Hayley's adventures in O-town

Car trouble sucks!!! So the part didn't come in Friday, or Saturday. This morning my mom was told when she called, because no one ever called her that it had come in, and would take about 1-2 hours to complete the job of getting the new window fitted. Before we left I was told by my brother that we would leave for Delaware right after my workout at noon. Isn't it great when you get such advance notice! I quite hurriedly packed a few extra items, and my mom and I left for the car dealership. I was at least able to have someone cover the next two days I'm supposed to work. An hour later we were told the wrong part had come in. They sent the part for the drivers side window, instead of the passengers side. I think it was labeled correctly on the package, but inside it was the wrong side or something. I don't really care when we go up to Delaware, except I still have to fill in my paperwork at the Y, and they haven't called yet. But I've been told it can take awhile to get everthing finalized. At least now I have today to properly prepare for the short trip. The only problem is my brother has a birthday on Wednesday, and he's not too happy about having to be away for his birthday. But maybe this way he'll get two birthdays instead of one. We could postpone the trip,but at this point we just want to get it over with. It will be nice seeing some of my family, and my aunt who loves to bake goodies has promised to bake me some vegan cookies.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like we'll be leaving tomorrow morning after we get the new window in our car. It's only about a 12 hour trip, but my brother will be doing all the driving of course. I just don't see the point in getting my license until I can afford a car, gas, and good insurance. So I'll be taking a short break from vbbf, which is probably good since I'm addicted to this place. I'm not worried about skipping my workouts because I'm sure unpacking the storage unit will be quite a workout in itself.

Finally back from Delaware. By far the best part of the trip was getting on i95 south and coming home to Orlando. Wilmington Delaware got smaller,lol. Anyway we got most of my brothers collectibles packed in the car, but the rest of our stuff we moved from the storage unit to my familys garage. I didn't have a chance to try out any of the Wimington, DE YMCAs.

I did enjoy visiting my aunt, but the house was as depressing as I remember, possibly a bit worse. Won't go into any details, but my family in DE has too much stuff, and never gets rid of anything.

My brother who drove to Delaware had a really nice birthday cleaning out the storage unit lol. Then we went to dinner at some Mexican restaurant, that they said was good. They Lied!!!!!!!!!!! My younger brother was getting irritated with me because I couldn't find anything to eat. I only ate half because the beans were terrible. My aunt wholoves the place also mentioned that they were more spicy and she doesn't like spicy food. I unfortunately think that perhaps they used the wrong beans, but my meat eating aunt didn't taste anything like that.

Anyway that was the first night. The next day my olderbrother and I started around 7 am, and finally finished around 2:30pm. We were done earlierbut we helped my aunt rearrange some of the stuff in their garage. Then we got some pics with the family, and went to check out our old stomping grounds haha.

There is this one mall that we used to go to and if you stand on one end you can see the other end, small just like DE. Before we left we got a Rita's water ice, best water ice there is. There don't seem to be any in Orlando, it would thrive here if they had it. So we headed back,and I was quite the packhorse in the passenger seat. I had told my brother the one item I wanted was my USA hockey bag with all my old ice hockey gear in it. I told him that if I had to I would hold it in my lap, well he took me at my word. I can't wait to trade in some of the kid size stuff at Play it Again Sports for adult sized equipment. Then next year hopefully I will join the womens ice hockey team here in Central Florida. It was so good to get back in Florida today. If I ever visit DE again, I will definitely stay at a hotel, and not my familys house. I can't wait to get back to the gym tomorrow, I haven't taken this long of a break in a long time.

Umm, I've only played when I was a kid growing up. This didn't last long either, because it's an expensive sport to play. But I always told myself I would get back into it. It is so much fun,and I know the womens ice hockey team here in Central Florida takes any level player since this is mostly for fun. Even though my balance sucks I always found ice skating easier than roller blading. I also always preferred hockey skates rather than figure skates. When I was playing I was either the left or right wing I can't remember now. And having a stick to hold in front of you helps with your balance too. Anyway when I finally opened my hockey bag I found my USA gloves, ice skates that still fit, but have no laces, and a pair of roller blades in very good condition, and pads for rollerblading in. So I may have to give rollerblading a try, and see how it goes.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick note. Yesterday I got into Portland around 2pm, and so far it's been a blast! I've met several other forum members, and they're all cool. Lean and Green even greeted me with a big Y-M-C-A welcome, lol.

A bunch of us went to eat at Blossoming Lotus, and then took over a gym! I ended up working out chest, with lots of bench presses, incline presses and pec flys. I also did some decline presses for the first time, and I enjoyed them immensely, they may become a favorite. After the gym all the bodybuilders were starving, so we went to another place to eat. I wasn't too hungry so I just had pumpkin soup. There was also a guy filming Robert, and some of us at the gym. I don't know if they got me at all, I hope not, lol. The only reason I say that is because I'm nowhere near strong enough to be filmed lifting weights. On a closing note, for now, this is going to be one crazy week. So far I've met thendanisays, lean and green, Robert, veganpotter, Tasha, Jessifly, speaklow, Octopussiour, and a couple of others I can't remember right now. It was a long day yesterday as I woke up at 4:30 am eastern time, and didn't get to sleep until 11pm pacific time. So I was basically up for about 21 hours. A few of us are about to go out to a vegan bakery, and then we'll meet up with everyone else. Oh and I have not tried durian, yet, but I have smelled it, ha ha.

• 2 weeks later...

I just realised I haven't shared any of my exciting adventures of VV08 yet. Well that'sa bout to change! I will now try my best, if I can remember, to record a somewhat accurate account of what my first time in the Northwest was like.

Friday July 18th 2008: Woke up at 4:30 am (eastern time), went to airport and was on plane until almost 2pm (pacific time). I couldn't sleep, and the free plane ride my brother set me up with had three stops before Portland. The first stop was New Orleans, then Las Vegas. I saw some of the hotels on the strip in the distance. Then it stopped in Oakland, CA, then finally landed at like 1:45 pm (4:45 pm eastern time) in Portland, Oregon. I don't live near mountains, and they were quite magnificent flying over them. It was really cool when the plane was flying over the Grand Canyon, I really want to go there now.

Part 2 of my first day was meeting everyone, leanandgreen, Robert, and Jessifly picked me up. Then I met veganpotter, Tasha, thendanisays, and then we all got ready to head out to eat and go to the gym. I already wrote about that in a previous post, and everyones probably seen the youtube video of potter jumping rope, haha! That evening I also met Octopussiour, bvp, speaklow, and David Tarrfoster. I went to bed early but it was a long day for me! If I've forgotten someone I apologise I'll rember later!

Saturday July 19th: It was an early morning for some, some people went to a co op pretty early. I did not, I went to Sweet Pea Bakery with Robert, Jessifly, and veganpotter. I ended up buying a chocolate doughnut,and cinnamon bun to have later, but there I had some cocoa, and a bagel with cream cheese. I haven't had cocoa, at least cocoa that was good in a long time, so it was definitely a treat. I also briefly looked around the rest of the vegan mini mall.

Then we met up with everyone else, and went to a street festival thing, where Robert did his best to give his article out to passersby. It was pretty funny to watch. Some people got their face painted, and then Robert, and leanandgreen climbed a rock climbing wall. We all finished up there, and went back to the house to pack for Mt. Hood.

I rode with all the food, supplies, and luggage, along with Jessifly to the cabin. We were the first ones there, and started to unpack and veganize the place! WE arrived roughly around 6pm, and I think by 8 or 9 everyone was there. During the ride there were some really good shots of Mt.Hood in the distance. So the first night we had the most at the cabin. There was Jessifly, me, leanandgreen,

thendanisays, Robert, Tasha, darthvegan, tofutod, Matt, Mishe, veganpotter, and like 3 other people that aren't members here. I think this is correct, but I may have gotten the first two days mixed up a bit. The first night we ate around 10 or 11 pm and had some pretty good spaghetti,and salad. I went to sleep early again. But I did win in a scrabble game against veganpotter and Mishe. That pretty much sums up the first evening of our time in the cabin. Lots of hanging out, and getting to know each other.

Edited by hsorlando

Sunday July 19th: I think I may have been the first person up. I found a basket in the kitchen with a pack of complimentary coffee. I brewed a pot, but it sucked. I also ate my cinnamon bun that I had saved. I might also add that I was enjoying my pastry while everyone else was drinking green smoothies, lol.I did end up having a bit of a smoothie too. Later on around 1pm we all went for a hike, and to explore the mountainy area we were in. It was fun, but at times I didn't realise we had gone so high up. This did not thrill me either. Mishe had brought her dog with her, and he very much wanted to be our guide. Every time someone got ahead of him, he'd have to speed ahead and regain his lead. A couple people stopped early on, and went back. To tell the truth I didn't notice until much later. Towards the end of our hike I didn't want to go up as high, so I waited about 45 minutes for the others to finish exploring. I think we got back to the cabin around 3:30 or 4pm. I took a few pics, which I'll post at some point.

After the hike everyone fell aslepp except for me, potter, Mishe, and Robert. Bvp also arrived when we got back. Potter, Mishe, and I ended up playing another scrabble game which I lost at very badly I might add. Around 8, I think, a few of us went out to get some food, and run a couple of errands. We finally got back to the cabin around 10 or 11 I think. Then lean and green made some raw pasta, with zucchini, and we also had salad, pesto sauce, and guacomole. I never ate so much green food! It was all incredibly delicious too. Then there was more sitting around and visiting.

Monday July 20th: Another late start to the day. This day I don't believe we really did anything at all, lol! Just sat around, ate, and visited. Several people had to leave that day. Tasha, Todd, Matt, Mishe, and her dog Chewie left. Then the cabin seemed a lot emptier, because there was only 8 people left. There was still veganpotter, hsorlando(me), thendanisays,lean and green, Robert, Jessifly, darthvegan, and his girlfriend.

I'm trying to remember what we did. We ate a lot that much I know, lol. For lunch darthvegan, and his girlfriend made some bbq sandwiches, and they were very addictive and tasty. Oh yeah wealso had our berry picking adventure. Jessifly looked up a place online and we decided to go and pick blueberries.I think we left around 3 or 4 pm. Me, Lean and Green, and Thendanisays all went with Robert, and the others went with Jessifly. It was quite an adventure. We couldn't find the place. I was up front with the directions, and finally Robert decided to bribe a strawberry person in hopes that we would get directions to the blueberry place. But as soon as we got bacxk in the car Jessiflycalled saying she had found it. But once there we found that all the berries were already picked and there wouldn't beany more picking until that Thursday. We were leaving Wednesday so this didn't help much. Anyway back to the strawberry guy we went. We bought some delicious strawberries, and devoured them before we'd gone a mile. We ended up going to the grocery store again, and buying more food. I think 8 people ended up going through like 90 pounds of bananas or something like that. That night veganpotter made some chimmy changas, which were basically very fiilling burritos. I think Robert ate 2, and then he had some soy ice cream. I was full after only half, I can't imagine how anyone in their right mind could eat two of those things, ha ha.

Tuesday July 22nd: Today we had to get up early to go white water rafting!

It was freezing this morning,and the cabin was at the base of the mountain. We had to go higher up to catch the shuttle. So we drove up the mountain,and got to the resort mountain area to wait. We were all freezing in our swimming attire, shorts,and tank tops, and everyone else had long pants,and coats, lol. At least the coffee shop had soy lattes to warm us up! We were all trying to be brave saying we coulds white water raft in this cold weather, no problem. Anyway we were all very relieved when the shuttle driver picked us up,and said gee it'scold up here, down where the river is it's in the high 80s. So then we perked up, and shuttled over to the Deschutes river. We drove past an interesting area that the driver said was called the high desert, it was quite desert like!

The white water rafting was a blast. I will now post a disclaimer for me. If I looked terrified in all the pictures of us white water rafting it's because I was! LOL.! But I was also having a blast, and the sheer panic in my face makes the pictures of me on the raft quite humorous. At one point Robert was about to "try" to push me in, so I raised the end of my paddle and was ready to hit anyone coming at me, ha ha. But later on I ok'ed getting thrown into the water. Boy was it cold. I wish I had a waterproof camera for this amazing adventure, but I doidn't. Oh well I think there were two or three people with water proof cameras. Anyway it was a fun day. I might also add that we completed our rafting trip half an hour earlier than most people, go vegans! Then Robert, me, Lean and Green, and thendanisays waited for the other group to buy the groceries. For some reason they said our trips took hours and they would be faster. We had another amazing meal of nachos that Jessifly made, we also had salad, and guacomole again! Then we had to start the sad chore of cleaning up the cabin, and getting packed. Of course this night I was wide awake and everyone else was going to sleep early! Oh well.

• 1 month later...

I finally have a spare moment to finish my vegan vacation experience.

On Wednesday we finished cleaning the cabin, then made plans to meet up at an outdoor theme park higher up in the mountain.Veganpotter rode his bike, and briefly joined us at the park before riding back to Portland. Can anyone say hardcore, lol.

I rode with Jessifly, and we returned the key to the cabin. Then after a few failed attempts at finding the adventure park we finally found it. I live in Orlando Florida which is basically theme park central, so I was not easily impressed , lol. Except for the cold weather Orlando pretty much had everything that the adventure park had. So I sat this one out, and ended up guarding everyones stuff, and taking pics.

We ended up getting back to Portland in the evening, unloading and then I think we went out to eat.

Since it's been a while I may have my days mixed up, but on Thursday we relaxed went berry picking for real,ate, and went to a late showing of Batman Dark Knight. That was an awesome movie,and it was the first time I'd been to an Imax theatre. We also went to a vegan potluck before the movie. All the food was tasty, but I do believe the food that was prepared by our group was definitely the best!

Friday we didn't do much, I think it was the gym, hanging out, and later that night some people went to a club, but I went to sleep instead. On one of these days I did meet DV at the gym, boy she's strong!

Saturday was my last day in Portland! Basically just hung out all day went to the gym, to eat, and I think that's a bout it. Didn't get too much rest since I had to be at the airport by 5:30 I think. So that about sums up my vegan vacation experience! It was fun to meet so many cool healthy vegans. I can't wait to come back and visit, and I'll definitely be back!

• 1 month later...

This blog doesn't get nearly asmuch attention as my fitness journal does. Well hopefully as my life gets more interesting it will, lol.

Yesterday was my 27th b-day, and I saw in person Barack Obama, and Hilary Clinton. I went to an early voting rally at the Amway arena, in Downtown, Orlando. Later on the news I heard there were over 60,000 people that went. Didn't get to the rally until a little after 2pm. The gates were supposed to open at 3, but my mom,and I just got to the stage as Hilary started speaking, which was about 6, or 6:15. Then Barack spoke until about 6:50 and it was over. Short, but sweet, and totally worth every second of waiting. A lot of what was said was about the economy, and how much our votes counted. because we have 27 votes here in Florida, he said that each one of our votes was more like 10 votes in another State. The best thing at the rally was when this elderly very short hispanic lady couldn't see Barack, so this big guy picks her up so she can see over everyones heads. She screamed so loud when she saw Barack Obama, it was a very memorable moment at the

event. It was chaotic though, and there was a lot of pushing, but I managed to push through the crowd alright, and kept a tight grip on my mom, so I wouldn't lose her in the crowd, lol. The medics did take out three people that had passed out, and several others, mostly elderly, and out of shape left before Barack was done speaking. So every time people would leave, we would inch up closer to the stage. It was held outdoors and there was a lovely breeze, so it wasn't too uncomfortable. It was a wonderful feeling to be amidst so many people that are hopeful, and expectant of better things to come for the United states. I just feel bad that many of the people seem to have put Obama on a pedestal, and treat him like a god.

Before the rally I had to work. It was only 3.5 hours, and my

shift ended at 930 am. But I had to wait until 10:30, because the car was getting maintenance work. Then my mom, and I tried a new coffee place that we had heard also sold vegan soups. So we figured it probably at the very least would have soy milk for coffee. The name of the place is The Drunken Monkey, and it is very cool. Not only do they have soy milk, they also have very good vegan bakery items, and vegan bagels, and cream cheese, and some vegan wraps. It actually slightly reminded me of a place that I went to in Portland, but only slighlty. They were also not nearly as expensive as Dandelion Tea, which also sells a few bakery items. The other good news is that the Drunken Monkey cafe is within walking distance to the YMCA that I work at. I ended up getting coffee, a cinnamon raisin bagel with vegan cream cheese, and a pumpking raisin walnut muffin with soy butter. OMG the muffin was so good! It would be totally worth it to walk there everyday from work, just to buy myself one of their vegan muffins. then i wouldn't have to worry about the added calories, because I'd be walking them off.

After that We went to the UCF arena and bought the tickets for Celtic Thunder, which is on November 12th. Then a few more errands dealing with bills, and at 2 we finally made it to the Amway arena. The only bad thing about the whole day was how unpleasant my brother was. He had to work the night before, a 12hour shift,and he then had to watch his 2 girls all day with no sleep. Lets just say after a few phone calls we didn't answer his calls. I felt bad that the rally was that day, but it was pretty much a once in a lifetime event, imo. My brother is also not intopolitics, so it didn't really interest him at all. Anyway though it was a pretty damn cool birthday in my books!

It's been fun hanging with RC for the past few days! As we all know he's a handful at times, rofl.

Anyway it's been a busy week. On Thursday I humg out at the gym for about a total of 12 hours. I worked in the morning from 6-10, then ran. Then walked over to Drunken Monkey and ate a quick lunch. Their soups are so good, their brownies are even better. Then I walked back to the gym and waited around for the staff meeting at 2. Then at 330ish I warmed up a bit on an elyptical machine, and was just finishing when Robert finally showed up. We trained for about an hour, then went to UCF where Robert was speaking.

Got home around 10:15, and had to be at work at early.

Worked on Friday from 445am until noon, then tried to rest a bit before my next workout. After our workout we got everything for the Veg Fest at Whole Foods, then had to eat so we went to Etho's Vegan Kitchen, and met another person there. I got the fake philly chesse steak, and some mashed potatos. I wish I had the money to eat there every day! Hung out for a bit, then called it a night.

Saturday was a long, but great day.We transported the boxes from my apartment to Veg Fest, then set up everything and got done at 10 when it was starting. A couple of other people also helped out, and we all were very busy doing everything. At first we thought it might be a rainy/dreary day but the rain went aways and the sun came out and it was beautiful! I thought salesmight be low because of the economy, but apparently we did well. After Veg Fest some of us met up at Garden Cafe, and I think it was the owner was very pleased that Robert remembered her from last year. I think it was probably because she has family in Portland. Anyway that about sums up the busy week. I had a blast,and can't wait to do it again!

• 2 weeks later...

Well the short trip to visit my family didn't start out good, but it did end that way!

Monday morning the passes that my brother sent arrived at about 930am. We rushed to the airport, and arrived a little loess than an hour from departure. There was quite a line at checkin, and only two people working. They guy we got wasn't very nice, and changed our flight to a 2pm flight. He didn't even ask, he just did it. Then of course security was quite fast, and we probably could have made the noon flight. Anyway watching two little girls that are almost 2 and 3, is not a fun thing to do at an airport! Once we arrived at the Philadelphia aierport we were there for almost an hour waiting for our ride. We had just decided to get a shuttle, but my aunt finally showed up. Actually she was there the whole time, but we didn't think she was because we were told she was out at the store and would be right back. Anyway we drove to the hotel, checked in, and then met up with more family at a pizza place. I ended up getting a salad, but it was so big I almost couldn't eat it all.

The rest of the trip was hanging with family and trying to figure out what to do with the 2 cats. North Shore Animal League is too packed at the moment. I hate to move the cats from the home that they have always lived at, but it's either that or they'll end up getting dumped somewhere by my Uncle. So right now I am looking into Best Friends out in Utah. I don't know how it works, but hopefully something will work out. Oh and my cat Maxx has lost a lot of weight, and looks very good, and has plenty of energy. So I think that may be one of the resons that they can't handle the cat, it's too active.

Last night I went to a concert at the "New UCF Arena". I guess that's what they're calling it, because that's what was on the tickets! It was right across from the Psychology building that Robert gave at talk at, so I knew exactlywhere to go.

Celtic Thunder was awesome! It was me, my mom, and a family friend that went. Supposedly I bought the tickets as a birthday present for our friend, but I had alterior motives since I wanted to see them too. The group consists of five guys, from Ireland. They all have amazing voices, the youngest guy is only like 14 or 15 years old, but his voice is incredible. They sang a lot of songs together and did stuff solo too. There was this one song that two of the guys, the 2 cute ones, lol, sang. It was quite entertaining as one guy was singinf about how beautiful a woman is, and taking care of her, and the other guy was singing about a woman using you, etc. They also sang Danny Boy, and it was done acopelo, with no instruments. I of course am broke at the moment so I couldn't buy any of their cds. But they have a website, so I can order it anytime.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, i'm a boring person!

Yesterday night I went to two holiday parties. The first one was kind of a church thing. Then I went to the party that had alcohol at it, rofl. I couldn't drink anything though because it was eggnog. I don't drink anyway, so it wasn't a big deal. Not much to say about the parties. Just that the second was work related, and it was funny seeing everyone dressed up, or at least not in workout gear. It was pretty casual, just chatting and eating at my bosses place. I hit it off real well with her two dogs, one is a rescued pitbull. Of course the hummus and vegetables I brought were a big hit! I tried to get away from the meat as much as i could, but I know some people were wondering why I was sitting by myself on the couch.

Next week I have another party to go too, this one is for all the staff. It should be interesting! I can't wait.

No party tonight because not enough people could make it.

It'll be next Sunday instead, I hope I can get a ride.

Not too much to tell, been hanging out a bit with Robert while he's in the area. Training, eating, and training and eating. I will admit that Robert lives a busy life! It's all I can do to keep up for a few days, and he does this all the time! It's crazy, insane and so much fun hanging out with RC! And I mean that in the nicest way possible.I can't even imagine what Vegan Vacation 2009 will be like. I can't wait!

• 1 month later...

I live a dull life!

Anyway the most exciting fun thing right now are my Wednesday nights. Drunken Monkey's owner likes Lost so they show it there on their big tv. So after my mom gets off work we go out to dinner, which will most likely be at Etho's, then after that head over to Drunken Monkey and catch the last part of their improv comedy before Lost. This will also probably be my dessert night too. We could always watch the show at the apartment but I hate doing that because there are always interruptions, and my mom never actually gets to watch the show. And Lost is one show that's not easily explained.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm at least "trying" to socialize more.

I've had a busy weekend so far. On Friday evening I babysat for a friend at work. It's more house sitting really, because the kids are older. Anyway that gave me some extra cash which always helps. And no,this was not me socializing.

On Saturday the tri club was getting together to celebrate a birthday for one of the coaches. I have an extra copy of the Thrive book, that I think he'd find quite interesting.He's always talking about nutrition to people. On another note, I was spared from having to go to the all you can eat sushi place that everyone was meeting at. I was told they would also be going Downtown to a wine bar near the lake. Well this weekend there's this art/craft festival at the lake, so it was quite packed. Anyway I finally found the bar, but no one ever showd up that I recognised. I was just there to visit, not drink, so I was standing around for a while. Oh well at least I tried.

And tonight after work there's a baby shower for one of my co-workers. I didn't even know about it until Friday when someone I was working with casually mentioned it. I guess the person sending emails didn't have mine.