PERSONAL TRAINNING?

I am currently in a graphics job. I am interested in going into fitness and nutrition. I really don't know how to get started. Full time relationship in which I am supporting my girlfriend. While she is at school. So I can't just drop my job. I want to make a change and I am tired of sitting at a desk. I want to help people get fit through exersize and nutrition. What is the best way to get started. I know there are a bunch of certifications but I have studied on my own nutrition for now 2 years. So I understand the basics. Fitness well I do fitness and I have been to the gym enough to know what things are and how they are used but not well enough to really train someone yet. I know you need to get certified and I have been looking for classes that offer courses and certifications but nothing in my area. Occasionally in a blue moon there are courses but they fill up fast. I just want to start working on weekends and get my foot in the door and get certified. From there I can fly on my own. Just need some advice.

Any help would be much appreciated.

- NASM is the main certification they accept at my gym.

I'm sure some people on here may know some good routes to this kind of career but as it is different here in the UK my advice may not be relevant.

I know exactly how you feel though, I am in an office all day too, & I am currently looking at changing career to get outside more.I was thinking of training as a carpenter or stone mason.

Hopefully someone will post some advice for you buddy - good luck!

Have you talked to the other PTs at your gym? They might have some good advice about how they got there. Also, be aware that much of the job of personal trainers is selling personal training. PTs have a well deserved reputation for being pushy and convincing people to buy training even if they don't really want it. Make sure that the sales aspect of the job is something that you're ok with. Good luck!

Markc7 brings up a very good point. Not only do some gyms have sales quotas for training sessions - some have sales quotas for supplements (which won't be vegan). If you google "personal training" or "personal training certification" you can find some good information on this topic.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I agree

When I went into getting my certified personal training about 11 yrs ago

I took mine through the YMCA. The cost was very reasonable. The courses hrs were a few hrs one or two nights a week

and 8hrs on the weekends. You start with a basic fitness and theory course. and so on.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...