tuc's training and eating topic (back in business!)

Thanks Zack! How long do you think it will take until you can work out with it at full strenght?

You are far ahead me in muscle size and lots of things, I'd be really glad if I would reach your current condition...

Look how pathetic I am at squatting. I was too tired yesterday to squat so today I took some really deep ass-to-the-grass squats:

- 5 x 52kg

- 5 x 64kg

- 5 x 72kg

- 4 x 80kg

- 6 x 64kg

I trained alone so I had to be very careful and that's why the low amount of reps but hey, at least I was deep squatting at 80kg (176lbs) for a couple of times! As long as I make progress I don't mind even if other people lift more than me. I've learned to like squats so I think I'll be a proper squatter some day. It may take years..

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wed 28 May rest

Thu 29 May

- Bench press, barbell: warmup @ 50kg, then 4+1f @ 84kg, 2+1f @ 84kg, 6+1f @ 76kg, 3+1f @ 76kg

- Bicep curls @ 20kg dumbbell: 3 sets per arm, 7-9 reps per set

- Standing tricep extension @ 20kg dumbbell 3 x 10-11 reps per set

- Bent-over barbell row @ 58 kg, 3 x 15 reps

I was also tested with InBody 720. Some stats:

- Body weight 78,7kg

- Weight without fat 66,9kg

- 15 % body fat

- Perfectly balanced legs (30g muscle mass difference (10,70kg right and 10,73kg left)

- 120g muscle mass diffference between arms (3,78kg right, 3,90kg left)

- 29,4kg muscle in torso

- Very low visceral fat value (which is very good thing!)

All diagnoses were in normal boundaries, some muscle indexes were near "excellent". Finess index: 84 points.

-> I'm healthy as a horse and I'm already well ahead average in muscle mass and I have a decent body fat %

Next 3 days: I wrote a scientific article about automated dose dispensing in Finland and I didn't have time or energy to train.

Mon 2. June

- Bench press, barbell: warmup @ 50kg, then 2 x 9 x 74kg. I almost got 10th rep in the first set, it was REALLY close!

- Deep squats, barbell: warmup @ 50kg, then 2 x 7 x 76kg.

- Bent-over barbell row, curl bar: 2 x 15-17 @ ~ 60kg.

- Bicep curls 3 x 7 x 40kg.

According to the 1 rep max calculator 9 reps @ 74kg should mean a 1 rep @ 95 kg and 10 reps @ 74 = 1 rep @ 99kg. I think I'm making a progress here since my 1 rep best so far is 92kg!

In case you noticed I haven't updated my log for a couple of days, here's the reason:

I am attending in summer camps for children in which I teach breakdance (or bboying, if you want to call it properly). I was 4 days in a row in one camp from thursday 5th to sunday 8th and I danced a LOT during that time and taught ~ 150 kids the basics of bboying. I knew it was going to be hard and that's why I took 2 days off from weight training before the camp.

Now I have 1 day to recover and tomorrow I will be attending another summer camp for 4 days. Another 150-200 kids to teach.

If you didn't know, teaching bboying is very hard work, especially in the summer camps in which I show a huge variety of different moves in one lesson. And I do the same thing in every lesson. I thought about lifting some weights yesterday after I got home but I was too tired. I have to stay super focused because a friend of mine who is a trained clothing designer made me a couple of very cool vegan shirts which I'm keeping in all the lessons and I want to wear my vegan outfit proudly.

Already in the first camp a couple of kids, a couple of teenager girls who are councellors for the kids as well as some adults asked me a some things about veganism. I just told them that I am stronger than ever, I feel light and agile and I recover better than I did when I was a lacto-ovo vegetarian. Everyone was very friendly (usually at least some people are hostile to vegans if they feel guilty because they eat meat) and the kitchen staff in the camp made me very good vegan food (well, low in protein but I had my supplements with me -> no problem).

I will be back in weight training on weekend. Hopefully I won't lose all my strength because of this almost 2 week period without weight training...

You won't lost actual strength in two weeks, maybe some neuromuscular adaptation, but that is no big deal. You lifts might be slightly low the first workout or two, but will be right back up there. I am sure all that bboying is doing some good for your physique.

I had huge amounts of lessons this week. On thursday I had 7 groups, I danced about 6 hours. In total I had + 20 hours of bboying in 9 days. I'm still a bit sore from all that spinning.

cubby2112, you were right. I didn't lose any of my strength:

Sun 15th Jun

Back in action with loads of motivation! I lost some fat because of huge amount of dancing. However, this is how my workout is going:

- Bench press, barbell: warmup @ 50kg, then 9 reps @ 76kg (pb, equals ~ 98kg 1 rep max), 6 @ 76kg.

- Incline bench press, barbell: 2 x 9 reps @ 52kg.

- Bent-over barbell rows, curl bar: 3 x 16 @ 60kg.

- Bicep curls, curl bar: 10 + 9 + 7 reps @ 40kg.

Tomorrow I'll punish my lower back and legs.

Mon 16th June

- Deep squats, barbell: warmup @ 50kg, then ~ 7 @ 64kg, 2 x 5 @ 76kg.

- Deadlifts, barbell: warmup @ 50kg, then some reps @ 92kg, then 5 @ 116, 5 @ 124, 5 @ 128.

That's it for today. I think I'll start working out dl's and squats together apart from the rest of the body since they're so hard that I can't do them after other hard moves such as bench press but I still want to push to the max in other moves.

On wednesday I got 2 wisdom teeth removed and I've been through hell after that. My cheek hurt so much that I had to eat almost 10 x 400mg ibuprofein per day and I still almost cried because of the pain. Horrible!

(btw, it cost 19,50 to have the teeth removed, how much it would cost in the U.S.? I got treatment from one dentist and two nurses for an hour!)

Today was the first day I could train after that. Hard workout!

Sun 22nd June

- Deadlifts: Warmup @ 40kg, then 5 @ 92kg, 5 @ 116kg, 5 @ 134,4 and 1 @ 167,4 (PB! And it was EASY! Once again my barbell was so full I couldn't get more stuff in it )

- Deep squats: 3 x 10 @ 54kg

- Bench press: Warmup @ 54kg then 6, 6, 5 @ 74kg (bad bench press day )

- Bent-over barbell rows: 3 x 12-15 @ 60kg

- Bicep curls wit a curl bar: 6, 5, 4 @ 40kg (bad bicep day )

I was very tired after the hard deadlifts, that explains the bad results in other moves. A good workout still, I really feel like I did something properly.

Next 3 days: Rest. A lot of pain in my cheek because of the removed wisdom teeth.

Thu 26th June

I got better medication, the pain is almost gone -> workout!

- Bench press with barbell: warmup @ 50kg, then 4 + 5 + 3 reps @ 80kg. Once again I worked out alone so no forced reps this time and no possibility to fail reps or I'll hurt myself.

- Bicep culrs with curl bar: 6 + 5 + 5 reps @ 45kg

- Shoulder presses with dumbbells, 5 + 5 + 5 reps @ 2 x 20kg

- Bent-over barbell row, 15 + 15 + 15 @ 60kg

No legs today, I have to teach b-boying tomorrow to a bunch of taekwondo kids and I want to show them my best.

Dude, I used to bboy! Haven't done it in a while, but man did I love it.

Weird question. So here in the US, we're doing weights by 5 lbs increments (10 lbs, 15, 20, 25, etc . . ). I see you're doing kilograms -- how does that all work? Do you have increments by 2.5 kgs or what?

Usually there are 1.25 kg, 2.5kg, 5kg, 10kg, 15kg and 20kg plates (I have 2 of each except 10kg and 15kg) but since my home gym is a pile of cheap second hand stuff I also have 2, 4, 6, and 8 kg vinyl plates four pieces each and 2 x 21kg and 2 x 9.2kg raw metal

plates (some guy made them himself).

Barbell is 20kg if it's long 50mm borehole and 10kg if it's shorter 30.5mm borehole. A curl bar is ~ 8kg and dumbbell bars 2kg each.

Easiest way to see how much I'm using to work out is to use google: just google for example "80 kg in lbs" (without quotes) and you'll see how many lbs I'm using.

Great thing to hear you've been doing bboying. I think we need a bboying topic where we can discuss about it more!

Sun 29th June

I was kinda exhausted after I helped my friend to move. It took 6 hours but I still worked out a bit.

- Bench press, barbell: warmup 10 @ 50kg, then 1 @ 80kg, 1 @ 90kg, f @ 94kg , 5 @ 80kg, 4 @ 80kg, 5 @ 74kg

After that the side my right shoulder started to hurt a bit so I chose to continue with moves that won't make it hurt more:

- Deadlifts: warmup @ 50kg, then 5 @ 112kg, 2 x 10 @ 112kg

- Deep squats: 3 x 10 @ 56kg

- Shrugs, curl bar 3 x 15 @ 60kg

- Bicep curls, curl bar 8 + 7 + 6 @ 40kg

Not my best train since I felt weak all the time but at least something.

I have to get more of these homemade weights and send L&G a couple. I will add pics of them soon.

Mon 30th June

If I'm not dancing, I'm working out!

I took more of what I thought went weak yesterday.

- Deep squats 3 x 10 @ 60kg

- Bicep curls, curl bar: 10 + 8 + 8 @ 40kg

I have to take it easy with my shoulder so I chose not to do anything else.

Tue 1st July

Not dancing!!!

- Bench press, barbell: 10 @ 50kg for warmup, then 12 + 9 + 7 @ 70kg. 1 rep max calculator said that 12 x 70kg = 1 x 101kg but I didn't even lift 94kg in last session. (I failed at technique and not strength, I realized it today and that's why I took a bit longer sets than usually)

- Took a few pics so that I could update my avatar. What do you think about the new one?

- Shoulder press, curl bar: 3 x 10 @ 40kg

- Lateral raises, barbells: 3 x 15 @ 5.5kg (I took _very_ slow reps up and down and concentrated on doing the moves 100 % properly... I never thought that it could be so hard with so small weights!!)

Tomorrow I'll meet a new vegan training buddy, he's coming at my place and we'll lift some heavy s**t.

And here's something for L&G...

HOMEMADE weights!

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk250/tuc_finland/DSC04425.jpg

That's such a tease bro! I want to maximize the pic and sling my computer around but I don't know how well it will work afterwards

The new avatar looks like a superhero comic book cover!

Have a blast with your new vegan training buddy and toss those homeade weights around for me would ya?

Haha, tucinator... I'm not that big yet. Well, thanks anyway pals.

Wed 2nd July

Once again, not dancing! Yeah buddy!!

I think we'll be training quite often with my new training buddy, Jussi. He practices MMA but he hasn't trained with free weights a lot before, mostly using his own bodyweight. I taught him some basic moves and we had a lot of fun. A great guy, vegan for over 2 years already. I have to get him to use this board too.

- Deadlifts: warmup @ 50kg, then 1 @ 92kg, 1 @ 110kg, 1 @ 130kg, 1 @ 170kg (NEW PB), 1 @ 172kg (379lbs) (NEW PB!) (still easy, I think I'll take 180kg soon (about 400lbs)!!!

- Bicep curls, 12 + 11 + 10 @ 36kg (longer sets and lower weight than before, just to test how it feels like)

- Bent-over barbell row: 4 x 10-12 @ 78kg (this went well I suppose)

I'm not training squats or presses today so I'll call it a day. Now a lot of food!

Thu 3rd July Rest

Fri 4th July I tried some bench press but failed miserably. I also swam a bit.

Sat 5th July

- Bench press, barbell: some warmup, then 1 @ 66kg, 1 @ 84 kg and 1 @ 94kg (=207 lbs) PB!!!! then 5 + 4 + 3 @ 84kg

- Deep squats, barbell: some warmup @ 50kg, then 3 x 10 @ 70kg

- Bicep curls, curl bar: 11 + 9 + 9 @ 40kg

I'll save the rest for the evening or tomorrow, the deep squats are really hard for me because of my weak legs.

Congrats on the PB my friend. Everytime I see 'pb' on a blog, I think peanut butter like PB&J, as alot of people call it here

207lbs of PB???? You'd make Potter proud

From day one I knew you were going to be one of the elite vegan bber's as you can pack down food like no other and aren't afraid to EAT which is the perfect complement to your bulking sessions.

I recall you writing you wish you were able to go into a cutting phase like me but didn't think you were able to as you wanted to build more. Tuc, bulking gets addictive, the strength, size, mass rush or lifting heavy and going up and up and up in poundages. Looking at you body, you have definitely put on a good amount of bulk and muscle and if you ever wantred to shred it up, you most certainly could. Don't sell yourself short.

Nice bench press my friend, way to pump that homemade iron

Hehe, we'll see about that elite thing in a few years. As long as I can give motivation to others towards veganism and being a fit vegan I'm happy with what I'm doing.

Also, I think a cutting phase may be a good idea next year. Because L&G is doing it right and HEALTHY I'll go with similar diet when I start getting ripped.

Sun 6th July

- Bicep curls (more since I didn't get enough of it yesterday), curl bar: 7 + 5 + 5 +5 @ 44kg

- Bent-over barbell rows: 8 + 8 @ 84kg, 4 + 3 @ 100kg (that's 220 lbs baby!)

- Shoulder press, curl bar: 5 + 4 + 5 @ 50kg

I have to save some for tomorrow since my new training buddy is coming at my place again. Today I trained with a bunch (3) of vegan girls. When they were exhausted after doing some moves and they were all lying in my bed I realized that I have done something right in my life. When your bed is full of vegan girls you've done something right. Period.

Obviously I'm not having sexy time with with more than one special vegan girl but I still think the situation was funny.

Also, I ate a huge amount of whole grain spaghetti with hemp & seeds along with other stuff. I'll be a big man when I grow up.

Today I trained with a bunch (3) of vegan girls. When they were exhausted after doing some moves and they were all lying in my bed I realized that I have done something right in my life. When your bed is full of vegan girls you've done something right. Period.

Somehow I'm not surprised Zack found that rather amusing.

Mon 7th July

- Bench press, barbell: warmup @ 50kg, then 1 x 80kg, 1+2 forced @ 90kg, 4 @ 80kg, 5 @ 80kg

- Incline bench press, barbell: 15 @ 50kg, 2 x 12 @ 52kg

- Standing tricep extensions, dumbbell: 10 + 8 + 8 + 8 @ 22kg

- Shrugs: 15 @ 66kg, 10 @ 84kg, 2 x 6-7 @ 100kg

I also tried to take photos for the shoulder contest but I don't know how to pose so the photos looked like crap.

Wed 9th July

Still, not dancing. I feel stronger every day but my weight isn't going anywhere. It's somewhere between 77-80kg. I think I just have to EAT MORE! Anyway, another training session with my new training buddy.

- Deadlifts, barbell: warmup @ 50kg, 5 @ 92kg, 5 @ 130kg, 3 @ 140kg

- Bench press, babrell: warmup 12 @ 50kg, 12 + 9 + 9 (a bit help in the last 2" in the last rep) + 7 @ 72kg

- Bicep curls, dumbbell: 3 x 4-5 per set per arm @ 22kg (48.5 lbs)

- Dips (woohoo, I realized that I have a furniture which can be used for dips, check pic below!): 15 + 10 + 10 @ bw

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk250/tuc_finland/DSC04443.jpg

That used to be my computer desk along with a fancy circular glass. Now that I bought a new (~ 100 years old) desk I use this one for dips.

I'm so dumb... I should have realized that a LOT before!!!

Thu + Fri: rest

Sat 12th July

Once again I started working out alone. No problem, I just put some goa trance in my audio machine and pump to the beat.

- Deep squats, barbell: warmup @ 52kg then 6 + 6 + 5 @ 84kg (185lbs). I'm getting stronger!

- Bench press, barbell: warmup @ 50kg, then 5 + 6 + 4 @ 84kg. I'm REALLY happy because of the best set. 6 @ 185lbs should mean 1 @ 220lbs. We'll see about that soon.

- Incline bench press, barbell: 8 + 8 + 6 @ 60kg. I also planned to do standing press but I was too tired after 6 sets of presses already. :/

- Standing tricep extensions, dumbbell: 15 + 12 + 10 @ 22kg

- Bicep curls, curl bar: 6 + 5 + 5 + 5 @ 46kg

- Dips: 12 + 10 + 6 @ bw (ok the last set was so bad that I know I've run out of power -> time for recovery drink)