Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Female, 42 and Bodybuilding - DV's Journal
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:58 pm 
Elephant

There is a show at the end of September that is NPC, and another show in October that is ABA (I have never been to one of those productions). I won't go on stage if I am not confident in my physique. I will try my hardest to get to that point though. I have committed to losing the weight and make decisions everyday with this focus. By November I will switch to bulking (though not let myself go this time, so I will not have to lose so much bodyfat like this time!).

It has been a long time since I competed and alot has changed! Suits are now very pricey! I have to get one that is plain for the prejudging ($55) and a really pretty one with crystals for the evening show (starting at $85). Luckily there is a website that has suits for rent! But those are still in the $100s! I won't complain because I saw the figure/fitness suits, and they were $500 up to $1000s for the most bedazzling crystals embellished on one piece suits! Very glamorou$!!

Legs are a genetics thing. I ran track in high school, and later on cross country. Just from running I got large legs. My brothers have large legs too. I passed the thigh gene on down to my kids! They are all complaining that there shorts don't fit their thighs, and are loose on their abs! Good thing athletic pants stretch and are baggy at the thigh area!

I use to play around with Leg training. I read somewhere in a magazine (probably Flex) that medium weights with high reps interspersed with heavy heavy lifting, can make quads and hamstrings grow. Muscle confusion probably. My legs grew with that routine for awhile.

Wait till you cut! If you are like me, I have to make meals for the family and it gets pretty hard to do sometimes. Today was one of those days. Though I have cut out fruit from my diet, I need to keep the frig stocked with fruit for the kids. I went to the store today, and the produce aisles were just bursting with organic fresh fruit! Strawberries, pineapple, melons, bananas, (drool at this point. . . . wah! :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:) and I went to the not fragnant greens section for my meals.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:11 am 
Elephant

Gaia, good luck if you decide to compete this year! Thanks for the long reply - lots of things for me to think about.

I'll probably start a new log in September, after my 2 upcoming vacations. My training is SO different now! I'm currently bulking, until I reach a goal of about 162-165 pounds. The plan is to then maintain my body fat percentage in the 14-15% range until my first contest. After that, my trainer wants to keep it at about 12-13% off-season so that cutting will become easier. As of last week, I was 150 lbs and 19% body fat. I have a lot of work ahead of me.

I'm currently eating 3,000 calories per day, about 160-200 grams of protein, 15-20% of calories from fat - no processed sugar, processed flours, alcohol (except the rare glass of wine). I could go lower on the protein intake but I'm having a hard enough time eating the sheer volume of food and most of the lower fat/higher calorie foods are also higher in protein (seitan, tofu, oats).

My workout routines change all the time and include some techniques that I haven't used before. An example would be: Leg extensions with legs extended for 50 seconds, followed by 50 reps - repeat for 5 sets. I've also been doing a LOT of posing. Sessions have been lasting for approximately 2 hours, 3 times per week (back/biceps or shoulders, chest/triceps, legs). I do either biceps or shoulders on my own and one leg day on my own. Abs are in there about 3x per week.

I cannot say enough good things about my trainer so I won't try. Except that he's the most experienced, knowledgeable, inspirational trainer I have ever worked with - and he looks awesome at age 55. I feel like the last year was spent wandering in the dark compared to this past week! When I consider the money I've spent on trainers in the past and their knowledge/experience compared to my new trainer - well, I've wasted a lot of time and money.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently reading "Woman: An Intimate Geography" by Natalie Angier. Every woman (and man) should read this book. The chapters on aggression and muscle are very empowering and the chapters on estrogen and testosterone are eye-opening. I wish this book had been around when I was in my 20s. Most fascinating was her mention of a theory for human menopause as necessary for raising children. Forget about meat or agriculture being the reason we have big, complex brains - it's all the work our past grandmothers put into foraging for food and raising us while our mothers had a younger sibling nursing. I could go on and on about this book. Just read it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:49 pm 
Gorilla

50 second hold???? followed by 50 reps???? for 5 SETS!!!!???? youre crazy! :D crazy strong that is! good for you. that sounds like a very different kind of workout. you just amaze and amaze.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:32 pm 
Elephant

Really, it's my new trainer. He's the type of guy that you just cannot say "no" to. And the reps are done with light weight (around 50 lbs).

Today we trained Back, Biceps and Core at 6 am. I was there for 2.5 hours. I'm exhausted now and need to sleep.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:54 pm 
Stegosaurus

DV wrote:
and he looks awesome at age 55.

Oh yeah wait till you see me at 55. :wink:

Happiness is a personal choice!
I am the sole source of all my sadness and joy.

"The logic of worldly success rests on a
fallacy: the strange error that our perfection
depends on the thoughts and
opinions and applause of other men."
Source: Thomas Merton

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:51 am 
Elephant

:D :D :D :D

You have a lot of time to catch up!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:09 pm 
Site Admin

DV wrote:
Really, it's my new trainer. He's the type of guy that you just cannot say "no" to. And the reps are done with light weight (around 50 lbs).

Today we trained Back, Biceps and Core at 6 am. I was there for 2.5 hours. I'm exhausted now and need to sleep.

Holy crap!

I want to hear more about this when I get back!

See you in a couple of weeks! Keep kicking ass until then!

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:55 am 
Stegosaurus

DV wrote:
:D :D :D :D

You have a lot of time to catch up!

Are you calling me out?
:boxer: :lachmal: :zunge: :popcorn:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:54 am 
Elephant

Hey DV!

Haven't said hi in awhile.

Wow! How'd you find this guy? Isn't it great to find a trainer you click with?? I will be excited to here about your progress.

I changed my routine up too after suffering complete burnout with my current training schedule and diet. Will return to what I used to do, but it feels good to switch things up for awhile.

Keep up the great work! :-)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:17 am 
Elephant

Hi!

Sorry I've been so slow to reply - big family reunion these past 2 weeks.

VeganJoe, I would never call you out (until I gain another 10 lbs anyway).

Robert, as usual, I'll be leaving town just as you return! Maybe we'll get together in September?

VeggiePrincess, nice hearing from you again. This trainer has been in the Portland area for years but he just moved to the gym that is literally next door to my home (small gym so I moved to a larger one). The manager at this gym has been telling me that I need to meet this trainer for a few months. Thank goodness I finally took her advice! He's awesome.

I'll start a new log in September (vacation to Yellowstone Park). I'm just too swamped right now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:19 pm 
Stegosaurus

DV wrote:
VeganJoe, I would never call you out (until I gain another 10 lbs anyway).

If I loss 10 lbs, will you call me? LOL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:36 pm 
Site Admin

Yo...I'm back in town.

I was at Herbivore yesterday talking with Michelle, the owner, and she said the thought of us when they made their "NEW" tank tops. Now they have tank tops that say, "Eat like you give a damn" and she specifically said, "I thought of you and Diane when I saw the news article when we made these."

It was cool.

I trained in D.C. and since my return. Let's get some food, exercise, or otherwise hang out sometime.

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:02 pm 
Elephant

Hey there, hope the trip was great!

I have one of those tank tops! The American Apparel XL women's tees no longer fit across my upper back (they size them too small) so I was happy to see the tank tops.

I could train Monday or Tuesday night (6 pm or later?). I leave for Yellowstone Park on Saturday and have training sessions on Th, Fri and Sat. I can work chest/triceps/biceps/abs on Monday and anything but legs on Tuesday. If I don't hear from you by Sunday evening I'll give you a call.

Have a great weekend!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:09 pm 
Elephant

robert wrote:
Yo...I'm back in town.

I was at Herbivore yesterday talking with Michelle, the owner, and she said the thought of us when they made their "NEW" tank tops. Now they have tank tops that say, "Eat like you give a damn" and she specifically said, "I thought of you and Diane when I saw the news article when we made these."

It was cool.

I trained in D.C. and since my return. Let's get some food, exercise, or otherwise hang out sometime.

I have a t-shirt like that :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:28 pm 
Stegosaurus

DV why are you fading???
:(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next