What Material Things Best Define A Person?

robert

Their fashion.

Superficially you can often tell a lot about a person from the clothes that they wear/the way that they dress. Well outsida work anyway, coz most people don't have too much say about how they can dress for their jobs.

For a lot of people their clothes define them.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there really is any material thing that can define a person, just their taste in whatever you are looking at. You may be able to see what their insecurities are, but not what their thoughts and feelings are.

IMO what defines a person is how they treat a person that they don't have to be nice to. What defines a person is what they do for another person they don't have to do anything for. What also defines a person is how and when they put down others.

Who cares what people spend ? Who cares whether you have a $10, $30, $200 or $500 (think I got them all) watch ? I certainly don't. As long as you are happy with your purchase, it's no one else's business. Personally, I might notice a piece of jewelry on someone and think it's pretty or think it's gaudy, but it doesn't make me like them as I don't know them or hate them as no animals were killed or tortured in its making (please let's not get into mining).

Hey Crash,

I agree with pretty much every point you make here. I agree with a lot of the other comments made previously by others that there are far better things to spend large amounts of money on than watches and sun glasses, but anyway, well said.

-Rob

Who cares what people spend ? Who cares whether you have a $10, $30, $200 or $500 (think I got them all) watch ? I certainly don't. As long as you are happy with your purchase, it's no one else's business. Personally, I might notice a piece of jewelry on someone and think it's pretty or think it's gaudy, but it doesn't make me like them as I don't know them or hate them as no animals were killed or tortured in its making (please let's not get into mining).

Last I checked humans were a type of animal. Rather than waste 500 dollars donate it to a charity that combats poverty. People who couldn't care less and would rather get the watch are not the sort of people I want anything to do with.

Last I checked humans were a type of animal. Rather than waste 500 dollars donate it to a charity that combats poverty. People who couldn't care less and would rather get the watch are not the sort of people I want anything to do with.

I agree that humans are a type of animal, but they are not being hurt by other humans as other humans didn't steal the money from them (provided those individuals earned their money honestly)...certainly they are not helping, but they are not hurting them either.

I agree that those who can help, but couldn't care less are not the greatest to be around. But what about the others that loan the people in need around them money or donate blankets (for free not a tax deduction) ? Maybe it never occurred to some of these people to donate the money to charity ? How would it help anyone if all the people who could donate to charity were shunned and not given the idea to donate ?

Or maybe these individuals did donate money to a charity or helped out somewhere at a shelter or a soup kitchen and still had or saved every penny they could for the $500.00 watch ?

You can't judge people on a watch alone Jay. As you feel so strongly about this, maybe the next time you are gifted with a $200.00 watch, you could take the opportunity to make others think about donating to charity by, "Thank you for the watch, but I really prefer XXX watch. Would you mind if I returned this watch, got the watch I want and donated the extra money to charity ?"

I don't think a 200 dollar necessarily makes you an asshole, just a 500. It is possible that at 200 you are paying for some useful fancy solar powered etc stuff to get something that is worth the price in the long run. I don't think that is possible at 500 dollars.

As far as people noticing it Meggy, I purposely used to wear ten dollar watches because I hoped it might help keep the wrong type of people away from me.

I apologize for being the 'wrong kind of person', or maybe just an asshole. Believe it or not, it IS possible to get a useful watch at 500$, that is indeed solar powered, and should not ever have to be replaced. I would know because I purchased it.

Oh, and I do donate to charity. I've also put in many, many volunteer hours. I no longer make the kind of money I used to, and I work my ass off for every penny. When I manage to save some up, I would happily spend another $500, for myself this time, though probably on a bag I've been eyeing. I already have a watch - for which I payed a mere $150. Maybe that makes me less of an asshole?

I agree that those who can help, but couldn't care less are not the greatest to be around. But what about the others that loan the people in need around them money or donate blankets (for free not a tax deduction) ? Maybe it never occurred to some of these people to donate the money to charity ? How would it help anyone if all the people who could donate to charity were shunned and not given the idea to donate ?

Well that's why I'll be sure to tell them they're an asshole for buying a 500 dollar watch.

You can't judge people on a watch alone Jay.

I sure as hell can.

Interesting thread!

I've met a few people who have both the altruistic side as well as the materialistic side - people have donated thousands to charities (I'm talking animal rights/welfare here primarily) yet they do wear expensive clothes, watches, drive fancy cars etc. at the same time. Now, the question is - even though they chose to donate large (one case in know of, in the range of $35-40k/year), does this impact your views on them because they also choose to spend a lot on themselves as well?

I do understand that it is important of giving - heck, I've already lost count of how much we've donated in the past year to worthy causes - but do people here think that if someone chooses to have overpriced luxuries is more selfish and "assholeish" even if they do a lot of good with a large amount of their finances? A few "rich" people I've met in the vegan community felt like they were unwelcome to be deeply involved in the movement because they felt that choice to buy expensive things was frowned upon, even though they put lots of money into the movement through their donations. I say that it takes all types and I'd rather judge by actions than possessions, but that's just me!

I wouldn't buy the watch, simply because it's overpriced and I don't need it. I am a little of a geek and I sometime buys rediculous little technical things (like the little car that you can steer with bluetooth from your cellphone) but I think it's fun so I don't think much of it.

According to me charity is not the best way to fight poverty. Charity has it's clear value in for example the tsunami catastrophy, the disaster in New Orleans or the earthquake in Pakistan.

The best way to fight poverty is to spend your money wisely so that you create more and better jobs for poor people. A trip to a poor country for example can give more than charity in that it both gives you the opportunity to spend money directly to the people who need it (no corruption to stand in your way) you meet other people from other countries and they meet you (the only real way to fight rascism) and you will probably get a tan .

I don't think a 200 dollar necessarily makes you an asshole, just a 500.

awesome

i would love to see the logic that you used to ratify the dollar value cutoff point.

i have a tag . . . .what does that make me?

I wouldn't buy the watch, simply because it's overpriced and I don't need it. I am a little of a geek and I sometime buys rediculous little technical things (like the little car that you can steer with bluetooth from your cellphone)

the one for sony ericsson t610 and all subsequent tri band sony ericson phones? i want to get the bluetooth game controller for my w900i

I would never spend $500 on a watch. I can't imagine spending $100 on one. And I am put off by people who buy expensive things as status symbols, to let other know they have money. But if a person buys an expensive watch for other reasons, like they personally like the way it looks or believes it's more cost effective in the long run to buy a watch they'll have for the rest of their lives, then I don't see any problem.

As I said, I could not imagine spending that much on a watch. I don't care about jewelry, have no desire for diamonds, etc. But it's all just personal preference. If I had $500 to spare, I might just spend it on something else. Like a weekend trip/holiday. What's the difference between that and the watch? They are both things that are not necessary, but that give the purchaser some kind of pleasure.

If I met someone with a $500 watch, I'm sure I'd have no clue at all that it cost that much, so I would not be able to judge them on it anyway.

I don't think that spending $500 on a watch makes you an 'asshole', but I do think it's an amazing waste of money. Regardless of whatever else you could spend the money on, from a value point of view, it makes me laugh. Like those big TVs you can get now, that cost like thousands of pounds / dollars. And people go on about how its better definition and blah. Is it really $7000 worth different? Likewise with a watch, I spend like $10 or something. Imagine how many times it would have to break before I get up to the $500 mark. That's 50 watches. What do you do in everyday life that makes you think you're going to smash your watch to pieces? I understand such specific expensive pieces of equipment when there is no other way, for example, people who do deep sea diving, they need special stuff which can withstand that depth of water. I love it how on just regular joe-bum watches they tell you how deep you can go in water, like it matters to most people. Another thing! Personalized number plates! If they were cheaper, go nuts, it's funny to have funny stuff written on your car. But I tell you what's not funny; £2000. Well I'd rather just write something on my car in permanent marker, which is a lot cheaper.

for example, people who do deep sea diving, they need special stuff which can withstand that depth of water. I love it how on just regular joe-bum watches they tell you how deep you can go in water, like it matters to most people.

They are actually dive computers, pretty cool.

I have a $500+ watch which I wear. However, it was a gift (never thought about cashing in )

Anyway this conversation brought up something interesting. I came out to help a gentleman with a large order from my company and one of the first things he said to me was "I really like your watch". He noticed right away...he was wearing a Rolex Submariner. It struck me odd until this conversation, apparently people do notice things like that....weird.

hmmmm....

im reading this thread and i am ambivilent.

on the one hand, i suppose that it is your money, so you are free to spend it how you please...

but

spending 500 bucks just on a single watch strikes me as a little odd. for starters, you can get a really good, long lasting, high quality watch for $100-$150. i have two (one a 21st birthday present, one i bought before). in my opinion (and i do love watches - they fascinate me) anything more that you spend is unnecessary. if you have $500 burning a hole in your pocket why not buy a $150 watch and give the rest to your local AR group?

now i am not someone who is against material posessions., i myself have a whole heap of stuff, but it all has a practical use, and most of it is used very regularly. for instance - i have two bass guitars (one with frets, one without), a big amp (i used to do gigs), a drum kit (im just starting to learn), decent hifi system (i love music), largish tv (we love film, and it was bought from a second hand shop!), $1800 worth of gym equipment (used 5times a week), playstation (would have gone crazy without it when kathryn was doing her final disertation this year!) and stuff like that.

i think that there is a difference between buying stuff that you really dont need, and stuff that can positively enhance your life if you get it ( ie hobby relating things like music and lifting). its quite a fine line between the two, but a $500 watch is IMO on the wrong side of that line.

jonathan

I don't get why everyone's getting hung up on the $500 dollar mark. That's how much I spent because it was a gift and I will always give the absolute most I can when buying a gift, but as watches go that is not particularly expensive. It's nice, it's functional, it should last a lifetime, but it's no Rolex. Hell, it's not even a Tag. $500 may be a fair chunk of change for a lot of things, but it's merely moderate for a watch.