Endy: from scrawny to brawny

So I broke up with my GF about a month and a half ago. Beautiful scene befit of a Broadway performance, no doubt. I decided I wanted to start growing into myself some more, plus also make that jump to vegan, especially since me being a vegetarian was a "liability" of some sort: now I'm turning that negative energy projected on me into motivation for being even more considerate of the world.

I really have no idea where I'm starting or what my goals are. Some stats (should I also offer international units?):

6'1"-6'2"

142 lbs (138 at start of training)

37" Chest

44" Overarm

31" Waist

36" Hips

15" Shirt size

Objectives:

*Improve relationship with body, emotion, mind

*Bulk up significantly (An ambiguous goal, I realize . . . )

*Develop myself into deciding whether I want to go on a marathon/triathlon/bodybuilding path

Current dietary regimen:

Eat six meals, usually every 2-3 hours. I definitely would like to create a better, yet simple, regimen. I don't have a lot of experience controlling my diet and seek to move that way step by step. Any help you guys can offer here is REALLY appreciated!!!!

Three meals comprised primarily of beans, rice, tofu mixed

Three meals comprised of protein bars from the store, which I think are pretty unhealthy

Current training regimen:

This is what I've been doing for the last six weeks. You can see that the running is a bit strong (I started just going around the block and have moved up, just making the transition to six miles) and the weights training is a bit weak. In fact, I just added the dips this week, so I've been doing pushups only for most of the time.

The emphasis on the running is because a friend and I challenged each other to a 10k at the end of this month. After that 10k, I'm not sure what I'll do yet.

M: Pushups 3x12, hold 15, hold 20, hold 25 secs

Chair dips 3x12, hold 15, 20, 25 secs

T: Run four miles up the mountains

W: Pushups 3x12, hold 15, hold 20, hold 25 secs

Th: Hard sprint, 1 mile

F: Pushups 3x12, hold 15, hold 20, hold 25 secs

Sa: Run 6 miles, relatively flat terrain

Su: Off

Photos (pre-workout):

Front:

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk191/EndyEndy/front.jpg

Left Side:

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk191/EndyEndy/side.jpg

Right Side:

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk191/EndyEndy/Photo22.jpg

Back:

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk191/EndyEndy/gback.jpg

Any comments/advice? From what I've read in this forum so far, you all are awesome people! I'm looking forward to getting to know you and the opportunity to offer what I can!

Edited by Endy

Hey bro,

The pics look great. You have a wonderful solid foundation to start off with! Should be easy to pack some nice muscle on that frame and even when bulking, you'll still look lean, if you so choose that route.

It sounds like your gf may have been unsuportive? That's unfortunate. It is not easy to date am omni when you are a veg. I can say that from experience. I will never ever go that route again.

Good luck on your 10k!

You know not all bars are all that bad. Most suck but some are good.

Raw Revolution, Lara Bar, Cliff Bar, are some decent examples....

Fruits are portable! And try adding in some vegetable juices/sautees/blends if you don't already.

BW exercises are a great form of resistance training. Do you have access to a gym with weights? It wouldn't be a bad idea to switch it up a little after 6 weeks although you could wait longer before mixing it up.

You could find what you're most interested in and ook to excel at that the most and still do other things.

Like myself, I wish to excel primarily at bbing yet i run races (even doign the nyc marathon in a yr or so), compete in cycling events and cycle distance as well, play many racquet sports.... it's all up to you, unless you desire to be an elite at something and other things can impede on that, like bbing to competitive elite runners and cyclists

Glad to have you here.

Thanks, man. I really appreciate your insight. You're right, too. I should start thinking about putting my butt in the gym! I think I've been lucky to make progress just on pushups, but if I want to get serious, I need to pack on the weights.

ATM, I don't have a gym membership. I went over to 24 Hour Fitness, but having worked in sales before, I felt like the pitch I was getting was more about my dollar than my fitness. Maybe it was just funny timing? I'll keep my eyes open and get into one soon.

I think the situation with my ex wasn't that she was unsupportive. She was supportive, but maybe more accepting than supportive. I think the problem was that me being vegetarian was something that made me "different" and you could feel the presence of that. I get that feeling on different levels with different people. She's a wonderful woman and I do hope things turn out well for her!

And fruits? Awesome idea. How do they help, though? This clearly shows my ignorance, but I have this mental picture of fruits not doing much in the way of muscle building?

No you weren't lucky, pushups will most definitely add size onto your frame but for optimal results, it's best to switch up routines. I mean theoretically you could stick with only pushups and just move on to weighted pushups but i suppose that would fall into the category of weight training, right?

I have never tallied just how many pushups i know of but there are also so many different varieties of them and different ways to do them, the possibilities are endless.

Yes sales people are always sales people. You just have to ignore their 'speech' and look at what the palce has to offer you and if you are satisfied with that. A 24hr joint is very appealing. My gym has a 24hr location and when i work late, it comes in handy so that i do not miss workouts. Just check out their equipment and see if it is to your liking.

Yeh the last girl i was with was an omni and she was also more 'acceptive' than supportive. She was proud of who i was but would complain about going out with me and constantly say how she wished i ate more like her. Obviously left a distaste in my mouth for going on that route ever again.

I didn't mean that fruits could supplement your protein intake but what could be a better source of simple sugars and glycogen replenishment than fruits? Granted Amino Acids and protein in general repairs and build muscle tissue but you need energy to get through your workouts and you need to replace your depleted stores of energy 'glycogen' to adequately add on lbm, what better way to do this than with fruits?

Granted some fruits have protein in them, like durian (the highest amt of protein of any fruit) but i would more recommend them for their ability to supplement your intake with quality carbohydrates and energy.

I eat fruits before during and after workouts and especially when i am doing alot of cardio so that something is fueling me. Protein to prevent muscle loss, fruits to give me energy.

They also provide you with vitamins and minerals as well as vegetables. I cannot stress how impt i feel dark green leafy veggies and herbs are to supporting proper nutritional intake.

And fruits? Awesome idea. How do they help, though? This clearly shows my ignorance, but I have this mental picture of fruits not doing much in the way of muscle building?

Fruits most certainly can build muscle; just take a look at this fruitarian www.myspace.com/veganlifeandfitness He used to post on this board as bigbwii.

Plus, he's mostly into bodyweight exercises!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm envious. I am busting my butt, and trying to cut to get down to have abs like yours! Lol! I agree with Lean I think you've got a great body type to start from. Setting a goal and a goal date helped for me. Even though I have changed my mind on what I want, I know that after my goal date I can set a new goal with a new diet, and routine if I want to. Keep posting I'm interested to see which direction you go.

You look great already and going to a gym should assist with your goals even more. I totally understand about your gym experience regarding the sales pitch. When I have gone to discuss this I always felt uneasy not only because I had to deal with their sales pitches, but because I disliked the fact that the gyms in my area generally do not post prices so I never knew if I was getting the best deal (it may have improved a bit now). But you have to sit down with the "dealers" to get a membership quote.

Anyway, just wanted to wish you the best toward your goals and also mention that I really like your online journal name. It makes me laugh.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all!

Robert - thanks for checking in! Turns out I was doing real well, got slammed by a bad illness, and had everything sent awry. But I think this is a great opportunity to take a serious look at what my game plan is now and to recalibrate. How you doing?

Dawgbert - thanks for the smile! And you're right -- I used to work in sales, odds are, you never really know what's going on. I think I'm gonna spill out the money for free weights and work with those. Probably a better return on investment there!

Funkybioped - that's a great idea! The idea of being able to change my game plan later on really boosts my confidence in moving forward. I think I'm going to focus on muscle gain now.

Katabatic and Lean and Green - in retrospect, it's interesting to read your comments. I've done nutrition reading since my original post and found what you say now really puts everything together more clearly.

Veganpotter - but I bet I'm a LONG way from your cycling ability! I'd love to have that kind of transportation flexibility as well -- don't shell out much at the pump?

Just a little inspiration for you:

Here is one of our forum members (hasn't posted in a while, back when he was a 6' 7" -140 pound omnivore.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/bob280784/meprevegan.jpg

Then he went vegan and started lifting, now he's a near 300 pound strongman competitor!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/bob280784/P1010073-2.jpg

Here is one of our forum members (hasn't posted in a while, back when he was a 6' 7" -140 pound omnivore.

Then he went vegan and started lifting, now he's a near 300 pound strongman competitor!

Holy smokes! That's quite the improvement . . . and inspiration! What was his online name?

Holy smokes! That's quite the improvement . . . and inspiration! What was his online name?

Oh, that's Jonathan, goes by Jonathan on here and on veganfitness.net where he posts more regularly.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I've more or less got my act together and seen physical improvements, it's high time I start posting regularly in this journal. Procrastination is a skill I learned all too well in school.

So what's the story? Seven pounds have packed on, plus increased vascularity abounds -- and all this despite several setbacks and false starts. My chest is more broad, and there are some pretty nice differences! People tell me they notice I'm getting bigger. This is very encouraging, and I really owe so much of the credit to the people here in this forum. All of you are an inspiration, and for this, I say THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Yesterday, I launched my new training program, a six week cycle consisting of two-week intervals, each one successively increasing in sets, reps, reduced rest time, and combination exercises. At the end of the six week cycle, I start all over again.

My diet is more of a challenge, but I have managed to take in a lot more food (nigh all vegan!) and am daily making the transition to having solid control over my food consumption. I presently have an affinity for consuming tons of tofu and lentils. Just started reading The Thrive Diet.

Begin easy phase: weeks 1,2 of 6

YESTERDAY [uPPER BODY]:

Modified Compound Superset #1 (2 sets, 12-15 reps, 90 sec rest after each exercise)

One-arm Rows (30 lbs)

Pushups (N/A)

Modified Compound Superset #2 (2 sets, 12-15 reps, 90 sec rest after each exercise)

Two-arm Rows (50 lbs)

Dumbbell Flys (20 lbs)

Modified Compound Superset #3 (2 sets, 12-15 reps, 90 sec rest after each exercise)

Dumbbell Curls (20 lbs)

Lying Dumbbell Triceps Extensions (20 lbs)

Modified Compound Superset #4 (2 sets, 12-15 reps, 90 sec rest after each exercise)

Hammer curls (20 lbs)

Overhead Dumbbell Triceps Extensions (20 lbs)

TODAY [LOWER BODY]:

Modified Compound Superset #1 (2 sets, 12-15 reps, 90 sec rest after each exercise)

Dumbbell Squats (25 lbs)

Lunges (25 lbs)

Modified Compound Superset #2 (2 sets, 12-15 reps, 90 sec rest after each exercise)

Ballet Squats (25 lbs)

Stiff-legged Deadlifts (50 lbs)

Modified Compound Superset #3 (2 sets, 12-15 reps, 90 sec rest after each exercise)

Dumbbell Calf Raises [one leg] (25 to 30 lbs)

Dumbbell Shoulder Press (15 lbs)

Modified Compound Superset #4 (2 sets, 12-15 reps, 90 sec rest after each exercise)

Dumbbell Calf Raises [two legs] (30 lbs)

Bent-over Lateral Raises (5 lbs)

I woke up and noticed my body was a little more worn down than I thought was healthy. Cancelled my planned 20 minute run and stuck with abdominals only. Since I do a lot of sports activity during the week, I've likely exceeded my cardiovascular requirement, anyhow. Tomorrow is an off day, so I'm curious to see how I'll be by Monday.

Wondering if I'm noticing a small fat deposit around the rectus abdominus. Would make sense, since I am trying to bulk.

Superset #1 (2 sets, 25 reps, rest 90 secs after completion of each superset)

Crunches (N/A)

Lying Leg Raises (N/A)

Today's upper body workout was the same as my last one. Triceps were a little sore, so I cut the weights in half in the hopes of flushing blood through them, but not working them intensely.

Definitely noticing progress! And that ROCKS!

More progress. Today was legs day, weeks 1-2 of 6. A lot of good news: I upgraded pounds on squats by +10 (+5 x 2 barbells), deadlifts +10 (+5 x 2), and calves +10 (+5 x 2).

Not as amazing news: I noticed I was doing poor form with barbell raises for the deltoids, so I changed the pounds by -5 from each barbell and got better results.

Officially started my weights log, and am putting in old information from last week in there as well.

I also tried seitan, chicken style. The seitan so far seems good, but the "chicken style" made it lose appeal.