MMA Weekly: Mac Danzig on the Clay Guida fight

Excerpt:

MMAWeekly: First off, Mac, can you give us an injury update?

Mac Danzig: I actually suffered the knee injury in the middle of the (Mark Bocek) fight. I tore a bunch of muscles in my knee, and had a partial tear of a ligament. I’ve jut been healing it up and taking it easy. I moved my girlfriend in with me, took a few photography trips for myself, and now I’m just preparing to get back in there. It’s getting to the point where I’m eight weeks out (from my next fight) and I can start pushing hard.

The injury was slower to heal than I thought it would be, but it will be fine for this fight, unless something crazy happens. I should be good to go.

MMAWeekly: You mention your upcoming fight. For fans that haven’t heard yet, tell us what’s upcoming.

Mac Danzig: It’s going to be me and Clay (Guida) at a UFC Fight Night in September. I guess it’s going to be in Omaha, Neb. I’m not sure what spot our fight is going to be on the card. I’ve heard rumors that it might be the main event, co-main event or just a regular fight on the card – I don’t know. None of that really matters to me; I’m just really looking forward to fighting him.

This is the first time in a long time that I’ve been very excited about the opponent and match-up. I think from a fan’s perspective it’s an awesome fight. If I was a fan watching, I’d want to see it.

I have no animosity towards him, I have a lot of respect for him – it’s just one of those things where he’s an awesome competitor and I can’t wait to get in there to fight him. It’s a huge fight for me. It’s the biggest one I’ve had and I’m looking forward to it.

MMAWeekly: Do you think this is the fight that represents that next step up for you on your way to a lightweight title shot?

Mac Danzig: Yeah, definitely. I feel he’s that gatekeeper to the Top 10 or Top 5 in the lightweight division. I think he’s put himself in that position by being one of the best fighters in the UFC. He’s had a couple really close decisions and that (Roger) Huerta loss set him back a little bit. Those minor setbacks have stopped him from actually fighting for the title, but he’s right up there.

The UFC is throwing him at me to see what I can do. If I get past him that automatically puts me in a position where everyone knows that I’m the real deal and I’m ready to make a run for the title in another year or two. If I don’t get past him, it’s one of those things where it definitely sets me back.

He’s a wrestler, but he doesn’t stall, and he’s just 100 percent intensity all the time, so it should be fun. I think I’m the smarter fighter, more technical, and I know I can beat him. I’m 100 percent confident; I wouldn’t have taken it if I didn’t think I could win.

Full interview:

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=6603&zoneid=13

Good to hear I can watch him on TV. I like how Mac stays busy all the time in the ring., The guy hits anytiing you leave expose. Ribs , thighs, stomach, shoulder, I think I have seen him elbow just about everything.

Edited by pazios2002

wow, thanks for the heads up on this. i think Mac is right, if he gets past Clay Guida, he will be seen as a legit contender. i am also a fan of Guida, just because win or lose he is always pressing action. never a boring fight with Guida. and of course Danzig loves the action as well. this should be a great fight.

• 2 weeks later...