Bigger Stronger Fatter

Thanks to both of you

Comp done. I finished tenth out of eleven competitors - so not last

Safe Press - 210 lbs for reps. Made 3 reps.

Medley - 550 frame carry/600 lb tire for 3 flips/push a truck. Finished; the frame was a joke, all my worries were for nothing. The tire was easy. The truck (hummer) was real tough to get started but I finished with a few seconds left on the clock.

Silver Dollar Deadlift - max weight. I made 460 and 510, missed 535. The guy who won my weight class made 900 lb

Conan's Wheel - bombed this The implement was a lot thicker than the one I've trained with, so I might have had it positioned badly, or something. Not sure what happened, but only made it three steps. Far cry from 2 1/4 from last weekend's training, but at least I did well enough on the other events.

The Tombstone Load was canceled. I was unclear on whether this was because the implements weren't ready or time constraints or both, but the contest ended up with only four events.

It was a good experience Can't wait for the next one!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

Dude AWESOME love this stuff. Nice work brother. I just flipped did tire flips myself for the first time yesterday. ALOT of fun. I loved when you were pushing the hummer more than anything the way your body was positioned. That was sick.

Keep it up man; you're only going to get stronger

I look forward to learning some strength stuff from you; i'm sure I will after my comp is over and it's time to bulk up and lift strong!

Cheers all.

I remembered this log a few days ago, and thought about reviving it as I get ready for my second strongman contest in April. Now, since apparently there's interest (much appreciated!), I guess I'll do that

First off -

The contest I'll be competing in is the Golden State Strongman Challenge in Fresno, CA on April 18th. The events are:

1. Yoke and Farmer's Medley. 50 feet each. The yoke will weigh 600 lb and the farmers will be 250 lb per hand.

2. Log Clean & Press for reps. 230 lb log.

3. Car Deadlift

4. Arm-Over-Arm Pull

5. Stones for Reps. 300 lb atlas stone.

I'm coming into this contest a bit more confident than last year. I know I won't zero in any event (except for possibly the car deadlift - the weight is TBA on that). My goals for each event are:

1. Yoke and Farmers - Finish the course. Secondary goal is to finish the course quicker than at least one other person

2. Log Clean & Press. I'd like to get at least 3 reps.

3. Car Deadlift - ??

4. Arm-Over-Arm Pull. In training so far I've sucked at this. But the weight at the contest is also to-be-announced, so I can't make a prediction. Going to train this hard until April and hopefully get better at it by then.

5. Stone. 3 reps.

Ok, with that out of the way, here's my training so far this week:

Monday

Box Squats

3 @ 145

2 @ 195

2 @ 235

belt:

2 @ 285

belt + knee wraps:

3 x 2 @ 325

Log Press

5 @ 113

5 @ 157

1 @ 177

2 x 5 @ 190

Deadlift against doubled purple bands

5 @ just the bands (guessing they added around 100lbs of resistance at the top of the lift)

5 @ bands + 135

5 @ +225

2 @ +275

tried to pull a bit faster:

2 @ +225 - much better

2 @ +275 - better than the first 2 @ 275

Wednesday

Yoke

2 x 50' @ 275

2 x 50' @ 375

belt:

2 x 50' @ 475

2 x 50' @ 525

Farmers

100' w/ turn @ 115/hand

100' w/ turn @ 165

belt:

50' @ 225

Cable Low Row w/ Rope Attachment

10 @ 120

2 x 10 @ 140

leg drive:

5 @ 180

5 @ 200

DB Bench

10 @ 40s

10 @ 60s

3 @ 70s

3 @ 80s

Not a great workout today.

Squat - wide stance

5 @ 95

5 @ 135

3 @ 185

2 @ 225

belt:

2 @ 275

1 @ 315

f @ 335 = not happy

Rethinking continuing to do squats with a wide-stance because: A) I'm not good at them, and B) I thought they'd help with hip strength for the yoke, but I think just doing the yoke every week is enough.

Chain-Suspended Good Morning

5 @ 95

5 @ 135

3 @ 185

belt:

2 @ 225

1 @ 245

Really should have done more volume on the lower-body stuff, but I just couldn't muster the energy for it.

Bench

5 @ 95

5 @ 135

1 @ 185

1 @ 205

1 @ 225

f @ 245 - close, but not quite

2 x 10 @ 135

2-Board

5 @ 185

2 x 2 @ 225

BO Row

5 @ 135

5 @ 185

2 x 5 @ 155

Cable Row

2 sets of 25

Not pleased at all with this workout. Ate lots of tofurkey sausages afterward; felt better.

I went back in the gym this afternoon to coach Emelia and I did a little bit of grip work and some chinups.

Thanks Molly.

A little bit of training today:

Went in with Em this afternoon for some medley stuff. We both, but mostly her, did tire flip/box jumps/chain drag circuits; I flipped the 800lber for a couple sets of four, which was enough to get me sweaty. And then I did a little bit of stone loading: singles to 45" platform, up to one @ 285 and one @ 300. The 300 gave me a bit of trouble, mainly because I haven't done stones in a while and kept gripping it off center, but when it went it went easily.

Squats/Log/Stones on the menu for Tuesday. Front Squat/Strict Press/Rack DL on Thursday. And Yoke/Farmers/Arm-Over-Arm on Saturday. I *should* be able to hit all the events of the upcoming contest every week and still keep the workload at a manageable level.

Thursday

Not the best day. Studying all day yesterday and this morning for an exam, so I couldn't make it to the gym till 6pm, and then I had to rush through everything. Overhead went ok. Still need to learn to train smarter...tendency to max out every workout is strong, but often ends badly

Log - 1-Motion

1 @ 157

1 @ 177

1 @ 190 PR - missed this a couple weeks ago, went up well today

Log - Split Jerk

1 @ 210

4 @ 234 rep pr

3 x f @ 254 - should be in the bag. I went for this without much rest after the set of 4. Second and third attempts amounted to little, but made the cleans.

Front Squat

3 @ 135

3 @ 185

3 @ 225

1 @ 275

2 x f @ 315 - stupid, barely resting between sets, should have just nailed some reps around 260.

Rack Pull - had about 4 minutes left

5 @ 135

5 @ 225

5 @ 315

3 @ 405

2 x 1 @ 495 - hard. Need to get better at these before the competition - the car deadlift is supposed to be about 500lb in hand.

Nah, no major injuries or anything, just feeling stupid

Saturday - Events

Decent training today.

Log Cleans

5 @ 113

5 @ 157

5 @ 179

5 @ 201

5 @ 221

2 @ 241

3 @ 231

Yoke + Farmers, 50' Each

1 @ 375 + 1 @ 125/hand

1 @ 575 + 1 @ 225/hand - NICE! No drops on either one - slightly off contest weight, but still a PR for me, and only took ~40 seconds.

1 @ 625 + 1 @ 250/hand - contest weight for the farmers, 25lb over contest weight for the yoke. But slow and hard - yoke was ok, three drops but quickly repicked each time. Farmer's...pretty bad, dropped immediately after picking them up. Rested a couple minutes, then, with more drops, finished the 50'.

Work to be done

Did a couple long sets of thick-handled farmers with only 125/hand. The thick-handles we have are nice because once my grip gives out, I just rotate the handle over and there's a regular handle to pick them up with This was a good "finisher" - not real taxing to anything except my grip, and that's what needs work.

A few sets of GHR and home.

Here's the video from Saturday's session:

Also, I feel compelled to note that today my order from trueprotein.com arrived: 5 lbs of rice protein for me, 2 lbs of soy protein for Em, and a few assorted pounds of rice/soy for friends and family Just tried the orange juice indulgence flavor with a 75g of rice protein shake...not bad at all

Thanks Robert. Santa Rose is a little less than two hours from here. If you made it out for some training this summer that would be great.

Training Today:

Well, first, food from last night - ate very little, mostly soy yogurt, some strawberries, and raw veggies, all day, so when I got home at 8 pm I began to eat BIG - started off with an appetizer of two plates of nature's burgers, no bread, just pickle, sprouts, and spinach. Then 3 boca patties, the big ones (18g of protein each), a protein shake with about 85g of protein total, and then the crowning glory, while watching Godfather III - a triple decker boca burger, complete with four slices of flax bread, vegannaise, pickle, sprouts, and each soy patty topped with a yummy slice of soy ham. The thing was a monster Came out to a little over 90g of protein.

Thus sated, I entered the gym this morning...

Squat

5 x 5 @ 275 - last four sets belted. Set/rep PR

Log Split Jerk

3 x 5 @ 210 - set/rep PR

Pendlay Row on Block

5 @ 135

5 @ 155

3 x 5 @ 185

3 @ 205

2 @ 225

Underhand grip:

2 @ 225

5 @ 185

The weights over 185 involved less-than-strict form

Then did a couple short medleys: 2 X Sandbag Carry, 2 X Chain Drag, 4 X Tire Flip. Nothing heavy - the chain is quite light - but intense enough.

Light day today.

Front Squat

5 @ 135

2 @ 185

2 @ 225

belt:

2 @ 225

2 x 2 @ 245

Axle Strict Press, Cleaning Each Rep

5 @ 83

5 @ 103

5 @ 123

Stones to 46"

The "tacky" from APT sucks. Or maybe my stone loading sucks.

4 x 1 @ 285 - bit rough off the floor, easy loads

f @ 300 - Couldn't budge it, hands kept sliding off it. I tried putting some jack tack over the apt stuff, but that seemed to make the slickness worse.

Training Day at Fresno: (AKA My Stone Loading is Flipping Awesome!)

We started out with log. I worked up to a couple cleans at 255, beltless and easy, but couldn't get the press - I should have, but jerks were slow today. Still managed a couple/almost three reps at 225, cleaning each rep. Technique was off, still could probably have hit a third rep within the sixty second time limit, so I'll take 3 reps as my lowest expectation of myself come comp time - 4 or 5 would be even nicer.

Then car deadlift - unfortunately, they didn't have the whole setup worked out beforehand, and what we did today may not be the same as what we will do at the contest next month. Anyway, they messed around for a bit with the equipment and ended up switching it to a handles at the sides deadlift, instead of a bar in front. We used a light pickup truck as the weight - with the handles out farther, which should be about equivalent to the weight-in-hands for lightweight, I was able (on my second try) to get one rep. If it ends up being the same weight-in-hands at the contest, I think I'd have a shot at nailing a second rep, if I take a wee break after the first one

Next, yoke. Oddly, no one used the farmers (the contest event is a yoke/farmers medley). Thinking about it now, I should have at least done some picks with their implements, to see how they feel. Too late now The yoke was pretty comfy - I managed 600 (contest weight) for 50', no drops. Not the fastest at all, but good enough. They're only going to be allowing one drop on the yoke and one drop on the farmers at the contest - the yoke should be no problem, a little worried about the farmers.

The arm-over-arm pull (which will be us pulling a semi-truck) isn't ready to go yet, so we didn't get to try that out.

Lastly, stone over bar for reps. 48" bar. At this point, a lot of the guys had taken off (a couple beastly heavyweights and a lightweight pro), so it was down to the guys from Team Big Sac, Chris Carroll (a good 265 competitor), and a couple of under-200 guys. I made the 300lb for 3 reps, pretty comfy, last load slow, but a rep PR for me. Tyler PR'ed with a 300lber. Then I hit a rep at the 330. Then they brought out the 365.

Chris missed the load, Mark missed the load, then I, surprisingly, lapped it, but also missed the load. Chris then got it, and then I got it too Really happy with that, over the moon actually. A bunch of guys started talking shit about being vegan at that point, because Mark's a little too fond of proclaiming me California's strongest vegan Nothing too bad, but I got a little bit annoyed and decided to bring out the 400lber. Gym owner told me no one had ever loaded it there.

Long story short, no one still has But I think with just a little more squeezing power from the arms/chest, I'd have a shot at least at lapping the thing.

Still, happy with the stone PR, and this also is the first time, on any lift, I've gotten a heavier weight than Mark It'll be the last for a while, too, I'm sure, but shows that I'm getting better.

- Eric

Conditioning Work at the gym with Em today, sporting my new sunburn from yesterday:

Medley - 525lb Tire Flip for ~120 feet, equalling 18 flips, and then back to the starting line to grab the wheelbarrow (loaded with 90lb, way too light) and take it the same distance.

The whole thing took 3 minutes. Managed 11 flips in the first minute, five in the second minutes The wheelbarrow was nothing, but I was gassed so it was a bit of work just jogging back to the starting line to grab it.

Em had a good workout: she did a couple medleys, with a tire tire she used to struggle to flip and now is too light, and she equalled her old pr on log, and just missed on a couple attempts at a new pr. If she keeps training consistently 100lbs should fall soon, 90 went up smooth today.