Seitan (that I eat everyday for lunch!) w/protein content

shanedanger

I make some variety of this once-a-week. I am lazy and wouldn't post this if I didn't find this recipe easy and yummy.

approximately 238g of protein per batch!!

preheat oven: 350degrees (F)

2.5cups Vital Wheat Gluten

.5cup Flour (wheat, soy, AP, etc)

.25-.5cup Soy Sauce

.25cup oil

1-1.5cup water

seasonings of your choice

-mix everything well (until it forms a kind of "dough")

-form into a "log"

-wrap tightly in foil

-bake for 40-50 minutes @ 350degrees

NOTES:

-water & oil can be added or subtracted depending on how you like it.

-the best seasoning I have found is Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base

-for mixing, it is much much easier to use an electric mixer

-after approx. 20min, I turn it over for a more even bake

-I cut this batch into 4-5 servings (that's about 48g-60g of protein per serving!)

Thanks for the recipe! I simmer mine with a similar mix of gluten to flour. Baking would be so much easier. I'm making some today and will try a batch of yours! (I'm also a fan of the Better than Bullion no chicken and no beef bases)

Have you tried freezing it? I make mine about once per month and freeze some. It's so much more convenient. If it's a bit dry when you defrost, just simmer it in some broth and it gets juicy again (you can simmer the whole piece, part of it or slices).

Thanks again!

I tried to make seitan once and then I felt like I was eating something that could never be digested. Like bubble gum or rubber. It's the only time I ate seitan. What I did was different from your recipe: only gluten, not mixed with other flour. Not baked, just boiled in water and bouillon cube for about 10 minutes. Is this way of preparing it correct or not?

I simmer (not boil) my seitan for about 90 minutes. I also roll it into logs and wrap it in cheese cloth to keep the texture firm and uniform. I've found that the gluten-only recipes tend to be more rubbery.

Have you tried freezing it? I make mine about once per month and freeze some. It's so much more convenient. If it's a bit dry when you defrost, just simmer it in some broth and it gets juicy again (you can simmer the whole piece, part of it or slices).

I was wondering about freezing it because I would much rather make this in bulk. Thanks for the tip!!

I freeze mine often. Many recipes will tell you to freeze it in it's broth but that's not necessary if you do a few things. Also, you can re-use the broth, sort of as a perpetual broth, for making more seitan. I freeze my broth in a seperate container and wrap each individual block or log of seitan in plastic. If you are going to be freezing it for more than a month, you may want to add an outer layer of aluminum foil. The only downside to freezing without the broth is that it can be dry when you defrost it. Simply put the whole piece or sliced pieces (better) in any broth to reheat, then use it in your recipe or eat as is. Since most recipes have no added fat, I find that simmering first really adds needed moisture.

You have to remember that vital wheat gluten is the protein of the wheat. It is what makes the elasticity of bread to hold in the steam holes to have a light crumb inside a loaf of bread. It is going to be stringy and viscous.

Now depending on how you want the texture to be, you can add different amounts of flour, to make the texture less rubbery (personally, I like a chewy texture sometimes, so I will do straight gluten). You can also put it in cheesecloth to hold it close while it tries to expand durint the cooking process, for a more compact texture. If you are putting it in broth, you definitely want to "simmer" it. A rolling boil will make it pouf up and get a spongy texture.

Baking it? Never thought of that. Does it remain wet? or is more like a loaf of bread?

Right now I am using it on my salad at dinner time with a balsamic vinegarette dressing

I am baking my seiten batch today. I went to Whole Foods over the weekend and my daughter saw Vegan Meatloaf way off in the corner. So we purchased a loaf, had the lady behind the counter cut it up for us, popped it in the microwave after we bought it, and devoured pretty much all of it!!! It was yummy. And the price tag had the ingredients on it!!! (Sometimes they just put the name and not bother with the ingredients). It was just vital wheat gluten with vegetables, tomato paste, yeast, and oil. I added the vegetables after foodmilling them to bits, and the tomato paste and oil made it into a dough. I plopped it in the loaf pan and covered it with foil. I hope it turns out just as good as WF, cause it was an expensive meatloaf ($10)!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I highly recommend baking your seitan. Boiling it tastes kinda nasty in my opinion. That was the first time i ever made it. After that I started baking it instead. I mix my spices and stuff into the gluten. Wet it with vegetable broth and after it is all mixed I pound it like dough for 5 mins. Wrap it tight in foil and bake it 375degrees for about 45 -60 mins. Turning it over halfway through the baking. This makes the seitan sturdy enough to cut thin slices for a philly cheezesteak or thick slices for a sandwich.

• 3 weeks later...