Any favorite Vegan Cookbooks?

robert

The two that I use:

La Dolce Vegan

Good to learn the basics. Many recipes have the same core ingredients, plus shows you how to make your own faux meat and sauces. I usually reduce the oil by at least half in most recipes, and they still turn out great.

Veganomicon

When you have time and patience and you aren't hungry now. But the results are worth it.

I like 'La Dolce Vegan'... Sarah Kramer is a funny lady, very down to earth... I wish it had more pictures of food, although it is kind of fun to be surprised

'Cooking the Whole Foods Way' by Christina Pirello is a wonderful book and has recently been re-published as a vegan-only cookbook (the original version had some fish recipes).

I really want to try cooking from 'Veganomicon' but until I can afford it I have been trying recipes off of Post Punk Kitchen (www.theppk.com), it is a great resource!

• 2 weeks later...
Funny, every recipe I've made from the Candle Cafe cookbook was an absolute disaster and thrown in the garbage. And I'm not exactly a novice.

I've had similar experiences with this book. I do make a few of their recipes but I've had to modify them. I don't believe they tested any of the recipes before publishing the book. It would be great if they included their real seitan recipe - it's some of the best seitan we've ever had in a restaurant. They don't make it themselves but get it from some guy in Pennsylvania (according to the wait staff each time we've asked).

• 1 month later...

I saw it in a bookstore, it's not easy to find it in Montreal/Canada and was pretty expensive, especially for a cookbook with almost no pictures ! It was the samething with the 2 or 3 other books from the same authors. So of course I didn't buy it. In the last couple of weeks I've experimented so much with vegan recipes of all sorts found on the web that I can now just improvize and play with ingredients without any predetermined recipe. I substitute all margarine and oils for tofu, banana, rice milk, etc and sugar by fruits, stevia or natural sweeteners.

. I substitute all margarine and oils for tofu, banana, rice milk, etc and sugar by fruits, stevia or natural sweeteners.

Good for you! FatFreeVegan.com has a lot of recipes that do that too. My only problem with rice milk is the oil in it. I've been using oat milk as of late, but even that has Carageenan (sp?), which I've heard is not too good...

• 5 months later...
Vegan Planet is my absolute favorite cookbook...and I have ALOT of cookbooks!

OH MY GOSH YES! A friend got me this for my birthday and I swear I've never prepared so many consecutive meals from the same cookbook in my life. LOVE IT! And I tell her this all the time...

How It All Vegan is a nice one, pretty simple, didn't feel like there were many entrees in it.

Loved a few of the recipes in The Volumptuous Vegan, but because they're lumped together as meals it's hard to search around for just side dishes or just entrees, and they are detailed, more labor-intensive recipes. I had to buy the book because I'd take it out from the library and not want to use it everyday and would only get around to a few recipes before I had to return it.

DV wrote:

*Christina Cooks and Cooking the Whole Foods Way by Christina Pirello - Now, she has fish in the second book (which was written first) so be forewarned. And she got it stuck in her head that canola oil is bad - which I completely disagree with. However, if you want something that uses no refined anything (think lots of whole wheat pastry flour and brown rice syrup and miso paste) then these will do.

the new "cooking the whole foods way" is supposed to be completely vegan. http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Whole-Foods-Way-VeganRecipes/dp/1557885176/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233587252&sr=8-1

but beware on her show and in her books she likes lots of oil. I have those books and am constantly cutting down the oils.