a new start

Ran on my old high school track. (class of '76!) It has a solid black top rather than the loose and rutted cinders on the one I'd been using. Unfortunately it's a few miles from my current home, while the other was just 1 mile away. 2 miles took about 28 minutes. I went at as slow a pace as I could, trying to keep my hr down on this longer run in the blazing early evening Sun. Mostly I stayed in the 150s, moving to close to 160 toward the end. The strides got me up to 184! Ran two 100 yd strides on lap 8. Stretched before, no warm up but a (9th) cooldown lap and a lot of stretches after. Then bicycle crunches 56, then 36.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My nephew Karl watched me and critiqued my form, which he was enthusiastic with generally, though we tweeked the incline alternating curls, the standing press and the kickbacks and now I can't do as much on those.

incline db press 30#x16x2

flat db flyes 30#x16x2

1 arm db row 30#x16x2

alt incline db curl 30#x8, 25#x8

false grip bb curl 40#x10,9

1 arm db kickback 12.5x9x2

shoulder press 50#x13, 8 wide grip

slow bicycle crunches 60, 50

I think I'm going to feel it tomorrow.

Maybe the other track is longer than today's. Today I stretched, walked a lap, then ran 8 and cooled 1 more, then stretched again. I ran 100 yd strides twice in the last 1/4 mile of the jog. 2 miles took 20 minutes and my heart barely made it to 150, staying in the lower 140s!! (except for the sprints, when it only went to 160 some) This is markedly faster with markedly lower hr than the 3 days ago. It was cooler, and earlier in the day.

Craig's List paid off! I bought 340# of mostly big cast iron plates for 80 bucks today. Now I can change my routine and use more of the bars I have. I think I have to move the whole gym and set up at my warehouse for the weather of the coming months. It's been nice lifting outside in my back yard, under the grape arbor, surrounded by bamboo, especially in the thunder and drizzle.

Moved the gym and changed the routine some. Went easy but will progress soon. I feel I'll need to ad the 3rd set to have a satisfying workout with lower reps and higher weights.

flat bench press 95x12x2

incline bench press 75x12x2

flat dumbbell flyes 30x12x2

1 arm bent over row 30x12x2

barbell curl 75x6,7

false grip bb curl 40x12x2

dumbbell kickback 12.5x8x2

standing press 75x8x2

flat bench (overloaded) 125x6

flat bench 102x10

incline bench 87x10x2

flat db flyes 32.5x10x2

1 arm db row 32.5x12x2

bb curl 75x8,7

false grip bb curl 42.5x12x2

db kickback12.5x8x2

press 75x9,6

leg extensions 50x10x2

leg curl 50x10x2

Karl helped me with the first bench presses a tiny bit. He has had a lot of helpful advice regarding my technique and form.

Today I looked at satellite photos of the 3 tracks I've used, all of which seem a different size, which I only suspected. So, I'm not sure which of them has exactly a 1/4 mile lap. Anyway I went to the apparent smallest track, which surrounds a soccer field, stretched, walked a lap, ran 9, then walked 4 more. The running seemed a nominal 2.25 ml in aprox 20 mins. I stretched a lot afterward and did bicycle crunches, 60, then 30. My hr stayed in the lowest 150s, as I eased to an almost stationary jog if it rose, until after I passed the 2 ml run mark, when it started to climb toward 160. I was surprised that hr stayed near 130 while walking the extra mile at the end. The weather is exquisite today.

Several days ago, when I squatted low down to pick up a plate off the floor, my right knee was injured.

I put off running until today. I slowly ran a hundred yards, before having to stop, limping home heavily.

I got into lifting so as not to be sidelined entirely from my various running injuries, and it even became a competing habit, lifting rather then running. Now it seems I have no choice, as I guess this right knee is going to take a little while to heal.

While I am glad for the changes to my chest, arms, back and shoulders, I can't get used to the relatively spindly legs that replaced my fat thighs and calves since starting to run in Spring.

Edited by John V

flat bench press 110x12, 11

incline bench press 97.5x10, 9

flat db flyes 38.5x10, 12

1 arm db rows 45x12x2

seated alt curls 31x10x2

false grip reverse curl 50x12x2

kick back 15x8x2

standing press 50x15x2

Almost everything is going up in reps or weight each session. We switched from barbell curls to alternating sitting dumbbell curls and lightened up the standing press a lot to do more reps, and so I don't dread them, especially the tight shoulders afterwards.(no massages! ) Both changes lessen back strain.

Now I'm off to a vegan pot luck, a rarity here.

Darn SeaSiren beat me to the punch. Was gonna ask how the pot luck went. Glad to hear it went well though. I need to find some folks in town that eat green. I was gonna toss something on the vegan craigslist forum, but the local one doesn't seem to be active at all.

Anyway, keep at the lifting bra. Gonna hit the weights myself here in 30mins or so.