Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 807 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 54  Next
 Post subject: Re: a new start
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:10 am 
Elephant

2.25 mls took 23 mins today, with 50 yds of strides in the first half of the final stretch. I struggled for air until my hr reached 175, where I stayed for the entire run. I'm pretty sure that's about the max hr at which I can safely train. I'm going to clean up the diet a bit to accelerate the weight loss and bring the hr down, then I can speed up to 20 mins for the 2.25 mls and move on to 2.5 mls.
With yesterday's kraut dinner I had steamed corn, later I had potato chips with houmus, a beer and finally a Dr Weir bananamana bar. This morning I had a soymilk/banana/almond butter smoothy and the multi before running, and now I'll have a glass of psylium before some Chinese dumplings.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:38 am 
Elephant

Too much food last night. Mung/tomato soup, marinated gluten rolls, tortilla chips and salsa, WW/almond butter, fruit spread. :(
I need to do more stretching before and after running and more greens.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:58 am 
Elephant

WW/marg chai was yesterday's breakfast. Tofu in spicy Asian basil rice, masala potato cutlet, 3x hash browns, cherries, puffed wheat w/rice milk was way more than needed to finish yesterday's eating. Almond butter on WW, multi, chai/w choc soymilk before this mornings run.

Added another lap today and more stretches before hand. I realize I've been getting tighter as I'd only done a couple quick stretches before previous runs. Keeping my heart rate in the 150s meant taking 30 minutes to run 2 1/2 mls, rarely did I pass 160, and then just for a moment. I ran 50 yds of strides twice on the final lap, which only increased my hr a few bpm.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:08 pm 
Elephant

Yesterday I had mung-tomato soup and papadam. Later a WW bagel, some sizzlean sausage and a homegrown lettuce salad with various sprouts, o/v
Today WW/pb/vegan cheese and chai for breakfast. Multi. Lunch was garbonzos w/garlic, tortilla chips. Psylium, more chai.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:08 pm 
Gorilla

Just popping in to let you know I'm routing for you John V.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:28 pm 
Elephant

Ran 2.5 mls in 30 mins again. It was hard to slow myself enough to stay in the 160s and I didn't drop into the 150s after the 2nd lap. The late afternoon Sun was blazing, though it's only 78f. (66% humidity) In consideration of the recent mentions of the Sun factor here, I'll conclude: Earlier in the day and less Sun make my run a lot easier both for HR and effort expended. I need to further improve my stretching routines, though I've improved a little.
Lentil soup, mung sprouts w o/v, a rice milk-banana smoothy with orange, ww toast avo/mung sprouts/mustard sandwich finished yesterday. Today's been oatmeal, chai, multi, banana, bananamana bar, smart dogs, an orange, soy milk banana smoothy. Now I'm going to have some psylium, then chai.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:16 pm 
Elephant

Forgot to post yesterday!
Wed finished w/ mung sprouts & o/v, steamed cabbage w/marg, ww/almond-butter/vegan cheese.
Yesterday cream of wheat & marg, chai, papadam & vegan cheese, 2 Dr Weil bars, ban/soymilk smoothy, hash browns, samosa turnover (white flour), 100% rye w/veg cheese/onion, rye/pb. (Too much!)
Today, chai, psylium, (no breakfast) falafel sandwich. Next OJ!

2.5 mls took 30 minutes again today. The Sun was brutal at 2pm. My HR stayed in the 150s after the 2nd lap, rarely hitting 160, except for during paces. (2 x 50 yds in the final lap) It was hard to pick up the pace at all. My HR was down notably from the last run, which was of equal duration and distance, however.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:47 am 
Elephant

Rye/alf o/v sandwich, OJ, 4 tofurky kielbasa w/cabbage yesterday. Chai, ww/almond butter, multi so far today. I'm wondering if I'll need to rest an extra day tomorrow, so I can heal up. I've had an increasing problem with the left inner hip/pelvis this week and feel old getting up from not moving for a while. I need more stretches!

Post subject: Re: sweat
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:59 am 
Finch

John V wrote:
What kind of jokes do vegans like?
(corny)

John, this is a really terrible joke.

I liked it so much that I swiped it. I've already gotten several people to groan today. Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:36 pm 
Elephant

Took the day off from my scheduled running to allow my hip to recover, which isn't very bad, but has been warning me for several runs. I read a lot of The Complete Idiots Guide to Running by Bill Rogers.
Yesterday I had alf sprout/onion/mustard/ww sandwich, black bean soup, potato-yam homefries, 1/2 a stout, 1 dr Weir bar, a lot of greasy, salty home made tortilla chips and salsa. Today I had choclate chai and psylium in the morning, then an ear of steamed corn and broccoli w/marg, 1/2 a pack of gimelean sausage, a big salad of homegrown lettuce, mung sprouts, carrots, o/v.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:51 pm 
Elephant

Another day off from running, as my hip is worse than I knew and I don't feel I should ignore it any longer. Running with moderate/low pain again proved counterproductive for me, as it was when I got the shin splint in April. The bump on the shin, where I understand tendons reattached them selves, has been painless and slowly disappearing for a couple of months. This hip thing has got me hobbling a bit now as I try and work carrying a load or when I get up from bed, etc. I don't want to lose the time I did on the shin splint with this, so I'm going to stop running for a short while.

Yesterday I finished eating with ryekrisp, nayonaise, vegan cheese. This morning I had ww/pb/ban and chai for breakfast with the multi and later psylium. I had a masala burger for lunch and ww/vegan cheese/nayonaise/mung sprouts later with more chai.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:39 pm 
Elephant

Reader, you and I are both liberated from my daily food lists. Here are crucial things my log did and did not reveal. During the day I need to eat more food, more frequently and at night I need to cut off solid food by 8pm. I need to reduce wheat flour and bread in particular. Vegetables need to be dramatically increased, including sprouts. I need less bananas and more temperate zone fruits. I need less cooking oil and salt. Portions of some items need to be drastically reduced. (I'm talking to you potatoes!)

Today I took still another day off from running, because of this left hip thing. Tomorrow I'm going to the chiropractor about it. I think it's getting better, but tomorrow I know it will be mending correctly. I realized from a little reading on running, that my problems so far have come from pushing it a bit too hard for my present condition. I took a long while declining in athleticism, I know now that I need to take a little time to get restarted. A long term, sustainable habit is my goal and injuries can take the wind out of my sails. My cardiopulmonary system survived a little overtraining, but 1st my shin, and now my hip has not. I consider them warning shots over the bow.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:02 pm 
Elephant

Sounds like we definitely have the same diet, except my carb of choice is brown rice, not potatoes. I also need more veggies, less margarine/oil, and less salt. Sorry to hear about your hip, hopefully you'll be back to running soon. I think the problem with running is that you get so excited when you get less tired, and can go further/faster, that you then tend to start overdoing it, and are more likely to get injured. At least that's what I seem to do! :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:19 pm 
Elephant

My hip has been the bane of my existence for months now. First hip flexors, now butt/hip area. You're right to back off and let it rest. Let us know what your chiro says about it. I'm debating whether to go to the sports medicine dr. or not for my current situation.

Also, good assessment on the diet. Make sure you include leafy greens in there too! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:11 pm 
Elephant

My chiropractor adjusted the hip and spine and I felt immediate relief. I think I'll be running again in a couple of days. Next week I'll visit her again. I dropped 5 lbs this week. When I stopped running after my shin splint injury I also lost five pounds quickly. Were it not for cleaning up my diet, running would increase my weight! In livestock terms, many Lithuanians are "good keepers." (hold weight easily, anabolic tendency) So, I'm down 20 lbs since April. Since I will have taken off a week if I start running again Saturday and I took off 6 weeks for the shin splint, I've moved my goal of 85kg to 7 weeks past my birthday, into late September.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 807 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 54  Next