VeganGirl! I'm a closet TKDoan. My best friend trained TKD when we were kids and would always teach me what he learned from class. My family couldn't afford the classes, but I learned a bunch, just from him! I even apply some of what I learned from him about using my hips and breathing into my Capoeira training.

Welcome Valente!

Capoeira is so much fun! I can do some moves like au batido... you should post pics here of you doing capoeira!

au batido is a pretty slick move, you must be pretty flexible. I tried it a few times, but haven't mastered it yet. I'll get some pics up soon!

Welcome Valenta. If it wasn't for the movie 'Meet the Fockers' I would have never even heard of Capoiera Funny how things work out right? Welcome to this humble yet intense community; with your wonderful and bright personality, I am certain you will enjoy your time spent reading/posting here....

Awesome hearing about your transition to veganism over the years

Welcome Valenta. If it wasn't for the movie 'Meet the Fockers' I would have never even heard of Capoiera Funny how things work out right?

Yeah, funny indeed. Capoeira is one of those arts that is all around, but often escapes notice. In the movie Oceans 12, the main villain was a thief and did a set of Capoeira moves to avoid tripping off motion detection lasers. If you search youtube, you'll probably find it.

• 3 years later...