Going Fruitarian

Bigbwii

I managed to get this photo also!

http://www.rawfood.com/thor2005-06-19.jpg

in my opinion he doesn't look like he trains at all in this one what do you guys think?

There's something very strange going moderators on his forum are very touchy about Steve and if you say something about steve the topic gets closed! I wasn't before but I'm doubting that he's raw now! I guess it's tough when you write a book that was so hyped up you kind of have to live up to it forever! if he isn't raw it's got to be tough!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he looks best in that last picture. Looks like a powerlifter. I'd have to see 300x20 to believe it but he definitely looks like he could bench 300 for a few. So that's not bad I guess. Better than me. I'm sure he's doing the best he can.

I've also always been a skeptic of some of the Arlin stuff that's been put around. Not to mention what you said about Scott Brodie - how can someone use him as an example when he retired from powerlifting over 2 decades ago and is just starting to get back into it again? That's like saying if someone like powerlifter Garry Frank with a 2800 lb. total decided to go vegan after going into retirement and then making claims that an animal-free diet is why he was so strong. You just can't do it that way and expect credibility.

Who knows, maybe Arlin is strong as an ox and can make the benches he claims (maybe he's a genetic freak and was born to bench?) but when someone makes claims that are way beyond what seem logically reasonable by their appearance and are world-class lifts, there should always be a way to verify them as true. This is even more necessary when the person making the claims has something to gain from product sales that could be increased by people believing these statements. I don't mean to sound like a naysayer about anyone's abilities, but when something just doesn't sound right there's no better way to clear the air than with proof - if someone claims a lift that's extremely difficult and impressive then they need to be able to put up and show what they've got. I'd be hugely impressed if I could even see Arlin knock out 300x12, and I've give huge credit for that even if it wasn't as much as the original claim of 20 reps. Will we ever see such proof come out?

Ryan

I'm sorry, 315x20.

http://www.rawfood.com/interviewsa2.html

Q: Are you personally stronger now than when you were a cooked-food eater?

A: I can say that I'm at least twice as strong now as I was when I was eating a Standard American Diet. I used to benchpress 300 pounds three times, now I can bench that weight twenty times. That's a huge improvement in brute strength. On a burnout set, I used to benchpress 135 pounds forty times, now I can bench that weight well over one hundred times. That's a huge improvement in muscular endurance. I also find that I need little or no rest between sets of exercises now.

OK only 20 times I remember seeing a video of one of the greatest powerlifters in history benching 315 for 30. The guy was freakishly huge. So huge his range of motion on the bench was maybe a foot. Still it was a big deal to do 315x30.

http://www.rawfood.com/stephen8.jpg

I'd love to see it.

Also.....

Q: What are the dimensions of the largest male raw bodybuilders you know?

A: I'm 6'2", 235 lbs., Bernarr Zovluck is 5'10", 220 lbs., and Scott Brodie is 5'11", 205 lbs. Scott has squatted 835 lbs., deadlifted 760 lbs., and benchpressed 457 lbs.

I found a page of Scott Brodie online. He did those lifts back when he ate meat. To see him now (as a vegan) and compare it to then, is not remotely a good advertisement for being strong on a vegan diet. Anyway, hopefully Arlin just made an honest mistake when he made it sound like Brodie did that as a raw vegan.

Scott Brodie.... I don't know....

http://www.rawfood.com/brodie.html

This is the reason why he's not well liked on his forum because back in the day when he wrote his book it was the first of it's kind and it was really hyped up then when people bought it a lot of peolpe that knew about training were dissappointed and blasted the book the people that didn't know about training loved it and didn't know any better! He also took a bit of heat for his physique as he was very fat looking and had know definition at all that might suggest that he did wieghts! and on top of all of that they brought out the book and used every marketing tool they could they made big claims about how raw food increased strength,etc, now this has come back to bite them in their butts! now people realise that it's been all about the dollar!!! Now Steve can't be found and none of the rawfood staff wants to give out his picture, infact that last photo is the one he personal gave to them to give out and it's a year old! there's rumour that he's back on cooked food. Yeasterday I went on his forum and asked for any of his body building photo's and they sent this. Soon after I ask for a photo on his forum my thread was closed!

Bigbwii,

That's why we need people like yourself so that things can be kept honest! You're going back to raw because it's what you want to do and not because you're going to make outrageous claims or write a book about it, and to most people your experiences with it will mean more than those of someone who has something to gain monetary-wise who doesn't come out to prove what he says he's capable of. Again, if Arlin would step forward and talk about all this in a public manner then perhaps people wouldn't look down on him, but unfortunately when you put yourself in the spotlight you've got a responsibility to prove something whether you want to or not. Hopefully you'll wind up doing better than Arlin claimed he could regarding his lifts and appearance (I think you've already got the physique part much better already) to show everyone it really can be done on a raw diet, rather than leaving people to wonder if any of it was really true.

Ryan

Well said VE, I think if he was successful with the claims there would definately be more photo's,interviews, books,hype,etc, but the best thing would of been to go public either way! bodybuilding and being raw is becoming a hot topic, alot of people don't believe it can be done with out stuffing your gut to the point where it can't operate anymore! I believe it can be done and I'm gonna do my best to find out what works for me and why! then rock the WORLD!!!!!!!!!!

alot of people don't believe it can be done with out stuffing your gut to the point where it can't operate anymore! I believe it can be done and I'm gonna do my best to find out what works for me and why! then rock the WORLD!!!!!!!!!!

This guy does seem to be stuffing his gut. http://www.charliesgym.info/wst_page2.html

20 bananas a day?!!!

Maybe periodically greatly reducing your calories just to slow down the metabolism......?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys! just popped in to say hi! It's been a real struggle but I'm doing fine! I've lost 20lbs and I'm feeling real good! I've also been working out everyday which is really wierd!!!!!!! anyway I'll be ready to cause mahem in the new year!!!!!!!!!!