Finally back at it

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dragged my butt out of bed super early this morning and ran 6k. We took it pretty slowly, but forgot our stopwatch so I don't know exactly what the pace was. It's a beautiful morning, very nice weather in which to run. My butt (it may actually be my hip, not sure) was mostly ok. I started to feel it a bit at about 2k, but it didn't get to the point of searing pain, it just kept me aware that it felt different than the other side. I plan to run next on Friday evening. Tonight I'm going to do a good stretching session.

ETA: I saw a little baby bunny while running! That was the best part.

I was going to run last night but I didn't feel like it, so I ran this morning. I did 6k. I forgot to start my stopwatch so I have no idea how long I took. I learned some stuff though, including the fact that the weight of an mp3 player will pull down my running skirt! So I had to put in in the pouch on the front of my shirt about 500m into my run. I think I ran at a pretty good pace, I had my music going for the first time in a while and some of the best running songs came on in succession. Now I'm off on a little road trip to my hometown, and no more running until Tuesday!

I was away all weekend visiting friends, so I have done virtually nothing workout-wise. However I did spend a fair bit of time playing with my friend's son, which gave me an arm workout. He loves being thrown up and down, so I did that until my shoulders were sore. My friend took a picture and I thought my arms looked pretty nice in it.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c78/pamelaswitzer/pamelaraiden2.jpg

I ran 6k tonight. My stupid butt injury is bugging me still, it kicks in at 2k. I am going to make an appointment to see the sports medicine doctor to see if I can at least get it diagnosed so I can figure out if there's anything I can do about it.

Thanks guys. I really wish I could be out there almost every day but it's just not working out that way and I'm getting better at accepting it. But I'm not giving up, I'm just trying to be patient.

Last night I did stretching + abs and I also held a plank for a minute and a half. This morning I'm going to do upper body weights. It's hard to be consistent with things right now with the move coming up so soon.

I did the upper body workout I had planned. I've decided that I need more of a challenge so I'm going to up the weight on each of my exercises by 10 more pounds. I may have to temporarily drop the number of reps but that's ok. This will now mean I'm doing double the weight I started out with... which sounds impressive but it's still not really a lot of weight because I was just really weak before.

I hope you heal up quickly! Are you going to the Carleton sports med clinic? My friend went there for her hip injury and had fantastic results.

If you want to keep up some cardio, have you considered a rowing machine? It does involve some legs, but depending on where exactly your injury is, it might not aggravate it.

Medman, I have been to Carleton's clinic but wasn't a huge fan. I did physio there for a while, but didn't find it very helpful. I made an appointment today with a place in Kanata because that's the only one I could find that could fit me in next week. Many of the doctors at these places are apparently going to the Olympics with the athletes.

As for rowing machines, I don't actually go to a gym, so i don't have access to one unless I start going to one or buy one. I do my weights on my home gym.

I just want to run, dammit!

So I went out again this morning for a run. Sure enough at about 2k I started to feel it a bit. I made it through the 6k run without any real searing or intense pain, but I could feel it was off. Ugh! It hurt for a few minutes once I stopped and was just walking, but after that it completely dissipated and nothing feels off at all now.

This evening I did a 25 minute stretching routine, followed by 2 sets of 50 bicycle crunches and a 2 minute plank. I was shaking for the last 20 seconds or so of holding the plank, but held on.

I hope to get in at least one bike ride this weekend, and one run. Stretching too of course, and maybe an upper body weight workout.

Today I did an 11 km bike ride, and since about half of it was into a noticeable headwind I actually got a bit of a work out from it. Tonight I did a 25 minute stretching/abs routine. I spent much of the rest of the day cleaning and packing, so I wasn't completely sedentary that way either.

I ran 5k this morning. This time the sensation didn't kick in until 3k and was less noticeable as I ran. I actually ran about 35 secs/km faster today than the other days I've run recently. Maybe running slow is the problem? Anyway, I didn't want to push it even though I felt pretty good, so I kept it short.

ok, this is really lame, but I was feeling quite cute in my little pink running outfit today so I had Todd take some photos of me running. I've hated pretty much ever single photo that's ever been taken of me at a race. They have this uncanny ability to shoot you when you're at your worst. The last race they did, I was crying in my photos. Others, I look like I'm about to die. When I don't have some horrible expression on my face, they've caught me in a bad stride, or looking like I'm barely moving. Anyway, here's a couple of photos.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c78/pamelaswitzer/runningfavorite.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c78/pamelaswitzer/runningstanding.jpg

and check out how weird my leg looks in this one:

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c78/pamelaswitzer/runningweirdleg.jpg

You look like running strawberry ice cream cone with all that pink going on. Do people spontaneously come up to you and lick your face when you wear that?

haha, no, that hasn't happened yet, but I'll be on the lookout for spontaneous licking now that you've brought it up!

No real exercise the past few days, but I've been on my feet pretty much constantly with painting and demolishing a sub-floor in my new basement. I like that I'm in shape while doing this, it certainly makes it a lot easier than the last time. My dad arrived late this afternoon to help. I am glad he's here because I'm not in a great state of mind right now so it also serves as a bit of a distraction.

My planned work out for today is helping to install a sub-floor in the basement, installing carpet in two bedrooms, and endless running around and moving boxes. At least it won't be a 14 hour day today, as I have plans with a friend in the evening.

It has been a week since I've run or done any official exercise. However, I've been on my feet non-stop with moving and now unpacking and assembling things. I saw a sports medicine doctor on Friday and the diagnosis is that my hamstrings are responsible for the problems I've been having. I really don't know what to do, I have been religious about stretching since January even though I absolutely hate it, but I haven't felt any improvement in my hams. I wish I could get a hamstring transplant. Anyway they suggested I go for a few rounds of physio to learn some new stretches and to get some help with loosening them up. I have coverage, so I might as well.

As for when I will try running again... I am thinking Monday or Tuesday. I live in a new neighbourhood now, so it will be interesting trying out new routes.

Today I went for my first run in nearly two weeks. I hadn't planned to break this long, but moving and personal stuff has prevented me from having an opportunity to go for a run. I did a good 25 minute stretch beforehand (am I ever tight!) and then ran for about 40 minutes. I did 10 and 1's (10 minutes running, 1 minute walking) and covered about 6k. I didn't go fast at all, because, well, that would be stupid under the circumstances. The butt problem didn't act up, although my legs, hips and butt felt pretty stiff overall. This was also my first run through my new neighbourhood. I'm relieved that I don't suck more than I do... I was pretty nervous.

I forgot to mention that I did go to the sports med doctor about a week ago, and they said that all of these little problems I'm dealing with are because of my insanely tight hamstrings. They also said I have a weak butt. I think I have a cute butt, but whatever. Anyway, they have suggested I go to physio to learn some new stretches and strengthening exercises. I think I will, but it may have to wait a few weeks until my life's a bit less of a mess.

Tonight I did about 45 minutes of stretching and abs. I hope to run in the morning, if I can wake up on time.

Yesterday I went to a family reunion. I wore my VBBF t-shirt. Here's me and my little brother.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c78/pamelaswitzer/jimmypamela1.jpg