Food Log w/ pics

So do you think you're initial lack of energy was because of a dramatic drop in calorie intake? I'm interested in a juice fast, but I'm also scared. I don't want to sacrifice the energy that I need to work a full time job and complete 2-hour workouts each day. I guess it's like any change in diet in that it takes a few days to adjust to. I'm cutting calories right now and I certainly feel it. It seems like I'm hungry all the time!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Emmybear, indeed most of them are delicious. Some others are just bad results of experiments lol. During next days I'll try recipes in books and websites so they should be all good.

Sophierhymes, yes I think the first days of fatigue were just because of a drop in calorie intake. Because the days before starting the juice fast I was eating madly about 4 000 cals then I suddeny dropped under 1000 cals on the juice fast without transition so the body didn't have time to adjust at all.

But for the next days, I noticed I always had a loss of energy at my work because I hate it. I was feeling so weak that I was barely able to walk, but before and after work I always felt 100% energetic and I had to run and jump everywhere to calm down.

Sometimes I feel hungry most of the day, sometimes not. I guess it depends if it's dense calorie smoothies or just very diluted fruit juices that are mostly just low-calorie water. But I think when there's lots of liquids, I feel always fine, not full, not hungry; my body seems light and my mind is clear.

When I feel fatigue I can always adjust the juices accordingly. Or can just rest, because it's normal to feel tired once in a while, after many physical efforts.

First, let me say thanks to you for doing this experiment. It's quite interesting!

Now some questions.

1. What is your current caloric intake, and what is the fat/carb/protein ratio?

2. Do you think you have lost quite a bit of muscle as well as fat?

3. From what you have learned, how many calories do you lose from a fruit by juicing? (eg. orange = 80cal, juice of orange = ?)

4. How much training are you doing, and what kind?

So do you think you're initial lack of energy was because of a dramatic drop in calorie intake? I'm interested in a juice fast, but I'm also scared. I don't want to sacrifice the energy that I need to work a full time job and complete 2-hour workouts each day. I guess it's like any change in diet in that it takes a few days to adjust to. I'm cutting calories right now and I certainly feel it. It seems like I'm hungry all the time!

Sophie, just make sure you take in enough, no need to be scared. I get intense workouts and then work 17hr shifts right afterwards and i'm flying high. Just bring a cooler, ya know? I'm Your Man did not take in nearly enough calories but he's adjusting that now....

Guillame, ditch those pasteurized store bought juices man. The v8 has to be, at least. All those beautiful fruits, juice those, blend those and you'll be good to go. Fresh is best. It may be a minor inconvenience to lug a cooler around when you can't be home but it's wellllllll worth it. Trust me.

True, thicker blends/smoothies, satiate me longer. I still cannot get over how I go to sleep with a slight bit of hunger or I should say I hold back from drinking more yet when I wake up, I feel so full, full to the point where I feel like not eating for 14 hours. I force myself to eat every morning b/c I know I should and then after that, my appetite opens up nicely.

I totally hear you about the sense of smell being heightened. I can smell the quinoa grains in a close cabinet from 6 feet away. They smell lovely

Hope you're having fun!

Guillame, ditch those pasteurized store bought juices man. The v8 has to be, at least. All those beautiful fruits, juice those, blend those and you'll be good to go. Fresh is best. It may be a minor inconvenience to lug a cooler around when you can't be home but it's wellllllll worth it. Trust me.

I know, you're right. The first week I didn't buy any. The second week I drinked 3, I didn't bring enough of mine to work. But it still was less than 5% of what I drinked that week, there was 2 small 300ml bottles and one 900ml. The Arthur Smoothies say on the bottle "flash pasteurized", there's still some vitamins in it, but it will never be as good as a fresh juice that's for sure. I'll try to always have something homemade to drink with me next times

First, let me say thanks to you for doing this experiment. It's quite interesting!

Now some questions.

1. What is your current caloric intake, and what is the fat/carb/protein ratio?

2. Do you think you have lost quite a bit of muscle as well as fat?

3. From what you have learned, how many calories do you lose from a fruit by juicing? (eg. orange = 80cal, juice of orange = ?)

4. How much training are you doing, and what kind?

Thank you for your interest in my liquid journey!

1. I don't have any idea I never count calories, eventhough I know approximate number of calories for about each food. But I was just drinking whenever I felt hunger and never thought about the amount of calories. But judging by the weight I lost in 7 days...

I lost 10lbs in 7 days. To lose 1 pound of fat you need to burn 3500 calories. Therefore I had a 35000 calories deficit last week. To maintain my weight I need between 2000-2500 cals/day, so about 15000 cals/week to avoid losing or gaining fat. All this doesn't make any sense so I dont know lol

2.Perhaps. If yes, I don't notice it. I heard it's almost impossible to lose only fat. The body sometimes turns to muscles. There's two ways to prevent losing muscles while cutting and both are necessary :

Use your muscles, all your lean mass, otherwise the body see this mass as useless extra weight.

And have enough proteins, especially on low-calorie diet.

I didn't follow those two things very well so I supposed I lost some muscles.

3.I don't lose anything from the fruits I use for juices. Because I don't have a juicer, only a blender. So everything I put in the blender is what I get into my body. It keeps all the calories, vitamins, fibres (which kinda make smoothies more than juices), etc...

4.I don't really train these days. I do some physical activities but it's more of an anti-training, lol. I almost never begin a 30 minutes or 1 hour workout well defined session, or only once a week. Usually I just stay active during all day by walking, running a bit, now that there's less rain I'll probably do cycling. Concerning weightlifting I don't go to the gym, I only do some push-ups, pull-ups and other bodyweight exercises whenever I feel like it. I might begin some kung fu classes this summer, I'll see. But concerning weightlose, physical activities help losing more weight, but it's not necessary. We can lose weight even by only sleeping and sit on a chair, if the calories are low enough.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's about time I refresh this blog!

So I'm now at my 3rd week of liquid feast. Only 1 week left! I can't wait to bite into something. It's gonna be fruits, after 1 month of drinking, it's gonna be very good. Then veggies and salads (mmm, avocado, corn... ) and more fruits because I want to stay raw until August. Then it's gonna be junk food! Mmmm, junk food. Lol

As you will notice, I had lots of drinks made with a base of processed beverages such as carob soy milk, almond-vanilla milk, etc... Some commercial energy drinks. That's not part of a cleansing... I guess I had a few days where I craved for solid foods or junk foods, and I ended up drinking those things. It's silly because I have all the ingredients to make natural home-made energy drinks.

Anyway, this cleansing became a juice fast, then a juice feast, then blends, then just a liquid diet with raw soup and smoothies, it's still doing what I started it for, main reason was simply to lose fat and it's still working. And burning fat always kind of mean cleansing.

I guess I'm not as strong as Lean & Green, who stayed with very healthy ingredients for his juices. But it's normal, he's a raw foodist since 2 years, and I still enjoy veggiedogs and tofuburgers

There's only 7 or 8 days left, so I'll try to finish in beauty with more clean juices.

24th June - 9th July

Tuesday 24th June

-raw soup : avocado, broccoli, celery, veg. broth

-red apple, red grapes, hemp

wed 25 June

-banana, date, fruit paste (berries)

-coconut-date-banana juice (delicious)

-"berry pomegranate" HempShake and hemp protein powder with strawberries and McKintosh apple (delicous)

-carrot juice with tomato, jalapeno, beet, celery

-raw veg. cream: avocado, celery, jalapeno, carrot, veg. broth, Bragg's liquid aminos

-lychee juice

-lychee + raisins (way better than lychee alone)

-banana+ raisins

-energy drink

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh240/organicspiral/IMG_3438.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh240/organicspiral/IMG_3266.jpg

thu 26 june

-hemp seeds and protein powder, coconut, dates, banana

-grape, lychee, apple

-raw potage: avocado, celery, tomato, carrot, beet

-another veg. cream but added also kale and spinach

Fri 27th of June

-soy protein, date, banana

-hemp protein, date, banana, peach (good)

-pineapple+cranberry juice

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh240/organicspiral/IMG_3268.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh240/organicspiral/IMG_3269.jpg

sat

-date, banana, hemp

-date, banana, soy, peanuts

-raw vegggie cream: avocado, celery, tomato, carrot, beet, kale and spinach, bragg's aminos, spices

-pineapple juice

-grape-apple juice

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh240/organicspiral/IMG_3425.jpg

sun

-peach-date-coconut-banana-soy protein

-carrot juice

-cucumber-celery juice

-raw soup as mentioned before

-peach-hemp smoothie

Monday 30 June

-banana-peach-date-coconut

-hemp-peach smoothie

-soy-peanuts-peach-banana-dates

-raw soup

Tuesday 1st of July

-peach-pear-banana-coconut

-cocoa-banana-coconut-almonds

-green tea with pink grapefruit juice

-banana-coconut-hemp seeds and protein powder

Wed

went to Montreal for 2 days, had to buy commercial beverages

-lychee green tea

-soy vanilla Chai

-guava nectar

-raw veggie cream

Thursday

-banana-chocolate-soy smoothie

-guava nectar, green tea, apple juice

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh240/organicspiral/IMG_3403.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh240/organicspiral/IMG_3435.jpg

Friday

-peach-lychee-grape-pear juice

-soy-banana-chocolate

-lychee, golden apple, nutmeg, cinammon Juice

Saturday 5th of July

-almond flavour soy milk, dates, nutmeg, cinammon

-veggie cream: broccoli and zuchini

-chocolate soy drink

-sun yerba mate

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh240/organicspiral/IMG_3390.jpg

Sun

-almond flavoured soy milk, dates, cinnamon, nutmeg (good spicy taste easy Chai)

-carob soy milk, carob powder, banana, soy protein powder (Mmm carob is better than cocoa)

-sprouted amaranth, peach, pear

-this "natural" energy drink, at least more natural than most others I found

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh240/organicspiral/IMG_3437.jpg

Monday 7th July

-carob, California pear, California saucer peach

-raw fruit soup: tomato, cucumber, zuchini, fine herbs

-vegetal milk: almond, date, coconut, vanilla, stevia

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh240/organicspiral/IMG_3262.jpg

Tuesday 8th

-carob - nectarine - dates

-apple-raisins juice

-energy drink

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh240/organicspiral/IMG_3436.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh240/organicspiral/IMG_3404.jpg

Wednesday 9th of July

-carob, banana

-pineapple, coconut, stevia, almond-vanilla milk (delicious!)

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh240/organicspiral/IMG_3426.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh240/organicspiral/IMG_3427.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh240/organicspiral/IMG_3433.jpg

My fridge

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh240/organicspiral/IMG_3261.jpg

Almost all my drinks are not good food combinations (digestively speaking). For the last week, I shall try to drink fruits alone juices, and when I feel I need proteins I'll drink hemp protein powder or brewer's yeast in water. For greens: some cream or soup like I had before.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh240/organicspiral/IMG_3270.jpg

Thanx for the visit Mangosuma !

Those where I wrote "delicious" are delicious!

Next week when I'll eat solid foods I want to try that fruit salad that yo like, even if it's bad for digestion, it must taste good: mango-avocado-banana.

Oh, ..it's amazing. The fruit salad. You will not be disappointed.

Especially if you make it with Manila Mangoes.. they are just too addictive... haha

I'm Your Man, i see you ate raw potato, what type was that?

i've heard mixed reviews on eating raw spuds from one extreme saying it's therapeutic to the other saying it's bad for you.

did you ever try yamaimo, it's a japanese mountain potato eaten raw (sliced up with soy sauce or grated into a paste). it has a sticky film like okra or natto, too, if you like that (which I personally do...).

i've heard mixed reviews on eating raw spuds from one extreme saying it's therapeutic to the other saying it's bad for you.

did you ever try yamaimo, it's a japanese mountain potato eaten raw (sliced up with soy sauce or grated into a paste). it has a sticky film like okra or natto, too, if you like that (which I personally do...).

I don't remember having raw potato ! where? when? during my liquid fast? maybe in a veggie cream with avocado, it should be good.

Those kinds of potatoes seems interesting, I'm gonna try one of these days. Bananas, potatoes and avocados are really polyvalent foods that can be used in so many ways and taste great when mixed with so many different foods.

Cool! Was worried you were having trouble sticking to it as I did not see any blog posts but somehow I knew you were in track. What's up with that 'Sun' picture.... It looks like a Kirlian Photography image but you just used a conventional camera! That's talented picture taking

Some interesting combinations. I enjoyed looking at them.

Those energy drinks, duuuuuuuude, what's in those things? At the very least, there must be alot of carbonation. I saw you wrote you knew they weren't good for you. You don't need those things on a fast/feast. You're dropping alll that weight, eliminating trapped gasses, ok i'll stop, i know you know all this already.

What's in them out of curiosity... Yerba Mate, Ginseng, Guarana, Ginko?? Stuff like that? What else?

Though I do not take in caffeine, with the exception of raw cacao and perhaps some yerba mate sun tea I will brew at home from time to time, I can merit the use of it for the last 2-3 weeks before something drastic just to push things to the limit. Like for instance, the 2-3 weeks before my competition, chances are I will be taking in a 200-400mg dose of caffeine to fine tweak my body and prepare for the dehydration process. I also like to use things like juniper berries and natural diuretics but this is only pre comp stuff.

Save that stuff for until after the cleansing if possible.

But anyway, you look great in your avatar (def take after pics for sure, would be a shame if you didn't); enjoy the breaking of it next week and DON'T GORGE, transition slooooooooowly. Would you like me to send you via airmail some of the organic dried prunes I made? I'll ship it quick so it gets to you. I can send it monday morning 3 day or something. You can soak them and have them as your first solid meal.... pm me your address

Glad to see this update, keep it up G.U.I.L.L.A.U.M.E.

ahah thanks Giacomo.

You're right, those energy drinks are not good for the body, especially the glucose-fructose syrup is not a cleansing ingredient at all. In you're interested in the ingredients, yes the ones you mentioned, also synthetic caffeine, taurine, vitamins and minerals, carbonated water, other synthetic stuff. The green can is a bit healthier : just green tea, yerba mate, acai and guarana, but also cane juice and carbonated water.

It's a good tactic to use green tea and other drinks like that during final days of cutting phase, right before comp.

The slow transition will be 2 weeks of just fruits and greens

Of course I'll take after pics, because after I'll eat too much

I'm interested in those dried prunes, thank you! I'll send you a pm.

I don't remember having raw potato ! where? when? during my liquid fast? maybe in a veggie cream with avocado, it should be good.

Those kinds of potatoes seems interesting, I'm gonna try one of these days. Bananas, potatoes and avocados are really polyvalent foods that can be used in so many ways and taste great when mixed with so many different foods.

Actually you didn't have it... I am mistaken it was "raw potage: avocado, celery, tomato, carrot, beet" that I misread as raw potato!

But, yeah, by all means, do check out the Yamaimo aka Japanese mountain potato...

ahah! I don't even know if "potage" can be used in English ? In French it means a thick soup, like a cream.

But before starting the liquid diet, I made a vegepate using raw turnip, which is kind of in the same family than potato, a root vegetable. I'm sure we can eat raw potatoes and yams, it's just they're hard as rock!

ahah! I don't even know if "potage" can be used in English ? In French it means a thick soup, like a cream.

But before starting the liquid diet, I made a vegepate using raw turnip, which is kind of in the same family than potato, a root vegetable. I'm sure we can eat raw potatoes and yams, it's just they're hard as rock!

actually the yamaimo i refer to is like a crisp apple; it has a higher water content than your typical potato but when you grate it up and mix it, it becomes a sticky gelatinous mush.

Hey, I'm Your Man,

I am concerned about your use of soy proteins. They are largely indigestible and they create congestion at the cellular and lymphatic level.

Better protein is raw and alive. Organic hemp, sunflower and/or sesame seeds. Organic raw almonds or cashews. Soak overnight. Rinse thoroughly. Blend with organic ripe banana, berries or other fruits. Add any combination of ginger, coriander, nutmeg, and cinnamon to taste. Use agave to sweeten. It is better than stevia.

Chia seeds can also be used this way. They should also be soaked overnight to activate life force and eliminate enzyme inhibitors.

To above blender drinks you can also add 1 or 2 tablespoons red or golden flaxseed. And a tablespoon of organic flax or coconut oil.

Raw protein is the best protein as it is optimally bioavailable.

Love, Richard

Hey, I'm Your Man,

I am concerned about your use of soy proteins. They are largely indigestible and they create congestion at the cellular and lymphatic level.

Better protein is raw and alive. Organic hemp, sunflower and/or sesame seeds. Organic raw almonds or cashews. Soak overnight. Rinse thoroughly. Blend with organic ripe banana, berries or other fruits. Add any combination of ginger, coriander, nutmeg, and cinnamon to taste. Use agave to sweeten. It is better than stevia.

Chia seeds can also be used this way. They should also be soaked overnight to activate life force and eliminate enzyme inhibitors.

To above blender drinks you can also add 1 or 2 tablespoons red or golden flaxseed. And a tablespoon of organic flax or coconut oil.

Raw protein is the best protein as it is optimally bioavailable.

Love, Richard

Thank you Richard, I'm taking notes of your tips.

You're right about soy, I've already made the decision a while ago not to buy any again. I'm just gonna finish the bag that I already have because I don't like to waste. Hemp protein powder is my best option and I already consume some everyday. Spirulina, chlorella are interesting but not available except on internet and too expensive for me. Besides I'm pretty sure the nut taste of hemp is better.

And like you said, there's always whole foods like nuts, seeds, etc.

Chia yeah, very interesting, I eat some these days, blended for the liquid diet.

I didn't see any agave nectar in my food health store yet, perhaps I'll find some when I move back to Montreal and will replace it for stevia, but stevia is good because it's 0 calories, what's bad about stevia ?

Hey "I'm Your Man",

You're doing great!!! Really.

Nothing particularly bad about steiva. I like the taste of agave and the agave does not cause a gylcemic spike.

You're definitely on the right and intelligent course. Enjoy the seeds and nuts and chia. Always soak seeds overnight before using, as I have previously indicated. Our book on that subject is currently out of print, but I think there might be a new contract in the offing.

I'm very proud of you.

I was in Montreal twice. I went to the special Monet exhibit at the museum there some years ago. Recently I traveled to Toronto to help my friend with breast cancer. God, did we shrink that tumor fast. I can send you the protocols I designed for here. What a trip. All natural. All good. Non-toxic. Healing. Curing.

Love, Richard

[email protected]

Hey "I'm Your Man",

You're doing great!!! Really.

Nothing particularly bad about steiva. I like the taste of agave and the agave does not cause a gylcemic spike.

You're definitely on the right and intelligent course. Enjoy the seeds and nuts and chia. Always soak seeds overnight before using, as I have previously indicated. Our book on that subject is currently out of print, but I think there might be a new contract in the offing.

I'm very proud of you.

I was in Montreal twice. I went to the special Monet exhibit at the museum there some years ago. Recently I traveled to Toronto to help my friend with breast cancer. God, did we shrink that tumor fast. I can send you the protocols I designed for here. What a trip. All natural. All good. Non-toxic. Healing. Curing.

Love, Richard

[email protected]

Thanks Richard.

I found some agave nectar today at the same food stores I go every week, just first time I notice they had some.

So I bought many small items, some quite interesting and intriguing because I never bought them before. Some junks or cooked foods but I won't eat them now, I eat only raw, natural foods for at least 1 or 2 more weeks.

Organic Raw Blue Amber Agave Nectar... whole garlic, whole cinnamon sticks, whole nutmegs, RedStar nutr. yeast, Banana Split Oreos (lol, because the price was reduced), olive oil w/ rosemary infusion, Organic ice cream cones, peanut butter w/ dark chocolate , prepared hot horseraddish, spinach potato gnocci.

Today was my first day of solid foods after 1 month - exactly 30 days- on a liquid diet!

So I ate many tiny meals, and continued to drink some stuff:

-raw "apple-almond-cinnamon" Chia Goodness

-strawberry-yellow kiwi smoothie

-a bunch of strawberries from Quebec

-about 5 nectarines

-raw "cranberry-ginger" Chia Goodness blended to cream, with added walnuts

-green tea

-dates, dried pineapple slices

-more stuff that I forgot...

-and tonight I might eat one of those: butternut squash soup, carrot salad or beet salad

------------------

I'm gonna post soon (probably tomorrow) pics and text about my last days of liquid diet.

My 30 days of liquid diet was far from being perfect -- soy, energy drinks, etc -- but at least I made it, 30 days. Many circonstances didn't help me: the 2 jobs I had but especially the stress from the job I hated,

the weather was colder than normally at this period of the year and raining almost everyday. If it would have been sunny like it's supposed to be during summer, I would have be less tempted by processed stuff and more guided towards fresh fruits and strictly pure water, lots of ice green tea, etc.

Now that the liquid diet is over, today was the first day that seemed like a summer day... So I guess it's gonna give me a boost of energy, to continue with fresh products, lots of liquids, and it's gonna help me to stay away from junk foods for a while.

I'm happy the liquid diet is over, because honnestly, I was feeling pretty weak most of the time, and had energy to work out only 2 days per week. I don't know if it was because of a lack of calorie intake (or a too high % of the calories coming from processed stuff like soy protein and commercial soy milks) or just psychological reasons that had nothing to do with the fact that I wasn't eating anything: I think it was because of my job, it always caused a loss of energy to me. Now that I started to eat again, I have lots of energy, but maybe it's only because I know I only have 3 more days to work at this place and then I'm free!

Free to do what I like to do during summer :

to read and relax under the sun, tanning, meditating, cycling, drinking ice tea, working out, etc... Eating vegan ice cream, but not now, in a few weeks