Please share any good self-defense tutorial vids!

Richard

A friend and I have recently been looking up self-defense techniques online and trying to learn from them by practicing with each other. It has been cool so far, just been trying the basics of hand manipulation and getting used to responding to a punch with reflexes. If anybody has any good links, I'd love to see them. I'll post up some stuff that I'm using as well, people might find it useful, or they can tell me if it's all bollocks and should be done differently.

I've wanted to learn Krav Maga for so long. There are DVDs teaching that stuff but I never ordered anything - it always seemed like the type of thing that could only be taught properly in a class. At least you and your buddy have been practicing on each other - it definitely wouldn't work solo, heh. I'll be interested to see what videos people have.

I own Krav Maga Basic Combatives. The DVD demonstrates KM standing striking techniques.

roundhouse kick to knee, mid level, and high

front groin kick

front snap kick

boxing punches jab, hook, uppercut, cross

parrying punches

hammer fist

palm strikes

elbow and knee strikes

http://www.kravmaga.com/store/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jnnqlom8

I think you'll need an instructor or someone who's trained in KM to learn proper technique and striking drills if you don't have any experience in KM at all. The DVD does not have intermediate or advanced drills on it.

I've heard from many people online that Bas Rutten's DVD's are good.

I own Krav Maga Basic Combatives. The DVD demonstrates KM standing striking techniques...

That's really cool! I really hope I can find the time to take a class in it some day, as I believe you're right - without an instructor/friend trained in it, it would be really tough to learn correct technique (as you would have no way of telling whether what you're doing is correct or not!).

Yahr, I have a friend who is trained in a couple of martial arts, he knows quite a bit of stuff, and also is friends with a handful of really skilled instructors. So I go to him with questions about what I'm doing, to filter out the crap. His advice so far is to get a general approach, rather than try to learn intricate techniques. He would really advise learning a specific martial art in a class / with an instructor, which is something I am also interested in - but I don't like the idea of sparring / practicing with strangers, I only want to do so with friends. BECAUSE I'M A PANSY

He would really advise learning a specific martial art in a class / with an instructor, which is something I am also interested in - but I don't like the idea of sparring / practicing with strangers, I only want to do so with friends. BECAUSE I'M A PANSY

You should really consider listening to your friend. The only way to effectively learn self-defense is in a class, with a trained instructor, and with strangers as your training partners. Videos and tutorials simply cannot compare to hands on training. As for the training with friends thing, in the art I train we specifically separate people who come in to class with a friend/partner/sibling to train with. How do you expect to defend yourself on the street if you don't train with a wide variety of people, with varying body types, strengths and weaknesses, skill levels, etc?

But honestly, as important as sparring/practicing with a training partner in class is, nothing is as important as having a competent instructor right there, pushing you, drilling you. It's rare to meet someone self-motivated enough to push themselves enough, or to even realize that they can push themselves further. That is where the instructor becomes most valuable, because a DVD can cover the details of a technique, but it can't evaluate your individual needs and push you to take your training to the next level like a real, live instructor can.

And thinking you're a pansy is irrelevant... find a good martial art with a supportive community of people and you won't be a pansy for long, that's the whole point. Most people who start training are not good fighters, that's WHY they're training.

I don't know if you're near London, but here's a link to the London school of the art I train. It's a self-defense based fighting art. Check out the website, video, etc, and if you're close enough to London, consider giving it a try.

http://www.poekoelan.co.uk/

BOOM just smack his face into the ambience of the place

I was watching some self defense videos about a week ago, but I've completely forgotten the name of the guy who made them, which is annoying because they were really good. I'll keep searching and hopefully I'll find them again and post them here.

Thanks again for those links ronnie. I had seen him on Fight Science but didn't know who he was at the time. I watched all those lethal self defense system videos, need to watch them all again, but I think we can definitely incorporate many things that he suggests.

"I broke somebody's ribs" I think is my favourite quote along with:

"Smack his face"

• 3 weeks later...