[ask]carb cycling with vegan diet

greentea

I haven't heard of carb cycling before, how does the cycle work?

I guess that if you want to do high protein, low carbs, you'd need to be having protein shakes and nuts? Depends on what you mean by "low" for the carbs. Like if you want to stay at 20g or less per day, then I don't see many other options, since many other vegan protein sources also have a lot of carbs in them, or a lot of sodium, usually. That's the thoughts off the top of my head though, maybe there are other suggestions

How about TVP? Isn't that low carb? And there plenty of vegan protein isolates (rice, hemp, pea, soy) that could be used. It would of course be extremely unhealthy but then again I would find it very challenging to find a low-carb diet that is healthy.

hi

can explain for me what the TVP is?? thx b4

TVP for Texturized Vegetal Protein, or something like that, my English ain't perfect. It's proteins isolated from soy that have been dehydrated. It can be in small or large pieces or small crumbs. You just put them in boiling water for a few minutes so it rehydrates. It's like tofu but higher in proteins. I think there's some simple carbs in it too. Tofu has almost no carbs, and it's not "low in proteins" as you said, it's like meat, fish, etc.

What you want is not only a low carb diet, but also high in proteins. I did that once, with 0-30gr of carbs and fats per day, it's like the others said : protein shakes, with 0 calories sweeteners. All this is not very healthy. But the idea is to empty your glycogen storage so the body only uses fat storage as energy.

So some lo-carb hi-protein foods... Most nuts and seeds contain all 3 nutrients so they not ideal. All soy products (miso, tofu, tvp, protein isolate powder, tamari sauce or Bragg's liquid aminos, tempeh. I guess seitan is not too high in carbs ? Then there's all veggies like broccoli, spinach, romanian lettuce. Some sprouts, like alfalfa (4gr of proteins per 20 calories) are the best assimilated raw proteins on earth, high in micronutrients, low in fat and carbs. http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2302/2

Carbohydrates are the key to maximizing protein efficiency (the % of dietary protein deposited into storage). Low-carb diets means pathetic insulin levels, which means very low % of protein will be pushed into storage; most will simply be oxidize or pissed away or stored as fat instead. This is why megadoses of protein are counterproductive and much less effective for body recomposition versus an MNP diet.

Protein will do little to help you without a big burst of insulin (preferably from starches not simple sugars). Tons of supporting evidence in my blog, and especially see the section "Efficient Protein Utilization: The Secret Weapon Of MNP" in this post:

http://veganmaster.blogspot.com/2008/07/elevating-insulin-and-minimizing-fat.htmlhttp://veganmaster.blogspot.com/2008/07/elevating-insulin-and-minimizing-fat.html

Let the science guide you.

I keep my protein sources, but will vary my carbs. I will do a day in which I will have only brown rice and oats, with lots of vegetables (fiberous complex carbs). That will be a day of low carb.

A high carb day means that I will add in sprouted grain bread, and maybe some more brown rice, and 3 more ounces of oats in the morning. I could also go all out and eat more bread things: pita bread, whole wheat bagels, muffins (that I have made), and tortillas. If I do that then I am really tripping on carbs and am in heaven , which is really !

I did the velocity diet, but only for ~2-3 weeks. That was low carb.... basically protein isolates and under 100g of carbs per day. It's not intended to be a long term healthy diet, it's a hardcore fat loss crash.

It was hell but I did lose a good amount of pudge. My kidneys didn't fall out, so that's good. I can't imagine doing something like this on and off continuously, but perhaps a solid food low-carb diet would be more manageable.

Just not my mindset. I'd rather try to eat "properly" all the time and then do these things only if I needed a short term course correction.

thx all...

i use carb cycling as my diet now.....3 days low carb, 1 day high good carb,

i use tofu, egg, whey as my protein source

in my country , there is a food named "proteina", is made from soy but it's taste like meat....i love it

(sorry 4 my english)

Try to add beans on your high carb diet day. They are loaded with protein and the carbs are the good kind of carbs to fuel up your workouts! Long lasting! Good for Leg day!

thx for ur advice

i usually add some rice n yam on my high carb diet.

maybe next i'll add some beans........