Dogs/cats used as shark bait

savebabe

Please, please sign a petition to help stop this barbaric practice. Stray dogs and cats are being used as "shark bait", dragged behind boats to attract sharks. Just check this out (please be aware this is quite upsetting to people who may have a strong bond with cats, or dogs).

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005450117,,00.html

Please sign the petition to be sent to the French government to halt this once and for all.

Regards

Charmaine

Is that real? I know people do some really f*cked up things to animals but this seems kind of far fetched. Even that pic looks like it could have been altered. If it is turn then it is the worst thing I have ever heard of, but I’m just not sure I buy it.

Unfortunately, the phenomenon appears to be true.

Man Charged With Using Puppies for Shark Bait in Reunion

Sea Shepherd Reward Offer Get Results on Reunion Island

On August 18th, the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society posted a reward of $1,000U.S. to any policeman on Reunion island who arrests anyone responsible for using live dogs or cats as bait for sharks.

To utilize puppies and kittens as live shark bait has been a “tradition” on Reunion and despite it being a violation of French law, the practice has continued without violators being arrested.

The Sea Shepherd Conservation Society provided some motivation with a reward of $1,000 for the first arrest and conviction of any person caught using live dogs or cats as bait.

This week the first violator was charged as a result of an effort by police to investigate the practice. The man will appear in court today – September 30th.

If convicted the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society will pay the arresting officer the reward of $1,000U.S.

The Sea Shepherd Conservation Society will pay $200 to the arresting officer for very successful conviction thereafter.

The first Sea Shepherd story on this issue was posted on August 18th, 2005 at:

http://www.seashepherd.org/news/media_050818_1.html

• 1 month later...