Protein powder comparative amino acid analysis

Troy

Here's a bit of food for thought, I know I found it really interesting. I just read a 1999 paper by McCarty (check my post history for a discussion of it) that suggested that many vegan proteins - because of their lower essential AA content - could have a wide variety of health benefits. So maybe absolutely maxing out the essential AA content of your protein isn't the only thing to think about?

Also, regarding finding a 'perfect' essential AA score - this is really tricky. When you look at what ratios are 'ideal' for maintaining health, keep in mind that that involves all the protein synthesis in the body - from hemoglobin to the keratin in your hair and nails. I've never seen the exact balance used by skeletal muscle - which is what you'd be most concerned about if you're trying to find the right balance to support weight training.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just ordered a 45 pea / 35 hemp / 20 rice blend from trueprotein. (They only have 5% increments now). I'll see if it makes my workouts complimentary and synergistic.

Just to follow-up, I like the blend. I usually feel a difference with pea vs soy protein (pea is better), this stuff makes me feel better than just plan pea/gemma. I'm cheap... plain gemma is cheaper than this blend, but I'll be buying this blend again. (Perhaps tweaked further, but still similar.)

Flavor is ok. You get the nuttiness from the hemp and a bit of a bitter twang from something else, perhaps from the rice protein or the stevia. I've always used it in a fruit or green smoothie, so I don't know how well it would work plain.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/seanf76/gemmavswhey.png

http://www.dpsnutrition.net/images/editor/lipotropic_protein.jpg

BENEFITS OF Lipotrophic PROTEIN

-Polyphenols-burn fat by increasing mitochondria energy production

-Higher BCAA and Glutamine levels per 100g

-Lower Fat and Zero Cholesterol

-Lower Carbohydrate

-Zero Lactose means ZERO BLOAT!

-Improved Nutrient Profile

-Mixes Instantly

A new protein is coming to town and it is something every bodybuilder is going to want to try. The secret to this new protein is something called polyphenols, which are plant extracts that are known to help increase the body's own fat burning effect. Polyphenols can be found in many plant varieties, but some of the most potent come from tea extracts like green and black tea. These polyphenols are proven to help the body burn more fat calories per workout and to keep burning fat all day long. Unfortunately you need to drink a lot of green tea to get the full fat burning effects or take a green tea supplement three times per day. However, a new protein source is now available that contains natural polyphenols similar to what is found in green tea and is proven in scientific literature to increase the fat burning effect in the body's mitochondria. This is the "holy grail" of all protein supplements, to be able to burn fat while promoting lean muscle growth and it is finally available. Lipotropic Protein is a new great tasting protein source from L-Gear that delivers on the amazing promise to build muscle while burning fat. We all want a more toned body along with a lean mid section. Unfortunately, increasing protein and food intake was usually associated with a "bulk" phase of training because of the extra calories needed to get the optimal dose of protein. Your body isn't good at naturally taking in extra calories and nutrient partitioning them only for muscle growth...until now!

Lipotropic Protein contains a new kind of protein that is the most advanced on the market, surpassing old whey concentrate blends in protein quality and effect on lean mass. Sativum protein is a high quality protein extract that has some serious benefits over standard whey protein extracts. First it is extremely high in the prime muscle building components of protein, specifically the essential amino acids Leucine, Isoleucine and Valine, often called the branch chain amino acids. These anabolic muscle builders are the most important part of the protein for building muscle and Leucine is proven to be anabolic! Sativum protein is also rich in Glutamine and glutamine peptides, which are also very important for building muscle and increasing recovery.

These two groups of amino acids make Sativum protein superior to whey and casein proteins for increasing muscle mass and the fat loss benefits of the polyphenols make this protein way better than any whey blend on the market for building mass and losing body fat. Available first in Chocolate, the Sativum protein in Lipotropic Protein will soon be available in many different flavors. If you want the very best protein on the market for increasing lean muscle and burning fat, look no further than Lipotropic Protein from L-Gear. It has the perfect nutrient profile for the serious bodybuilder that is looking to lose fat while gaining muscle. No other protein gives you the benefit of both being the most advanced amino acid profile with fat burning polyphenols!

• 3 weeks later...
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/seanf76/gemmavswhey.png

http://www.dpsnutrition.net/images/editor/lipotropic_protein.jpg

BENEFITS OF Lipotrophic PROTEIN

-Polyphenols-burn fat by increasing mitochondria energy production

-Higher BCAA and Glutamine levels per 100g

-Lower Fat and Zero Cholesterol

-Lower Carbohydrate

-Zero Lactose means ZERO BLOAT!

-Improved Nutrient Profile

-Mixes Instantly

A new protein is coming to town and it is something every bodybuilder is going to want to try. The secret to this new protein is something called polyphenols, which are plant extracts that are known to help increase the body's own fat burning effect. Polyphenols can be found in many plant varieties, but some of the most potent come from tea extracts like green and black tea. These polyphenols are proven to help the body burn more fat calories per workout and to keep burning fat all day long. Unfortunately you need to drink a lot of green tea to get the full fat burning effects or take a green tea supplement three times per day. However, a new protein source is now available that contains natural polyphenols similar to what is found in green tea and is proven in scientific literature to increase the fat burning effect in the body's mitochondria. This is the "holy grail" of all protein supplements, to be able to burn fat while promoting lean muscle growth and it is finally available. Lipotropic Protein is a new great tasting protein source from L-Gear that delivers on the amazing promise to build muscle while burning fat. We all want a more toned body along with a lean mid section. Unfortunately, increasing protein and food intake was usually associated with a "bulk" phase of training because of the extra calories needed to get the optimal dose of protein. Your body isn't good at naturally taking in extra calories and nutrient partitioning them only for muscle growth...until now!

Lipotropic Protein contains a new kind of protein that is the most advanced on the market, surpassing old whey concentrate blends in protein quality and effect on lean mass. Sativum protein is a high quality protein extract that has some serious benefits over standard whey protein extracts. First it is extremely high in the prime muscle building components of protein, specifically the essential amino acids Leucine, Isoleucine and Valine, often called the branch chain amino acids. These anabolic muscle builders are the most important part of the protein for building muscle and Leucine is proven to be anabolic! Sativum protein is also rich in Glutamine and glutamine peptides, which are also very important for building muscle and increasing recovery.

These two groups of amino acids make Sativum protein superior to whey and casein proteins for increasing muscle mass and the fat loss benefits of the polyphenols make this protein way better than any whey blend on the market for building mass and losing body fat. Available first in Chocolate, the Sativum protein in Lipotropic Protein will soon be available in many different flavors. If you want the very best protein on the market for increasing lean muscle and burning fat, look no further than Lipotropic Protein from L-Gear. It has the perfect nutrient profile for the serious bodybuilder that is looking to lose fat while gaining muscle. No other protein gives you the benefit of both being the most advanced amino acid profile with fat burning polyphenols!

Yoohoo!!!!! SPAM!!!!

I just place my own order for 5lbs worth. Looking forward to trying this out! The prices seem super cheap.

What is other folks experience with the quality of the custom mixes?

My blend:

+ FORMULA

Rice Protein Concentrate non-GMO 20%

Gemma Pea Protein Isolate non-GMO 45%

Hemp Protein Powder 35%

+ Vanilla Flavor

+ **Plain** No Sweetener

+ Aminogen / Vitamin and Mineral

+ FREE Food Grade Bag

My blend:

+ FORMULA

Hemp Protein Powder 35%

+ Vanilla Flavor

+ **Plain** No Sweetener

+ FREE Food Grade Bag

That's a good blend, but I doubt the taste will be that good. I always get vanilla w/ stevia in gemma only. It's the best veg powder i've tasted. I think the amino balance in yours seems like it will be good.

Also, the regular flavorings @ true protein really aren't that great. Let us know though because that looks like a cool blend to me.

• 3 weeks later...
I just ordered a 45 pea / 35 hemp / 20 rice blend from trueprotein. (They only have 5% increments now). I'll see if it makes my workouts complimentary and synergistic.

Just to follow-up, I like the blend. I usually feel a difference with pea vs soy protein (pea is better), this stuff makes me feel better than just plan pea/gemma. I'm cheap... plain gemma is cheaper than this blend, but I'll be buying this blend again. (Perhaps tweaked further, but still similar.)

Flavor is ok. You get the nuttiness from the hemp and a bit of a bitter twang from something else, perhaps from the rice protein or the stevia. I've always used it in a fruit or green smoothie, so I don't know how well it would work plain.

I'm almost out of gemma. I might give this mix a go. Is there anything else you would suggest tweaking? How much of a difference would a ratio like this make:

50% Gemma

30% Hemp

20% Rice

or

50% Gemma

35% Hemp

15% Rice

I just place my own order for 5lbs worth. Looking forward to trying this out! The prices seem super cheap.

My blend:

+ FORMULA

Hemp Protein Powder 35%

+ Vanilla Flavor

+ **Plain** No Sweetener

+ FREE Food Grade Bag

I got my shipment and have been taking it for several weeks now. It tastes decent and mixes well. Overall I am very happy with my selection. I usually blend it with a few dates for sweetness (since I didn't choose to have any sweetener added to the mix).

For the price this really is outstanding.

• 3 weeks later...

I have actually been using dried spinach powder from bulkfoods.com as a protein powder for maybe around six months. Spinach has a 120 amino acid score at ND and is about as high in protein as spirulina and incredibly affordable (actually cheaper than hemp) in comparison, so it seems like a decent bet, especially since I have been gaining great this whole time.

how does it taste cubby?

Like a green smoothie. Fruit is absolutely a must and using some of True Protein's natural banana flavor (though the banana flavor is still artificial) helps a lot to allow you to increase the amount of spinach to fruit. Each morning I have a smoothie made of a half cup of spinach powder with a cup of strawberries, a tablespoon of flax, some maca and some True Protein banana flavor. Just like green smoothies, which it essentially is, the more you consume it, the better it begins to taste and the more spinach you can add.

That half cup comes out to roughly 160 calories in spinach. The jar says that it is 35 calories a tsp, but that is way off. Most green powders are about 20 calories a tbsp, so that is what I go off of.

Also, a little bit of lemon juice or some fruit flavored vinegar helps to tilt the flavor in favor of the fruit. You just have to use a very small amount unless you love a lemony or vinegary shake. If you use a small enough amount (a tsp to a tbsp), you won't taste the lemon or vinegar, but it will serve its purpose.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.unifiedfoods.com/spinach_spec.pdf

From this, and the rough calculations I did based on the fact that 3.5 pounds of it filled a 5gallon jug ~80% of the way, that it's ~.53g/cc.

240cc--> 126g--> 5g fat, 37.5g net carbs, 13g fiber, 40g protein. A half cup would be 2.5g fat, 19g net carbs, 6g fiber, and 20g protein.

I tried drinking this straight, and it was pretty difficult to stomach. I'll have to try the strawberry + banana smoothie.

Yep, my calculations are about the same as dnephi's. I guess it at 22g per half cup. It all depends on what data you are using, but most puts it in that general range.

I wouldn't try it straight. I love spinach, but not that much. The best way to down a lot of it is to mix in whatever trueprotein.com flavor pack has the most appealing flavor to you in a green smoothie or use a ton of fruit. I use the flavors with a cup of berries because I consume plenty of fruit otherwise.

I was just looking at a post by devil's plaything today and looked at his link about spinach and steroids. I realized that the amount of spinach I consume on average in a day is the equivalent of almost two pounds, one half cup powder being equivalent to about 1 and 1/3 lbs. I am getting a light steroidal effect.

interesting about the spinach.... keep us posted cubby.

I don't get why they can't extract the protein from more grains and veggies for the powders besides rice, peas and soy. It'd be great to get some more variety from protein powders by using quinoa, amaranth or the plethora of other healthy grains out there. You would think it wouldn't be that hard to extract them from legumes either? If they can do peas, why not legumes. Guess they're just isn't a need for it, or more companies would be doing it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just started using trueprotein's premium natural orange cream flavor with my spinach. I add one half tsp to each shake consisting of a tablespoon of ground flax, a half cup of spinach, a cup of strawberries, a teaspoon of lemon juice and some maca. The flavor absolutely dominates the spinach. I can't wait until they release a natural banana or berry premium flavor, because that will make the smoothies absolutely awesome.

I am thinking about experimenting with consuming over a kilo equivalent of spinach a day starting next week. I will keep you all posted on the results.

YO! I'm here in the shadows poking around from time to time. Took up snowboarding this past winter and having a blast with it! Weight training has been cut back to 2-3 days a week. My wrist is permanently sprained but I can't help but to keep hittin the slopes and get better at it... its in my nature. Other than that, I'm about to have my 3rd green smooth of the day! Hope all is well with you!

• 2 weeks later...