Gasp, not a vegan

ljk11

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mmm....chicken butt....

I'd think the menstrual cycle would be what caught your mind

I think the biggest thing is just that it perpetuates the idea of using animals for food. It perpetuates a nonvegan ideology and causes others to be more likely to continue eating meat/supporting factory farming, etc.

Good point.

Hey, here's what I said in another thread about eggs, which includes free-range......

Doesn't the term Free Range mean that they get to walk around and aren't in captivity?

I didn't know about the other things you mentioned...

I thought it was just the hen lays the eggs and people pick it up.

Free range means they have more room to walk about in, but they're kept within the confines of the farm, they're not allowed to go wherever they want. So it's still captivity I mean, if someone put you in the same situation as the chickens, you'd call it captivity; you're not free.

Free range means they have more room to walk about in, but they're kept within the confines of the farm, they're not allowed to go wherever they want. So it's still captivity I mean, if someone put you in the same situation as the chickens, you'd call it captivity; you're not free.

Well are they outside, not in some barn? Can they walk throughout the entire farmland? Or is it within a hen house?

It depends from farm to farm how they treat them and how big their area is. However, regardless of how big it is, they're not allowed out. Like if you had a prisoner, and he was allowed to walk around the whole prison, he's still prisoner he can't leave the prison.

It depends from farm to farm how they treat them and how big their area is. However, regardless of how big it is, they're not allowed out. Like if you had a prisoner, and he was allowed to walk around the whole prison, he's still prisoner he can't leave the prison.

AH ok thanks for the clarification. I do not know how hens are in their natural habitat, sadly I have never seen such a thing! There are some farms that do care a lot about their animals though, the family owned farms of course, which are getting pushed out by corps.

The place i get my eggs from, the man selling them said he's been to the farm and it's a small, independent local one that is the old-fashioned type, how things 'used' to be before factory farming became the norm, and that the chickens have a lot of room.

Still, I suppose it's not optimal...

• 3 weeks later...

All Zen, I have seen you on the O2 board...your avatar is black and white and red, right? It's some sort of foreign character.

Yes, I am on that board...you are not imagining things.

I love vegetarian food and have never been completely vegetarian but things are moving that way more and more ... I don't eat meat actually but I do eat fish.

Vegan would be a real challenge because egg whites are one of the few things that don't make me ill that ARE protein rich and are NOT meat... My stomach is crazy...

I do buy organic free range eggs from a non factory farm...

Well, I can use some suggestions....

I will admit to being a little selfish here....I have a nasty digestive system. Egg whites don't upset it and are a great protein source.

I like the fact they're low fat, too...

What is a tasty, convenient low fat source of cheap vegan protein?

Anyone!!?

Thanks flanders, I appreciate it.

I don't think you'll find something that fits those criteria, egg whites are notorious for being one of the best sources of protein. But you can get all the protein you need without eggs. If you are really concerned by the amount of protein you require, you can look at all the other food you eat, and work out how much protein you're getting from each and how many calories and fat etc. I don't believe you will fall apart and your muscles will turn to dust if you stop eating eggs

Another way to think of it is, at the very worst, which is very unlikely anyway, you can eat more of a different food with more calories and / or more fat, and the same amount of protein, and then you can do a little more cardio? Not sure if this is logical, but it sounds it. Personally, I don't think this is a necessary approach. How much protein do you aim for, what other foods are you able to digest?

I have a nasty digestive system. Egg whites don't upset it and are a great protein source.

What do you mean by "nasty". What does not upset it?

I do not agree that it is a great source for protein. as I wrote in another topic: "Just don`t worry about protein. The whole debate is just waste of time. If you eat a great variaty of vegan UNPROCESSED food it is just not possible to get to little protein. When you get informed how the whole "high-quality-protein-debate" started (2 scientist, some rats and egg protein ) about 100 years or so ago, you will recognise that wasting your time with thinking about it is rather silly... "

I like the fact they're low fat, too...

It is low fat, you are right. But looking here will show you that it has only 10,9 % protein. Tofu has 10,4. And it is plant based meaning better for your health and everything else...

What is a tasty, convenient low fat source of cheap vegan protein?

Anyone!!? See above...

Thanks flanders, I appreciate it.

You are welcome.

I have a nasty digestive system. Egg whites don't upset it and are a great protein source.

By nasty, I mean many foods upset my whole digestive system. It becomes a challenge to eat. Right now I'm back into the "I'd rather be hungry than deal with the results of what happens when I eat." (booo)

I've looked into things for many years and it's a whole other story. My GP hasn't been all that helpful. Soon I'm seeing a very good doctor who I have been referred to who I'm really confident will figure me out. She is renowned for it and has helped a lot of people get their lives back so to speak.

I've learned through a lot of experimenting that I should avoid wheat, oats, gluten, and pretty much all grains. I don't know why but they kill me. Dairy is out (a non issue here!) as well.

Well, here is what I can eat without getting basically incapacitated by cramps, gas, bloating and a lot of digestive, er "issues":

eggs, fish, chicken (clearly unvegan)

-some fruit (not mangoes, not pineapple - darn, they're so good)

-cooked vegetables (broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, etc. and I LOVE veggies)

- squash and sweet potatoes

-Soy protein powder isolate

-Tofu - however I hear too much soy has its own health pitfalls

- tempeh / LOVE IT

- hemp protein (but it's so grainy....can you help?)

- Beans and lentils in moderation -

-healthy fats like nuts and good oils

- Normal things like spices, seasonings, miso, vinegar, mustard etc...

I'm a great cook and am willing to spend time preparing things.

Please do inform me about how the debate started. Why do bodybuilders/physique athletes place so much emphasis on high protein if it really doesn't matter? I agree first and foremost is to eat ENOUGH calories, but doesn't the relative ratio of the macronutrients also play a key role in body composition/muscle recovery? I am interested in being unbrainwashed about the protein. I do think it's important to get some at each meal, I find if you eat all carbs and nothing else that you get hungry waaaay faster... no? Doesn't protein slow the digestion of the carbs?

If you eat a great variaty of vegan UNPROCESSED food it i

s just not possible to get to little protein. When you get informed how the whole "high-quality-protein-debate" started (2 scientist, some rats and egg protein ) about 100 years or so ago, you will recognise that wasting your time with thinking about it is rather silly... "

Where do you get 10.9%?

I see 48 cals out of 52 cals from protein for egg whites...that's over 90% from cals from protein

Whereas the tofu has 36 out of 96 cals from protein, meaning less than half?

It is low fat, you are right. But looking here will show you that it has only 10,9 % protein. Tofu has 10,4. And it is plant based meaning better for your health and everything else...

By nasty, I mean many foods upset my whole digestive system. It becomes a challenge to eat. Right now I'm back into the "I'd rather be hungry than deal with the results of what happens when I eat." (booo)

I've looked into things for many years and it's a whole other story. My

Lauren,

The whole eating thing - something that so many of us take for granted - must be such a challenge/pain in the ass for you. I sympathize with your situation and admire your efforts to eat more compassionately under your very difficult circumstances.

peace

Thanks, yes it's a pain in the butt. But there are a lot of worse things that could happen to me. I'm alive, right?

Thanks for your support. You show a real passion for your convictions and your (and others') posts really open my eyes to what I never really thought about what happens in certain industries. I wasn't totally oblivious (I've read Diet for a new America, Fast Food Nation and am pretty conscious of my consumer habits) but really never thought about some things...

Cheers

I've looked into things for many years and it's a whole other story. My GP hasn't been all that helpful. Soon I'm seeing a very good doctor who I have been referred to who I'm really confident will figure me out. She is renowned for it and has helped a lot of people get their lives back so to speak.

I've learned through a lot of experimenting that I should avoid wheat, oats, gluten, and pretty much all grains. I don't know why but they kill me. Dairy is out (a non issue here!) as well.

Well, here is what I can eat without getting basically incapacitated by cramps, gas, bloating and a lot of digestive, er "issues":

- tempeh / LOVE IT

Please do inform me about how the debate started. Why do bodybuilders/physique athletes place so much emphasis on high protein if it really doesn't matter? I agree first and foremost is to eat ENOUGH calories, but doesn't the relative ratio of the macronutrients also play a key role in body composition/muscle recovery? I am interested in being unbrainwashed about the protein. I do think it's important to get some at each meal, I find if you eat all carbs and nothing else that you get hungry waaaay faster... no? Doesn't protein slow the digestion of the carbs?

If you eat a great variaty of vegan UNPROCESSED food it i

s just not possible to get to little protein. When you get informed how the whole "high-quality-protein-debate" started (2 scientist, some rats and egg protein ) about 100 years or so ago, you will recognise that wasting your time with thinking about it is rather silly... "

In my idiotic opinion, your diet sounds fine to me, and I really believe that if you cut out the eggs, chicken and fish, you wouldn't find yourself lacking protein. You have a great variety of proteins in your diet, and especially with isolate powder, you can easily get what you need in my opinion. But don't necessarily listen to me, I'm not a profesh bodybuilder or nutrition expert. Maybe you could try it for say 2 or 3 weeks, without the eggs and chicken and fish, and see if you notice fatigue etc? I can't imagine this would happen

Yes, MEAT definitely has to go -- no matter what, unless one is in a life or death situation.

Here is what fuels my passion Lauren. Please view this in it's entirety. It is only about 12 minutes long, but something that all consumers should be aware of:

http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/Prefs.asp?video=meet_your_meat

Good luck in your transition to be as vegan as possible. We are always here for you when you need support.

I think I'd be fine - Richard...

I just get tired of having soy isolate (bleck) shakes so often. (puretrim is tasty but five bucks vs. 50 cents...when I have a mortage...can't do that...)

Does soy have health risks if consumed in too large a quantity?

I add cinnamon and make it like 'pudding'...I can deal with it but some days it's like...GAAAAAG me.....no more protein powder...

That really is a bad situation! I hope the doctor is able to help!

Be sure: You really do not need them!

- tempeh / LOVE IT

When I look at this list I really do not see the problem. You can get all your nutrients (yes protein also ) from the things it contains.

Please do inform me about how the debate started. Why do bodybuilders/physique athletes place so much emphasis on high protein if it really doesn't matter?

Here are some interesting links which authosrs explain the whole debate very good:

http://www.afpafitness.com/articles/ProteinRequie.htm

http://www.fatfree.com/FAQ/protein-myths

http://www.vegansociety.com/html/food/nutrition/protein.php

http://www.charliesgym.info/wst_page2.html

Also read this. Maybe it opens your eyes in a more scientific way...

Where do you get 10.9%?

I see 48 cals out of 52 cals from protein for egg whites...that's over 90% from cals from protein.

Whereas the tofu has 36 out of 96 cals from protein, meaning less than half?

The % is calculated from grams. Maybe if you take calories in consideration of course tofu has less calories-% from protein. But absolutely it has 10,4 % Protein and additionally healthy non-animal fats and other indegrients. Do not get to concerned about that whole tofu-is-unhealthy-debate. It is shown over and pver again that soy protects from many deseases.

Nevertheless you can leave out soy as well. Just remember: Eat enough, eat a geat variety of fresh fruit, vegs, nuts and sprouts and stop worrying so much about getting enough. Just Enjoy eating.