Nutritional Yeast

Shelby

My mom introduced me to nutritional yeast last week. I popped some popcorn in coconut oil, then we sprinkled nutritional yeast flakes on it. Instant "cheese" popcorn!

sinisterkungfu, you must post your cheese substitute recipe. Cheese has proven to be my biggest challenge in the transition to being vegan.

My mom introduced me to nutritional yeast last week. I popped some popcorn in coconut oil, then we sprinkled nutritional yeast flakes on it. Instant "cheese" popcorn!

sinisterkungfu, you must post your cheese substitute recipe. Cheese has proven to be my biggest challenge in the transition to being vegan.

Sure. I'll post it when I'm home some time. I'm at work right now.

Sure. I'll post it when I'm home some time. I'm at work right now.

I found the one that's from the book I have, online:

Melty Nutritional Yeast "Cheese"

p.59, The Farm Vegetarian Cookbook

1 c nutritional yeast flakes

1/3 c white flour

1 tsp salt

2 c water

1/4 - 1/2 c margarine (or oil)

1/2 tsp garlic powder (optional)

2 tsp wet mustard (opt)

Mix dry ingredients in a saucepan. Gradually add water, stirring with a whisk , making a smooth paste and then thinning with the remaining water. Place on heat and stir constantly until it thickens and bubbles. Let it bubble for about 30 seconds and remove from heat. Whip in the margarine (and mustard). The sauce may get thick if it sits for a while. If so, heat it up and whip in a small amount of water.

VARIATION:

For a richer, stretchier sauce that's good on pizza, substitute for the flour 3 Tbsp cornstarch and 1 Tbsp flour, whip in 1 cup oil instead of margarine, add as much as 1 cup more water at the end, as needed to make a thick, smooth, pourable sauce. Pour it on your pizza and for the last few minutes of baking, put it under the until it forms a stretchy, golden-brown speckled skin.

Is nutritional yeast different than the yeast used in breads? The reason why I'm asking is because the yeast in bread gives me that uncomfortable feeling of having to go to the bathroom but I can't. The funny thing is I never used to be so sensitive to yeast until I became a vegan. Your body really does change. There's a vegan meal replacement powder but I'm reluctant to get it because it contains nutritional yeast.

Update:

Nevermind my question. I just realized that one of the links posted above explains the different types of yeast.

what does it look like?

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/detail/579698.html

This is widely available in the UK. I bought my tub about two years ago and used it once or twice I think. Started using it again over the last couple of weeks, even though my tub is long since past its use-by date.

I don't like the taste in itself, but is OK when mixed with other things.

Is nutritional yeast different than the yeast used in breads? The reason why I'm asking is because the yeast in bread gives me that uncomfortable feeling of having to go to the bathroom but I can't. The funny thing is I never used to be so sensitive to yeast until I became a vegan. Your body really does change. There's a vegan meal replacement powder but I'm reluctant to get it because it contains nutritional yeast.

Update:

Nevermind my question. I just realized that one of the links posted above explains the different types of yeast.

Yes, completely different.

I love marmite, it's the daddy. Does nutrish yeasht have anything in common with it? Is it like a weak-marmitey flake?

I hate Marmite. What a foul food that is.

Anything in common? Well Marmite is quite a thick liquidy type substance, nutritional yeast is dried up flakes, marmite is very dark brown whilst nutritional yeast is orangey/light brown, marmite is totally unedible whilst nutritional yeast is just about edible. So sod all in common then.

Nutritional yeast is quite 'cheezy'. It might taste a teeny bit like Marmite.

Try it, you might like it fella.

Yemmy, I might go to an establishment and transfer some printed paper from my printed paper holder which is housed neatly in my garments and exchange the paper for some FLAKES. Then I can put them in my mouth (the flakes)

You do whatever you gotta do chap.

So long as you are happy, that's all that's important, yeah?